• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So is this just kind of excitement around something thats really preliminary and has barely been tested? Or is it the real deal. I cannot get a read from this thread or other discussions I've found. Because if it's really preliminary it's exciting, but I would not recommend people going out and buying one on a whim without thorough testing.

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Just got a Quest last night and I was already pretty damn impressed but this gets me even more excited for the future of this thing.

It's such an impressive piece of tech.

It feels so good to me that I'm surprised it's only 400 bucks tbh

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
I'm excited to see streaming/tethering actually working. It's still very early (only 2 days after Quest release) so there is bound to be some kinks to go through to get everything sorted out. But I'd guess within a few months the experience will be acceptable at the least

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, this might make the quest go from "meh" to an absolute must have. Like that is absolutely crazy cool/good and may make upgrading from a WMR worth it.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
TP Cast is coming to Quest as well it seems, that will probably end up being the ideal solution.

Wow he's getting some serious stuttering, I have not had this happen even far away from my router.

I think Swever is second behind only the Tested guys. But this whole video seemed odd to me. He seemed convinced it couldn't possibly be his setup, and yet, I'm fairly sure his computer wasn't connected to the router by ethernet. So that's one huge strike against it. And he kept mentioning how USB-C wasn't an option.

I've been holding out on hooking this up (waiting for the update to fix the controller issues), but I think I'm going to bite the bullet and install it later today. Just to see what it's like on max settings with a PC connected via ethernet and the Quest connected via USB-C. Just so I can see what we're looking at under absolute best case scenario.

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
TP Cast is coming to Quest as well it seems, that will probably end up being the ideal solution.

Wow he's getting some serious stuttering, I have not had this happen even far away from my router.

Yeah, I've not had stuttering like that either - compression artifacts, sure, but not stuttering. I was surprised at how well it performed. Gonna do more tests tonight, will try do a write up later on.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
SweViver's video looks bad, but I have to think there is something wrong / unsuitable with his setup there despite his insistence otherwise.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I am not hearing or seeing anyone get THAT bad of performance.
Seeing and feeling are vastly different. Even minor stuttering/lag and inconsistencies/artifacting and such can cause sickness.

It's still phenomenal it's there though, don't get me wrong. It adds a ton of value.

OP
OP
wwm0nkey

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Do you have some links to other people showing it off?

Or was I misunderstanding what you were saying. I took your post as "I've seen other people talk about and use it, and his is by far the worst" kind of deal.
I am mostly talking about the Pavlov part near the end of the video, that's my bad for not clarifying

Eternalgamer

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Absolutely. I just tried it over USB-C, the latency is essentially imperceptible. Carmack has already said they're at least trying to implement something like this officially, and seemed to be suggesting that it's already completely functional but it's more of a business decision.

The fact that this is happening literally day two is more than promising. The functionality as it stands already is good enough, so what's to come is going to be wild. I'm looking forward to playing NMS this way in a month.

The fact that it is running two days after launch by THIRD PARTY software is amazing and very promising. it speaks great things for the reliability of a official solution if they decide to impliment it (and I don't see why they wouldn't).

Apparently the biggest downside to it right now is the software things you are using Vive wands when you boot Steam VR so the controllers trajectory don't match up neither do the buttons, but that seems like a fairly easy and minor fix.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that it is running two days after launch by THIRD PARTY software is amazing and very promising. it speaks great things for the reliability of a official solution if they decide to impliment it (and I don't see why they wouldn't).

Apparently the biggest downside to it right now is the software things you are using Vive wands when you boot Steam VR so the controllers trajectory don't match up neither do the buttons, but that seems like a fairly easy and minor fix.
It really is fantastic, and why VR in its infancy has to be more open/accessible to the community.

Eternalgamer

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
It really is fantastic, and why VR in its infancy has to be more open/accessible to the community.
The Quest actually convinced me this is the route Sony should go next gen. Have a hybrid solution with built in hardware. When played disconnected from PS5 (whether wireless or via a wire) run downgraded version of the experience, and upgraded versions when tethered. Basically PS4 / PS4 Pro model. Even if the games have to be very signficantly downgraded in terms of resolution or texture, I think the trade off of portability is huge and worthwhile. Why not give people the best of both worlds?

