• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017

Notice of Resignation of a Director andAnnouncement of Personnel Changes | Press Release | CAPCOM

標記の件、当社の取締役が下記のとおり辞任することになりました。また、2020年4月1日付で、下記のとおり執行役員の人事異動を実施いたしますので、お知らせいたします。

From the link:

Notice of Resignation of a Director and
Announcement of Personnel Changes

Capcom Co., Ltd. announces the following director's resignation.We would also like to announce the following personnel changes for our corporate officers, effective April 1, 2020.

1. Director Resignation
  • (1) Resigning Director
    Kunio Neo
    Director
    Executive Corporate Officer, Head of Global Marketing Division,
    in charge of Global Marketing Business of the Company
  • (2) Reason for Resignation
    Health
  • (3) Date of Resignation
    March 31, 2020
  • (4) Comments
    Following this resignation, the number of Directors will still meet the number stipulated in relevant laws and regulations and in the Articles of Incorporation.

And:

Screenshot_20200306-1822092.png

Screenshot_20200306-1823183.png

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Hopefully he indeed learned from the Redbull Esports scene. Though he might have some trouble with how tight capcom likes to keep budgets.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Relatively big demotion overall :(

Demotion to work on and be the face of Street Fighter at an Olympics cross promotional event. Maybe a demotion overall. Once it's over then it might feel more like a demotion I guess with smaller stuff like Capcom Cup and possibly more in the future. But Ono has been the face of Capcom for the fighting game people so its a pretty obvious choice to make it official.

Who knows he might be back in the dev + executive side once they gear up for 6 or better yet Darkstalkers, or better better Capcom All Stars!

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How much creative input/control did Ono have for SF5? If he had some then honestly I hope this means we move away from the overall goofiness that's been such a big part of the series since 4 (not saying there can't be goofiness but 4 and 5 have an excessive amount).

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Demotion to work on and be the face of Street Fighter at an Olympics cross promotional event. Maybe a demotion overall. Once it's over then it might feel more like a demotion I guess with smaller stuff like Capcom Cup and possibly more in the future. But Ono has been the face of Capcom for the fighting game people so its a pretty obvious choice to make it official.

Who knows he might be back in the dev + executive side once they gear up for 6 or better yet Darkstalkers, or better better Capcom All Stars!
Considering the positions he lost, I'm not sure if Ono will have much of an impact on the development side of things going forward. He's still likely gonna be the face of Street Fighter to the public, but it may be more of a figurehead role now.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
How much creative input/control did Ono have for SF5? If he had some then honestly I hope this means we move away from the overall goofiness that's been such a big part of the series since 4 (not saying there can't be goofiness but 4 and 5 have an excessive amount).
yes, this is my hope too. sf needs to be "cool" or stylish again.
and please: bring world tour mode back.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Dunno ... but it feels like Ono was kinda ... demoted? Would be interesting to know if that was his decision or an upper decision made for him.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Ono hasn't been in charge for a while if I remember right it's been years that the other monster hunter guy took over. Ono is just the face of capcom esports at this point. Also the person people send their abuse too when he has no power.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
I'm waiting for Capcom's next FY change of duties list where Ono is demoted to Head Of Janitorial Supplies Acquisition.

Oct 25, 2017
Capcom talks about esport constantly, but what do they really have in that regard outside of SFV? Are they planning to create more viable competitive games?

Feb 24, 2018
Wait didn't this happen already? I thought they'd made the Producer of Monster Hunter World the head of Division 2 or am misremembering?

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Capcom talks about esport constantly, but what do they really have in that regard outside of SFV? Are they planning to create more viable competitive games?

That e-sport focus is what killed SF V within sales & perceptions within both tournament pros & casuals in the first place.

If they're smart, they'll go back to the drawing board of what made other SF games such as SF II: Champion Edition, Super Turbo, Alpha 2 & 3, SF III: 3rd Strike, & even Ultra Street Fighter IV memorable within people & tournament players while keeping casuals happy in terms of single player content.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That e-sport focus is what killed SF V within sales & casuals in the first place.

If they're smart, they'll go back to the drawing board of what made other SF games such as SF II: Champion Edition, Super Turbo, Alpha 2 & 3, SF III: 3rd Strike, & even Ultra Street Fighter IV memorable within people & tournament players while keeping casuals happy in terms of single player content.
E-sports will still be the focus on SFVI, you can be 1000% sure of that. But they'll probably give the casuals way more content this time.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Ono hasn't been in charge for a while if I remember right it's been years that the other monster hunter guy took over. Ono is just the face of capcom esports at this point. Also the person people send their abuse too when he has no power.

