• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
What game makes use of this besides say, Borderlands? Because when I tested it 444 was enough for anything I threw at it even NGS

OP
OP

Deleted member 5148

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
What game makes use of this besides say, Borderlands? Because when I tested it 444 was enough for anything I threw at it even NGS

did you tested it on vita or pstv vita?

"select" = share right?

the instructions say to press select up to launch the menu, but I could not get it to work.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Any chance we'll ever get 720p resolution hacks out of a PSTV?

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
Stranger's Wrath already uses the system's 444MHz mode, so this mod could help there. Of course, that'll only work if the game's performance dips are cpu bound. The article in the OP doesn't mention anything about overclocking the GPU.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
Stranger's Wrath already uses the system's 444MHz mode, so this mod could help there. Of course, that'll only work if the game's performance dips are cpu bound. The article in the OP doesn't mention anything about overclocking the GPU.

GPU?

Oh yeah the GPU stays at 222

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
GPU?

Oh yeah the GPU stays at 222
Yeah exactly my point. Normally when you bump the CPU up to 444MHz, you also bump the GPU up from 167MHz to 222MHz, which is why there's such a drastic improvement in so many games. Since this mod just boosts the CPU, it's utility for improving performance in official games remains to be seen.

Seems like more of a benefit to emulation, than anything else.

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
Basically the one dude that keeps making these plugins really likes to name them things that get under folks skins. Not the first time homebrew developers have used jokes as the names for apps - FBI is the .cia installer for homebrewed 3DS', for example.

I mean, one of the early major NES emulators was called Nesticle and the desktop icon was just a set of hairy balls. So there's a history of this kind of stuff.

Deleted member 10549

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is a video of comparison between 500 and 444 MHz. TL;DR: There is basically no performance gain in Vita games, just faster loading times. Performance is improved in emulation.

Subnats

One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Ireland
Tested this out earlier in Retroarch and only really had an appreciable difference with NES emulation in Nestopia which had a few small framedrops which are fixed at 494mhz. FCEUMM already runs NES at fullspeed without an overclock so no difference here.

SNES emulation wasn't improved by much maybe a few extra frames but not enough for full speed on games that were already struggling.

GBA is similar to SNES and is better off being emulated with GPSP or TempGBA in Adrenaline.

Genesis was already good on Genesis Plus GX but Virtua Racing wasn't full speed and still isn't with the overclock. Picodrive runs it at full speed although I didn't test it without the overclock so I'm not sure if it actually needs it or not.

Gameboy/Colour is already full speed without an overclock from my experience so I didn't test it

Overall it really isn't worth installing for emulation unless you really want to use Nestopia over FCEUMM and with that name I wouldn't blame anyone for not wanting it on their Vita.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5148

Oct 25, 2017
Tested this out earlier in Retroarch and only really had an appreciable difference with NES emulation in Nestopia which had a few small framedrops which are fixed at 494mhz. FCEUMM already runs NES at fullspeed without an overclock so no difference here.

SNES emulation wasn't improved by much maybe a few extra frames but not enough for full speed on games that were already struggling.

GBA is similar to SNES and is better off being emulated with GPSP or TempGBA in Adrenaline.

Genesis was already good on Genesis Plus GX but Virtua Racing wasn't full speed and still isn't with the overclock. Picodrive runs it at full speed although I didn't test it without the overclock so I'm not sure if it actually needs it or not.

Gameboy/Colour is already full speed without an overclock from my experience so I didn't test it

Overall it really isn't worth installing for emulation unless you really want to use Nestopia over FCEUMM and with that name I wouldn't blame anyone for not wanting it on their Vita.

What about cps1, mame, cps1,2,3, neo geo? Saturn?

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Not that it's hard to set them up yourself, but I hope someone will eventually wrap up all these neat Vita overclock/resolution hack applications into one master one at some point.

Oct 27, 2017
World of Final Fantasy with better internal resolution runs at constant 30 FPS at 444 mhz with VHS. I'll give this new plugin a try.

Despite the name.

And despite Silica.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Why they don't release it officially in firmware update then? I don't think they care anymore since they don't do native AAA games for PS Vita anymore unlike the PSP when they unlocked their CPU to allow games, like GT, GOW games , Ratchet And Clank and others to run on it.

Subnats

One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Ireland
What about cps1, mame, cps1,2,3, neo geo? Saturn?
Haven't had a chance to test those yet but iirc cps1, 2, neogeo and mame 2000 were already full speed. Saturn was completely unplayable and this small overclock isn't going to help it much if at all. If you have any suggestions for games to test I'll be happy to do it.

Edit: Tested 3rd Strike and it still isn't playable. Between 40-50 fps depending on the stage and characters so I'd say cps3 is still out of the question.

Last edited: