• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rondras

Banned
Aug 28, 2018
Cause I like simulation. And in not simulator games I like to see progress being made, from the "look it's Mario jumping" to "omg, I can literally simulate life in this game". Animations, better 3D graphics, audio,etc etc it's cool to see that stuff and experience it at the same time.

Deleted member 29676

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
That is fucking awesome, where was it? I have always been fascinated by deserts and i have never been in one irl, i have been planning a desert trek for a couple of years.

We did the first six parts of the Hayduke Trail. If you have the time to go to Utah there are dozens of amazing treks you can do in the desert that all feel different and amazing in their own way.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So riding a horse through gorgeous, scenic spaces is the equivalent to taking out the trash?

whatever.gif

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
i don't enjoy being someone's errand boy, that's why i've never liked Rockstar games.
The first one i'm tolerating is RDR2.
But even tho i liked some bits here and there, eventually i'll get tired of it.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
I don't. If a game feels too much like chores I stop playing it.

Doesn't mean you have to completely eliminate everything that looks like a chore. Take Detroit: Become Human, which has some literal chores to take care of in Kara's storyline. But it never feels like an actual chore because that segment of the game doesn't overstay its welcome and it's used effectively.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I get up and chop wood and then feed the horses. Pearson can get his own shit. Once my meters are full though I'm not sure if I'll keep chopping wood. The horses get their hay though. As for real life - I enjoy doing the dishes and taking out the garbage bag (we call it 'rubbish' in the UK) is fine. Not sure what this thread is for. Just say to yourself - I do not like a thing. No need to tell us about it.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
In Animal Crossing, plucking weeds is still a chore. Not many people like it. But even when it comes to something like plucking weeds, the instananeous feedback (audio, visuals) is satisfying for the brain, I think. So most people don't perceive it as a chore.

It also lacks the biggest turn off for doing stuff. Expelling energy.

I love farming in video games but actually breaking my back over farming IRL? Not so appealing. Haha

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
A chore is only a chore if you can't realistic choose to not do it. This why hobbies are just work that you do when you feel like it.

And what if i my mother always pick up my trash and I have to have a experience to do it my self for once?

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
viscera cleanup detail still one of the best games ever

Yup yup.

VCD is an incredibly relaxing game with a legitimately novel setup to boot.

House Flipper is another popular Repetitive Motion relaxation experience.

Much like Mundane Vehicle Sims (Euro Truck Simulator, Farming Simulator) they're certainly not for everyone, but they strike a chord with the fan base and do their job well.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
This is like "confirmation bias" the thread.

OP: You're cherry picking examples, many (most? all?) of which are optional and not part of the main story. Not only that, but the examples selected are insanely small portions of games that literally lasts for hours with many different things to do.

If you want non-stop action in your games, which seems to be what you're indicating, there are tons of them out there like the original Dooms.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Kingdom Come Deliverance features, by design, one of the least enjoyable stretches I've experienced in a game in quite some time, but I still appreciated what it was trying to do. Unlike more mature mediums we're still stuck on this notion that games must be "fun" the entirety of the time.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Cause you get rewarded in a game and don't use much energy.

I mean like in GTA SA, you can literally lose or gain weight in minutes

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
i don't enjoy being someone's errand boy, that's why i've never liked Rockstar games.
The first one i'm tolerating is RDR2.
But even tho i liked some bits here and there, eventually i'll get tired of it.

Don't play Darksiders 2. You're one of the four horsemen, but are essentially an errand boy.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
Don't play Darksiders 2. You're one of the four horsemen, but are essentially an errand boy.
While i didnt liked Darksiders 1, i did liked Darksiders 2, but i did noticed the same thing youre saying, Death was an errand boy all the way through. I feel like errand boy stories are used too much on video games and they can do better than that.

Natalie M.

May 8, 2018
The GTA V mission was hilarious and totally optional. Did anyone not use a rubber band? I enjoyed the ridiculousness of it. It was novelty and silly and it's not a good example of the overall gameplay.

Natalie M.

May 8, 2018
To me? Yes.

If nothing is happening, or it is a menial task, then I am bored out of my skull. I can't stand open world games as they don't respect my time. Pointless traveling with nothing happening is death.

Huh, that's funny. One of the reasons I'm a little slow to progress in RDR2 so far (loving it so much!) Is because there is TOO MUCH happening. I can't get from A to B without a billion interesting distractions and events. Not complaining.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
I wish we could exit the trucks in American/Euro Truck Simulator at gas/petrol stations and actually refuel, not just turn the engine off and hold a key down, automating the whole task. Same for the Spintires games. These games don't mimic the real thing enough in my opinion! To be fair though, I would rather SCS continue their work on adding more world expansions than pulling people away from that to add small details that would not add a whole lot to the overall game. So they're forgiven. :)

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
You don't get your hands dirty and you can do it better every time until you turn it into an assembly line of profit for something else

Unlike irl it's just stanks

nded

Nov 14, 2017
If I could ride a horse and see majestic shit like mountains while taking out the trash I'd probably enjoy it more.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Some of us actually have other shit to do so yeah

Haven't been able to even get into rdr2 yet because of irl responsibility

"some of us have shit to do" is a non arguement. I have a job too, and other responsibilities.. .there are days when I can't play RDR 2 or any other videogame for that matter. I'm not gonna blame the game for that. Making a semi-realisitc simulation of the western era does mean the game will have a lot of horse riding. That in itself is part of the game's core gameplay and charm, it's not "pointless" or there to pad out playtime. If you think that, then the problem isn't with the game not respecting your time, but rather that the game is simply not for you.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
I wish all video game have this ''Hold X to skip to the Ending'' function, so more people can have their time respected, games like Witcher 3 are too long and too big and there's just not enough time respecting here, it's disgusting really.

We need more respect, guys, the industry needs to change, we need more games like Call of Duty campaigns, they are only 4 to 5 hours long and you are always doing something, now THAT is respect.

Let's go guys, it's about time they hear our voices. #RespectMyTime #JustWantTheEnding

Some of us actually have other shit to do so yeah

Haven't been able to even get into rdr2 yet because of irl responsibility

Then don't play video games if you are too busy? I am sure your family would say the same thing.

Last edited: