• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Streusel

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 28, 2017
from Saito's famitsu new year interview:

translation via deepl

What we are looking out for in 2022:
I am very interested in NFT-related contents and games. I believe that new play starts with new technology, so I want to do something with NFT at the moment. However, there are still a lot of things that are yet to be announced, so it will probably be after that. ......

from this article, two other square devs mention nfts as well + one from konami, sega
https://www.famitsu.com/news/202112/27245579.html?page=8

notify me if the translation is wrong

Last edited:

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Excited for something about no one cares, with the prospect to make money on a self-inflated market use for money laundry.

It's how you see companies are completly disconnected.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
200w.gif

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
You gain NFTs by playing through the game, but to access the true ending you have to delete your NFTs.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Moving forward you should assume any big name publisher or game creator is going to talk positively about NFTs. Either because its the company line (which is probably the case here) or because theyre into it.

Your only hope is that it crashes and burns like 3D tvs

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Moving forward you should assume any big name publisher or game creator is going to talk positively about NFTs. Either because its the company line (which is probably the case here) or because theyre into it.

That is expected.
But the issue is: There's no demand for that ?
3D TVs had at least a neat feature, but what's to gain here ? There's no selling point save for "it's exciting !"

XaviConcept

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
That is expected.
3D TVs had at least a neat feature, but what's to gain here ? There's no selling point save for "it's exciting !"
Its pretty simple, investors and executives go "holy shit theres money to be made in NFTs" followed by some sort of internal messaging that all upcoming games must explore possible blockchain/NFT options.

That is, in turn, followed by game creators and directors within the company to pitch projects to executives and guess which projects have a higher possibility of getting greenlit or getting more funding? The ones that are pushing the company line and, in this example, it would be NFTs.

I mean, for them its next gen DLC. Content that they can generate easily, sell for MORE money AND get money back when it gets resold? Thats, in that spectrum, hugely exciting for a publisher.

To think about it in a "how does this make games better" perspective is, at the Square Enix level, naive. Sorry :( That is very much secondary.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I read a Twitter thread last month (a couple of them actually) about how Japan is going to be a uniquely lucrative mark for NFTs because their collector culture is already predisposed to having highly limited and minimally produced items and otaku are also the perfect demographic for expensive digital collectibles as a small market with robust spending habits.

Among other reasons (like how the grift over there is that "NFTs are copyright" and all the anti-crypto discourse is mostly in English) I am wary the trajectory of this kind of thing will be more successful in Japan than it is here. I have no doubt that these initiatives will fail miserably in the west, but I am not sure what to expect from Japan.

Richardi

Oct 28, 2017
I read a Twitter thread last month (a couple of them actually) about how Japan is going to be a uniquely lucrative mark for NFTs because their collector culture is already predisposed to having highly limited and minimally produced items and otaku are also the perfect demographic for expensive digital collectibles as a small market with robust spending habits.

Among other reasons (like how the grift over there is that "NFTs are copyright" and all the anti-crypto discourse is mostly in English) I am wary the trajectory of this kind of thing will be more successful in Japan than it is here. I have no doubt that these initiatives will fail miserably in the west, but I am not sure what to expect from Japan.
Oh, boy. Can't wait for NFT gacha, a truly limited unit only for a thousand of players? yeah...

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Its pretty simple, investors and executives go "holy shit theres money to be made in NFTs" followed by some sort of internal messaging that all upcoming games must explore possible blockchain/NFT options.

That is, in turn, followed by game creators and directors within the company to pitch projects to executives and guess which projects have a higher possibility of getting greenlit or getting more funding? The ones that are pushing the company line and, in this example, it would be NFTs.

I mean, for them its next gen DLC. Content that they can generate easily, sell for MORE money AND get money back when it gets resold? Thats, in that spectrum, hugely exciting for a publisher.

To think about it in a "how does this make games better" perspective is, at the Square Enix level, naive. Sorry :( That is very much secondary.

But it's backed by no data at all. How can a company runs like this ? I'm not even thinking it as "Does this make the product better" but more like "Does it make the product more appealing/Does it make more money ?" which doesn't even seem to be the case here. The only thing that I can see making a case here is potentially the ROI which MAY be decent considering the cost involved is... small.

I'd understand if that trend was in Japan only. But it's worldwide.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
3D TVs in the grand scheme of things kinda had some very minor practical uses but what in the hell does NFTs bring to the picture outside of making money

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Oh for sure. Tech companies salivate at the prospect of NFTs worldwide because it promises their own ecosystem of arbitrary goods that cost very little to produce and maintain. These companies love the prospect of selling people literally nothing and profiting from it. What's not to love? They can drop techy jargon to their investors and state that they're cutting edge for utilizing new technology to produce new revenue streams and everything.

However in the west we see a ton of pushback against this that does not exist (at least not in the same way) in Japan. So how these initiatives go over there compared to here is going to be something to watch.

XaviConcept

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
But it's backed by no data at all. How can a company runs like this ? I'm not even thinking it as "Does this make the product better" but more like "Does it make the product more appealing/Does it make more money ?" which doesn't even seem to be the case here. The only thing that I can see making a case here is potentially the ROI which MAY be decent considering the cost involved is... small.

Conpanies project earnings based on speculation, this happens all the time and with crypto there has been some evidence that the sooner you get in, the better, right? You remember all those posts of "buy bitcoin now since it grew 500% in 3 years" right? Well its the same with NFTs, companies like Square can go "wait, what if we can sell one piece of DLC for 1000$ instead of 10$?" Especially when a year ago some big artist NFTS were selling for large sums of money.

I fucking despise this bullshit but yes, the groundwork has been made for big AAA companies to be excited about the potential for crypto in games. Look at what NBA Top Shot did a year ago as an example.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany

Yeah this. Everyone will talk about it. But if they do it is another question.

Mzen

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Another one in the trash pile. It's gonna be an Indie game filled year (or several years) for me, that's for sure.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
NFT only benefit is making money for the publisher, but doesn't really add anything to the user. Hope it crash and burn.

plastic love

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 19, 2019

You got a link to any of those Twitter threads?

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
THIS CANNOT CONTINUE
THIS CANNOT CONTINUE
THIS CANNOT CONTINUE

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Just imagine what nft will be for idol otaku culture. Holy shit

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Again, someone very excited but can't give a single exemple of what it will bring that isn't possible now.
Every single fucking time.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Many devs are actually pretty into nfts especially artists. You're gonna have to keep a list of this is what drives you away from games. Just look up the art director of God Of War not only does he push and makes them but has sold some for VERY high prices. You can basically go down a rabbit hole once you find one that actively pushes it and who comments and follows them.

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States