• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
So, it seems that Electronic Arts is in a weird spot right now.

Battlefield V is underperforming while FIFA sales are slowing down.

The Star Wars deal seems a mess in terms of management, with cancelled games and a disaster such as Battlefront II.

And now investors are getting alarmed.

So... let's say you are in charge at Electronic Arts. What would you do to exit this swamp?

My take:
- Publish some more low-budget games such as Unravel (they could perform well and could easily be multiplatform)
- Reboot Dead Space as a mid-budget game
- Announce a new Wing Commander game. Let's put this library of old IPs in good use.
- Announce a new proper Theme Park or Dungeon Keeper game. No microtransaction shit this time.
- About that: keep microtransactions at a distance
- Release a stand-alone Battlefield V Battle Royale mode.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
keeping MTX at a distance would crater the company. like it or not, it's teh source of a lot of their revenue

Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Make Battlefield BattleRoyale F2P and add maps from every entry on the franchise since BF3. Appeal to the BF3 'nostalgia' and see profit.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Make Mirror's Edge games out the wazoo. I mean, it probably won't make them money, but it'd make me happy.

I'd bring Burnout back too while I'm at it.

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I would bring back the Desert Strike games.

Commit to a Star Wars adventure game.

Do more sci fi games. Such as a Super Metroid like open space game. A space bounty hunter game so to speak where you do crime investigations and find criminals on the run throughout a galaxy.

And put more resources into single player games.

Pennywise

Oct 25, 2017
My take:
- Publish some more low-budget games such as Unravel (they could perform well and could easily be multiplatform)
- Reboot Dead Space as a mid-budget game
- Announce a new Wing Commander game. Let's put this library of old IPs in good use.
- Announce a new proper Theme Park or Dungeon Keeper game. No microtransaction shit this time.
- About that: keep microtransactions at a distance
So basically getting those investors even more alarmed?

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't panic, there's still a lot of good things going for the company.

I'd OK a number of Star Wars projects ... Star Wars VR game (X-Wing/TIE Fighter) yes, Star Wars action game, yes. Star Wars game for Switch, yup.

Then I'd OK more original IP.

New Sim City for PS4/XB1/Switch.

I'd turn NBA Live into an arcadey franchise.

Freddo

Oct 27, 2017
Småland, Sweden
Bring back creative software like Deluxe Paint and Deluxe Music.

Deluxe Paint was really the Photoshop of the 80s and early 90s and then they just dropped it, letting other graphic software take the lead.

Mitsurugi

Alt-account
Dec 11, 2018
Bring back all the great games from before, stop forcing MTX on every shit and gain people's trust back.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Find a way to make all the GaaS games F2P. Alternatively, offer all games on a subscription service for $10/month. Folks can still buy them if they want.

Zukkoyaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Make a point of reigning in budgets and sales projections would be my biggest priority (at least for non-sports games). Basically stop throwing literally thousands of devs onto a project simply to make the holiday season.

Getting away from the 10+ million copies sold in addition to microtransactions in order to be a success. It's absolutely absurd that a game like BFII can move 7 million units in a quarter and still be considered a bummer.

Oct 25, 2017
You presumably have enough power to green light basically any game you want.
I'd probably do that for myself.

In order to actually make money, can't say they've been too off.
Mtx make them a ton with fifa.

Disney Star Wars deal is probably more expensive than it was worth.
Probably no going around that, tho

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
Make Mirror's Edge games out the wazoo. I mean, it probably won't make them money, but it'd make me happy.

I'd bring Burnout back too while I'm at it.

I'm make Mirror's Edge an AA title while rebooting Burnout in the veins of Revenge or Takedown with some open-world roam (drop-in/drop-our multiplayer like Forza Horizon)

Give Bioware whatever money EA has left to make KOTOR3.

I agree with this. But also reboot Dead Space and keep the scale of the game at AA until it becomes a hit again.

