• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ye shall be as dogs.

• Suikoden

Votes: 301 25.7%
  • Breath of Fire

Votes: 122 10.4%
  • Chrono

Votes: 476 40.7%
  • Ogre Battle

Votes: 137 11.7%
  • Screw you, Quinton; I won’t sacrifice all hope for the others just for one revival

Votes: 93 7.9%
  • I don’t like any of these franchises but I want to vote in your poll anyway

Votes: 41 3.5%

• Total voters

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Feel free to assume the best from this situation — even if you'd realistically be skeptical that the modern rights holders would produce something excellent, pretend that in this magical world of your choosing the output would be flawless.
With this wording how can I choose anything other than Chrono. The original dream team game deserves a flawless dream sequel.

Oct 30, 2017
I feel like most of these exist in some capacity. Still plenty of jRPGs with similar mechanics overall. I don't need a new Ogre Battle specifically, but I wish there was more iteration on its design from other developers. Not many games like it.

Allard

Oct 25, 2017
As a a Suikoden fan, my heart says Suikoden, but my mind says everything else but it. Suikoden is dead because of Konami and their attempt to influence the IP after they "Konami'ed" the original maker of the game. Suikoden 4 and 5 were about keeping the spirit of the series while not even touching the plot line that was moving torward in the previous 3 games because of the not so amicable breakup with the original creator. Tierkis was Konami's attempt at restarting the series from scratch with the intent to destroy any need to finish that story. You want a suikoden game, but without the original creator you are going to get a disappointment and unless the IP is sold, you sure as hell aren't getting the conclusion you want to see.

Breath of Fire I could see getting a restart sometime down the line, a 'reimaging' with central character or themes, but that too isn't going to end up looking like anything fans of the series may want.

Only Chrono and Tactics Ogre I see having some hope of not disappointing, and for vastly different reasons. Chrono series has always felt like a canvas series that pulled together a list game developers at the time of creation. The team for Chrono Cross is slightly different from Chrono Trigger. Only real thing that ties it together is SE staff and the musical composer. They could do a sequel and say its being made by A list development group and would still keep the spirit of the series. Matsuno is still around and is still interested in game development just not working for a large group so he can pick and choose projects as he likes, thus I think Tactics Ogre series has the highest likelyhood of happening and hopefully it won't disappoint fans.

My vote goes for something not listed though (Bring back Skies of Arcadiea!).

Bobcats

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Out of all the options, I think I have to go with Suikoden, but Breath of Fire, assuming it will be something similar to the PS1 era titles, is so close that it might change from day to day based on what game I am most nostalgic for at that moment.

I voted Breath of Fire, and am pretty consistent in picking it, but it's not easy to choose over Suikoden. That's for sure.

GKSilKamina

Oct 25, 2017
Festering Swamp, USA
MAKE VALKYRIE PROFILE 3: HRIST, YOU COWARDS!!!

Oh, that's not on the list? I'll vote for Breath of Fire considering it's my favorite out of the listed series. Dragon Quarter gets a lot of hate but I thought it was an incredible and unique game. Regardless if Capcom tries to follow it up or go back to the franchise's roots with a classic JRPG, I'll be a happy camper. Just... no mobile games. PLEASE.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they could ever recapture the magic of Chrono Trigger so I am going with Suikoden.

I absolutely love those games and that formula is way easier to iterate on.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
I would be most interested in seeing modern Capcom return to BoF with ambition.
If you're under 30 there's pretty much nothing special about Chrono Trigger apart from Akira Toriyama, the seamless battles are kind of cool I guess.
I've never played Suikoden.
Is Ogre Battle popular? Or is Ogre Tactics included in that?

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I voted Breath of Fire because I think current Capcom has the best chance of making a high quality new game in that series.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry BoF I sacrificed you for the greater good of getting another Chrono. I feel dirty but it was worth it.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
I knew Chrono would be winning before I even came in. Hard choice, since I really like Breath of Fire too.

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017
Really disappointed that Ogre Battle is low.

Thinking of leaving Era because of this development

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Suikoden if it continues the plot from 1-3 and isn't another spinoff/prequel.
As a a Suikoden fan, my heart says Suikoden, but my mind says everything else but it. Suikoden is dead because of Konami and their attempt to influence the IP after they "Konami'ed" the original maker of the game. Suikoden 4 and 5 were about keeping the spirit of the series while not even touching the plot line that was moving torward in the previous 3 games because of the not so amicable breakup with the original creator. Tierkis was Konami's attempt at restarting the series from scratch with the intent to destroy any need to finish that story. You want a suikoden game, but without the original creator you are going to get a disappointment and unless the IP is sold, you sure as hell aren't getting the conclusion you want to see.
Yeah, while I didn't hate 4/5/Tactics, I can't say they really got me excited about the potential of the series. Without the original creator, the games didn't find their footing. 5 is the most well received and the plot developments were largely misses for me.

MAKE VALKYRIE PROFILE 3: HRIST, YOU COWARDS!!!
Now this, this I have boundless optimism for. Covenant of the Plume, despite being in on the joke that it has neither Valkyrie nor is it in Profile, had a strong sense of tone and an interesting spin on combos to knock out gems.

... I heard the insane theory that Lightning Returns is actually a reskinned Valkyrie Profile game though so maybe that was the end of it.

Developed by Tri ace
Published by Square Enix
Warrior goddess working for a god guiding souls to an afterlife
Battle commands mapped to face buttons
I don't think they could ever recapture the magic of Chrono Trigger so I am going with Suikoden.

I absolutely love those games and that formula is way easier to iterate on.
Man, I've played Tierkreis and iterating on that formula is a lot harder than it looks.

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
Suikoden has proven to be a replicable success as a template, and that template is one of the best ever conceived, so it deserves another shot.

Chrono is the perfect storm of creators/talent that will never happen again, so leave it alone and don't bother. The things people love about chrono, that make it so magical, are products of the right time right place right people, not something that can easily come together for another magical experience.

CrunchyFrog

Oct 28, 2017
Bring back Chrono series and properly remake Cross like they're doing with FFVII, give them the time to actually finish all the stuff they were planning for Disc 2.

Rad

Oct 26, 2017
Suikoden. They finally got back on track with Suikoden 5 which was basically Suikoden 2-lite and then the series died.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
We desperately need another Breath of Fire. Just do something with a similar art style to 3 or 4. A smaller project, similar to what Tokyo RPG Factory has been doing.

Better yet, just remaster or re-release 3 and IV on the Switch please.