• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Your game(s) offend dictatorships that represent a big market share. Do you apologize?

• I don't change anything, as long as no jobs are threatened by benefits loss

Votes: 134 22.3%
  • I don't change anything, no matter the consequences

Votes: 116 19.3%
  • I censor/edit the game and apologiz, I am here for business and I can't risk upsetting shareholders.

Votes: 169 28.1%
  • Not only do I leave those games intact, I make even more games like these.

Votes: 162 26.9%
  • Other

Votes: 21 3.5%

• Total voters

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Yes and offer to put in pro government messages next time. Or in the upcoming paid DLC that also has a lootbox reward mechanism attached

Deleted member 274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I aplogize and promise to do better, "no more politics" I claim on the press release, then immediately greenlight a sequel in which we double down.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Is my option to censor possible for the market that is offended? It's not like editing a game to fit the mold of the market is unheard of but it also depends on if this
1) affects future endeavors
2) affects jobs
3) isn't a huge undertaking to do (change blood to green or something like MK in Japan)

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
It depends on what needs to be changed. If it's something dumb like the Xi Jinping's hatred of Winnie The Pooh then sure, I'd change it. Ultimately nothing of real value is being lost. If it's something major like a country's issues with PoC, LGTBQ community, or women then nah I'd tell them to fuck off. Some shit is definitely worth losing your job for and, as a CEO, I'd probably have a decent amount of "Fuck you" money so the decision would be pretty easy.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Context is everything but as a general rule I'd say no and keep making things like it. I'd rather fail doing what I want to do than succeed doing what someone else tells me (in creative fields)

Oct 27, 2017
The sheer amount of PR generated would offset any financial losses, especially if the dictatorship has a weak currency and the population has low buying power, which tends to be true.

I double down.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Depends on what offends them: skeletons are a problem? Tadaaa, they are zombies now!
The problem is the protagonist is a woman or a minority? Fuck you man, that shit's basic for the story.
They haye certain symbolism (swastikas, confederate flags, winnie the pooh)? Well, I'm afraid you'll just eat shit.
Probably wouldn't last as CEO

gblues

Oct 25, 2017
Tigard, OR
This question is non-sensical.

If your AAA game is targeting a market that exists under a dictatorship, you should be taking those potential offense points into account well before the game is announced, much less released in a state that offends that dictatorship. So, in other words, if you end up in this scenario you're already incompetent at your job.

In a case where the games were already released and successful in other markets and you're weighing whether or not to comply with a region's sensibilities, then it's a simple matter of the cost to comply (which includes intangibles like potential damage to brand) vs expected revenue.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I wouldn't apologize but prior to that be careful not to impose my western values over everything and everyone, I'd also be careful not to portray imperialistic or overly missionaric meanings. I'm a trained Chinese Studies scholar and being able to understand things deeply first before having a position on it yet knowing there's always some bias involved is the bread and butter of our discipline. You can and should have a stance, but an informed one. Obviously, I don't think being overly political is a good idea in games simply as there are few things dividing people more than politics. I'd never allow to have overly conservative or shitty things in my game in the first place. That all being said, unfortunately, people who become CEOs are usually not humanists. Even if they support sanctions like against Russia in some cases, they usually have no backbones and tend to avoid confrontative statements with especially with large but nationalistic markets like China. I'd absolutely expect them to buckle down for cash.

Ducarmel

Oct 25, 2017
I would say sorry if you felt offended, and see if I can cross more lines with that dictatorship.

Obviously I'm not CEO material and just doing it to start a meme.

Feb 15, 2019
I'd pick option 3 for sure. I am not gonna potentially endanger the jobs of my workers just because I'm stubborn over a shitty joke. Besides, if this supposed dictatorship has such a huge market share, the company I'm CEO of would probably already be pandering to them in the first place or else you wouldn't have that huge market share. Offending them all of a sudden makes no sense unless it's just a random ass joke.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Anyone with the moral character to stand firm would never rise to the position of CEO in the first place.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
As long as the games don't promote negative animosity towards groups based on found less mentalities (racism, sexism, jingoism, etc), then I don't change them.

Artistic expression is fine, but I would not opt to host a game, regardless of it's popularity, that celebrates marginalizing people for the sake of political grandstanding.

The amount of people in here voting for the 3rd option...

I'm not surprised at people taking the "Got rich, fuck you, got mine" mentality. It's more common here than people let on.

"Why don't we tax the rich?"
"Because I still want to be rich one day".

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This question is non-sensical.

If your AAA game is targeting a market that exists under a dictatorship, you should be taking those potential offense points into account well before the game is announced, much less released in a state that offends that dictatorship. So, in other words, if you end up in this scenario you're already incompetent at your job.

In a case where the games were already released and successful in other markets and you're weighing whether or not to comply with a region's sensibilities, then it's a simple matter of the cost to comply (which includes intangibles like potential damage to brand) vs expected revenue.

++

Militaratus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If I was Boss of a major gaming company, I wouldn't care about shareholders cause I wouldn't make the company public in the first place. If a dictator is offended by my game, I would respond with "I am sorry you are not interested in purchasing this game, perhaps you see something to buy in our back catalog. We strive to keep the artistic vision intact of our (partner) developers, and pride ourselves of not promoting/festering terrorism, and preventing our players from bankrupting themselves. More games are added every year, so check back often!".

Joeyro

Oct 28, 2017
When you become a CEO of a publicly-traded company you are obligated to sell your soul.

Deleted member 32106

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
a fun story for me. My country ban tropico 5 (not 6) for that reason and company response with a new mission about my country lol.

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not surprised at people taking the "Got rich, fuck you, got mine" mentality. It's more common here than people let on.

You don't become a CEO of a large gaming company without being a person who would immediately go for option 3.

If, by some dark miracle, you are not such a person, you will be immediately replaced with somebody who is the second your principles harm the bottom line.

ploonkey

Oct 25, 2017
Side-eyeing anyone that picks the third option. If I wanted to run a financially successful video game publishing business, I'd pick the third option without a doubt, but this is a question about morals and I couldn't in good conscience do that.

If I was the CEO of a major AAA publisher, it wouldn't be public so I'm not at the whims of dumbfuck shareholders.

How does a video game publisher become a major AAA publisher on only private investments?

Amakuni

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd censor only the version of the game released in that region. And only if I was given the ultimatum that they would ban it otherwise.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
"I'm sorry, that's a feature not a bug."

giphy.gif

Gedi

Oct 29, 2017

Well the assumption by most of those, myself included is that it is a publicly listed company; if the question was phrased otherwise I'm sure the answers would be skewed differently too; mine would. If it was my company and I would be the one taking the financial hit, then I'd refuse to change the game, expect it to be banned and likely not release titles in that territory again.

Jan 21, 2019
Probably C, thinking that there are gamers in that region that want the game, I would not to rob those people of the possibility to play it.

Log!

Oct 27, 2017
Why would I even take the job if I have to kowtow to a dictatorship to keep it?

Nov 28, 2017
Sweden
Given what happened with Devotion, it doesn't seem as if censoring the game and apologizing is even going to help, so why not double down at that point?

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
If I'm a CEO of an AAA publisher I'm already a multi millionaire. I do whatever the fuck I want.