I agree with this and bring back Sims and scale it back but make it GaaS

Bring back all the great games from before, stop forcing MTX on every shit and gain people's trust back.

Same

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
either resign right away or embrace the dark side and keep business as usual. we're talking EA 2019 here so it's one way or the other

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Not demand Frostbite for all EA games
KOTOR3
Figure out an NCAA license. If not, go full mutant league

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Super The Force Awakens
Super The Last Jedi
Super The Phantom Menace
Super Attack of the Clones
Super Revenge of the Sith
Super Rouge One
Super Solo
Super Knights Of The Old Republic 3
Rogue Squadron 4
Battlefront 2 "The Good One" HD

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Ship a damn Star Wars game. Bring in DICE and Criterion on Respawn's game if they need help. Hire more liasons to deal with the Lucasfilm approval people. Just get an AAA Star Wars title out there that isn't Battlefront. Then collect the money.

And if all that works out, I have a radical plan for how we follow up: Make another one! Maybe even have two projects ongoing at the same time! And give them the capital and support they need to avoid zombieing on for years before being cancelled. Because, the most valuable media IP in the world should be much more than a vehicle to set money on fire!
Also I would greenlight another Mass Effect game.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Give Bioware whatever money EA has left to make KOTOR3.

The most we're getting is a spiritual successor to KOTOR. We're not getting sequels since the first two aren't canon and some things have been taken, changed and introduced into canon!
IM HERE FOR A NEW BIOWARE STAR WARS RPG THO!!

Kaelan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
A couple things

- Do a new dead space AAA, and if needed get Microsoft to moneyhat it as a timed exclusive for scarlet

- give Dice 2-3 years and allow them to work on a proper Battlefield Bad Company 3 in modern day

- Reboot Burnout at a mid tier

- publish More indie titles etc

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Time for Maxis to get some money and Star Wars to have a game actually release.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
-Bring back Visceral to helm Kingdoms of Amalur 2.

-Port the complete Battlefield 3 to Switch

- Need for Speed team (whomever that is) does a Pod Racing game.

- Drop support for Battlefront 2 and move everyone to Battlefield V.

- I'm lukewarm on Titanfall. I'd probably put it on ice for several years. Respawn would work on a mech multiplayer game. Mechs vs Dragons. It'd be a new ip.

ZanderEzekial

Oct 25, 2017
Cyberspace
UF1vQAB.gif

This is the only right answer.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
The most we're getting is a spiritual successor to KOTOR. We're not getting sequels since the first two aren't canon and some things have been taken, changed and introduced into canon!
IM HERE FOR A NEW BIOWARE STAR WARS RPG THO!!

I don't 'think' there's been much new canon that actively overide KOTOR so far. They could easily do a Shrodinger's Canon thing where they just don't say whether it's canon with the new stuff or not since they haven't touched the time period yet.

EmptyWarren

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Bring back Skate as a f2p game. All tricks available and all that, but cosmetics would be mtx on top of earned in-game currency. Game is open to play and there would be customization options up front, but you paying for extra wheels, deck designs, clothes, etc. Online only.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I'd try to generate some goodwill with a Skate 4.
Also start development on a RE7-like VR compatible Dead Space 4.
Try to get a Star Wars Overwatch-like game happening.
Unify the microtransactions as one shared EA currency - have a UPlay like loyalty thing. FIFA sales will carry the rest of the titles.
Battlefield Bad Company 3 (but rumours are they're doing that).
Try to reboot the cancelled Star Wars project as an uncomplicated, linear Uncharted clone (instead of open-world, or sabotage based as in Hennig's version).

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Not demand Frostbite for all EA games
These seems pretty crucial as well. It's all well and good to want to use your own engine. But if it doesn't work well with certain genres of games, maybe...build a new engine for those games? Or improve the engine so that it does? Seems like otherwise you'll just get more expensive projects failing because devs can't make things work when using the wrong tools for the job.