Based on some later interviews, although they moved the entire fighting game division under him, it was basically just changing its position in the administration table. Ono still was the direct leader of fighting game development (general manager of manager department 2). This new change seems like it'd completely strip that role from him.

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this the same position as Harada now?
Harada is the general producer at Bandai Namco, in charge of overseeing all major IP, effectively the same position as Takahashi at Nintendo (and Miyamoto before him).

In this position, Ono greenlights events where people fight each other in video games.

Last edited:

ImaPlayThis

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not too sure why people are surprised by this I remember last year hearing that he had been demoted and removed from the development side of capcom but they were waiting for a good time to officially announce it. Like I know you shouldn't believe the rumours but hearing the news now I don't find this surprising

edit - I just hope this means a fresh new approach to their new fighters, while getting away from the awful art direction of 4 and 5 and toning down some of the goofiness

ImaPlayThis

Oct 26, 2017
As others have said they do Monster Hunter and have tried Resident Evil. As for fighters don't forget they tried to make SFxT their second game and one year a cpt did, however SFxT never caught on, they then tried to have MVCi be their secondary fighter but due to problems on marvels end those plans didn't mature to anything. If the darkstalkers ports sold well then they would have made a new darkstalkers with esports in mind and on some level 30th anniversary edition was created to help TOs and I think capcom were hoping for a little resurgence of the older SFs and/or SF mystery game tournaments

Oct 25, 2017
As others have said they do Monster Hunter and have tried Resident Evil. As for fighters don't forget they tried to make SFxT their second game and one year a cpt did, however SFxT never caught on, they then tried to have MVCi be their secondary fighter but due to problems on marvels end those plans didn't mature to anything. If the darkstalkers ports sold well then they would have made a new darkstalkers with esports in mind and on some level 30th anniversary edition was created to help TOs and I think capcom were hoping for a little resurgence of the older SFs and/or SF mystery game tournaments
Well that doesn't sound too great then, but I still see their current efforts. Really makes me wonder what they have planned. Atleast it gives me hope for another non-SF fighting game.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Damn Ono stop getting less important positions! You are the only one that comes to the Brazilian game convention so I can't give my ideas to other people =P

Rafako

Dec 19, 2017
Harada is the general producer at Bandai Namco, in charge of overseeing all major IP, effectively the same position as Takahashi at Nintendo (and Miyamoto before him).

In this position, Ono greenlights events where people fight each other in video games.

At first when he announced it, it sounded like it would be just that, but it seems he still has producer "powers" in Tekken.
Maybe Ono still have them?

Strings

Oct 27, 2017

At first when he announced it, it sounded like it would be just that, but it seems he still has producer "powers" in Tekken.
Maybe Ono still have them?

He was promoted again in May:

He oversees all their original IP now (Tales, Ace Combat, Elden Ring (I guess?), Tekken, etc).

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
To me this seems like one of those "encouraged retirement" situations like how SEGA shoved Yu Suzuki in a broom closet for several years.

if this was Ono's preference, cool. If not, that...really sucks

Rafako

Dec 19, 2017
He was promoted again in May:

He oversees all their original IP now (Tales, Ace Combat, Elden Ring (I guess?), Tekken, etc).

Oh I see, I missed that step. So Ono could follow the same route.
What I don't get is why people were so positive with Harada when he was named esports producer, and they are being so negative with Ono talking about demotion and retirement.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Based on some later interviews, although they moved the entire fighting game division under him, it was basically just changing its position in the administration table. Ono still was the direct leader of fighting game development (general manager of manager department 2). This new change seems like it'd completely strip that role from him.
Before he was demoted from division head to department head. He also lost control of the Tokyo MMO team in the process, probably as a result of Deep Down/Panta Rhei's failure.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Oh I see, I missed that step. So Ono could follow the same route.
What I don't get is why people were so positive with Harada when he was named esports producer, and they are being so negative with Ono talking about demotion and retirement.
He was still the head of Bandai Namco's fighting game division at the time, he just took the eSports role on as extra. In this case, Ono is moved to solely being the eSports Exec Producer (under Araki, who is the eSports lead), as well as no longer the head of a development division at all. It's definitely less responsibility for him overall >.<

Gaiseric

Aug 4, 2019

This seems like the million dollar question.

At this point Ono seems like he's just the head of Capcom Cup planning and that's it.

Unlike ArcSys and Bandai, Capcom put all their chips in SFV and not much else.