• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
"some of us have shit to do" is a non arguement. I have a job too, and other responsibilities.. .there are days when I can't play RDR 2 or any other videogame for that matter. I'm not gonna blame the game for that. Making a semi-realisitc simulation of the western era does mean the game will have a lot of horse riding. That in itself is part of the game's core gameplay and charm, it's not "pointless" or there to pad out playtime. If you think that, then the problem isn't with the game not respecting your time, but rather that the game is simply not for you.

So much this. I love the horseback riding in rdr2. I the slow pace, the animations, the various things to do. I love having to brush and feed my horse and brush and feed myself. Honestly if it didn't do that stuff I would have little interest in it. If it just did the actiony parts I'd probably get bored of it quick like I do fast paced linear games. In general that's why I love about open world games, the immersion. As well as the ability to set my own pace. I could if I want rush through all the missions. But when I want a change of pace I can go do something else. Honestly I do the missions when I want a change of pace from enjoying the open world. It's why I refuse to fast travel. If I want to fast travel in an open world then the game has lost my interest.

Now, linear games lose my interest halfway to at best three quarters through. Just cause they "respect my time"doesn't ,mean I enjoy them at all. I'd rather not waste any time on them and have more time to spend on a really good open world game.

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
"some of us have shit to do" is a non arguement. I have a job too, and other responsibilities.. .there are days when I can't play RDR 2 or any other videogame for that matter. I'm not gonna blame the game for that. Making a semi-realisitc simulation of the western era does mean the game will have a lot of horse riding. That in itself is part of the game's core gameplay and charm, it's not "pointless" or there to pad out playtime. If you think that, then the problem isn't with the game not respecting your time, but rather that the game is simply not for you.
I work 70 hours a week sometimes

I'll decide if they game is not for me thanks

Don't tell people what kind of time they do or don't have you don't know what other people's business is and probably not mine either
the game has a pause button

the system has a rest function
and I use it just haven't had time

What's your point? Trying to life coach?

AzVal

May 7, 2018
I don't.
I like my games "gamey" and as less repetitive as reasonable, if I have to do something over and over (combat) I need to find it fun. In XB2 I found combat fun, but opening crystal the complete definition of not fun, hence never completed the blades, and god that fucking Game to upgrade Poppi was also a chore.
I don't find fun in doing extremely dull repetitive tasks just for the sake of it or some virtual trophy with absolutely no real value, thats usually bloating.
Since is the obvious reference made by OT, on Rockstar Games the last GTA I finished was on DS I think, I gave up on GTA4 like 30 minutes in as just driving was a chore for me there (I dont drive in real life either TBH).
I never 100% games as they usually involve repetition of tasks. I try to never replay games either as that accentuates the repetition. One of my best gaming experiences last year was playing BOTW, One of my worst gaming experiences this year was playing BOTW Master Quest as I felt the repetition of chores plus the difficulty made it totally unfun and the game is not that "chorey" but I forced me it in order to play the DLC, which was nothing but chores until the actual dungeon.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Loving red dead 2. It's refreshing to play a game that pretty much bucks modern trends in many ways. I've climbed enough rock walls followed by a quick time event cinema for two lifetimes.

SmarmySmurf

Banned
Nov 5, 2017

Don't tell people what kind of time they do or don't have you don't know what other people's business is and probably not mine either

Hi, I'm your life coach. The game isn't for you.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Actually I wish Arthur didn't litter in RDR. I'd put the things in the bin if I could.

And suddenly, the thread actually contains an original idea.

100% agree - I adore the game but every time he throws an empty can of beans I'm like "no just put it back, there gotta be room cuz you just took it out of there!"

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
sGC4IAZ.gif

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
Putting the bins out for the rubbish truck on Sunday night is a bittersweet experience, as it's a calm moment but also signifies the end of the weekend.

Given it takes all of 2 minutes of my life I don't hate it at all.

JayC3

bork bork
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Let's stop attacking one another and get back on topic. Thanks.

Zeel

Oct 27, 2017
For me it goes like this: I don't have the time for a 4 hour shooter campaign, but I make the time for RDR2, BOTW, Witcher 3, Yakuza or Xenoblade game even if I spend 200 hours on it across 3 months while pretty much not playing anything else during that time.
4 hour shooter campaigns don't respect my time.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
If I could take out the trash by controlling a robotic avatar with a PS4 controller and get trophies for 'zero debris spilled' and enter my time on a global leaderboard, I'd probably enjoy that too

You can make anything fun by gamifying it

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington

So you don't have time to enjoy a game like this. Then it's not a game for you. Not every game has to cater to you. And it's not "not respecting your time" just cause you don't have time to play it. It's not a valid criticism of a game that you don't have time to play it. That just means you should find a different game.

