• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Thought this was thread-worthy considering it's hidden away on the FAQ site.

I wonder if this is a related stance to Ubisoft ditching physical copies of Xbox games for their collector editions?

Screenshot_2020-08-26_at_19.58.15.png

https://support.activision.com/blac.../call-of-duty-black-ops-cold-war-editions-faq

Digital Version in talks to allow $10 upgrade per FAQ
  • Xbox One upgrade to Xbox Series X through the Microsoft Store is currently being evaluated and new information will be updated in this FAQ when available. Please see information below regarding the Xbox Series X version as part of the digital Cross-Gen Bundle.

Last edited by a moderator:

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Holy goodness - I wonder what this means for upgrade paths moving forward in this cross-gen space...

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
So the only way to get the Series X version is by buying digitally? I'm a bit confused since I thought the XBO and Series X SKUs are one and the same. Are they going to sell a separate Series X SKU like the one below?

YmcQDKD.jpg

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Well this is odd? I don't get it though unless they aren't they aren't allowing two versions of the game to exist on their marketplace.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
This is so strange... MS has been touting smart delivery but PS is getting it instead?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Do you think MS are not allowing paid upgrades? Maybe they're the sticking point in the Control situation (when 505 said it was difficult with 'certain parties' or whatever)?

Smart Delivery, free upgrade or GTFO?

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
OP title is incorrect. It says physical standard edition cannot be upgraded, but there is a separate cross-gen physical edition for Xbox Series X that works on Xbox One and XSX. Fair that this mistake happened though because the artwork is the same on both versions for Xbox?

Edit: I think they just fucked up and didn't include the proper box art for the current gen standard editions.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad I'll have the option to upgrade on PlayStation if I decide to buy physical.

Cake Boss

Oct 25, 2017
I am so fucking confused with this shit already.

I thought that the Series X is backwards compatible, doesn't not automatically play Xbox 1 games?

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So the only way to get the Series X version is by buying digitally? I'm a bit confused since I thought the XBO and Series X SKUs are one and the same. Are they going to sell a separate Series X SKU like the one below?

YmcQDKD.jpg

Yo, series X is on that cover 3 times, the fuck if it doesn't actually work on series X.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
OP title is incorrect. It says physical standard edition cannot be upgraded, but there is a separate cross-gen physical edition for Xbox Series X that works on Xbox One and XSX. Fair that this mistake happened though because the artwork is the same on both versions for Xbox?
Okay cool, so they ARE planning on selling a seperate Series X version that works on XBO too. This will be the one that costs $69.99.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Do you think MS are not allowing paid upgrades? Maybe they're the sticking point in the Control situation (when 505 said it was difficult with 'certain parties' or whatever)?

Maybe this is just my imagination, but wasn't there actually a rumor a few weeks back that Microsoft is indeed not allowing paid upgrades to next-gen?

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
well this isn't complicated at all now, is it

glad my PC version will be next get ready without any fuss.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017

YmcQDKD.jpg
I am so confused by this too. So, the physical x1 disc can't be upgraded to the digital xsx version?

so buy the physical "Xbox" copy (that comes with discs for x1 & series x??), or just but the crossgen version digitally?

so confusing

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017

They allow it for digital though, so that can't be the whole answer.​

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
That seems completely at odds with Xbox's Smart Delivery philosophy (even if Activision isn't explicitly included in that). Feel like they should've found a way to work that out.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018

Bobbyleejones

Banned
Aug 25, 2019
Wait.......... this makes zero sense because didn't Microsoft started this idea that the console will download the best version?

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
fuck, cross gen was annoying as fuck last gen its going to be deamn near unbearable this gen and itll probably last twice as long

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
This is in regards to the BASE Xbox One version.

ps4-xb1-sml.jpg

Not the Next Gen Physical Standard Edition which comes with a copy for both:

ps5-xsx-sml.jpg

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I can't find info on Control not being upgradable on xbox, could you fill me in?

You're reading it wrong. It's not that it's not upgradable on Xbox specifically, it's that 505 claimed that you couldn't upgrade your existing copy for some technical reason and instead would need to buy the Ultimate Edition.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I get not wanting paid patches but is the answer...no upgrade path at all with physical?

There must be something to this. Don't wanna see another PS ad with Jim handing Herman a physical disc with $10 so he can upgrade to PS5 lol.

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
But....smart delivery? Ig it doesn't apply to discs specifically? Idk sounds too suspect. Hopefully we get some more clarification on this.
Smart Delivery my a**, I was expecting this from PS5 and instead we got the twist :0
Smart Delivery likely isn't setup for you to charge a different price for the next gen entitlement. Microsoft wants you to charge one MSRP for both versions, Activision wants to sell current gen at $60 and next gen at $70. Unless Activision takes the hit of saying they only sell the next gen version for $70 they probably can't use Smart Delivery. Whereas Sony seems to have a "upgrade" option in the store in case you bought the standard PS4 version and later on want the PS5 one without paying for the full game at $70 again.

Status
Not open for further replies.