• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
Yoshi games really shine when you hunt for collectibles. I'm hoping you unlock skins for Yoshi as you progress. Unlocking new color combinations (not to mention the Amiibo ones!) were a big part of what kept me coming back to Wooly World. Making it to the end of the level is easy, finding all the collectibles takes a lot more time and is a lot more rewarding.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought this was really great! Great concept that looks, plays, and sounds delightful. Really looking forward to the full game!

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Yoshi games really shine when you hunt for collectibles. I'm hoping you unlock skins for Yoshi as you progress. Unlocking new color combinations (not to mention the Amiibo ones!) were a big part of what kept me coming back to Wooly World. Making it to the end of the level is easy, finding all the collectibles takes a lot more time and is a lot more rewarding.
There are costumes like a juice brick or an empty yogurt.

They are cute.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
The art style is superb, but please remove/fix the low quality DOF effect. It makes the backgrounds look aliased and ugly.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Agreed. Woolly World really shined when you understood how the developers were hiding things and you started spotting areas where collectables would be concealed. I really want to read a review of Crafted World from someone who appreciated the same things from Woolly World to see if this matches up.

movieclub

Jan 3, 2019
Looks horrible on handheld!

This is coming off of NSMBUD and Donkey Kong TF as well as BOTW on handheld -- all gorgeous
---

Game was fun and cute, despite the blurry look. Hard to tell off of that one level though if it is a buy, will wait for reviews.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2018
It was really fun to complete the level in the demo to 100%, which is certainly the best way to play a Kirby or Yoshi game as they are on the easier side of platformers. I think I'll buy this game, the art-style is incredible.

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks horrible on handheld!

This is coming off of NSMBUD and Donkey Kong TF as well as BOTW on handheld -- all gorgeous
---

Game was fun and cute, despite the blurry look. Hard to tell off of that one level though if it is a buy, will wait for reviews.

I had no problem playing it and i'm pretty sensitive in this regard, finding Mario Odyssey "ugly"/blurry in handheldmode and also Zelda in some areas (a specific town) and i notice the smaller resolution in Octopath. Yoshi has a blurr-filter for the background and no antialiasing, but the foreground looked pretty sharp and ok in handheldmode so i thought it was more of a depht of field choice to be honest.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo forcing fixed control setups with no manual remap in many of their games is incredibly frustrating. There's no reason a modern game should do that when the default controllers have plenty of buttons to spare. It's both a comfort and accessibility option that Nintendo should know better than to omit.

Not just modern games, it's also really annoying how you can't remap buttons on NES games on OG Wii and 3DS Virtual Console and Switch NES. You can remap buttons on NES VC on Wii U though so there's no excuse (probably because M2 handled a lot of titles on Wii U VC).

Last edited:

Byakura

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I wasn't too interested in the game but I thought I'd give the demo a try, and I liked quite a bit actually. Love how it looks, and just strolling through the levels was enjoyable. Should be a fun game to 100%, as are most of the Yoshi games I guess.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does this game eat battery life or something? My Switch was 100% charged and is now at 80%. I only played like not even 30 mins

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Got it maybe a month or two before SMO released. Today is the first time I've played it in weeks. Does leaving it in dock kill the battery life?

Perhaps the battery life indicator was wrong. As in all devices with battery, the life can only be estimated, and if you seldom use your Switch this was wrong. Try it again after loading battery.

Jan 11, 2018
Is this by Good Feel? I was planning to skip the demo and buy the game based on how amazing Woolly World was. My GF and I intend to co-op this one too.

Woolly World is one of my favourite games, and easily my favourite Yoshi game.
Good Feel was originally listed as a developer when the game was first announced, but they're conspicuously missing from the title screen on the demo now.

They are listed as the developer on Nintendo.com.

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/yoshis-crafted-world-switch

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I....actually kind of loved this...??

I thought Woolly World was quite good, but I honestly thought I was done with Yoshi games after I finished it. The first time Crafted World looked remotely interesting to me was during the Direct this week. So I downloaded the demo and was almost instantly impressed. This is likely a purchase now.

Technika

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2018
I've only played through the first level, but the movement feels a bit slow compared to my memories of YI on the SNES.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
Hmm as far as a collectible hunter kind of game, seems like it'll be potentially interesting and challenging, but I think I'm turned off by the cutesyness and the music. It evoked feelings of nostalgia for the original Yoshi's Island and sympathy for Kirby Star Allies - which has no challenge but has a fairly nice look and soundtrack (and some worthwhile DLC).

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I've been stoked for this ever since it was announced and if the demo is anything to go by, it won't disappoint. I'm a little concerned about there being fewer worlds but I was surprised by the extra mission given after completing the level. For me one of the best parts of these games is finding all the stuff to 100% a level so I hope there are a lot of them.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
I thought it was... OK. The only Yoshi game I'm really familiar with is Story, so it felt like a nice throwback to that. It's VERY pretty, I like that it plays around with the 3D space despite being a 2D platformer, and the flipping mechanic is definitely cool (I loved seeing how the level looks while going backwards). I just feel like I'd need to play another level to sell me on it. It feels like my run through the level just sort of happened, and I managed to find the three pups and reach the end in the time limit on my first try. I thought they might put another level like the Kirby demo had (granted I didn't like Kirby either but at least it let me try a LITTLE more of the game before I made that decision). It has potential, but I don't know if I really had "fun" with the demo, so I'll be waiting on reviews for this one (although I just might not be the game's target audience).

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo
I found the game pretty good! A little tweak on the controls makenis MUCH better. (Hasty egg throw + B Type scheme).
It may achieve DK levels of creativity, ingenuity and coherence.
Looking forward to the full game!

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed this. My three-year-old loved helping me by pointing out the cows. It was a cute, relaxing time gaming.

Discokuningas

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
This seems good. Of cource the level was easy and even little boring but after Woolly World I trust that we get much more varied and challenging levels. I don't get the hate the game gets and the hate Woolly World gets. Yes they are slower and more like collectathons but why those has to be bad things? Yoshi is a different take of a platforming genre than Mario and Donkey Kong and that is a good thing. More variety to Nintendo catalog.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
My 3 year old seems to love it. So there's that. Lol.
That seems like the target demographic.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills, I played the demo. This isn't even a kids game it's a toddlers first training game.

How and why are people here stating things like, "This game feels great and I can't wait to purchase". I'm so confused.

There is a mission to throw 5 eggs at paper cows you find around the felt world. What is going on.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
I liked the demo, controls felt snappy once you change the settings to hold and release to throw the eggs, but they should've put, as they often do, another level more advanced in the demo. It's cute and charming, graphics were okay (played docked), but when you're on the train it got quite blurry. Will have to wait for reviews, but I will most likely buy it, since there seems to be nothing more until summer.

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills, I played the demo. This isn't even a kids game it's a toddlers first training game.

How and why are people here stating things like, "This game feels great and I can't wait to purchase". I'm so confused.

There is a mission to throw 5 eggs at paper cows you find around the felt world. What is going on.
I mean, it's also level 1-1.

Would probably have been better to showcase a later level but just because the very first level is simple doesn't necessarily mean the rest of the game will be toddler level.

I think a lot of people (including me) love the aesthetic and think there is potential for some interesting things to be done with that style in the level design. Others may not which is fine, but it's not exactly an out-there viewpoint.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017

We're coming from Kirby Star Allies, a game which literally played itself. Beggars can't be choosers I guess.

Oct 31, 2017
I....actually kind of loved this...??

I thought Woolly World was quite good, but I honestly thought I was done with Yoshi games after I finished it. The first time Crafted World looked remotely interesting to me was during the Direct this week. So I downloaded the demo and was almost instantly impressed. This is likely a purchase now.
Same. I was on the fence but after the demo I'm certain to buy. I just liked what they were selling. Loved the aesthetic and even as an adult it's sometimes fun to watch something charming, cute, and relaxing play out in the screen in bright colors. I really felt like I was exploring a world of classroom crafts.

