• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Hey there. I have only played 1 Yoshi game, and it was just the demo released this month. So really, never once. In some videos released in the last few days they have shown Yoshi eating a shell and spitting it back out. Is it possible in old games it depended on enemy type? Or were you able to spit out everything?
In past games, you had to press Down to swallow, or you could spit it out. There were also unswallowable things like Koopa shells, which can only be spit out. There were even things that swallowed automatically, like a coin or the Fuzzies that make you dizzy. Being able to swallow at will kinda gave you one extra projectile to work with.

Ryu_Ken

Oct 30, 2017
Finally fired this up for my 4yr old to play and she loved it. Resolution was a bit pants and will hopefully be improved in the final version.

Jun 23, 2018
Canada
I mean, why is it controversial to say the game where you find 5 cows in the background is clearly aimed at kids? It's not a value judgement. That's literally stuff you do in children's activity books. Combined with the stiff and reduced movement abilities, it feels like they looked at Yoshi's Story and said "this is too challenging". Music is brutal but the art saves it.

I read the Link's Awakening thread and actually yeah, the majority of it is supporters of the artstyle whining unprompted that people don't like it, dogpiling and telling the people who don't that their taste is shit and they should be ashamed. That's not even paraphrasing it. Meanwhile majority of detractors were thoughtful about why they didn't like it and never criticized anyone for liking it. And I have grown to love the art style so no need for armchair psychology.

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
The trailer at the end of the demo got me super hyped ! I'm a big sucker for Yoshi games and I'm 41...they are so cute and relaxing.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, why is it controversial to say the game where you find 5 cows in the background is clearly aimed at kids? It's not a value judgement. That's literally stuff you do in children's activity books. Combined with the stiff and reduced movement abilities, it feels like they looked at Yoshi's Story and said "this is too challenging". Music is brutal but the art saves it.

I read the Link's Awakening thread and actually yeah, the majority of it is supporters of the artstyle whining unprompted that people don't like it, dogpiling and telling the people who don't that their taste is shit and they should be ashamed. That's not even paraphrasing it. Meanwhile majority of detractors were thoughtful about why they didn't like it and never criticized anyone for liking it. And I have grown to love the art style so no need for armchair psychology.
Because it is a bit of a hot take. The demo was literally the first stage, and from the trailers, it seems to be quite varied.
I think that the game is aimed for those that want a relaxing experience with platformers, instead of children as you say.

Jun 23, 2018
Canada
Because it is a bit of a hot take. The demo was literally the first stage, and from the trailers, it seems to be quite varied.
I think that the game is aimed for those that want a relaxing experience with platformers, instead of children as you say.

There's nothing hot about it. It's easy and cutesy out the wazoo. Even without more levels to play, the other footage and the infinite flutter jump say a lot about what the main quest is like. Nothing derogatory about it but it's clearly kid oriented even despite the fact that adults who want to chill can enjoy it too

Shawndroid

May 24, 2018
Canada
There's nothing hot about it. It's easy and cutesy out the wazoo. Even without more levels to play, the other footage and the infinite flutter jump say a lot about what the main quest is like. Nothing derogatory about it but it's clearly kid oriented even despite the fact that adults who want to chill can enjoy it too
That's what people say about most Nintendo games. And they often mean it in a derogatory manner. So, you saying the same thing doesn't lead people to the opposite conclusion.

Besides, most kids play Call of Duty and GTA. Well, Fortnite, actually. Those are the kid games these days.

wildcat

Oct 28, 2017
Just played the demo, I really enjoyed it, as a game to chill, collect things etc - super relaxing - kinda short though (the demo), compared to the Octopath Traveler I played :P
35y old here, and liking it.

Jun 23, 2018
Canada
That's what people say about most Nintendo games. And they often mean it in a derogatory manner. So, you saying the same thing doesn't lead people to the opposite conclusion.

Besides, most kids play Call of Duty and GTA. Well, Fortnite, actually. Those are the kid games these days.

I have a K. Rool avatar. Clearly I'm a Nintendo fan and obviously I know this - I shouldn't need to over explain myself on the topic of games for kids. I feel like people just choose to take "for kids" as an insult because they think it means the person is calling them childish for liking it. All I'm clearly saying is the game isn't designed for adults first and foremost, and the gameplay feels a bit weak because of that. "It's not for me because it's clearly aimed at younguns" is not the same as "this game is shit because it's childish". The only actual critiques that are deserved are the music and controls.

