• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
I get the feeling that Nintendo's development and production schedule and operations have changed somehow. Nothing else explains this.

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
What else would I care about?
The games he likes probably lol
The aggressiveness of some users seemingly knows no bounds when it comes to Nintendo. If I feel the offering is pretty bad for H1 of 2019 than I feel that way. When multiple other people feel the same way there's some truth to it.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The ERA bubble is strong in this thread.
It's only a drought if it's not Nintendo first party software and it's also a game I don't like
Seriously, this thread is so weird
I wanted to ask "so what?" but that would look like a drive-by post so I wrote this preface in order to ask: so what?
I have to repeat this, like who is actually giving a shit? I feel like this thread is concern trolling and I dont usually throw out that word

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
If we've got 1, 5, 10, or 20 people at ERA that are feeling the burn, you think it stops there? ERA has its own bubble, but pretending like it's self contained and others outside of ERA couldn't share the sentiment seems silly. Nintendo remains unconcerned and it's working for them anyway. Which is why I suggested this group get another platform to game on until there's something on the Switch that they wanna play.
Sure, but we know there are metrics of Switch owners already owning multiple systems so a large majority of Switch owners already have another/several other gaming avenues. People may take a few months away from their switch to try something on PS4/XB1/PC, I really don't think it's that big of a deal.

Oct 25, 2017
I get the feeling that Nintendo's development and production schedule and operations have changed somehow. Nothing else explains this.

My only guess and justification is that latter half of 2019 gotta be stacked.
Maybe it'll be an onslaught of releases, just in time for the release of the rumored, new revision/iteration of Switch

Nobody does polish and refinement in game like Nintendo, so I don't mind lull periods, but a whole year after an already somewhat slow 2018 would be odd.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is my thought exactly. And while third parties can certainly carry the load for Sony, Nintendo isn't so lucky. That said, there are some pretty major third party releases upcoming for Switch between March and June - DQB2, MK11, AC3, Team Sonic Racing, Crash Team Racing, many of which should do well on Switch due to the handheld benefit with a lot of people double dipping.

Admittedly it's not much, but I think that fans are comparing this to the Wii U when Nintendo was the only company making any games for the thing.

DQB2 is July, between Mario Maker and Fire Emblem.

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The games he likes probably lol
The aggressiveness of some users seemingly knows no bounds when it comes to Nintendo. If I feel the offering is pretty bad for H1 of 2019 than I feel that way. When multiple other people feel the same way there's some truth to it.

Hell, they adjusted the Fiscal Year target and one of the things they said was

"[Additionally], while we expected that releasing titles during the holiday season would help to increase sales, the year-on-year sales increase during the first half of the fiscal year (April to September) turned out not big enough, which also affected the revision of the unit forecast as we looked back now."

No shit when it was barren, and people said the exact same goddamn thing they are saying now, last year. It is like looking into a time machine from 2018.

"This H1 feels weak"

"No it doesn't! Stop complaining"

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo's barren H1 is obviously a result of various games getting delayed. The Fire Emblem delay and the situation with Prime 4 threw a wrench on their plans I reckon.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

"[Additionally], while we expected that releasing titles during the holiday season would help to increase sales, the year-on-year sales increase during the first half of the fiscal year (April to September) turned out not big enough, which also affected the revision of the unit forecast as we looked back now."

No shit when it was barren, and people said the exact same goddamn thing they are saying now, last year. It is like looking into a time machine from 2018.

"This H1 feels weak"

Thry also are gonna sell past their revision anyways, because software is selling immensely on switch and its probably gonna sell like 18-19 million instead of 20 million, they must be really suffering lol,

Oct 26, 2017
It is absolutely bizarre that Nintendo allowed this to happen. I would've thought at the bare minimum they would've had a line of ports up and ready to fill things out for the first half. No reason ports of Pikmin 3, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, and maybe Xenoblade Chronicles X wouldn't have done well in these months right? Perhaps ports of Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD could've been thrown in here as well.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The Switch has great 3rd party support and a ton of great games so this isnt an issue.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is not really about our personal taste. In that case each console would have a drought all the time, because it rarely happens that every month a company is releasing games for my specific taste.
If I had super specific tastes that would be fine and I would be understanding, but I don't really - I like a fairly broad range of games. I find that I'm flooded in PS4 games beyond any hope of playing them all.