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
So you don't have time to enjoy a game like this. Then it's not a game for you. Not every game has to cater to you. And it's not not respecting your time just cause you don't have time to play it. It's not a valid criticism of a game that you don't have time to play it.
Since when can someone else or myself not criticize a gamr for how long tasks take in said game?

Is this since rdr2 came out or before? Can it only be a mmo complaint?

No not at all. It's a completely valid criticism of a game and I think people are more upset at the phrase and connotation that respect and time imply rather than the criticism itself.

And of course continue to be ignorant of those of us who are in fact sometimes very busy

If I spend an hour with a game and feel the experience was slow and encumbered and each time I do that most times I don't feel that engaged with what's happening then yeah that's a valid criticism in my experience

The way you are all seeking to invalidate people's impressions of a game is kind of disappointing instead of just accepting we don't like this aspect of it and would like to engage with other parts of it

It's OK to realize some people like and don't like different things in a single game and for some reason this is a difficult concept to grasp for some

Worse is the way you're trying to shift the narrative about catering to me or similar complaints. Nowhere did I say rockstar has to serve me anything. All I said is I don't like this aspect of it

What you guys need to understand is how you're reacting to criticisms of a game you like and have had more time to play clearly. Disagreeing is fine. Telling people they can't have an opinion on the game like that? That's fucked up and you guys need to reflect on that.

Very poor attitude that unfortunately plagues many threads. Just because people have personal concerns with a movie or game or anything else doesn't necessitate these overbearing defensive responses.

It sure as hell doesn't affect how u people enjoy the game so you shouldn't have sucha big issue for someone not just me saying they have concerns with time spent on a game. Time is legitimately a big concern for many people. Dismissing it is insensitive at best.

Make a better effort to consider doing something like suggesting something constructive those people can do rather than attacking them and I'm not talking about just me.

Last edited:

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since when can someone else or myself not criticize a gamr for how long tasks take in said game?

Very poor attitude that unfortunately plagues many threads. Just because people have personal concerns with a movie or game or anything else doesn't necessitate these overbearing defensive responses.
You are allowed to complain or whatever if you don't have enough time for something but the game was designed to have a slower pace and there's nothing wrong with that. If you don't want to put up with that, it's completely valid to say to move on and play something else.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington

Is this since rdr2 came out or before? Can it only be a mmo complaint?

No not at all. It's a completely valid criticism of a game and I think people are more upset at the phrase and connotation that respect and time imply rather than the criticism itself.

And of course continue to be ignorant of those of us who are in fact sometimes very busy

If I spend an hour with a game and feel the experience was slow and encumbered and each time I do that most times I don't feel that engaged with what's happening then yeah that's a valid criticism in my experience

The way you are all seeking to invalidate people's impressions of a game is kind of disappointing instead of just accepting we don't like this aspect of it and would like to engage with other parts of it

It's OK to realize some people like and don't like different things in a single game and for some reason this is a difficult concept to grasp for some

Ok. Bolded is valid (I personally enjoy the slow stuff myself). Saying it is crappy because you don't have much time though is not a valid criticism of the game. Which was what I was responding to.

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
Ok. Bolded is valid (I personally enjoy the slow stuff myself). Saying it is crappy because you don't have much time though is not a valid criticism of the game.
I never said the game was crappy

Maybe that was inferred based on the inflammatory responses that time concern posts generated but that's not what I said

I enjoy slow stuff sometimes too but right now I just don't have that time so it's difficult to enjoy

It's just very disrespectful to people with families or time consuming jobs to dismiss time compliants in general though especially when they would like to have time to enjoy a game or something else
You are allowed to complain or whatever if you don't have enough time for something but the game was designed to have a slower pace and there's nothing wrong with that. If you don't want to put up with that, it's completely valid to say to move on and play something else.
I don't agree

It's not constructive at all to tell someone how to spend their time or to stop doing something they are interested in (and only that)

What is OK is saying hey I understand how this is difficult for you but this is what you can try

What is constructive is suggesting how they can play the game or use rest mode or other things to minimize this to accommodate their lifestyle

But unfortunately people aren't about helping first and aren't trained to be sympathetic to people in different situations but it's something I try to do if I see legit concerns and time complaints can be very legitimate for many people

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't agree

It's not constructive at all to tell someone how to spend their time or to stop doing something they are interested in (and only that)