Call of Duty and GTA and Fortnite are played by kids. They're not for kids - look at their ratings and content. Yoshi is for kids just like Kirby is for kids, while Mario, Donkey Kong, Zelda, Splatoon and maybe Pokemon are the "for everyone" titles. There's more depth to the minute-to-minute gameplay in the latter titles. No one's stopping someone grown up from playing Yoshi, but in a game that is clearly designed like this it just feels silly to say "nooo! it's NOT for kids! I can't admit I'm not the target market for Yoshi anymore!"

dred

Oct 27, 2017
I have a K. Rool avatar. Clearly I'm a Nintendo fan and obviously I know this - I shouldn't need to over explain myself on the topic of games for kids. I feel like people just choose to take "for kids" as an insult because they think it means the person is calling them childish for liking it. All I'm clearly saying is the game isn't designed for adults first and foremost, and the gameplay feels a bit weak because of that. "It's not for me because it's clearly aimed at younguns" is not the same as "this game is shit because it's childish". The only actual critiques that are deserved are the music and controls.

Call of Duty and GTA and Fortnite are played by kids. They're not for kids - look at their ratings and content. Yoshi is for kids just like Kirby is for kids, while Mario, Donkey Kong, Zelda, Splatoon and maybe Pokemon are the "for everyone" titles. There's more depth to the minute-to-minute gameplay in the latter titles. No one's stopping someone grown up from playing Yoshi, but in a game that is clearly designed like this it just feels silly to say "nooo! it's NOT for kids! I can't admit I'm not the target market for Yoshi anymore!"
I don't think Yoshi games are "for kids" any more than Mario games, especially the more modern entries. They all have the common design trait of being fairly easy to finish but the challenge comes from trying to 100% everything and do all the optional content. Even in terms of pure platforming challenge, some of the late optional stuff in Wooly World was no joke, same as Yoshi's Island.

You're trying to make the argument that Yoshi games are Little Tikes toys, I'd say they're more like Legos.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Played the demo with my daughter - it was fine. I dunno.

It was a pleasant, inoffensive experience. I wasn't blown away and I wasn't impressed the same way I was with Woolly World.

The two player seems less invasive than in Woolly World, though, even if it's too easy to jump on the other person's back or block their egg throws. I wish they'd focused more on that aspect as it still feels like playing through the game while making sure you don't get in each other's way instead of playing through together.

Jun 23, 2018
Canada
I don't think Yoshi games are "for kids" any more than Mario games, especially the more modern entries. They all have the common design trait of being fairly easy to finish but the challenge comes from trying to 100% everything and do all the optional content. Even in terms of pure platforming challenge, some of the late optional stuff in Wooly World was no joke, same as Yoshi's Island.

You're trying to make the argument that Yoshi games are Little Tikes toys, I'd say they're more like Legos.

Yes... Lego is fun for everyone, but it's specifically created for kids, it's a toy. It's for ages 3 and up. People just continue to like it as they grow older.... which is why Lego has more complicated sets specifically for older people now, just like Yoshi has the Island games. Doesn't erase what the target market is, if they wanted more adults to be playing this they should have released a later level in the demo like Kirby tried to (although Kirby's second demo level was pretty simplistic anyway). It's not only the difficulty but the overall presentation and it's FINE for it to be aimed at youngsters and there's nothing wrong with being drawn to it as an adult, I wanted the game day one before I actually tried it and will be picking it up used in the future regardless

Shawndroid

May 24, 2018
Canada
I have a K. Rool avatar. Clearly I'm a Nintendo fan and obviously I know this - I shouldn't need to over explain myself on the topic of games for kids.

Then maybe you should not choose the same words in the same order as people who do mean it as an insult. It might help you avoid all this over explaining.

I feel like people just choose to take "for kids" as an insult because they think it means the person is calling them childish for liking it. All I'm clearly saying is the game isn't designed for adults first and foremost, and the gameplay feels a bit weak because of that. "It's not for me because it's clearly aimed at younguns" is not the same as "this game is shit because it's childish". The only actual critiques that are deserved are the music and controls.

1. The Music? We have barely heard any tracks from it. Even well liked Yoshi games had tracks that people didn't like. Often those tracks were used in promotional material for Wooly World, but don't reflect the game. We can hope.

