• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which director do you keep?

• George Lucas

Votes: 54 10.1%
  • Martin Scorsese

Votes: 180 33.8%
  • Steven Spielberg

Votes: 234 43.9%
  • Brian De Palma

Votes: 11 2.1%
  • Francis Ford Coppala

Votes: 54 10.1%

• Total voters

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The 70's movie brats
depalma2.jpg

By choosing one, the other directors and their work cease to exist.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
Sorry Marty, but I'm going Coppola. Literally the best 70s output of any director. The guy made four masterpieces in seven years.

Oct 28, 2017
De Palma

Body Double, Scarface, Carrie, the Untouchables, Carlito's Way, Dressed to Kill, Blow Out, Raising Cain, Phantom of the Paradise, Mission Impossible, The Fury, etc

He is BY FAR the most interesting of the bunch.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Scorsese tbh. Only one who is still making good stuff.

Last edited:

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
Guess we're gonna keep getting these threads in lockdown lol.

Went with Spielbergo. Hard to imagine what movies today would be like without him, for better or worse.

Deleted member 18407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Spielberg's best work is supremely enjoyable even on rewatches. He may not always make gritty dramas and he's got more than a few stinkers but I'll take his best work over nearly anyone else's.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
It came down to Scorsese and Spielberg. Scorsese is the better filmmaker in my opinion but Spielberg gave my life such rich enjoyment and spectacle. Spielberg it is.

turtle553

Oct 25, 2017
Spielberg's best work is supremely enjoyable even on rewatches. He may not always make gritty dramas and he's got more than a few stinkers but I'll take his best work over nearly anyone else's.

He also has the biggest movie collection and is still doing quality work 45 years later. The others just don't have the output.

CypherSignal

Oct 25, 2017
Drop Lucas and the ripple effect is huge. Putting aside Star Wars, you lose:
  • Industrial Light & Magic, and various pioneering in CG for digital effects, characters, environments, and compositing
  • Pixar, which would fail to (at least as immediately) lead to Dreamworks and many other shops developing computer-animated films [edit: and this probably has other effects through to NeXT computing and Apple in some way due to giving Jobs a lot more walking-around money in the late 90s, but I'm not familiar enough with the history there to go so far as to say "No Pixar means no iPhone"]
  • No LucasArts -- so no Monkey Island or other titles from folks that would form Double Fine and other shops (and, obviously, every Star Wars game ever)
...and so many other things like the absence of Skywalker Sound, which is still a massive studio for sound design, mixing, and editing. Heck losing a few movies, he probably has had the biggest impact of a multitude of entertainment industries -- not just film. Of that list, he's maybe second only to Spielberg, for a variety of similar reasons.

Deleted member 18407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Drop Lucas and the ripple effect is huge. Putting aside Star Wars, you lose:
  • Industrial Light & Magic, and various pioneering in CG for digital effects, characters, environments, and compositing
  • Pixar, which would fail to (at least as immediately) lead to Dreamworks and many other shops developing computer-animated films [edit: and this probably has other effects through to NeXT computing and Apple in some way due to giving Jobs a lot more walking-around money in the late 90s, but I'm not familiar enough with the history there to go so far as to say "No Pixar means no iPhone"]
  • No LucasArts -- so no Monkey Island or other titles from folks that would form Double Fine and other shops (and, obviously, every Star Wars game ever)
...and so many other things like the absence of Skywalker Sound, which is still a massive studio for sound design, mixing, and editing. Heck losing a few movies, he probably has had the biggest impact of a multitude of entertainment industries -- not just film. Of that list, he's maybe second only to Spielberg, for a variety of similar reasons.
Does any of this happen without Spielberg and Jaws though?

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Recently decided I love Apocalypse Now. Still, I gotta take the breadth of super high quality and varied films of Spielberg over the more limited filmography of Coppola.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scorsese with Spielberg close behind. Hard to choose between those two, however, as both have made so many great films over their very long careers.

Jul 4, 2018
Have to go with Lucas, but Spielberg is a real close second. Just for reference my favourite film is Empire Strikes Back, my second is Jurassic Park.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
De Palma. Higher highs and higher lows than the rest, as far as I am concerned. And even when he makes a lackluster film it still ends up being a truly engaging watch.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
My movie habits have dwindled as I've gotten older and it'd be hard to turn down the rewatchability of Godfather Part I+II over the more prolific or nostalgic output from the others. Alls I need.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Hard to not vote Coppola because of The Godfather. As much as I have enjoyed Spielberg, De Palma and Scorsese, no Godfather is a no go. Scorsese is second though. I'm easy without Star Wars - never hooked me in any way.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Scorsese. For the sheer length and breadth of his work and because he is still active and still making great movies.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Personally it's a really tough pick between Scorsese and Spielberg, even though De Palma and Coppola have put out awesome flicks too (but just... less in terms of overall numbers).

I flipped a coin and it came out Spielberg.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Christ, what a question. Lucas is the easiest cut. De Palma has a fascinating filmography but he's lacking the amount of content and arguably the sheer masterpieces that Coppola has.

I'm torn between Spielberg and Marty. Spielberg has so much entertainment value while Marty has much better late movies.

Think I'll go Steven honestly, even though I don't like his newer work