I think this thread by necessity has to be about personal taste. There are tons of weird little games coming out every day on every platform after all, so technically every platform has a ton of games. But most of those don't really matter to many of us.

I don't need to have a new game on Switch every month by any means, but having a reason to play it every two months or so sure would be nice. Feels bad when it goes several months in a row without being touched.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
It is pretty bad and sparse, but I'd much rather they nail the games down than rush them out the gate. Thankfully, they have SOME third party support to hold up the release schedule.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Do you really want to go down the rabbit-hole of who owns the Pokemon franchise?

Nintendo owns pretty much everything that makes Pokemon, Pokemon. They own the names, likenesses, monsters and all of the characters. It's a complex arrangement, but don't get it twisted.

But we're not talking about who owns what IP. We're talking about what games Nintendo develops. They might own a 3rd of the Pokemon IP, but they don't develop it.
plenty of first party games aren't developed internally

Incorrect.

1st party: Develops the game and owns the IP.
2nd party: Doesn't develop the game, but owns the IP.
3rd party: Doesn't develop the game or own the IP.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
That should not be the proposition a platform holder offers. "If you think there aren't enough big titles on our console, just buy another one lol".
I travel a lot so the Switch naturally is the best console/platform suited for that, yet Nintendo is not helping their case considering this is not a new problem but has been plaguing their consoles for ages now. At the same time a lot of people are touting so many 3rd party games but I don't know of a single non-indie 3rd party title right now, so can someone help me out? I'm seriously curious.
Who cares what the platform holder position is? If you have multiple systems for playing games then who cares? It's not your problem to worry about a specific company's portfolio management. The only people who care solely about the first party offerings of platform holders are idiots and console warriors.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It is absolutely bizarre that Nintendo allowed this to happen. I would've thought at the bare minimum they would've had a line of ports up and ready to fill things out for the first half. No reason ports of Pikmin 3, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, and maybe Xenoblade Chronicles X wouldn't have done well in these months right? Perhaps ports of Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD could've been thrown in here as well.

TBF even if all of those games were ported over the thread title would still apply for the same arbitrary reasons and we'd just also have the 50th thread complaining about the number of Wii U ports lol.

I would love Xenoblade Chronicles X tho.

Kissenkopf

Nov 1, 2017
Mein Land!
No one cares besides ERA tbh.
Everybody else has enough to play but hey, I remember the times when everybody said same things about the PS4 and before that for the PS3. It doesnt matter how many games come out for a platform: some people will complain.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
While certain things at Nintendo have improved, I'm starting to feel like the oversight of developers is going south post-Iwata.

Retro basically having nothing to show for several years of work, Good Feel getting booted off Yoshi and the game arriving very late, Metroid Prime 4 flaming out with a new studio ... stuff like this didn't seem to happen as much in the past.

Good Feel's still listed as YCW's developer on Nintendo's site; there's nothing actually saying they got kicked off.

Aug 29, 2018
You arent crazy but Nintendo always gets a pass from their fans

Luckily I think most switch owners have to consoles, and overall gaming lineup is still great

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
Who cares what the platform holder position is? If you have multiple systems for playing games then who cares? It's not your problem to worry about a specific company's portfolio management. The only people who care solely about the first party offerings of platform holders are idiots and console warriors.
Or people who are limited to that one console most of the time? Stop it with this condescending bullshit.

jay

Oct 25, 2017
This thread led me to do a deep dive into what internal, sitting in an office labeled Nintendo, traditionally R&D/EAD team, developers have released over the years and it's surprisingly less than I thought.

Jan 2, 2018
If I had super specific tastes that would be fine and I would be understanding, but I don't really - I like a fairly broad range of games. I find that I'm flooded in PS4 games beyond any hope of playing them all.

I think this thread by necessity has to be about personal taste. There are tons of weird little games coming out every day on every platform after all, so technically every platform has a ton of games. But most of those don't really matter to many of us.

