• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
But...why?

They are saying this on the website

VONqrvu.png

That's how I was interpreting the OP. There is only one XBOX version of the game, so there is real "this version" vs "that version", whereas with PS4 and PS5 they are two different skus.

EDIT: And I somehow got that way off apparently. this is really confusing.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Just buy the Series X disc. It will run on your One and have the Series X game on disc.
There is no L here, more a double W.
(And a lot of confusion)

VONqrvu.png
PS5 games are 100GB BRD, MS must allow XSX to ship on 50GB BRD if it's BC with the OG XB1, would that be a correct assumption here?

Kapten

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
So for clarity:

Microsoft policy is that if you are launching a game when Series X is out already, you can't make paid upgrades a thing, so you need to offer clearly on shelves what version includes Series X? In order to protect ppl who want the option to play on Series X later so they don't pick the wrong option with a hidden fee?

Not really.

For some reason the physical copy of the standard edition for Xbox is not upgradable.

The digital edition of standard for Xbox will be upgradable for a fee.
At least according to the tweets above.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
It is a difference, there will be normal Xbox One versions available which won't turn into an Series X version if you put it into that console, and therefore shouldn't even exist since the series X disc works on One.
That's what we're discussing here. There is a different version and it's the Xbox One only version, why ever it exist.

well, it should be interesting. I mean, nothing stops Activision to ship the same discs regarding its content (but with only a config tweak disabling the Xbox One version from running as an Xbox Series X version).

Aug 9, 2018
Yeah, clearly, but this is already covered here and the framing of this thread is like it's a Xbox-only issue, which has clearly caused confusion. Like I said, I don't think OP was doing it in bad faith, but it feels like only half the story since both current gen consoles will not have that option

As far as I understand it, it is an XBOX only issue for the physical disc. With the PS4 physical disc copy you can pay a $10 fee to upgrade it to a digital PS5 version which requires the PS4 disc to be loaded to play it. This upgrade path doesn't exist for the XBOX ONE physical version of the game.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
As far as I understand it, it is an XBOX only issue for the physical disc. With the PS4 physical disc copy you can pay a $10 fee to upgrade it to a digital PS5 version which requires the PS4 disc to be loaded to play it. This upgrade path doesn't exist for the XBOX ONE physical version of the game.

Yeah, you are right, I saw that tweet after I posted. So I was mistaken there

vastick

Banned
May 4, 2019
You only have to look at the top of the case to see if it says Xbox One or only Xbox to know what version you are buying, not that confusing.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
OK, I think I finally got it:

• Digital PS4 / Digital Xbox One can both be upgraded to the next gen version for $10
  • Physical Xbox One SKU can't be upgraded, and will only play on Series X via BC
  • Physical PS4 SKU can be upgraded for $10 to the next gen version.
  • Physical Series X includes the next gen version and a last gen copy
  • Physical PS5 only runs on PS5
The physical upgrade path on PS4 seems to be a thing because the PS4 lacks the UHD drive needed to read PS5 games. So in the end you can pay $70 and get both PS4 / PS5 (via upgrade path) or Xbox One / Series X (via cross-gen SKU)

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
The PS4 Physical copy is upgradable due to the fact that the upgrade is simply giving you the PS5's Digital Copy, so your PS4 disc is only acting as a key to the game, maybe MS doesn't allow that, with the publisher/developer needing to do the single SKU stuff.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
So:

PS5 Physical Version ($70): Runs on PS5; Doesn't run on PS4
PS5 Digital Version ($70): Runs on PS5; Doesn't run on PS4
PS4 Physical Version ($60): Runs on PS4; Runs on PS5 via BC (no visual/performance upgrades); Offers a paid ($10) upgrade to the native PS5 version
PS4 Digital Version ($60): Runs on PS4; Runs on PS5 via BC (no visual/performance upgrades); Offers a paid ($10) upgrade to the native PS5 version

XBSX Physical Version ($70): Runs on XBSX; Runs on XB1
XBSX Digital Version ($70): Runs on XBSX; Runs on XB1
XB1 Physical Version ($60): Runs on XB1, Runs on XBSX via BC (no visual/performance upgrades); Doesn't offer a paid ($10) upgrade
XB1 Digital Version ($60): Runs on XB1, Runs on XBSX via BC (no visual/performance upgrades); Offers a paid ($10) upgrade to the native XBSX version.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
So for clarity:

Microsoft policy is that if you are launching a game when Series X is out already, you can't make paid upgrades a thing, so you need to offer clearly on shelves what version includes Series X? In order to protect ppl who want the option to play on Series X later so they don't pick the wrong option with a hidden fee?
Yes, which happens to coincide with Activision ramping up the RRP of next-gen versions. The cost increase is accounted for there.

vegtro

Oct 25, 2017
Man, what the fuck were they thinking with the Series X covers. At least make the color black or some shit so you can differentiate between the two at a glance. Quick Photoshop edit from me. This already looks way better.

Pb8dBK2.png
Probably need to add Series S sticker too if announced.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Not really.

For some reason the physical copy of the standard edition for Xbox is not upgradable.