2. Just change the control settings. The options are in your control.

3. "All I'm clearly saying is the game isn't designed for adults first and foremost" and "it's clearly aimed at younguns" are not the only two options. Some of us are saying it's aimed neither at adults or very small children. But instead, both. Like some movies are aimed at men, some movies aimed at women, and some movies aimed at both. But just because it's not aimed at men does not mean it is aimed at women.

The reason early Pixar films are so beloved is that they were aimed at general audiences, but also were very appropriate for kids. The reason some Pixar movies have been seen as less good is that too many of them were in fact aimed at kids.

All I'm clearly saying is the game isn't designed for adults first and foremostCall of Duty and GTA and Fortnite are played by kids. They're not for kids - look at their ratings and content. Yoshi is for kids just like Kirby is for kids

Ironically, I find those games (and many movies an TV showed rated for a mature audience) to literally be childish. To be aimed at childish impulses and gratification, which is precise why children should not play them. So here we have games aimed at 'mature audiences' that appeal to kids. Meanwhile, many games that people see as aimed as kids are not actually enjoyed by kids. It's fun!

You keep saying it's aimed at kids. The ultimate problem here is you are taking the final effect, and assuming it was both intentional and the correct interpretation of it. Maybe it wasn't aimed at kids, and they simply failed to make a good general audiences game like Mario Bros.

Jun 23, 2018
Canada
Then maybe you should not choose the same words in the same order as people who do mean it as an insult. It might help you avoid all this over explaining.

1. The Music? We have barely heard any tracks from it. Even well liked Yoshi games had tracks that people didn't like. Often those tracks were used in promotional material for Wooly World, but don't reflect the game. We can hope.

2. Just change the control settings. The options are in your control.

3. "All I'm clearly saying is the game isn't designed for adults first and foremost" and "it's clearly aimed at younguns" are not the only two options. Some of us are saying it's aimed neither at adults or very small children. But instead, both. Like some movies are aimed at men, some movies aimed at women, and some movies aimed at both. But just because it's not aimed at men does not mean it is aimed at women.

The reason early Pixar films are so beloved is that they were aimed at general audiences, but also were very appropriate for kids. The reason some Pixar movies have been seen as less good is that too many of them were in fact aimed at kids.

Ironically, I find those games (and many movies an TV showed rated for a mature audience) to literally be childish. To be aimed at childish impulses and gratification, which is precise why children should not play them. So here we have games aimed at 'mature audiences' that appeal to kids. Meanwhile, many games that people see as aimed as kids are not actually enjoyed by kids. It's fun!

You keep saying it's aimed at kids. The ultimate problem here is you are taking the final effect, and assuming it was both intentional and the correct interpretation of it. Maybe it wasn't aimed at kids, and they simply failed to make a good general audiences game like Mario Bros.

The title theme is painful and the simplistic main theme is getting used a lot going by other level footage. Especially the title theme, which is the first song you're supposed to hear, being like that doesn't fill me with optimism, even if I'm sure there will still be good tracks. You also can't change the controls beyond button mapping. You still can't aim and move at the same time, flutter jump is still infinite in normal mode, still can't spit out enemies, everything you can egg is highlighted removing any element of experimentation, there is no apparent flutter boost from jumping on enemies to heighten the skill ceiling. Yoshi still moves stiffly and the overall character control is still drastically reduced in complexity, which by itself both courts players who aren't as skilled, and limits any of the gameplay from being able to be designed to accomodate or even require thoughtful movement. It's Yoshi gameplay streamlined and simplified. It's not about jumping with the A button. These controls can't allow very complex platforming/enemy challenges, and the highlighting of everything you can hit with an egg means you can sweep the screen at any moment to see what you need to hit instead of figuring things out using logic.

I get what you're saying that just because it's not aimed at a hardcore market does not automatically make it aimed at kids. But from my impression of the game's overall elements, I have the perception that it is indeed for kids.

This feels like splitting hairs at this point. The game is obviously designed to be appealing looking and easy to pick up for kids, that doesn't prevent or exclude older players from the equation. Making a game for kids isn't the same as making a game that's anti-adults. People will play any game at any age and Nintendo is aware of this. It's also true that a lot of older kids hate cute aesthetics such as Yoshi's, but the younger ones will dig it. I agree that those other games are childish in nature, but that doesn't mean they're aimed at children, especially GTA. They're enjoyed by kids but not for kids. I don't think it's a false statement to call a Yoshi game like this for kids even if it can and will be enjoyed by adults. The actual aesthetic and callbacks to Yoshi's Story are clearly meant to appeal to adults who played Story when they were young, inviting them to relive an experience that was aimed at a younger audience than Yoshi's Island was. Personally, I think Yoshi's Story was more engaging in its first level and in its overall gameplay loop, but I'll remain hoping to be surprised by later levels.

