• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FashionTarkus

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
-Genre : ARPG
-Director : Hidetaka Miyazaki
-Writer: YokoTaro and Neil Druckmann
-Artist: Scott Sinclair (Bioshock) and Shigenori Soejima (Persona)
-Composer: Shoji Meguro (Persona)

Oct 25, 2017
My bugshit crazy idear.

Kanye West Presents Stanley Kubrick's Napoleon. Hubris Cubed.

-Genre : Tactical Strategy ala Total War with Palace Intrigue Adventure Game and Insane Psychedelic Historical Virtual Tourism.
-Director : Ken Levine for Creative Assembly, with Steven Spielberg producing.
-Writer: Stanley Kubrick's ol' unfinished ambitious as hell screenplay for the basis.
-Artist: Kanye playing Napoleon. Visuals would steer more towards historical photo-realism, I guess.
-Composer: Kanye with Mick Gordon doing the heavy lifting.

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Honestly, I'd probably spend a chunk convincing Konami to sell me or at least license me the Suikoden IP and then the rest coaxing Miki Higashino back to do the music. But if I've got to do my own thing...

Genre
: Strategy; the pitch is a grand strategy adaptation of the Peloponnesian War.

Director
: Soren Johnson

Writers
: Taylor Mac and Enda Walsh; this is an extravagant waste of money when most of the game's writing will be instructional rather than dramatic, but if I've got the budget, I'd love to supplement all the Thucydides quotations with funny (but thoroughly-researched) bits that will give the game a distinctive tone. I'm thinking here of how much the writing added to Alpha Centauri.

Artist
: ???

Composer
: Christopher Tin

Last edited:

Kater

Oct 25, 2017
-Genre
Choose Your Own Adventure / RPG (CYOA with stats and fail states even if you pick the option with a better outcome)

-Director

Someone who's both good at keeping a group together but also experienced in the field, but also not too conservative. Not sure who that would be to be honest.

-Writer

People that wrote for other mediums before would be preferred, I'd love to have people that studied Psychology, Philosophy and other fields so that they have a good basis to create their own interesting stories and so that the game's narrative doesn't just fall in line with a lot of other games in it's story structure or how the story plays out.

Maybe some of the Telltale staff that got laid off because sometimes their work was brilliant when they weren't rushed by deadlines with added crunch periods.

-Artist
Uff

I don't know. Joe Senebria I guess, after looking at his portfolio. I liked Fallout New Vegas designs of distinct locations and that's thanks to Senebria.

-Composer
I don't know about that either. I would just hire Miracle of Sound because hiring all those big names like Inon Zur is firstly repetitive anyway and secondly probably costs a lot more. Plus I think MoS understands video games as a medium better.

Oct 27, 2017
-Genre
I'd go for a wide-linear FPS with level design inspired by Halo:CE and Crysis and no ADS.

-Director

I'd quite like to see Cory Barlog (God of War) try his hand at this genre, but I'd also like to see Alex Ward (Black, Burnout) have another crack with a big budget.

-Writer

I think maybe Neil Druckmann (The Last of Us) because I really like how he writes characters. And Drew Karpyshyn (ex-Bioware) because I've enjoyed all his plots and they always have a good twist.

-Artist

Whoever is lead artist on Overwatch. I love its visual style and I think it'll age really nicely. I also really like the design of the spaceships and tech in Helldivers, so whoever was responsible for that.

-Composer

Ari Pulkkinen (Resogun, Nex Machina, Trine). I love his electronica music and would like him to get more exposure.

-Sound designer
Either whoever is responsible for this at DICE or at Creative Assembly (re. Alien Isolation in particular). If I'm firing guns I want them to sound loud and scary and dangerous.

-Gameplay designer
I really liked what Kurt Margenau did with Uncharted: The Lost Legacy. I'd also like to hire whoever was responsible for the level design and pacing in Titanfall 2.

For the first game I'd go narratively pretty straightforward; encounter hostile aliens on another planet and got to get off-planet and back to warn Earth/the alliance of Earth planets. Basically the whole setup is pretty similar to the original Halo but narratively I've never liked the direction they took after the first game. I'd want wide levels, a feeling of discovery like Halo or Unreal and gameplay that's relatively old school. Have a small selection of about 8-10 weapons (on a weapon wheel), about 6-8 distinct enemy types with different behaviours and a nice level of environmental interaction allowing for tactics, like in Crysis 1.

