• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Edit:
Thread title:
Yoshinori Ono is no longer the head of Capcom's fighting games division.

Article headline: Yoshinoro Ono is no longer head of the division that houses Capcom's fighting games, Monster Hunter's Ryozo Tsjuimoto has taken the helm

(Yes, the article has a typo)

The article is misleading. Ono hasn't been head of consumer games division 2 since 2016. He was demoted to general manager of that division since then and seems to have been demoted even more since April 2018.

Ono's current position is: General Manager of
Management Department 2
and SF Business Department

Tsujimoto didn't become head of consumer division 2 until 2018. So the article has already framed this so wrongly as to suggest Tsujimoto took Ono's job when the heads were already unsatisfied with Ono.

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tsjuimoto is the head? so he's spearheading both this and Monster Hunter now? weird

Oct 25, 2017
So we might actually get a good fighter now?

Anyways, Ono seems like he is a super likable dude and I hope he does well no matter what he ends up doing.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
What? No more Ono at events, asking for Shoryuken pics and doing weird and funny things? End of an era, though SFV and especially MvCI weren't the type of success one would've expected. I wonder what he'll be working on now.

So Monster Hunter fighting game incoming?
Monster Hunter already has a lot of fighting game DNA in it and certainly its fair share of references to Street Fighter as it is.

Is Tsujimoto still heading up the Monster Hunter team in addition to this? I wonder if he's about to get promoted to being the general manager of all development divisions at Capcom.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
End of an era. Ono is a legend.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Monster Hunter world was a mega hit, but I don't understand why you would put even more pressure on him to save he fighting games division as well.

Feel for Ono-san, he did his best but SFV was just too deep a hole to dig put of.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
Good, other than being a meme I've never seen stories about him actually doing that isn't blanka figure broken unintelligible english trolling.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully Ono will do better focusing on one project instead of trying to manage the entire division.

Voxl

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Might be for the best. Finally he should be able to get some rest.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Yeah, but why the guy who already has his hands full with MH? Was there seriously nobody else in Capcom that could do that job? Its not like Capcom has any other fighters except SF at this point?

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not surprising with their fighters under performing.

They probably want to up the overall quality ala MHW, DMCV etc.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't this happen a while ago? I'm fairly certain Ono is still THE fighting game guy there, this is more about the failure to launch stuff like Deep Down.

BoosterDuck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but why the guy who already has his hands full with MH? Was there seriously nobody else in Capcom that could do that job? Its not like Capcom has any other fighters except SF at this point?
Capcom is probably just silently shrinking its fighting games division since they haven't seen success from it since like UMVC3 lol

Bernkastel

Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Jan 15, 2018
Brazil
crying.gif

OP
OP

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all know that this change took place awhile ago, right?

Ono is still the General Manager of the Fighting Game Division.

This is super old news, Eventhubs is just now reporting on it.

Didn't this happen a while ago? I'm fairly certain Ono is still THE fighting game guy there, this is more about the failure to launch stuff like Deep Down.

Had no idea, then again seems I'm not the only one.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Hate to say it but maybe it's for the best, he's a great guy that's really passionate about what he works on but Capcom's fighting game division is definitely in need of a new direction and leadership

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I thought this was announced back in March.

Must be a slow day for event hubs.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I think we've known this for a while. I'm not sure why EventHubs is making a big deal out of this now.

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they gave their fighting games an actual budget and enough time to cook in the oven.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
Capcom is probably just silently shrinking its fighting games division since they haven't seen success from it since like UMVC3 lol

The thing is that everyone on this forum likely doesn't have knowledge on how Capcom is doing in terms of ventures like the Capcom ProTour or other SFV related efforts right now (since we know that MvC is pretty much dead atm).

If CPT is doing well for them financially, then yeah, they're probably going to invest more time and effort in doing that.

If for some reason it actually hasn't been despite 3 seasons of trying to do so (and success is pretty nebulous here; we could mean "successful" in terms of giving some kind of benefit or profit, or maybe Capcom's definition of success means "true eSports demographics and numbers").. yeah, SFV is not going to be having fun times ahead, nor any prospects for any other hypothetical projects.

Oct 29, 2017
It's okay, Ono has his hands full with Deep Down.

Really twisting the knife, damn.

Given the middling performance for SFV and the potentially franchise-ending shitshow of MvC:i, it makes sense. Still, not having Ono around is going to feel weird given that he's been the face of Capcom fighting games for something like 10 years at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.