• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
I often wonder if people have any other interest. Droughts suck but I have plenty of other things to do. I look forward to Yoshi in March and I need to catch up on some games still.
I often wonder if people have any other interest. Droughts suck but I have plenty of other things to do. I look forward to Yoshi in March and I need to catch up on some games still.
I don't have anything of interest from Nintendo until Astral Chain, Daemon X Machina, and maybe Fire Emblem if they can show it better but it's not the end of the world.
Can you please actually fucking read what I write? I have access to a PC or PS4 for about 2 hours per week. The only system I can legitimately play games without forgetting half of it is Switch.
But I guess you have to protect your friend Nintendo from all these whining children duh.
lol my friend Nintendo. Dude I own 2 Switch games and traded in Mario Odyssey and Zelda after those games bored the hell out of me. I have 0 interest in protecting Nintendo from anyone. I only have an issue with babies who can't understand that sometimes games get delayed and schedules look less than favorable at times. You're talking 3 months without a premier Nintendo game between yoshi and Mario maker 2. You will not die because of this gap in their lineup. I promise you.

lemonhat

Dec 6, 2018
Fire Emblem delay seems to have had a big effect. Still rather surprising that with all Nintendo's teams focused on the Switch there can still be relatively large gaps between big releases. But you never know with Nintendo, they often announce things with very short gaps between release so there might be something else thrown into the April-May period (doubt it'll be anything especially big, mind. Another WiiU port or Detective Pikachu HD would do very nicely. Or Labo I guess).

Not really a problem for me though. Only got a Switch back in November and already have about a dozen games. Hardly any of which I've made much headway into because bloody Stardew Valley has completely consumed my life, lol. I might finally be free of its clutches by the time Animal Crossing comes out to devour my free time and stop me from playing all the other stuff I've bought. So I don't suppose the average consumer would be that bothered, but sucks for the hardcore of course. And the brisk sales and strong momentum probably mean Nintendo aren't as concerned as they otherwise would be.

cgatto

Feb 9, 2018
Canada
I'm very frustrated with Nintendo. Upper management seems to be disorganized and there isn't a clear focus from them. Year 2 was a dud from them and so far year 3 looks to be more of the same, if not worse.
Yeah, year 3 is REALLY gonna suck with only the dregs of, um, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion, Yoshi, Super Mario Maker 2, Fire Emblem, Zelda Links Awakening, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, and everything else they haven't announced yet. Real drought of a year.

Come on people.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo does more lifting than any other 1st party by far. And there's still current gen fare like MK11 and TSR Switch bound in the spring too, plus a lot of other non-AAA current gen stuff like Wasteland 2, Dragon Ball Heroes or LapisxLabyrinth. That's sort of the point, there *is* more than just remasters and indies. It might not be to everyone's taste but it still exists.
I'm blanking, what is TSR Switch?

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, year 3 is REALLY gonna suck with only the dregs of, um, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion, Yoshi, Super Mario Maker 2, Fire Emblem, Zelda Links Awakening, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, and everything else they haven't announced yet. Real drought of a year.

Come on people.

What are the release dates on Pokemon, AC, LM, Mario Maker and Link's Awakening?

Nah your take was just bad.

Profound. Thanks for the shitpost.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I get the feeling that Nintendo's development and production schedule and operations have changed somehow. Nothing else explains this.
Doing Switch's 1st party lineup by releases so far (Global or western prioritized). Bolded are internally developed/led.