Isn't this enough money to buy whole Capcom?

Without checking, I really doubt it. I'd guess their value is closer to 5-6 times as much.

Last edited:

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
what's the difference between Director and Producer, when it comes to video games??

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly just a crack team of programmers and animators from Naughty Dog and Rockstar. Maybe the artists from Bloodborne, too. Would love to try and helm the creative lead myself. Always been a dream of mine.

Oct 27, 2017
what's the difference between Director and Producer, when it comes to video games??

Director decides what goes in the game, tells teams what they want, has final say over things like script, character designs, etc.
Producer is more in place to make sure everything goes to plan, milestones are hit, the budget is under control etc.

That's always been my assumption/understanding anyway.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Genre: ARPG
Director: Hideki Kamiya and Amy Hennig
Writer: Pendleton Ward and Sam Esmail
Artist: Rebecca Sugar (with a strong emphasis on less whimsical designs), Yusuke Murada
Art Director: Fabrice Nzinzi
Composer: Amon Tobin

The cynic in me says that I get 20 million of that money to Doug Houser to ensure that I get another 100 million down the line...but that's a real deal with the devil at this point.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
  • Genre: Fighting (2.5D)
  • Director: Hideaki Itsuno
  • Writer: Writing Team for Devil May Cry 3
    • Bingo Morihashi
    • Takayasu Yanagihara
  • Art: Lead Character Art Team for ARMS
    • Daisuke Kageyama
    • Ryota Akutsu
    • Masahiro Kawanishi
    • Shunsuke Otsuka
  • Composer: ACE (TOMOri Kudo / CHiCO)
I'm honestly surprised that I'm the only one who brought up a fighting game so far.

Last edited:

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Genre/Premise: Combination of FPS+ First Person space flight game where you are a bounty hunter and travel to diff planets and space stations trying to make a name for yourself. It would be semi open-world and through some quests you'll end up stumbling onto main story and side missions as you explore. Basically I want something similar to Freelancer but on an even grander scale.

Director:Me
Writer:Me and Drew Karpyshyn
Artist: No fucking clue
Composer: Marty O'Donnell and Michael Salvatori

Bernkastel

Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Jan 15, 2018
Brazil
Genre: Cosmic Horror ARPG

Director: Hidetaka Miyazaki

Writer: Hideo Kojima and Yoko Taro

Artist: From Software Art Team.

Composer: Tsukasa Saitoh, Nobuyoshi Suzuki, Yuka Kitamura.

Basically Bloodborne 2 with Hideo Kojima and Yoko Taro.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All of the people that made Valkyrie Profile 1/2. And we'll make a game called Sideview of a Battle Maiden.

ShinNL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Don't worry about it being my job, I don't take any offence and I didn't mean my post to be offensive either. In any case, I think you're grossly misinformed.

UX is almost never, just one person. Ubisoft, Square Enix, Edios, Activision, Blizzard, Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, EA, employ hundreds of user researchers. Smaller studios tend to either have respectively smaller teams, or outsource work. User research work is often not disclosed publicly (for various reasons).

Just looking at your post history. Almost every game you talk about on this forum, has had the contribution of countless user researchers. This is also true for every piece of hardware you play on.

I commented on your server team because you didn't indicate what your game would do. Are these used for internal process pipelines, or in-game infrastructure? If you have an online game (multiplayer or no), then it collects data, all game developers use data to inform design decisions. Balance, bugs, and simply, good design is informed by analytics.

You speak of agile game development, and SCRUM, but I'm not convinced you know what they entail. SCRUM and other agile approaches to game development structure are explicitly, iterative. That iterative process is not valuable without validating the implementation against the actual, player experience. Only by doing so, can you determine if your design intentions are being achieved, and whether your game is even usable.

It's not about making decisions that alter the design intent. It's about offering data by which the player experience can be can be measured against the design intent, so as to determine whether your design intentions are actually be realised.

And don't worry. I'm not looking to be hired in the imaginary video game development thread.
What exactly does UX entail in your definition? What I'm aware of is often UX design is often done by one person. Sometimes it's non-technical, non-creative and passed on to a developer and designer. Sometimes it's a technical & creative person who implements it right away as well (3 skills in 1 type of person). With certain games its very noticeable when there's a disconnect between UX & UI design. Bloodstained for example clearly has 3 seperate decision makers for the UI (UX, developer, designer). Whereas FFXIV 2.0 for example, is done by 1 person.

As for actual user data, I'd assume the test team will be mostly be trying to play the game and report findings and opinions (I'll basically encourage them to say something is terrible if it's terrible). They are not a team of developers who write tests. It seems that you define this more as a UX team, is that correct? But then I'm not quite sure what you would put into a 10 man test team that isn't playing and providing feedback. As for automated tests, I always like to keep that to the development team. As SCRUM entails that a finished userstory is ready as is, I really am not fond of 'completed' userstories that still require work later. It creates weight that you need to carry, until so much weight is added that moving forward turns into a crawl (seen this happen way too much). Userstories should be a fire & forget kind of thing. Thus a userstory has it's own needed tests. It doesn't have to be complicated, just a simple check that it continues to work in the future.

Anything not related to the game code would go to the server team. They handle pipelines and needs for servers. Game infrastructure is a mixed bag, preferably done by DevOps with game-code knowledge (so they know what's needed). Since it's game-code, I prefer them to be one of the engine developers, so I can leave the server team as simply the server team.

I did not setup true analytics for real player data, because it wouldn't be part of the development story. After launch (or before beta), that's when I would start needing data analysts and strong marketing / communication team. Before that I already reserved a few slots to fill small bits of communication with the 4:1 budget.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd somehow mix bungie with the team that made elder scrolls online and make what I believe destiny should be. Also throw Sean from hello games in there as well

Phalk

Oct 27, 2017
Campo Grande, Brazil
*Pick up to 2 for each role
-Genre
-Director
-Writer
-Artist
-Composer

Made a similar thread back on Gaf, but I'm curious what Era would choose. For me i'd pick...

-Genre: JRPG

-Director: Yoshinori Kitase; The GOAT SE director. Directed FF6-FFX (Minus 9) and Chrono Trigger. He sucks ass a producer but as a director I don't think Square has ever had someone as consistent as him.

-Writer: Tetsuya Takahashi and Soraya Saga; Xenogears is by far my favorite JRPG and It's story has yet to be topped. Takahashi's world building, combined with Saga's character writing is a combo I don't think can be beat.

-Artist: Akihiko Yoshida; Artist for FF12, FFT, Bravely Default and Nier Automata. This dude's art is so fucking beautiful. I don't think I've ever seen a single character design from him that I didn't instantly fall in love with.

-Composer: Yasunori Mitsuda; Composer for the Xeno and Chrono games. Probably my favorite Composer ever. His music is just so fucking amazing and distinct. It always leaves an impression on me.

So what would your ideal game line up be?

Your picks are exactly the same as mine would be.

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
I will put it on YS9
and will ask platinum to help falcom to make it.
I don't care if it failed.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea, I shouldn't be doing this, but I'll just find out who are the people responsible for Final Fantasy I Beastmaster, and Puppet Master, jobs. I'd get them to make a open zones (ffxi, and ffxii), or open world rpg with charmable monsters (beastmaster ability). There wil...

I'd just pay Square to make FFXI remaster with offline or small group co op. Screw making a new game.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
-Genre: Action-adventure RPG
-Director: Yoko Taro
-Writer: Yoko Taro
-Artist: Hiroya Oku
-Composer: Shoji Meguro

It would be a game for me instead of the market so it would completely fail and it would be a dark edge fest with violence, symbolism, mechanics playing a part on the story in a modern tokyo dominated for years as a colony by aliens much like the entire world after a invasion. The protagonist would be born after the invasion and I don't know the rest but the base premise is that.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Peter Molyneux, Sean Murray, and Todd Howard, purely to see the thread that results here.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
Genre: JRPG

Director: Hironobu Sakaguchi

Writer: Takashi Tokita, Yoshinori Kitase, Hironobu Sakaguchi

Artist: Yoshitaka Amano

Composer: Nobuo Uematsu

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
What exactly does UX entail in your definition? What I'm aware of is often UX design is often done by one person. Sometimes it's non-technical, non-creative and passed on to a developer and designer. Sometimes it's a technical & creative person who implements it right away as well (3 skills in 1 type of person). With certain games its very noticeable when there's a disconnect between UX & UI design. Bloodstained for example clearly has 3 seperate decision makers for the UI (UX, developer, designer). Whereas FFXIV 2.0 for example, is done by 1 person.