The digital edition of standard for Xbox will be upgradable for a fee.
At least according to the tweets above.

The tweet is wrong based on the Activision FAQ. They don't have the base Xbox One digital version upgrade option solidified yet.

• Xbox One upgrade to Xbox Series X through the Microsoft Store is currently being evaluated and new information will be updated in this FAQ when available. Please see information below regarding the Xbox Series X version as part of the digital Cross-Gen Bundle.

Probably need to add Series S sticker too if announced.

Series S is rumored to be digital only so you won't see physical game cases for it.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
it almost feels like MS is straddling this line where they are moving into a "generation-less" business model, but they still have to play by some of the old rules re: physical releases. SD in theory is supposed to alliviate all of that, as you just buy the game and it knows which version is best for your hardware, but you can't do that via physical releases and via third party games when those publishing partners don't want to play ball. I doubt this will be much of an issue beyond launch, as developers and consumers move more and more onto the new systems, but its growing pains.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
OK, I think I finally got it:

• Digital PS4 / Digital Xbox One can both be upgraded to the next gen version for $10
  • Physical Xbox One SKU can't be upgraded, and will only play on Series X via BC
  • Physical PS4 SKU can be upgraded for $10 to the next gen version.
  • Physical Series X includes the next gen version and a last gen copy
  • Physical PS5 only runs on PS5
The physical upgrade path on PS4 seems to be a thing because the PS4 lacks the UHD drive needed to read PS5 games. So in the end you can pay $70 and get both PS4 / PS5 (via upgrade path) or Xbox One / Series X (via cross-gen SKU)

Isn't the physical Xbox version for Series X and One the same lol?

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I'm confused even more because I just saw the digital version having a 10 dollar upgrade but not the physical. What is going on

Total guess - but maybe Microsoft is all in on the single sku idea for cross gen physical upgrades, and haven't set up a system for upgrading prior gen discs/skus via the store?

It's worth noting that re. digital upgrades of the standard edition, it says this:

upgrade to Xbox Series X through the Microsoft Store is currently being evaluated and new information will be updated in this FAQ when available.

So it sounds like that isn't totally concrete either.

One wonders how Control is managing a paid upgrade, however - presumably if they can do it, others could too.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
If you're a Xbox gamer then just buy the XSX disc to play on the Xbone if you're not going to buy the XSX at launch.

The Xbone only disc is not good value if you're planning on upgrading.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
"Smart Delivery" as a term/concept is going to end up biting MS in the butt.

CottonWolf

Feb 23, 2018
So:

PS5 Physical Version ($70): Runs on PS5; Doesn't run on PS4
PS5 Digital Version ($70): Runs on PS5; Doesn't run on PS4
PS4 Physical Version ($60): Runs on PS4; Runs on PS5 via BC (no visual/performance upgrades); Offers a paid ($10) upgrade to the native PS5 version
PS4 Digital Version ($60): Runs on PS4; Runs on PS5 via BC (no visual/performance upgrades); Offers a paid ($10) upgrade to the native PS5 version

XBSX Physical Version ($70): Runs on XBSX; Runs on XB1
XBSX Digital Version ($70): Runs on XBSX; Runs on XB1
XB1 Physical Version ($60): Runs on XB1, Runs on XBSX via BC (no visual/performance upgrades); Doesn't offer a paid ($10) upgrade
XB1 Digital Version ($60): Runs on XB1, Runs on XBSX via BC (no visual/performance upgrades); Offers a paid ($10) upgrade to the native XBSX version.
I think this is right, based on the tweets.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
This delivery is so Smart it is outsmarting us all lol.
Man... I get the gist of it, but for your average consumer this shit will be nuts.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Do you think MS are not allowing paid upgrades? Maybe they're the sticking point in the Control situation (when 505 said it was difficult with 'certain parties' or whatever)?

Smart Delivery, free upgrade or GTFO?
Good on Microsoft if that is the case. Paid upgrades are bullshit. Fortunately it's only a short term issue.

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
Smart Delivery would have been so much simpler Activision

tenor.gif
Well, the next gen version is using smart delivery, because the next gen disc works on Xbox One and Series X, and the digital version works on both as well. It's just the standard Xbox One disc that isn't smart delivery, because to do that with the next pricing model Activision wants to use would mean charging $70 for every Xbox version and letting Sony have a $60 PS4 w/ $10 upgrade option.

I guess maybe Black Ops is using Smart Ass Delivery.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
That seems completely at odds with Xbox's Smart Delivery philosophy (even if Activision isn't explicitly included in that). Feel like they should've found a way to work that out.

I think its the opposite. Sounds like MS was trying to strong arm publishers into providing both versions for a single price rather than charging for upgrades... and publishers are bucking that by launching multiple SKUs with no upgrade path and the "smart delivery" version costs more.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Isn't the physical Xbox version for Series X and One the same lol?
No, there's two SKUs. The Series X one is the one that has the badge on the top right corner, and they also have the order of the platforms in the banner flipped (X1-XSX for the current gen one, XSX-X1 for the next gen one)

Status
Not open for further replies.