What is OK is saying hey I understand how this is difficult for you but this is what you can try

What is constructive is suggesting how they can play the game or use rest mode or other things to minimize this to accommodate their lifestyle

But unfortunately people aren't about helping first and aren't trained to be sympathetic to people in different situations but it's something I try to do if I see legit concerns and time complaints can be very legitimate for many people
Sometimes that just how it happens, we can be sympathetic that you don't have the time but the game is slow and that's not going to change. I understand not having the time and ideally you can keep playing it a chunk at a time just there's not really anything anyone can suggest to speed it up for you.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
If the game is good, it's not designing them to make you love them, it's designing them to ground the player in something adjacent to reality.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
In real life, mundane takes are a chore
In a game, mundane tasks can place us in the shoes of the role and the character. It's an aspect of role-play

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I never said the game was crappy

Maybe that was inferred based on the inflammatory responses that time concern posts generated but that's not what I said

I enjoy slow stuff sometimes too but right now I just don't have that time so it's difficult to enjoy

It's just very disrespectful to people with families or time consuming jobs to dismiss time compliants in general though especially when they would like to have time to enjoy a game or something elseI don't agree

Man, you're taking this way too freaking seriously

If you feel like it's wasting your time, then don't play it. Simple as that. We appreciate your criticisms as a part of the discourse. no one is trying to belittle you anymore. Are you okay now?

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
Man, you're taking this way too freaking seriously

If you feel like it's wasting your time, then don't play it. Simple as that. We appreciate your criticisms as a part of the discourse. no one is trying to belittle you anymore. Are you okay now?
Thank you for coming in at the end and being incredibly reductionist very swell job. Not reading anything. Nice job. Are you okay?
Sometimes that just how it happens, we can be sympathetic that you don't have the time but the game is slow and that's not going to change. I understand not having the time and ideally you can keep playing it a chunk at a time just there's not really anything anyone can suggest to speed it up for you.
More reasonable. But yeah, I already know the game takes long to do anything almost. I did play some of it already.

People who have time complaints shouldn't be shot down. A guy basically earlier is like I'm really busy and I have a tough time playing the game. Maybe he got kids who knows. I'll defend that shit to the end anyway because I'm also busy and people who have more time all the time certainly shouldn't judge a dude's experience because they themselves have all the time in the world. It is what it is like u say.

Again I think people took way more issue simply over his choice of words (respect my time) rather than trying to actually understand why he would say that. Tha part is unfortunate at best.

Last edited:

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I don't have time to play the video game!

*Continues to argue on the internet*

kitzkozan

Oct 25, 2017
So much this. I love the horseback riding in rdr2. I the slow pace, the animations, the various things to do. I love having to brush and feed my horse and brush and feed myself. Honestly if it didn't do that stuff I would have little interest in it. If it just did the actiony parts I'd probably get bored of it quick like I do fast paced linear games. In general that's why I love about open world games, the immersion. As well as the ability to set my own pace. I could if I want rush through all the missions. But when I want a change of pace I can go do something else. Honestly I do the missions when I want a change of pace from enjoying the open world. It's why I refuse to fast travel. If I want to fast travel in an open world then the game has lost my interest.

Now, linear games lose my interest halfway to at best three quarters through. Just cause they "respect my time"doesn't ,mean I enjoy them at all. I'd rather not waste any time on them and have more time to spend on a really good open world game.

Which is why I came to respect the vision of Rockstar even if there's always aspect of RDR or GTA that will frustrate me somewhat. ;) It's all part of the experience and I don't mind at all traveling in RDR and looking at the awesome vistas. There's compromise with every kind of game or specific genre and the overwhelming majority of open world fans accept the positive and negative. You do have open world games with very fast method of traveling like Spider-Man, but one of the key aspect is that vast landmass have to be traversed and explored and you will eventually have to "waste" time to travel while linear games focus on the moment to moment gameplay. On the other hand, it's been the case for years that a lot of people were frustrated with linear games and invisible walls when the industry adopted 3D graphics (which I noticed when I started playing mmorpg a year or two before the launch of WoW). The demand for sanbox gaming was always there so it's not all that surprising that franchise like The Elder's Scroll and the open world genre took the gaming industry by storm.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
That's what made me stop playing Stardew Valley.

It's an extremely good game, until it essentially becomes work.

The Sims removed that by basically making the game extremely easy you don't have to do a thing, so it's essentially a sandbox where you can follow your sims in their normal life if you want to, but they are so smart now they are basically independent.