As for actual user data, I'd assume the test team will be mostly be trying to play the game and report findings and opinions (I'll basically encourage them to say something is terrible if it's terrible). They are not a team of developers who write tests. It seems that you define this more as a UX team, is that correct? But then I'm not quite sure what you would put into a 10 man test team that isn't playing and providing feedback. As for automated tests, I always like to keep that to the development team. As SCRUM entails that a finished userstory is ready as is, I really am not fond of 'completed' userstories that still require work later. It creates weight that you need to carry, until so much weight is added that moving forward turns into a crawl (seen this happen way too much). Userstories should be a fire & forget kind of thing. Thus a userstory has it's own needed tests. It doesn't have to be complicated, just a simple check that it continues to work in the future.

Anything not related to the game code would go to the server team. They handle pipelines and needs for servers. Game infrastructure is a mixed bag, preferably done by DevOps with game-code knowledge (so they know what's needed). Since it's game-code, I prefer them to be one of the engine developers, so I can leave the server team as simply the server team.

I did not setup true analytics for real player data, because it wouldn't be part of the development story. After launch (or before beta), that's when I would start needing data analysts and strong marketing / communication team. Before that I already reserved a few slots to fill small bits of communication with the 4:1 budget.

In the original post I wrote UX/User Researcher. They go by many names, user experience researcher, games user researcher, player researcher, ect. This is very distinct from a UI designer, the role of a user researcher is to validate the game designs against the actual player experience. This keeps the project on track, ensure the game is usable and achieving its design intentions.

The test team are not an adequate substitute for your actual users. There are a few key reasons for this:

a) they aren't your target audience
b) they are far too close to the product (and its politics) to be objective
c) the testers will generally have a poor understanding of usability and human psychology

Something we see all the time with smaller/mid weight studios without a UX team, is they test the game internally, then they come to us to test the game with their target audience, and the target audience don't play the game in the way that the developers, or testers anticipated they would.

Almost all large developers have user researchers involved at very early stages, providing evaluations of the early game concept, and things like UI wireframes. It might seem like extra work to involve user research at these early stages,

Analytics are typically hooked in at the games early production states. Feedback from analytics data is a key component of modern, iterative development. As an example, Breath of the Wild's map was altered based on heatmaps generated from analytics data, which showed where players were most likely to explore. As a result, the developers were able to populate those locations with interesting things. Analytics can be useful for tracking data generated by the testers, pre-alpha.

Perhaps a really easy to understand example is difficulty balancing. After a while, your testers have absolutely no idea how difficult the game actually is.

In general you won't see any studios of the size that you're describing, without some form of user research team involved in every project from very early stages of development.

Nyrad

Oct 27, 2017
I want a 'The Last Express' Reinterpretation from Campo Santo/Valve. That would be perfect.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
I'm giving all of that to Fumito Ueda and telling him to make how many games that he wants

Last edited:

Deleted member 25108

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
An accountant
A personal shopper
A real estate agent
A travel agent

The game: - Living the life of a millionare.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
The goal is to make the best JRPG of all time.

- it needs to be massive, with up to 300 hours of contents: i want to be invested in this world for months, it's a big JRPG, it's supposed to be a big and long adventure.
- it should have an epic and emotional story, with love, drama, plot twists,... our heroes must save a corrupted world (the story takes place in a futuristic dystopian cyberpunk society)
- It needs to have a very distinctive look, an artstyle completely different from all other JRPGs.
- it needs to be open world, because that's the trend of modern games and it fits well with the idea of a long game.
- as always with JRPGs it needs to have some epic soundtrack.

Director
: Hironobu Sakaguchi (arguagbly the best director you can find for a JRPG, he did wonders with Final Fantasy and Xenogears)

Writer: Tetsuya Takahashi, Soraya Saga (Xeno games are the closest to my ideal video game)

Producer: Eiji Anouma, Katsuma Hashino, Koh Kojima.

Artist: Yusuke Kozaki (incredibly underrated artist, he would give it that unique dark-anime look)

Composer: Yasunori Mitsuda (best composer in this industry for me; the right choice for a JRPG)

Last edited:

MattB

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Get a few good indie guys and make a great $30 game. Most of the budge will be their pay so they know they are worth more than they think.

