• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
So this is pretty big imo and it was posted in the OT and I just tried it myself, essentially this allows you to play Steam VR games either through wi-fi or USB (USB-C being the fastest connection) and after testing even wi-fi latency on my 5Ghz connection away from the router was perfectly acceptable and I was super impressed. This honestly to me improves the value of the Quest pretty significantly as you now have the Quest Store and Steam for your VR library.

Tutorial here

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Wait so this is streaming from your computer to the headset and the lag in VR which is the most sensitive medium for input lag is acceptable?! That's pretty crazy and is a game changer. No need to worry about PC games that can't run on Quest.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
I just started reading about the quest... Why isn't the whole oculus library available for this thing?

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Wait so this is streaming from your computer to the headset and the lag in VR which is the most sensitive medium for input lag is acceptable?! That's pretty crazy and is a game changer. No need to worry about PC games that can't run on Quest.
Was playing Pavlov VR upstairs and my Wi-Fi is downstairs, was playing some Wind Waker Battle Royal mode is it was perfectly fine minus some artifacts here and there but latency was never and issue. USB connection is pretty reliable though!

collige

Oct 31, 2017
How would this even work with USB-C? Are there 15-20 foot long cords you can buy?

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
What's the lag like over USB? Non-existent? I want a Quest but only if I can use it both separately with Quest games and as a PC headset as well.

MrGerbils

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would love to see some comparison videos. Like if Beat Saber PC streaming vs the native one.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Was playing Pavlov VR upstairs and my Wi-Fi is downstairs, was playing some Wind Waker Battle Royal mode is it was perfectly fine minus some artifacts here and there but latency was never and issue. USB connection is pretty reliable though!

Holy crap that's amazing. I'm still waiting for the next gen of headsets but I was worried about staying with the tethered headset cause that's the only way to play everything, well not anymore.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how well this can be optimized. The thought of getting truly wireless PC VR at that price point is nuts. Even a tethered/mobile hybrid is crazy - I thought we'd be at least a gen away from that.

I gotta start saving up for one of these things.

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So this effectively make Quest a hybrid VR solution?

Absolutely. I just tried it over USB-C, the latency is essentially imperceptible. Carmack has already said they're at least trying to implement something like this officially, and seemed to be suggesting that it's already completely functional but it's more of a business decision.

The fact that this is happening literally day two is more than promising. The functionality as it stands already is good enough, so what's to come is going to be wild. I'm looking forward to playing NMS this way in a month.

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how well this can be optimized. The thought of getting truly wireless PC VR at that price point is nuts. Even a tethered/mobile hybrid is crazy - I thought we'd be at least a gen away from that.

I gotta start saving up for one of these things.
I have a got feeling the Quest officially supports this, just not enabled yet, but even then, this solution especially if wired in is 100% acceptable.

Mar 29, 2018
All main islands from the games, minus the deungon parts, but a VR FPS and the islands are close together, was pretty fun tbh having a a P90 in a Wind Waker map lol
The fuck? A Pavlov VR custom map or what?

I just started reading about the quest... Why isn't the whole oculus library available for this thing?
It's tiny - the power of a powerful smartphone. Super restrictive memory and GPU compared to a PC you'd normally use for a Rift. Games generally need to be totally reworked for this.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's pretty huge news. I remember doing VR Ridge via my Gear VR back when that was first released and it was fairly unsuccessful. From what I'm hearing it's come a long way though. Anyone here tested it thoroughly with PCVR titles? Any issues in tracking/information with existing games/systems. What are the restrictions?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
In regards to this does it only work with non-room scale? I tried the 5 minute trial and could only get that to work.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Once the controller mapping issue is resolved I'll likely fork over the money for the unlimited.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Woah, that's awesome! Really cool that this is possible and it opens up the library in a huge way!
Is it still possible to stream out to a Chromecast while doing this?

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
If it works well, it really begs the question why Oculus didnt integrate this from the start. Maintaining a closed ecosystem? Still not up to quality standards?

I may buy this thing if there are enough good impressions. How is the button mapping? Is there stuff like controller vibration and 3d sound? How are graphics compared to a PC hmd?

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Holy crap that's amazing. I'm still waiting for the next gen of headsets but I was worried about staying with the tethered headset cause that's the only way to play everything, well not anymore.

You can buy wireless adapters for both the Vive and Oculus.

The fuck? A Pavlov VR custom map or what?

Yup it's really cool.
C769753956C4FB60138D56B3529169CB5C77D8F4

Last edited:

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Months ago AMD announced a really cool ReLive VR initiative that sounded exactly like this... but super-charged. In the initial stories they said they were targeting Go and Quest (when released). Then a couple days later, AMD announced they wouldn't be supporting Oculus devices.

It's pretty clear that Facebook doesn't want Quest connecting to PCs, so I doubt we'll ever get an official solution.

Quest is the real deal, though. It's an amazing device and I'm sure it's going to be the target of tons of cool stuff like this.

If not you should be able to run Revive and play Oculus games through Steam that way.

In the OT, plagariaze attempted this and said it was too much. Things really bogged down and became bad for him. Obviously things are subject to change, though.

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
In the OT, plagariaze attempted this and said it was too much. Things really bogged down and became bad for him. Obviously things are subject to change, though.

I literally just tested this, and yeah - it got pretty rough. Will play around with some settings though. The fact that it works at all stunned me.

unrealist

Oct 27, 2017
I believe it will get better as time goes by .. the Quest just came out a few days ago right?

I wish Oculus / FB would have a hybrid VR set instead of the Quest and S at the same time though. A quest with a mobile chip that allowed a wired connection to a gaming PC would be godsend (and doable imo).

Kompis

Oct 27, 2017
So is the processing done by the computer if you run it over USB-C? Or is it still limited by the onboard hardware?

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
If it works well, it really begs the question why Oculus didnt integrate this from the start. Maintaining a closed ecosystem? Still not up to quality standards?
If the Quest had a native way to wireless stream VR titles from a PC, when why would anyone buy a tethered Rift S?

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
WTF wwm0nkey thanks I'm down €368 for a 64GB model... until the other day I was 100% sure I would not get into the VR game until next gen HMDs. But yeah this is too cool.
I was about do drop the dough for the 128GB model too ma I looked at all the available games & apps' files sizes and they are not too bad, not a Switch-like situation (tho there you can easily expand it with an SD card)