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

So yeah. The main issue right now is the input mappings making certain games unplayable. Image quality is passable over USB-C and good 5 GHz wifi using the beta Nvidia streaming and higher than default bit rates. It's clearly compressed. On wifi it occasionally misses key frames and leaves thing a smeary mess for a second or so. I expect there is room for improvement here, certainly were Carmack to tackle this I'm sure they could get it working with PC Oculus software nicely enough.

Getting the two boundaries and floor levels to line up takes a little fiddling about.

Definitely don't buy a Quest thinking it'll nicely double as a PC headset. Not yet anyway. If you've got one though definitely setup the software and see if it works okay for you. I didn't hesitate to spend $15 on it.

Catlateral Damage's art style compressed really nice. Rise of the Tomb Raider was compression and macro blocking all over the place.

Lag is impressively low. Even when using Revive but the tracking wobbling in Revive is a serious issue right now. It's like standing too far away from the camera using PSVR. Chronic non stop world wobble. Steam VR has no such issue with the tracking.

You will catch a weird timewarp looking thing around the edges of your view if you turn quickly but it's easy to tune out.

Ultimately this will be good for games that aren't on the Quest that aren't all about graphical fidelity. Like playing Rec Room quests could be fun (although you will need to use a seperate mic should you do that). If they get Revive going as well as steam VR titles then it'll be interesting to check out crossbuy titles. I suspect Robo Recall will look worse after all the compression than it'll look running natively, but a game that relies heavily on real-time light and shadows may look better streamed from a PC.

Its definitely added value and I hope it becomes much more viable than it currently is.

Eternalgamer

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
So yeah. The main issue right now is the input mappings making certain games unplayable. Image quality is passable over USB-C and good 5 GHz wifi using the beta Nvidia streaming and higher than default bit rates. It's clearly compressed. On wifi it occasionally misses key frames and leaves thing a smeary mess for a second or so. I expect there is room for improvement here, certainly were Carmack to tackle this I'm sure they could get it working with PC Oculus software nicely enough.

Getting the two boundaries and floor levels to line up takes a little fiddling about.

Definitely don't buy a Quest thinking it'll nicely double as a PC headset. Not yet anyway. If you've got one though definitely setup the software and see if it works okay for you. I didn't hesitate to spend $15 on it.

Catlateral Damage's art style compressed really nice. Rise of the Tomb Raider was compression and macro blocking all over the place.

Lag is impressively low. Even when using Revive but the tracking wobbling in Revive is a serious issue right now. It's like standing too far away from the camera using PSVR. Chronic non stop world wobble. Steam VR has no such issue with the tracking.

You will catch a weird timewarp looking thing around the edges of your view if you turn quickly but it's easy to tune out.

Ultimately this will be good for games that aren't on the Quest that aren't all about graphical fidelity. Like playing Rec Room quests could be fun (although you will need to use a seperate mic should you do that). If they get Revive going as well as steam VR titles then it'll be interesting to check out crossbuy titles. I suspect Robo Recall will look worse after all the compression than it'll look running natively, but a game that relies heavily on real-time light and shadows may look better streamed from a PC.

Its definitely added value and I hope it becomes much more viable than it currently is.
I think what makes it most promising is the "hard part," which is the latency issue, is pretty much already worked out. It's just minor stuff that needs to be fixed. I have little doubt in a week or two most of that controls/configuration stuff will be ironed out. The devs of the software have already noted that they are working on changing the controls so it recognizes as an Oculus rather than a Vive so that should fix the controller issues.

Btw, you can disable the Steam guardian system under advanced settings so you don't have double guardian systems popping up.

Eternalgamer

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I'll also note there are a lot of neat little indie VR one off titles that are free or very cheap on Steam. Many aren't graphically advanced or require split second reaction anyway, and they should all work well via this method.

