• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

which one will sell more?

• Yoshi's Crafted World

Votes: 419 27.8%
  • Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Votes: 950 63.0%
  • Both

Votes: 140 9.3%

• Total voters

KcebAnier

Oct 29, 2017
The embargo lifts one day before the launch lol

Ah, my apologies for not seeing the updated announcement from.. yesterday..

That said, I wasn't saying the game was definitely going to bomb, only that holding reviews until launch doesn't usually result in a positive outcome. An 18 hour review window is not significantly better.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hard to say. Yoshi has a potential of ca. 3-4 million. Sekiro could do DS numbers but I wouldnt call it a given.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I thought this was a joke thread until I saw the poll results and all the responses.

Yoshi, obviously.
/s

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Of course, Review Embargoing a game until after it launches is not exactly a good sign, so Sekiro could just bomb hard.
The embargo lifts one day before the launch lol

From gamecentral yesterday:

We checked with Activision today and they repeated that they're not sending out review copies until Friday. Whether others are getting theirs earlier than that we don't know.

Maybe it's a UK thing or they just hate Gamecentral lol, they do tend to be one of the tougher reviewers. GC themselves don't think it's quality related though. Excerpt of their preview a few weeks ago:

So if there are no reviews before launch don't take that as a bad omen, because this is looking like being another FromSoftware classic and one that's uniquely different from the ones that have come before.

Asuka3+1

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 6, 2019
to anyone downplaying yoshi over Sekiro.
1) almost (if not every single) game on switch have sold over expectation and way pass over their WiiU counterparts.
2) Sekiro of course will sell more cause 3 different consoles. BUT on individual basis, its up in the air, example: Bloodborne on PS4 is a critical praised game yet sales are what? 2-3M "only" ???
3) Yoshi has this

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
I'm going with Yoshi. The more I see of Sekiro the less interested I am.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Yoshi is more mainstream, it's but a smaller release, exclusive to one platform, and I expect it to "come and go" in a way I don't think Sekiro will.

I think Sekiro takes it.

ThingsRscary

Banned
Mar 10, 2019
tumblr_pa4k6aAP0t1w7r034o2_r1_500.gif

what is Yoshi's Crafted World?

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
So this is a weird question.

I think Sekiro will do well initially and beat out Yoshi in any NPD's (it has more days on the market for March too). Then it will get discounted at some point on and sell very well at a budget price, especially if it is a critical hit. I think that puts it out of reach for even a good Yoshi game on a popular system like the Switch.

That said, Yoshi will definitely retain that full price tag for much, much longer and still sell well at that level. It is in the Nintendo tradition.

OP
OP
krg

krg

Oct 27, 2017
Some dudes who already own the game say that Sekiro is harder that Dark Souls, Bloodborne and Demon Souls... I think that might keep away a lot of folks, hence Yoshi will sell more, fact.

Last edited:

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
1) almost (if not every single) game on switch have sold over expectation and way pass over their WiiU counterparts.
2) Sekiro of course will sell more cause 3 different consoles. BUT on individual basis, its up in the air, example: Bloodborne on PS4 is a critical praised game yet sales are what? 2-3M "only" ???
3) Yoshi has this

What is this sorcery
Is that included with the game or something?

Avada Kedavra

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
First data we have so far are first week retail sales from the UK:

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - 30k (24k for PS4, 6k for XBO)
Yoshi's Crafted World - 15k

qrac

Nov 13, 2017
3) Yoshi has this

Hey that's really cool! :D

Online sale numbers, are they counted on the PS4?

#TeamJoshi

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Remember when Nintendo fans said Labo would outsell PCVR kits?
Did it?

I have no idea about Labo sales other than people here seemed to be excited about it. I thought it looked like nonsense.

Sekiro had 125,000 players online at the one time on PC alone a day after launch.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL

Deleted member 26156

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yoshi has sold less than 2.75mil, but otherwise we don't know how much it really sold. Probably between 2mil and 2.5mil.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
1.1m was the initial shipment. I wouldn't expect it to have sold too much more than that at this point, particularly given that Nintendo has not provided an update on it's sales.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Why there was even a survey between an exclusive Switch game and a multiplatform on PS4 / One / PC.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Why there was even a survey between an exclusive Switch game and a multiplatform on PS4 / One / PC.
That's not the question you should ask, since there have been exclusive Switch games that have outperformed multiplats on the other three platforms combined.

The question should be.........….why Yoshi.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
That's not the question you should ask, since there have been exclusive Switch games that have outperformed multiplats on the other three platforms combined.

Exactly, the most Yoshi sells is 2 million, it's like Metroid. Sekiro was obviously going to sell more.

ArmadilloGame

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017

It was because Sekiro was the intentionally hard game with no easy mode while Yoshi was the intentionally easy game with built in difficulty adjustments to make it even easier. And they came out around the same time. They were opposite ends of the spectrum, so "worthy of comparison" in resetera logic despite all the other factors tilting the scales.