texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
So yeah, it's totally expected.

If you're not too fond of the idea of level-gating or just want to rush the main story, this might be your solution.

VIdRc3k.jpg

Update:
XP Boost is not the only thing they're offering in the store. You can also buy crafting/upgrade materials.
What does this imply?
The ship and gear upgrade costs are significant sinks. I'm 30+ hours in and have done every main and side mission in every level appropriate region (though not always flipping the region in battles) and I'm barely break-even with keeping my gear one level below, upgrading my favorite rares and legendaries along the way and trying to bump the ship up whenever the story really wants me back on the high seas.

If I was bee-lining things I'd be in trouble.

I wouldn't say the MTX are intrusive or in your face, but the upgrade costs themselves can be.
Yeah, this has always been the case since Origins. Upgrades are way too costly. By naturally playing the game, I could barely upgrade my gears once every 2-3 levels or so. If you want your gear always up to date, hunting the materials is required and it's a huge chore as you'll need to do it so often.
I believe our fellow member oni-link has covered it better in this thread. Judging from my experience in AC Origins and Odyssey so far, I'll have to agree with him.

Do people honestly think a games monetisation model doesn't affect its overall design?

So, cheat away, I guess?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
PC gaming ftw.

There is absolutely no mortal dilemma or problem at all with using PC Game Trainers on Single Player games.

This is how I'll deal with the micro-transactions of DMCV next year, simple as that.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That moment where in-game cheats become stealing. Industry is in such a weird state. I get the whole thing of how MTs aren't affecting the game that much, but I really can't get behind it. I can live with DLC and expansions, but selling XP is just...wrong, man.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wish they could offer just the boost instead of being infinite xp or nothing

No problems about the morals here....in the end it's about player's choice,isn't it?

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
PC gaming: For those times when you just don't want to deal with their bullshit.

PC gaming: Actual Player Choice.

PC gaming: Fuck Right Off.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
This happens when the user controls the software. When the software controls the user, this does not happen.

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
PC gaming: For those times when you just don't want to deal with publisher's/developer's bullshit.*

*As long as it's not on the windows store.

If it's piracy, I'm gonna pirate the hell out of this. Maybe later if I found the game too much of a slog.

Oh believe me, there will be some people here who have been defending the XP booster packs to hell and back, they will be upset upon reading this.

And that's exactly what people are doing.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Given choice, PC version is usually superior by default (unless really bad port) because of shit like this. PC enables easy modding and cheating, convenient in other times, practically life-saving for times like this. Something that consoles barely have access to.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
But in the other hand, what do you think about the morals in this?
Wait, what morals?

Haven't you heard, they don't actually want you to buy the boosters and shit.

They're just there to provide player choice. They just wanted to give players a way to save time.

I'm sure Ubisoft is thoroughly delighted that players have been provided with another choice to save time.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
But seriously, isn't this pirating?

:)
LOL!

I know this is a joke, but the fact that time and time again there have been people that defend these practices is disheartening to say the least. The fact that a lot of people will take things at face value and just abide in a binary fashion is really sad/disappointing.

So many times people have just rolled over on these issues. Or, do not realize these are things that are objectively hurting the integrity of the game and the industry at large. Just because it continues to be the "standard" does not mean that it should be the "standard."

Developers like money just as much as publishers. Let's stop the narrative of greedy businessmen shoving microtransaction down the innocent programmers' throat.
Is it a narrative if it has been proven time and time again to be a publisher-backed idea. If not the publisher specifically, but a higher management role. I have yet to see any code-writing developer be one to push for this sort of monetization, let alone a programmer or designer in the ranks being the one to push upper-level positions to make these decisions.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
So many times people have just rolled over on these issues. Or, do not realize these are things that are objectively hurting the integrity of the game and the industry at large. Just because it continues to be the "standard" does not mean that it should be the "standard."
AC has had "time saver" MTs for half a decade and never once have they affected the actual balancing of the game. The hysterics over Odyssey are hilarious.

Deleted member 11421

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I heard about it, that's nice I guess, on PC it's free. Not sure how much it costs on PS4.

It's a one-time cost of $60, but according to their site they support over a thousand games now. It also works as a region resigner for saves, but not all games are supported.

With the strange exception of Souls games allowing cheats I don't believe they allow anything for games featuring PVP.

Also for the record, everyone saying PC is superior because of this, paid trainers exist and sometimes they're the only option out there (lol)

koutoru

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, especially since a lot of the information for this stuff is stored on the local save file, getting access to it and changing the values via Cheat Engine-like software was only a matter of time on PC.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Trainers are among my favorite unappreciated aspects of PC Gaming. Alongside 3D Vision.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
AC has had "time saver" MTs for half a decade and never once have they affected the actual balancing of the game. The hysterics over Odyssey are hilarious.
Just because they are there or have been there for an extended period of time doesn't mean they need to be there. These sort of MT's are predatory/exploitative - ESPECIALLY in a full-priced game. They make sense - err, can be justified - in games that aren't $60.

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
Why would you STEAL money from Ubisoft, do you want their employees to crunch for 100 hours a week you heartless bastard? That trainer will cost the company a BILLION dollars!
/s

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Game prices will go up next year because if this.
Game prices will go up next year regardless. That increase is "long overdue."

It will continue to be a decision of customers of "Do I want to play full price on launch day" or "I can wait until it drops into a price range I'm comfortable with."

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
LOL!

I know this is a joke, but the fact that time and time again there have been people that defend these practices is disheartening to say the least. The fact that a lot of people will take things at face value and just abide in a binary fashion is really sad/disappointing.

Is it a narrative if it has been proven time and time again to be a publisher-backed idea. If not the publisher specifically, but a higher management role. I have yet to see any code-writing developer be one to push for this sort of monetization, let alone a programmer or designer in the ranks being the one to push upper-level positions to make these decisions.

So you resort to cheats. Okay. I mean it's become more like an RPG thus making it grindy. So what if there's MT? It's optional and does not hinder anyone's progress in the game.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I cheated the shit out of Shadow of War. Manually with Cheat Engine. I don't trust those trainers, you never know what they bring with them.
Or I'm just paranoid.

I also remember allowing several of the previous games to run for hours on PS3, without actually playing, to get money.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Just because they are there or have been there for an extended period of time doesn't mean they need to be there. These sort of MT's are predatory/exploitative - ESPECIALLY in a full-priced game. They make sense - err, can be justified - in games that aren't $60.
The most predatory MTs of our time. Look at all this pressure that the game puts on the player to buy MTs.
qJ8jp3r.png

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I cheated the shit out of Shadow of War. Manually with Cheat Engine. I don't trust those trainers, you never know what they bring with them.
Or I'm just paranoid.
Cheat Engine forum has (or had, haven't been there in a long time) trainers on them from the same guys that built the tables and i used to used them all the time.

Just don't download them from shady ass websites.

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Or I'm just paranoid.
True. They might be riddled with malwares, but I'm just informing everyone that it's possible to do this.

There are also much safer cheat engine tables you can find out there.

The most predatory MTs of our time. Look at all this pressure that the game puts on the player to buy MTs.
qJ8jp3r.png
All right. I legit never knew that there's a button over there to open a store lol.