A lot of those indie VR things are really neat experiments and some of my favorite Vr content. I'm glad Quest owners can play around with that stuff.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I think what makes it most promising is the "hard part," which is the latency issue, is pretty much already worked out. It's just minor stuff that needs to be fixed. I have little doubt in a week or two most of that controls/configuration stuff will be ironed out. The devs of the software have already noted that they are working on changing the controls so it recognizes as an Oculus rather than a Vive so that should fix the controller issues.
Given that the latency on using the official steam app on my smart TV to stream from my PC over cat 5 is more than I can stand in most cases I was very surprised at how minimal it was with this.

Btw, you can disable the Steam guardian system under advanced settings so you don't have double guardian systems popping up.
Yeah I've done that but it caused issues on some games that teleport your guardian space vs your actual character.

Eternalgamer

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Given that the latency on using the official steam app on my smart TV to stream from my PC over cat 5 is more than I can stand in most cases I was very surprised at how minimal it was with this.

Yeah I've done that but it caused issues on some games that teleport your guardian space vs your actual character.

I haven't tried it personally yet because I already have a Vive Pro and a wireless kit and I find the Vive Pro headset more comfortable. But I'll say outside of those comfort issues, the Quest is my favorite headset by far. The snappiness and ease of use is amazing on it. As you say, this is just a value add. It's already a great piece of kit, but in a few weeks it could literally be the only VR system anyone would need. And it costs literally about 1/3rd of what my Vive Pro and Wireless kit cost me.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
...ok so my desire for a quest has gone from "I really want this but its too much when I already have a rift" to pretty much a "im buying this as soon as I can"

Need to look more into this but this can be amazing.

Deleted member 388

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So companies aren't putting out a wireless VR headset for PC/ console, meanwhile you can hack facebook's $400 headset to do it. This is nuts and makes it go from a meh to an instant buy.

Am I missing something? Shouldn't this be huge?

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So companies aren't putting out a wireless VR headset for PC/ console, meanwhile you can hack facebook's $400 headset to do it. This is nuts and makes it go from a meh to an instant buy.

This should be huge, but because this doesn't have the branding of a certain game console company, so many people wouldn't care.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
This should be huge, but because this doesn't have the branding of a certain game console company, so many people wouldn't care.
It's obviously very preliminary and unstable/glitchy for many with all the variables in play. It isn't something that's consumer-ready and hence it would be wrong to promote this as a viable solution to all and a huge thing. It is not a solved problem. I doubt that will change significantly without an official 60ghz antenna dongle of some kind where the manufacturer can control and optimize end-to-end.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

All of the wireless add-ons have been using 60Ghz signals. This is absolutely preferrable from a bandwidth/latency POV. Unfortunately, 60Ghz is also expensive and requires line of sight to the antennae.

It'll be interesting just how good the TPCast Air can take the 5Ghz method (although it would have been ideal if Facebook would have just allowed Carmack to go nuts and see how far he could have pushed this method. As long as the expensive SoC is already in the HMD, it's complete madness not to exploit it. Although we all know why this wasn't allowed to happen:(

The Quest actually convinced me this is the route Sony should go next gen. Have a hybrid solution with built in hardware. When played disconnected from PS5 (whether wireless or via a wire) run downgraded version of the experience, and upgraded versions when tethered. Basically PS4 / PS4 Pro model. Even if the games have to be very signficantly downgraded in terms of resolution or texture, I think the trade off of portability is huge and worthwhile. Why not give people the best of both worlds?

Definitely feels like we've crossed a line of no return. Like everything up until this point was really just a beta version of VR. And Quest marks the first true retail version of what VR is. From this point forward, it's going to be tuff if anyone wants to play by the old rules.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does ALVR support USB-C tethering with the Quest? I see that it did with the Go/Gear (I think), but I'm not sure how to activate it if so...