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dont think the game is aimed for kids its just the design and style philosophy for yoshi games. If Yoshi Story came out today same thing might be said.

People think Link's Awakening is aimed at kids because of the artstyle. Well guess what its still LA.

Discokuningas

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
I don't really get how this is supposed to be more aimed at kids than Mario or any other Nintendos kids friendly game. If it is difficulty then Woolly World surely wasn't aimed only for kids. But here you are shooting cows in the backround at the first level. Surely this must be a kids game and nothing more.

And speaking of aiming. Yes you can't move while aiming. But this is now a very different type of aiming. You can now aim at anything on the screen. Even on the backround or foreground. Not saying that the moving and aiming can't be achieved at least with gyro but this doesn't make it a simplified kids game. This kind of a aiming is actually more complex and more hardcore than simple aiming before.

Dynamite Cop

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
I don't really get how this is supposed to be more aimed at kids than Mario or any other Nintendos kids friendly game. If it is difficulty then Woolly World surely wasn't aimed only for kids. But here you are shooting cows in the backround at the first level. Surely this must be a kids game and nothing more.

And speaking of aiming. Yes you can't move while aiming. But this is now a very different type of aiming. You can now aim at anything on the screen. Even on the backround or foreground. Not saying that the moving and aiming can't be achieved at least with gyro but this doesn't make it a simplified kids game. This kind of a aiming is actually more complex and more hardcore than simple aiming before.
I really like the new aiming system. Especially the ability to juggle objects with consecutive egg throws.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I dont think the game is aimed for kids its just the design and style philosophy for yoshi games. If Yoshi Story came out today same thing might be said.

People think Link's Awakening is aimed at kids because of the artstyle. Well guess what its still LA.
Didn't a lot of people say it even back when yoshi's story came out? People also said it for wooly world, but that game turned out good. Really good.

Shawndroid

May 24, 2018
Canada
flutter jump is still infinite in normal mode

I recall several times when I was trying to flutter jump and I eventually fell to the ground. How do you defy gravity indefinitely? Not holding the button down. But I also feel like I tried to jump while falling sometimes and I didn't rebound of air, either.

It's not about jumping with the A button. These controls can't allow very complex platforming/enemy challenges, and the highlighting of everything you can hit with an egg means you can sweep the screen at any moment to see what you need to hit instead of figuring things out using logic.

Ahh, I see what you mean. In this case you mean 'game mechanics.' You disagree with the mechanics. Games are often simplified and it's those games that are often the best received. In fact, you can say that the success of Nintendo and Blizzard are how they simplify and distill a game to it's most basic component and build on that. That's what made all their early games so popular.

Scanning the screen seems like a boring way to play the game. But you can if you want. It's nice to know if you have aimed something right before you launch so you can tell if can move on or need to aim a little better. But yes, this can be exploited.

Nov 21, 2017
I recall several times when I was trying to flutter jump and I eventually fell to the ground. How do you defy gravity indefinitely? Not holding the button down. But I also feel like I tried to jump while falling sometimes and I didn't rebound of air, either.

I don't think you can deft gravity forever. If I remember right from previous Yoshi games, you can continuously flutter jump, one after the other, just by hitting and holding the jump button again after your previous flutter ends.

However, after each flutter you lose a bit of height. So eventually you do come down. I'm not positive about all this though.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
I'm glad that I tried this demo. I like Crafted World's visual aesthetic, gameplay mechanics and sound design - I think it's safe to say that I'm onboard now.

Did anyone else feel relaxed playing this game?

m.i.s.

Oct 30, 2017
England, UK
It's really difficult to get a handle on these types of "games".

Eg, I tried the Y Wooly World demo on 3DS and really enjoyed it. There's two levels that just zip along nicely. When I tried the full game, I hated it. The game is a collect-a-thon bore-fest imo. And the front end on the 3DS is just ugh. Pointless walking around a central hub area, amiibo fluff and annoying confirmation screens that just bog down the pace of the game. Compared to the demo version, where one selection and button press takes you straight to the action.

I say games in quotes because -- like Mario Kart after the first one -- they've become more like experiences. In this particular case there's all manner of pointless activity and collectibles to pad out what looks to be a fairly average or below average game. And there's no shortage of platformers on N platforms either.