I don't need to have a new game on Switch every month by any means, but having a reason to play it every two months or so sure would be nice. Feels bad when it goes several months in a row without being touched.

That's totally fair, now that you explained your opinion! :)
In my case I would suffer "droughts" on the PS4, because most games there doesn't appeal to me (and I'm not saying that those are bad! not by any means, just not for me), at least in terms of the big releases. In terms of indie games I think both platforms are delivering for me.
On the Switch I have Smash Bros. and Wargroove at the moment, also Tetris 99 (which is suprisingly fun). I'm excited for Yoshi (and Sekiro on PC), and I'll probably dive into my backlog because April and May are looking admittedly a bit empty right now (perhaps we'll get a May release until then), but perhaps a great indie game will stand out for me.
It's not perfect, but for me it's okay right now, because I'm not playing every day or even every week sometimes, but I can understand if it feels like a "drought" for you.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Incorrect.

nah, there are many first party games that aren't internally developed. that is as correct a statement as correct statements get. smash, spider man, detroit, pokemon, kirby etc. etc. etc.

there's actually nothing to debate here because there is an actual definitive answer so hopefully that suffices

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017

"This H1 feels weak"

The H1 is not weak though, fiscal-year wise.

Mario Maker, Fire Emblem, Astral Chain, etc are all set to the H1 period mentioned there (April-September).

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
Or people who are limited to that one console most of the time? Stop it with this condescending bullshit.
Stop with your whiny bullshit. You only like playing Switch, okay, they are having a slow couple of months. Nothing is going to remedy that. They were supposed to have more but those got delayed. Quit complaining and wait for their very strong lineup later or play another system until that lineup comes.

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
The idea that there's droughts isn't new. But it's also enthusiast rhetoric that's been passed down through every console generation.

And in this particular instance, it was created by Era themselves by repeating the whole "unified development" thing like a mantra, without taking into account how game development works.

Perpetuated as well by the idea that Nintendo needed to have a game release per month; everyone making their yearly lists, again disregarding how game development works.

No normal person is going to play 12 games a year. In fact, the attach rate of the PS4 right now is around 9 games per console.

Nintendo cannot create 12 high-quality polished games every year. It's unrealistic.

Go play that one game you've been putting off, ya nerds!

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Stop with your whiny bullshit. You only like playing Switch, okay, they are having a slow couple of months. Nothing is going to remedy that. They were supposed to have more but those got delayed. Quit complaining and wait for their very strong lineup later or play another system until that lineup comes.

I often wonder if people have any other interest. Droughts suck but I have plenty of other things to do. I look forward to Yoshi in March and I need to catch up on some games still.

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
Can you please actually fucking read what I write? I have access to a PC or PS4 for about 2 hours per week. The only system I can legitimately play games without forgetting half of it is Switch.
But I guess you have to protect your friend Nintendo from all these whining children duh.

Kozy

Dec 4, 2017
But we're not talking about who owns what IP. We're talking about what games Nintendo develops. They might own a 3rd of the Pokemon IP, but they don't develop it.

Incorrect.

I think 2nd party just muddies the waters. To, if nintey publishes it it's first patty and if they don't it's third party. Simple

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think 2nd party just muddies the waters. To, if nintey publishes it it's first patty and if they don't it's third party. Simple

2nd party is actually a made up term (inb4 all terms are made up) to better differentiate between 1st party games. all 2nd party games are actually 1st party games.

beetlebum

Nov 24, 2017
Brazil
Still no big 1st person games from Nintendo till who knows when. I honestly don't know what Nintendo first party is doing.
Do you mean first person games or first party games?

If the former, this is just how things are. It's the same way Sony doesn't release a lot of sidescrollers, or Microsoft doesn't release a lot of bright, colorful titles. First person is just not Nintendo's thing.

If the latter, I suppose it's Mario Maker 2 in June, followed by Link's Awakening later this year..

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
I have purchased 2 Switch games in the last 1.5 years. The line up has been pretty bad. I'm bummed they're cramming everything into the 2nd half of this year too.