• 03.03 The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (EPD)
  • 03.03 1-2 Switch (EPD)
  • 03.03 Snipperclips: Cut it Out, Together! (SFB Games)
  • 04.28 Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (EPD)
  • 06.16 Arms (EPD)
  • 07.06 Flip Wars (Over Fence) west only
  • 07.21 Splatoon 2 (EPD)
  • 09.22 Pokkén Tournament DX (Bandai Namco)
  • 10.20 Fire Emblem Warriors (Omega Force/Team Ninja) west only
  • 10.27 Super Mario Odyssey (EPD)
  • 12.01 Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Monolith)
  • 12.06 Karaoke Joysound for Nintendo Switch (Xing) Japan only
  • 01.18 Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle (Ubisoft Milan/Paris) Japan only
  • 02.09 Dragon Quest Builders (Square Enix) west only
  • 02.16 Bayonetta (Platinum)
  • 02.16 Bayonetta 2 (Platinum)
  • 03.16 Kirby: Star Alles (HAL)
  • 04.20 Nintendo Labo ToyCon 01: Variety Kit (EPD)
  • 04.20 Nintendo Labo ToyCon 02: Robot Kit (EPD)
  • 05.03 Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Retro)
  • 05.13 Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition (Omega Force/Team Ninja) west only
  • 05.29 Pokémon Quest (Game Freak)
  • 06.08 Sushi Striker: Way of the Sushido (indieszero)
  • 06.22 Mario Tennis Aces (Camelot)
  • 07.13 Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (EPD/NST)
  • 07.13 Octopath Traveler (Square Enix/Acquire) west only
  • 07.27 Go Vacation (Bandai Namco/Shade) west only
  • 09.14 Nintendo Labo ToyCon 03: Vehicle Kit (EPD)
  • 09.19 Nintendo Entertainment System: Nintendo Switch Online (likely NERD)
  • 09.21 Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna, the Golden Country (Monolith)
  • 10.05 Super Mario Party (NdCube)
  • 10.12 The World Ends with You: Final Remix (Square Enix/h.a.n.d.) west only
  • 11.16 Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! / Evee! (Game Freak)
  • 12.07 Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Sora/Bandai Namco)
  • 12.21 Fitness Boxing (Imagineer) west only
  • 01.11 New Super Mario Bros. U (EPD)
  • 02.13 Tetris 99 (Arika)
  • 03.29 Yoshi's Crafted World (Good-Feel)
  • 04.26 BoxBoy! + BoxGirl! (HAL)
  • 06.xx Super Mario Maker 2 (likely EPD)
  • 07.12 Dragon Quest Builders 2 (Square Enix/Omega Force) west only
  • 07.26 Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Intelligent Systems)
  • 08.30 Astral Chain (Platinum)
  • SUM Daemon X Machina (Marvelous First Studio) west only
  • SUM Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order (Team Ninja)
  • FALL Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age Definitive Edition (Square Enix/Orca) west only
  • TBA Animal Crossing (likely EPD)
  • TBA The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (likely EPD)
  • TBA Luigi's Mansion 2 (likely Next Level)
  • TBA Pokémon (Game Freak)
  • TBA Town (Game Freak)
TBA
  • Bayonetta 3 (Platinum)
  • Metroid Prime 3 (Retro)

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
I don't have anything of interest from Nintendo until Astral Chain, Daemon X Machina, and maybe Fire Emblem if they can show it better but it's not the end of the world.

lol my friend Nintendo. Dude I own 2 Switch games and traded in Mario Odyssey and Zelda after those games bored the hell out of me. I have 0 interest in protecting Nintendo from anyone. I only have an issue with babies who can't understand that sometimes games get delayed and schedules look less than favorable at times. You're talking 3 months without a premier Nintendo game between yoshi and Mario maker 2. You will not die because of this gap in their lineup. I promise you.
So you only come into a thread that by your self admission is hardly of interest to you to show it to those "babies" that complain about the lack of output by a video game company on a forum about video games, yet ignore all counter arguments to everything you say and instead fall back on ad hominem attacks.

You must be fun to be around.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stop projecting. You disagree, others don't. That's fine.

You're stating things as facts without any reason to back them up. Upper management is disorganized? Where are your sources? Delays are not reasons for your nonsense.

Year 2 may have been a dud to you, but that's a bad take. Sales and impressions say otherwise.