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

He's glowing about ALVR over Ridge

Anyone here load both? I'm actually super impressed by the high IQ with VRidge (major controller issues aside). I'm kinda skeptical of Sweviver on this, now, because of just how bad his setup was with VRidge. I was using the Nvidia hardware encoding option with VRidge. With ALVR, he turns off HEVC. It seems crazy to think that .264 would be better than HEVC (especially with the lightweight hardware encoding ability present on the latest Nvidia cards). I wonder if it's possible he has a defective hardware encoder on his GPU. Or maybe it's because he's encoding his video stream at the same time?

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone here load both? I'm actually super impressed by the high IQ with VRidge (major controller issues aside). I'm kinda skeptical of Sweviver on this, now, because of just how bad his setup was with VRidge. I was using the Nvidia hardware encoding option with VRidge. With ALVR, he turns off HEVC. It seems crazy to think that .264 would be better than HEVC (especially with the lightweight hardware encoding ability present on the latest Nvidia cards). I wonder if it's possible he has a defective hardware encoder on his GPU. Or maybe it's because he's encoding his video stream at the same time?
Yea I can't say for sure. I'd love to have someone test it. From what I saw though the options in ALVR for bandwidth and resolution options seemed a bit more robust. If I had one I'd definitely test it out.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Yea I can't say for sure. I'd love to have someone test it. From what I saw though the options in ALVR for bandwidth and resolution options seemed a bit more robust. If I had one I'd definitely test it out.

There were a bit more options (vs advanced options), but I do wonder if there's any difference in the hardware encoding options (Nvidia specific on VRidge vs the more generically named HEVC on ALVR). At the highest resolution and 2X multisampling, I already felt like Rez looked like a Vive Pro with better optics on VRidge.

I'll test out both options when they get controls sorted out. Right now it's a lot of hassle for something that's still fundamentally broken.

I'm also beginning to wonder if TPCast Air isn't exactly this, but with a 5Ghz dongle you can plug into your computer in case your router is far away.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Going to try ALVR today, already had good results with VRidge but this sounds like it could be better.

Deleted member 14663

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the guy goes from saying things are perfect with no lag to saying things are "playable" with some lag, so yeah, it's bullshit.

Wetalo

Feb 9, 2018
If the Quest had a native way to wireless stream VR titles from a PC, when why would anyone buy a tethered Rift S?

Like, I think the Quest should have had an HDMI port and Oculus could have not bothered with the Rift S. It would make it more attractive knowing that it doubles as both a stand-alone set in addition to a pc set.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Like, I think the Quest should have had an HDMI port and Oculus could have not bothered with the Rift S. It would make it more attractive knowing that it doubles as both a stand-alone set in addition to a pc set.

A USB-C VR Link port rather than HDMI, but yes it is absurd they didn't and went for two separate devices instead

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
ALVR V4 was released today. I installed it and will play around with it a little later.

P.S. Does anyone know how to uninstall .apks? Is it the same exact process, just replace the "install" text with "uninstall"?

Wolshen

Oct 30, 2017
So i thought i purchased a portable VR console but it looks like its also a wireless PCVR capable headset.

My experience with ALVR (the new alpha version) from the OT:

Just finished trying the new ALVR version with the Quest. Wow, i didnt expect it to work so well... Image quality is really good, controllers worked well, latency was really good, no artifacts and a crisp image; just a couple seconds slow downs every 10 minutes or so. I tried Google VR and The Lab, no buttons issues so far. The archery minigame in the lab was flawless, for example, i could hit the balloons etc.

As long as you have 5GHz wifi and stay in the same room, this is not just usable, but actually good
------

Honestly, it feels like Christmas

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
ALVR V4 was released today. I installed it and will play around with it a little later.

P.S. Does anyone know how to uninstall .apks? Is it the same exact process, just replace the "install" text with "uninstall"?
./adb uninstall <app package name>

e.g. ./adb uninstall com.example.app.here

You can see the app package names in the library view.

ron.babski

Jul 27, 2019
Was anybody able to use riftcat to oculus quest via usb-c? if so how? ive tried everything and just cant get it to work. Thanks :)

Topper

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, I have a Rift S being delivered tomorrow.. should I return it for a quest? Does this make it pointless to have the rift s?