• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ye shall be as dogs.

• Suikoden

Votes: 301 25.7%
  • Breath of Fire

Votes: 122 10.4%
  • Chrono

Votes: 476 40.7%
  • Ogre Battle

Votes: 137 11.7%
  • Screw you, Quinton; I won’t sacrifice all hope for the others just for one revival

Votes: 93 7.9%
  • I don’t like any of these franchises but I want to vote in your poll anyway

Votes: 41 3.5%

• Total voters

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Eh, Suikoden had enough chances.

Ogre Saga never has. I want to see Matsuno complete the saga.
For real. Suikoden has five games + spin-offs. BoF 5 games. The Chrono series is perfect as is with Trigger and Cross.

Ogre Battle never had its full vision realized. And they have some of the best stories in the entire Japanese video game landscape, not to mention meticulous gameplay systems.

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
Can't pick between Ogre and Suikoden. Realistically Suikoden will never return in a satisfactory manner. Ogre has a chance to. Hmm so I guess picking Ogre and dooming Suikoden has a net benefit of making Ogre more possible while not making Suikoden any less likely...

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
No, like, Suikoden died RIGHT at the end of the series. They were building toward a final battle in Harmonia that we never got.

Chrono was not a trilogy. Cross is barely even a sequel to Trigger. They're just vaguely related games.
Ah. I see. I never got past 3. In fact I am still trying to find a copy of 5, but it has entered the stage of far too expensive and rare to find in the wild. I missed the sweet spot to get it for cheap.

You are right about Chrono series, but it needs its Glass to its Unbreakable and Split.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For real. Suikoden has five games + spin-offs. BoF 5 games. The Chrono series is perfect as is with Trigger and Cross.

Ogre Battle never had its full vision realized. And they have some of the best stories in the entire Japanese video game landscape, not to mention meticulous gameplay systems.
This is pretty convincing. Voted for Ogre.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
I mean will it be closer to Trigger or Cross?

Because I'll gladly take another Trigger. I've never played the rest of those series.

CrimsonN0

Oct 25, 2017
Ah. I see. I never got past 3. In fact I am still trying to find a copy of 5, but it has entered the stage of far too expensive and rare to find in the wild. I missed the sweet spot to get it for cheap.
Technically the story doesn't go past 3 since 4/5 take place before 1.
I think it was because the main story writer wasn't around?

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Well Chrono should never get a sequel, Breathe of Fire was ruined and Suikoden is dead so.... Wishing for another Matsuno-led Orge Battle sequel is probably the best case scenario

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
"The others will never return"?

I would sacrifice Final Fantasy on a blood-soaked altar to get one more Ogre Battle game. I would consign Dragon Quest, Shin Megami Tensei, Persona, and others to the abyss. All together. At once. Without hesitation.

Ogre Battle was the saga where Matsuno really let himself flex in a way he never did for the Ivalice games. It wouldn't need to be expensive. It wouldn't need to be voiced. God, it could look and sound like Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber and I'd be happy as a clam.

But we've only seen half of that story. We've born witness to neither the beginning nor the end. I want more of it so very, very badly, and have for...

God. Did Knights of Lodis really come out in 2001?

Have I been waiting for something I know will never happen for almost twenty years?

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I chose Chrono not only because it's my fav but also because I've been without an entry from any of those other franchises since generations so them being dead wouldn't change much except killing that tiny glimmer of hope I have for those to return.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Suikoden. A modern take would be amazing. Chrono already blew it with one of the worst sequels ever made.

Deleted member 18021

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ogre is the dream, but I'd also be ecstatic with Suikoden.

Chrono is fine as it is, and unless the band got back together, I don't really see the point.

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
Chrono. Each of those other series had a string of games and seemed to fade out over time because they were getting less popular, they got to take their shots. Cross has a turbulent place among chrono fans but it's never been called a bad game. Chrono deserves the same chance to get played out and boring over several iterations that the others got.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
A heartbreaking contest between Suikoden and Breath of Fire. These two are dear to me.

Suikoden edges out though, in the end. BUT I don't want to lose Breath of Fire either. I'm fine with all of the other gone from existence forever if that means these two existing, even for just one proper game each.

Warukyure

Banned
Feb 23, 2019
I'm quite happy with the way Chrono ended at the end of cross. It's end could be understandable. But suikoden had much more to tell in regards to the other runes, the overall plot with Holy Harmonia, Leknaat, etc.

You are right about Chrono series, but it needs its Glass to its Unbreakable and Split.

I cannot understand why they have not put 5 on PSN. The first 4 are there and always on sale.

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
I will gladly sacrifice Ogre Battle and Suikoden, and more begrudgingly sacrifice Breath of Fire in exchange for more Chrono games.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
I won't kill any of these games just for one to be revived. I'd rather cling to false hope that they will come back even if they won't.

I have fond memories of each of these franchises and I love them all equally.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Either Suikoden or Breath of Fire for me. Chrono ended on a decent enough note with Cross and I can't stand TRPGs so Ogre Battle is definitely out.

I'd probably go with Breath of Fire even if it's far and away the most vanilla of the series presented here, barring Dragon Quarter. I have too much of an attachment to the series to pick anything else. (BoFIII is a top 5 RPG for me)

Last edited:

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Chrono doesn't really need continuation. Among the others, I think the Ogre series utterly eclipses the rest overall in terms of consistent quality/highs, so that's very easily my pick.

I mean, come on. It has multiple entries ending on cliffhangers, clearly intended to be resolved. Lodis must be toppled.

Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017
Chrono does technically have a spiritual successor in Another Eden... Can't say the same for the rest.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
That's easy. I played Chrono Trigger long after it was released so it didn't have the same impact on me but i still enjoyed it a lot. BoF has a few games i liked, especially the third entry. I would sacrifice them in a heartbeat to get a new Suikoden.

Last edited:

karim

Oct 27, 2017
How does it end with Pesmerga and Yuber? Will we ever exolore Harmonia? Will we ever see Flik and Viktor again?

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
I'm quite happy with the way Chrono ended at the end of cross. It's end could be understandable. But suikoden had much more to tell in regards to the other runes, the overall plot with Holy Harmonia, Leknaat, etc.

I cannot understand why they have not put 5 on PSN. The first 4 are there and always on sale.
I am one of those snobby collectors that can't stand the oncoming inevitability of an all-digital future. I know, I know, beggars can't be choosers. I keep hoping one day a physical complete copy will pop up.