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Director: Cory Barlog
Art Directors: Characters - Yoji Shinkawa / Environments - Syd mead
Writer: Chris Avellone
Composer: Jack Wall, Sam Hulick.
Cinematics director: Hideo Kojima(expensive, I know, it's just fantasy booking).

- Mass effect reboot.

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
Game: Action combat adventure ala Gundam/Uncharted style fusion
Director: Bruce Straley (or Cory Barlog)
Writer: Amy Hennig
Artist: No idea
Composer: Ryuichi Sakamoto

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Genre: Turn-based Sandbox RPG/Strategy with Adventure & Open World Elements (more Breath of the Wild and less Skyrim). Art and story is part homage to the PS1-era Square(FFVII, Xenogears and Chrono Cross), part subtle commentary of the shallow otaku-pandering of modern RPGs.

Director: Myself & Hiroyuki Ito(Final Fantasy's ATB System creator, director of FFVI, IX and XII) - Hiroyuki Ito deserved to be the true successor to Sakaguchi. However, with my project, he would help overthrow Final Fantasy with his excellent system design.

Writers: Toby Fox & Gen Urobuchi(Fate/Zero, Psycho Pass) - Fox has a knack for creating fantastic characters and sharp humor. Urobuchi excels at creating dark and thematically strong narratives and killing off beloved characters. Toby works equally well with dark content as shown not only in Undertale's Genocide Run, but his Halloween Hack mod for Earthbound. Together, if in perfect cooperation, they would create an incredibly compelling world and cast that subverts and brutalizes the cliches we all know and hate in modern JRPGs.

Artists:
Yusuke Naora(FFVII & X) will be art director and Nobuteru Yuki(Chrono Cross, Escaflowne) will be character designer - Naora helped define RPGs of the mid-90s and early 2000s with Final Fantasy VII and X. Nobuteru Yuki is a severely underrated character designer who helped popularize Japanese fantasy designs in the early 90s with Record of Lodoss War and Escaflowne.

In addition, the visual presentation will be 2D hand-drawn cells along hand-drawn backgrounds. Cutscenes and dialogue will be animated and directed by Kyoto Animation(Violet Evergarden, A Silent Voice), on 2s(see: Escape from Monkey Island, Cuphead, 90s cartoons), with fully animated lip flaps and gestures. Essentially a single cour's worth of animation.

Music:
Toby Fox & Yamada Takahiro(Love Live!) - No, I'm not kidding about Love Live!. Yamada's composed some of the best anime songs in the past years. Snow Halation, in particular is so popular that it's become a meme on the YouTube music channel SiIvaGunner. Toby Fox's music is at its best when he has a greater involvement with the overall production, meshing perfectly with what's happening in-game.

Last edited:

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
The Non-Visceral Non-Star Wars Non-Uncharted Inspired 1313 game

-Genre:
Action/Adventure
-Director: Bruce Straley
-Writer: Amy Hennig
-Artist: Erick Pangilinan
-Composer: Greg Edmonson

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
  • Gary Oldman
  • Mark Hamill
  • Mark Strong
  • John Rhys-Davies
  • Liam Cunningham
  • Gillian Anderson
  • Andy Serkis
  • Jack Huston
  • Sophie Wu
  • Ben Mendelsohn
  • Ian Duncan

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Game: Anachronox remake. Basically remake the original from the ground up and include all the content that was cut due to time/budget constraints.
Team: Eidos Montreal. Their work on Deus Ex shows that they know what to do.
Director: Tom Hall, of course. Also Hiroyuki Ito. When your RPG system is inspired by Final Fantasy, why not have the original creator at the helm? He could pretty much enhance the depth while ironing out the repetition and adding tougher, more memorable challenges.
Writing: It's not Anachronox without Tom Hall. Dialogue would mostly remain unchanged, but be re-recorded if necessary.
Art: Doesn't matter as long as they stick with enhancing the original look.
Music: Keep the original music, but just in case, get Alexander Brandon(Unreal, Deus Ex) on board.

Kaim Argonar

Dec 8, 2017
Hire good "unnamed" people to clone remake a F2P PUBG from the ground up without so much jank and only direct sale skins. No crates, no grindfest battle pass.