• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Your game(s) offend dictatorships that represent a big market share. Do you apologize?

• I don't change anything, as long as no jobs are threatened by benefits loss

Votes: 134 22.3%
  • I don't change anything, no matter the consequences

Votes: 116 19.3%
  • I censor/edit the game and apologiz, I am here for business and I can't risk upsetting shareholders.

Votes: 169 28.1%
  • Not only do I leave those games intact, I make even more games like these.

Votes: 162 26.9%
  • Other

Votes: 21 3.5%

• Total voters

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
You are the CEO of a big publisher releasing a big game worldwide. However some lines in the game offend major powers that are not exactly fans of freedom.

Do you think your company has to censor/edit the game and apologize, or do you ignore threats ad face possible backfire, including being banned from such countries, and losing a market?

Do you think freedom of opinion and standing fr liberty in such case will be important, more important than any economic consequence, do you think you should edit the games if losses might cost jobs? Or do you censor because profits are a priority for a business and it is just a game after all?

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, I will not. In fact I will make more games like that one.
I would be a terrible businessperson.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Side-eyeing anyone that picks the third option. If I wanted to run a financially successful video game publishing business, I'd pick the third option without a doubt, but this is a question about morals and I couldn't in good conscience do that.

If I was the CEO of a major AAA publisher, it wouldn't be public so I'm not at the whims of dumbfuck shareholders.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Don't like it? Don't buy it.

Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke.

Also adding the caveat that, were I CEO of a game company, I'd make sure it was privately held and not answerable to shareholders who don't give a shit about the integrity of the art.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
is just the game being banned from the country or my entire Publishing catalog?

if I'm a major AAA publisher, I can probably handle a single game being banned.

ItsTheShoes

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I ain't no bitch, if the content offends you buy something else.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
Won't be the CEO for very long probably if you don't do the third option. Liable to be replaced by someone worse who won't be so otherwise progressive (if that's the goal).

EDIT: Assuming you're public.

Oct 26, 2017
I'll simply make a version dedicated to that region.

That's how a lot of developers and publishers are dealing with the chinese versions of their games, the international version is not censored but they make dedicated version for specific markets like China.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
You would never get the job in the first place if you aren't an immediate Option 3

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
As CEO of a major AAA publisher, money would probably be my number 1 priority, so I doubt I'd even allow a game like that to ship in one of my biggest (since you said powers, that's multiple nations) markets.

I would definitely apologize/change/never allow this, for sure. As CEO of a AAA publisher, not personally of course. I would ship that shit in seconds.

Spish!

Oct 27, 2017
I'd double down so hard on the content of the game that even the clones will catch a ban. Win/Win.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Reminds me of when Shin Megami Tensei: Apocalypse offended people in India by portraying their gods as evil, and SEGA was like "you hear summ?"

Not exactly AAA or a dictatorship, but I always found that controversy interesting.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Of course my company do apologize and all of your AAA companies do to because of investors, lol. Come on people. That's why I would never like to be a CEO :D

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
Like I said, I'd probably be a terrible businessman.
But I will not sell out on my values.
Sure, I understand if you're hardline like that, but I don't think it's just a bad business decision. You give up the power to do a lot of good in the world if you opt not to thread that needle of appeasing shareholders just enough to keep making otherwise good progressive moves.

deadman322

Oct 29, 2017
of course, its business and business' one goal is to make money, by any means necessary.

also the developers need that money to keep the lights on.

javiergame4

Oct 27, 2017
You need to find a balance. You always need to appease shareholders. Either that or go private like Valve.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If I'm in charge of the business and my product openly offends my primary market, shit yeah I'll change and apologize. I'm not the artist, I run the business and make decisions for the well being of the bottom line. If I don't make those calls, someone who can should replace me. I typically hate censorship and want the artist's vision respected as a consumer, but you have to put personal views aside if it threatens the well being of the people who trust you to lead them.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
I'm not sure I would apologise personally, but yeah, I would change the game, at least in this region.

I believe in freedom and this freedom is available everywhere. If a country has a law that forbids showing blood in a game, I would respect that law, or don't release the game in this country if I really think it's impossible to respect this law and the creative intention of the game at the same time.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately CEOs won't just say "kiss my ass" and will always go with option 3, unless they don't want to keep their job.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
I don't have the mindset to be a coldhearted CEO but if I did it'd become a question of balancing the reputation damage from insulting the market compared with the blowback for grovelling to a dictatorship and picking whichever number is more favourable.

Jamie

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Number 3 is obviously the right choice if you want to keep your job, just not the moral one. For me, it really depends on what they wanted us to change? If they said woman aren't seen as equal and want a male protagonist, I would tell them what to do with those views.

DirtRiver

Oct 30, 2017
Of course, I will not cow like those weaklings. Where they have faltered I will prevail. I am made out of the most pure moral material and therefore I, the CEO of a AAA company, will not bow down to those rascals.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
GTAV offends everyone, its doing OK.

Its just free marketing when some important human gets their undies in a bunch over a game.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
If someone is a CEO of a major AAA publisher they have already sold their soul for profit over everything else to become one, so this questionnaire is rather odd.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It is not just your job on the line, but you could be affecting the jobs of people in your company.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You pretty much have to be a horrible person who values money over human lives to be a CEO, so if I somehow wound up that evil I probably would.

But if I somehow wound up exactly as I am but a CEO? Hell no.