What are the release dates on Pokemon, AC, LM, Mario Maker and Link's Awakening?

So like your original post?

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018

Lmao do you even know what a shitpost is? But please, you have a list of the 2019 games and are saying 2019 maybe be worse than 2018. Maybe you think they will be delayed, but right now they ain't, so your take was just bad.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Doing Switch's 1st party lineup by releases so far (Global or western prioritized). Bolded are internally developed/led.

• 03.03 The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (EPD)
  • 03.03 1-2 Switch (EPD)
  • 03.03 Snipperclips: Cut it Out, Together! (SFB Games)
  • 04.28 Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (EPD)
  • 06.16 Arms (EPD)
  • 07.06 Flip Wars (Over Fence) west only
  • 07.21 Splatoon 2 (EPD)
  • 09.22 Pokkén Tournament DX (Bandai Namco)
  • 10.20 Fire Emblem Warriors (Omega Force/Team Ninja) west only
  • 10.27 Super Mario Odyssey (EPD)
  • 12.01 Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Monolith)
  • 12.06 Karaoke Joysound for Nintendo Switch (Xing) Japan only
  • 01.18 Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle (Ubisoft Milan/Paris) Japan only
  • 02.09 Dragon Quest Builders (Square Enix) west only
  • 02.16 Bayonetta (Platinum)
  • 02.16 Bayonetta 2 (Platinum)
  • 03.16 Kirby: Star Alles (HAL)
  • 04.20 Nintendo Labo ToyCon 01: Variety Kit (EPD)
  • 04.20 Nintendo Labo ToyCon 02: Robot Kit (EPD)
  • 05.03 Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Retro)
  • 05.13 Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition (Omega Force/Team Ninja) west only
  • 05.29 Pokémon Quest (Game Freak)
  • 06.08 Sushi Striker: Way of the Sushido (indieszero)
  • 06.22 Mario Tennis Aces (Camelot)
  • 07.13 Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (EPD/NST)
  • 07.13 Octopath Traveler (Square Enix/Acquire) west only
  • 07.27 Go Vacation (Bandai Namco/Shade) west only
  • 09.14 Nintendo Labo ToyCon 03: Vehicle Kit (EPD)
  • 09.19 Nintendo Entertainment System: Nintendo Switch Online (likely NERD)
  • 09.21 Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna, the Golden Country (Monolith)
  • 10.05 Super Mario Party (NdCube)
  • 10.12 The World Ends with You: Final Remix (Square Enix/h.a.n.d.) west only
  • 11.16 Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! / Evee! (Game Freak)
  • 12.07 Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Sora/Bandai Namco)
  • 12.21 Fitness Boxing (Imagineer) west only
  • 01.11 New Super Mario Bros. U (EPD)
  • 02.13 Tetris 99 (Arika)
  • 03.29 Yoshi's Crafted World (Good-Feel)
  • 04.26 BoxBoy! + BoxGirl! (HAL)
  • 06.xx Super Mario Maker 2 (likely EPD)
  • 07.12 Dragon Quest Builders 2 (Square Enix/Omega Force) west only
  • 07.26 Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Intelligent Systems)
  • 08.30 Astral Chain (Platinum)
  • SUM Daemon X Machina (Marvelous First Studio) west only
  • SUM Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order (Team Ninja)
  • FALL Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age Definitive Edition (Square Enix/Orca) west only
  • TBA Animal Crossing (likely EPD)
  • TBA The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (likely EPD)
  • TBA Luigi's Mansion 2 (likely Next Level)
  • TBA Pokémon (Game Freak)
  • TBA Town (Game Freak)
TBA
  • Bayonetta 3 (Platinum)
  • Metroid Prime 3 (Retro)

Thank fuck someone else understands what internally developed means.

cgatto

Feb 9, 2018
Canada
I agree with the general statement that Q1 is looking slow. Cool, I'll play the myriad of PS4 games I'm looking forward to for the spring.
But to say that Nintendo's 2019 looks weak, or worse than 2018, is so out there. 2019 is looking like a banner year for the platform.