ItsOKAY

Jan 26, 2018
Frankfurt, Germany

So, because it's a game, which is orientated towards a younger audience, me, as an adult, cannot enjoy the game, or say, that it feels great!??

bxsonic

Oct 30, 2017

I agree. Feels like this is targeting very very young gamers. Lol.

I definitely wouldn't buy this for myself just going by the demo. But seems like something I can play together with my kid.

TanookiTom

Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
I really want to love Yoshi (and Kirby) games, but I found this demo to be a bit disappointing actually.

The graphics for starters did not look as good as I had expected from some of the earlier videos. I am not liking the intentional blur effect that was implemented for the backgrounds, or rather, how it was implemented.

And as others have mentioned before, something seems a bit off regarding the animations.

Gameplay-wise there seems to be nothing new really. But after Kirby's Epic Yarn and Yoshi's Wooly World I am starting to get a bit tired of essentially the same mechanics + the easy difficulty (are there actually any penalties for dying this time...?).

Anyways will wait for reviews but I guess this is really rather targeted at a much younger audience.

Discokuningas

Banned
Jan 18, 2018

Because Woolly World was like this in its first levels. And later ones really weren't for toddlers.

KamiCrit

Oct 27, 2017
Western Canada
Demo available right after the Direct, I really liked that. Would like to see more of that in the future with headliners even if it means pushing a direct back.

Game itself is fun, I played the first level multiple times just for the sake of playing. Hasty controls are better but they gotta incorporate gun n run. Other than that it feels pretty tight. I still haven't beaten Woolly so I feel like I should play and beat that first before pulling the trigger on Crafted.

With the crafted theme I kinda feel they're intruding on Paper Mario's space. Don't know if I like that. Paper Mario gonna have to fight back soon, stand their ground!

Edit: Would be great if the time from the poochy pups task is recorded. Bring on the leaderboards.

Still reeling from the let down of Yoshi Touch n Go.

Last edited:

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Because Woolly World was like this in its first levels. And later ones really weren't for toddlers.
Ok, I'll take all your words for it. But like there are tons of games even Nintendo games where the first 1-1 is very simplistic but you can see the potential of depth in its content. But this paints a real clear picture that it is for kids... nothing wrong with an adult playing that. Just was surprising to me after I heard so many positives.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Tried it and I thought it was ok. Ill probably buy it in a few years when my daugther is old enough to play it and we'll go at it together. I thought the challenge level was low and the style of the game more to be geared towards kids so a no buy right now for me.

Discokuningas

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Ok, I'll take all your words for it. But like there are tons of games even Nintendo games where the first 1-1 is very simplistic but you can see the potential of depth in its content. But this paints a real clear picture that it is for kids... nothing wrong with an adult playing that. Just was surprising to me after I heard so many positives.

Well it is same for Woolly World and it has still very much variety and challenge. Challenge mostly comes from collecting and finding things. So there is that collectathon aspect that everyone doesn't like. But there was also great rewards for this. New levels. I mean look at the trailer. It shows some of the variety even there. This really seems to be like Woolly World. Very clever levels with unique gimmicks. It was a game that was divisive for some reason. Like this seems to be even with it's demo already. So maybe these games are not for everyone. But they certainly are not games for toddlers. I think Woolly World is up there with original Yoshi's Island.

Deleted member 24540

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The game is ok, but there are a few issues relating to gameplay depth:

1) You can spam flutter jump over and over without descending and it's very easy to time correctly -> potential to cheese platforming sections.
2) The only objects in the fore/back-ground that you can interact with are highlighted if you move the cursor over to them -> it takes no skill to uncover secrets as all you have to do is to systematically sweep over the screen until the game indicates that you can shoot an egg to win.

The game was promising at first, with Yoshi controlling tightly and all the creative ideas on display, but these problems simplify the experience too much for my liking.