Last edited:

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Finally played it !

I looks super rought, it lacks the classic nintendo polish...but i quite liked the general ideia of the game. I think i will buy it!

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, why is it controversial to say the game where you find 5 cows in the background is clearly aimed at kids?

SMW2: Yoshi's Island had a little kid crayon scribble visual style and yet was fun for the whole family so I don't see why this game won't be the same. There's the easy mode where you can fly for little kids. There's regular mode for people who don't want to breeze through things. And chances are there are going to be some unlockable expert courses for the people who want a challenge.

A demo is rarely a good indicator of game difficulty since they usually cover the beginning of the game. In fact, it's not unusual for a demo to have a lower difficulty than the same area in the actual game.

Shawndroid

May 24, 2018
Canada
There's the easy mode where you can fly for little kids. There's regular mode for people who don't want to breeze through things. And chances are there are going to be some unlockable expert courses for the people who want a challenge.

Wait wait. You mean when Scrambled Brambles was complaining about how easy the game was... he was complaining about easy mode?

That also explains why I was never able to fly infinitely.

Jun 23, 2018
Canada
Getting a little tired of people @ing me for saying the game looks designed for kids, lol........ it's not an uncommon sentiment in the thread. And this is all based on the simplified overall gameplay style in regular mode, not Mellow Mode, which, if Mellow Mode is there it's not outlandish to expect a little more oomph to the gameplay of the normal mode even in level 1.

It's not an insult or something I'm interested in debating it's just literally what the game looks like to me and I've been a Yoshi fan since SNES. Will still pick up used eventually, but it made me disinterested in a day 1 purchase

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
I must admit when I was shooting cows I did feel like I was doing an interactive childrens activity book. It not the art style alone, gameplay seems simplistic and I cant yet see where the depth could come from

Will reserve judgement tho - some bits from the trailer (the level where your being chased by what looked like a dinosaur skeleton for example) look like they could be much more challenging

Discokuningas

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Getting a little tired of people @ing me for saying the game looks designed for kids, lol........ it's not an uncommon sentiment in the thread. And this is all based on the simplified overall gameplay style in regular mode, not Mellow Mode, which, if Mellow Mode is there it's not outlandish to expect a little more oomph to the gameplay of the normal mode even in level 1.

It's not an insult or something I'm interested in debating it's just literally what the game looks like to me and I've been a Yoshi fan since SNES. Will still pick up used eventually, but it made me disinterested in a day 1 purchase

That flutter is the same in Woolly World. Doesn't make that an easy game. And it doesn't usually help because you can't get upward with it at all. Believe me I have tried that several times in Woolly World when I have been fluttering just under the edge of the cliff.

Jan 10, 2018
Never played a Yoshi game before and never heard of this one until I downloaded the demo. It was rather charming but overall I didn't feel like I was the target audience. It felt like it catered to a much younger audience in the way it was presented and how easy it was. It reminded me a lot of the kids shows my nephew watches where there's lots of colors, cute trains, some fram animals and music that in the long run will drive you slightly insane.

Not a bad thing at all though. Kudos to everyone who's digging it, kid or not.

Soran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The resolution was painful to my eyes when undocked
Also, it just me or the demo was too easy? The puppies and train pieces give you infinite tossings so even the egg management element is gone from the original Yoshi Island.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Really excited for this game. I feel like it is more about the exploring than platforming and since the world is well crafted ...

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You know you can flutter forever in yoshi snes?

Shawndroid

May 24, 2018
Canada
Game Explain is deep in the game and gives their thoughts.

Some takeaway:

• First world is uninspired, but challenge and creativity increases as you play.
  • More challenge and novelty compared to WW.
  • Lots of levels, world opens up, feels organic and big, not linear, with many paths.
  • Music gets only slightly better, with little variety, and not as good as WW.
  • Recommend that you not use protective costumes in single player to keep challenge.

tonyh24613

Oct 25, 2017
After trying the demo, I really don't consider CW as a sequel or a spiritual successor of original Yoshi's Island. I mean, I wish Nintendo can make a Yoshi game surpassing YI some day, WW feels like maybe they're on the right path. Then suddenly they turn 180 degree and make CW. The new egg throwing mechanic is terrible, interacting with the background layers dragged the pace too much. All those preview videos don't look too promising to me. Poochy is still cute, though.