Oct 26, 2017
You're stating things as facts without any sources to back them up. Upper management is disorganized? Where are your sources?

Year 2 may have been a dud to you, but that's a bad take.

So like your original post?

I'm stating things as fact? Did I tout myself as an analyst here? I'm confused by what's pissing you off. Am I stating facts or sharing my personal grievences, per the bolded? Which is it, you tell me? Let me know which works for your shitposting needs.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
So you only come into a thread that by your self admission is hardly of interest to you to show it to those "babies" that complain about the lack of output by a video game company on a forum about video games, yet ignore all counter arguments to everything you say and instead fall back on ad hominem attacks.

You must be fun to be around.
I haven't read the whole thread's responses, I just see you in my notifications taking positions that are not solveable. Then when I give you a suggestion, you get offended and say it's not good enough, even though it's your only reasonable solution. I'd call that crying.

And by the way, having less interest in a specific platform (I'm still interested in multiple games from Nintendo this year) does not bar someone from being allowed to give their opinion on a topic. But there you go again, crying that someone says something to the contrary.

Apr 21, 2018
Does the Captain Toad DLC count?

I sort of agree. That Metroid Prime Trilogy remastered would have fit nicely in May.

I'm decently happy with Yoshi, Boy Boy, and some indies/3rd-parties/Smash DLC until Mario Maker 2. June will be here before you know it.

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018

At this point last year, Nintendo's major fall/holiday games (Smash, SMP, Pokemon Let's Go) hadn't been announced yet, let along dated.

At this point in 2017, Super Mario Galaxy and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 didn't have release dates.

So if your implication is that the lack of a release date means these games will be delayed out of 2019, I think that's pretty presumptuous.

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't read the whole thread's responses, I just see you in my notifications taking positions that are not solveable. Then when I give you a suggestion, you get offended and say it's not good enough, even though it's your only reasonable solution. I'd call that crying.

And by the way, having less interest in a specific platform (I'm still interested in multiple games from Nintendo this year) does not bar someone from being allowed to give their opinion on a topic. But there you go again, crying that someone says something to the contrary.
In my first post you quoted it clearly says I can only reasonably play games on a Switch but you still told me to just play on other platforms. That came off as condescending as hell. Maybe not your intent, I get it. But having lived through all those content droughts on WiiU made me hope for a better game rollout on Switch.

So if I was overly aggressive towards you I'm sorry. The constant reminders that to some people a FF9 (a game I played 20 years ago and don't have any interest to go back to, especially not at $21 when I still have the PS1 discs) is a big 3rd party release comparable to RE2 riled me up unreasonably I guess.

Again, I'm sorry that I acted the way I did.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
It's a very poor start to the year in my opinion.

You can list a dozen games coming out in 2019, but Nintendo isn't releasing anything notable for months.

As I said in another thread, taken as a whole, there's plenty to look forward to this year. But it's a rough start if you ask me.

I didn't think last year was too great, so it's a bit worrying. There were a lot of ports and expansions in 2018, but not a lot of top quality new games.

We forgave a relatively slow year (a couple of big hitters aside) with the expectation 2019 would be a big year.

So far we've found out Metroid Prime 4 has been scrapped and Fire Emblem has been delayed again.

I wouldn't rule out delays to 2019 games with no dates either.

With all of this said, Nintendo will reveal more games this year for sure and there's plenty of reasons to be excited about the future for Switch.

But yeah, it's a shoddy start to the year.

tazmin

Oct 30, 2017
Somehow I think everyone will be fine till June. I have to wonder, was there this much concern during PS4's first years? Because if there was, I'm glad I wasn't around at the time

Ripcord

Oct 30, 2017
Sure, but we know there are metrics of Switch owners already owning multiple systems so a large majority of Switch owners already have another/several other gaming avenues. People may take a few months away from their switch to try something on PS4/XB1/PC, I really don't think it's that big of a deal.
We agree, I don't think it's a big deal either. Even the Switch owners that don't own another platform are majority satisfied it seems. While I personally think the smaller demo that isn't satisfied should get some attention from Nintendo that's not how it historically shakes out.

SuperL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017

Come on people.

That's assuming none of that gets delayed. Fire Emblem is already on its second delay.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Somehow I think everyone will be fine till June. I have to wonder, was there this much concern during PS4's first years? Because if there was, I'm glad I wasn't around at the time
I don't know about here, but generally yes it was like that for the first year or maybe two. Thing is with Switch we're about to hit year 3.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The idea that there's droughts isn't new. But it's also enthusiast rhetoric that's been passed down through every console generation.

And in this particular instance, it was created by Era themselves by repeating the whole "unified development" thing like a mantra, without taking into account how game development works.

Perpetuated as well by the idea that Nintendo needed to have a game release per month; everyone making their yearly lists, again disregarding how game development works.

No normal person is going to play 12 games a year. In fact, the attach rate of the PS4 right now is around 9 games per console.

Nintendo cannot create 12 high-quality polished games every year. It's unrealistic.

Go play that one game you've been putting off, ya nerds!
You talk like people play every game Nintendo makes. PS4 has a attach ratio of 9 because most people would only play 1 out of 100 games. If you only have 10 games most people won't find anything interesting at all. Not every Nintendo game is a guaranteed must-own classic for everyone, so they need to release much more games so that people with different tastes can all find enough games to play.

"PS4 has no game" was more than a meme, it was a valid criticism. PS4 first year lineup was dogshit, no denying of that. It was until 2015 when games like TW3, Bloodborne, MGSV, Fallout 4 came out when the narrative died down. Nintendo fans need to stop being so defensive. Both PS4 and XBOX One had been under barrage.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely hear you on this OP - the existence of multiple threads being like "So which WiiU game do you think we'll get next, guys!" is a pretty sad reality. It's so strange - WiiU was a total fumble on hardware with incredible games, and Switch thus far is turning out to be the complete opposite. Yes, mario odyssey - but honestly I found that a bit underwhelming in the series' lineage (even created a thread about it).

If the WiiU had been significantly more popular and they weren't able to leverage that catalogue so heavily, this would be a dire software situation. And as a WiiU owner myself... it kind of is (particularly, as you say, if you're principally interested in Nintendo titles).

They'll absolutely recover, but I think people have a right to feel a bit short-changed right now.

Zelretch

Oct 25, 2017
Days Gone is the only new 2019 sony developed PS4 game until who knows when their next game will come out (probably September)

Why is Nintendo held to an expectation of releasing new games constantly when they already are the most prolific of the 3 platform holders???? i really don't get it

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am quite happy and hyped about the games that were shown in the direct, but actually thinking about it, this half year is just as pathetic as the first half last year. And Yoshi is not a big title. I wonder if I should stop expecting big Nintendo games in the first haf of the year.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Days Gone is the only new 2019 sony developed PS4 game until who knows when their next game will come out (probably September)

Why is Nintendo held to an expectation of releasing new games constantly when they already are the most prolific of the 3 platform holders???? i really don't get it
Because PS4 and XB1 have phenomenal third party support and a whole strategy around taking a back seat and letting third parties shine, whilst filling the gaps.

If (and when hopefully) Nintendo has that same level of 3rd party support, people will stop complaining about droughts.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
No problem, is it because we get tons of other games from indies and 3rd parties, nonetheless? Which is true, no argue here, but I mostly buy Nintendo consoles for the juicy Nintendo stuff, so am kinda disappointed for now.

No shame, OP. I feel similarly. There just isn't a whole lot I'm really interested in until the summer so I'm also feeling like the spring is a bit lackluster. That's just me and my personal taste connected to what I'm willing to drop money on though because I need to be frugal, sadly.

Zelretch

Oct 25, 2017
If (and when hopefully) Nintendo had that same level of 3rd party support, people will stop complaining about droughts.

But there are a lot of interesting third party games releasing in the next 3 months tho? yeah, very few of them are triple AAA level because the specs of the Switch but still great games. Plus you can play in other platforms or not play at all and do other things (and don't say people may not have those other platforms because then there are a bit amount of ports for Switch which would count as new games)

i bough my PS4 in June last year because i got a nice deal but until Spider-man there wasn't a new game for it i was interested in and i didn't create a thread saying "Until September there are no new exclusives for the PS4". I really don't get this "How can Nintendo not have a new big game for month?" that only applies to them.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But there are a lot of interesting third party games releasing in the next 3 months tho? yeah, very few of them are triple AAA level because the specs of the Switch but still great games. Plus you can play in other platforms or not play at all and do other things (and don't say people may not have those other platforms because then there are a bit amount of ports for Switch which would count as new games)

i bough my PS4 in June last year because i got a nice deal but until Spider-man there wasn't a new game for it i was interested in and i didn't create a thread saying "Until September there are no new exclusives for the PS4". I really don't get this "How can Nintendo not have a new big game for month?" that only applies to them.
Well firstly as far as this discussion goes, new AAA games is what people care about. In terms of sheer numbers Switch gets more new games. So there's that worth bearing in mind.

As for Switch getting lots of third party games, it's getting lots more than Nintendo has typically got before, but it's still quite a bit behind. A quick look at upcoming major multiplat games (AAA, AA or first time remasters) will show you that.

That said Nintendo is catching up and picking up pace. And when PS5 and XB2 launch, I'm sure the exact opposite will be true. But talking purely about the next few months, it's still a little dry.

machinaea

Game Producer
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I get the feeling that Nintendo's development and production schedule and operations have changed somehow. Nothing else explains this.
They have limited resources, the scope of their games has risen and increasing staff is difficult, slow and expensive. Even some years ago visiting Japan and talking to a few people in AAA company and their mobile division there, the Japanese industry struggles with finding developers. The problem is apparently especially difficult in the AAA section as many developers prefer working on mobile (and to them, more so in Japan than over here). Hiring is also quite expensive in games, and lead-times are easily 6+ months for certain roles, not to mention the time it takes to onboard people in these projects and to new companies.

All of those factors combined with the fact that some of Nintendo's bigger productions ended not that long ago (unfortunately 1-2 years isn't your average production cycle length at all) means that Nintendo simply can't currently push too many big titles out of the door (and the pressure to deliver might only help create failed projects, as nonetheless the expectation is that not all games that end up in production, get to end and ship).

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018

Not to be picky, but Sony also has MLB The Show in March and Concrete Genie allegedly in Spring.

The only reason why I can think that Nintendo gets a harsher feedback (perhaps unfairly) because they aren't getting every single major third party release, so people rely on them to deliver more than Sony and Microsoft on a constant basis.

Kozy

Dec 4, 2017
Well firstly as far as this discussion goes, new AAA games is what people care about. In terms of sheer numbers Switch gets more new games. So there's that worth bearing in mind.

As for Switch getting lots of third party games, it's getting lots more than Nintendo has typically got before, but it's still quite a bit behind. A quick look at upcoming major multiplat games (AAA, AA or first time remasters) will show you that.

That said Nintendo is catching up and picking up pace. And when PS5 and XB2 launch, I'm sure the exact opposite will be true. But talking purely about the next few months, it's still a little dry.

If AAA are what people care about then Switch will always disappoint as it's limited by its form factor. The mid range games that used to be the staple of handhelds are digital titles now.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty weak. Seems bonkers to me that some people go "Nintendo only". You're just missing out on too much.