• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Same thing I do with my money now: Index funds

Yeah this is what's so absurd about Dave Ramsay and people like him, it's an inefficient use of money for no real gain. It's popular among and directly feeds into weirdo extremist ideologues like the Duggars who only pay for everything in cash.
The only thing I follow from his is the snowballing thing. I don't mind a mortgage payment given the low interest. But other debts I have I need gone ASAP! And seeing the smaller accounts go away does keep the motivation up for me for the most part. Then again, those are much higher interest than the mortgage.

And even once those are gone, I think I'll focus on more retirement/college savings than accelerating mortgage payments.

Edit: As for the OP, probably just throw it into a retirement account or maybe college savings. Aggressive index fund and let it ride.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Index funds

Without hesitation

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Hard to say, but definitely not the stock market right now (even Index funds/etfs) unless I was trying to short something. Or maybe precious metals. The bubble is real.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I'd put about a thousand or two into something volatile like Bitcoin since that's a relative risk.

I'd put like 10,000 or so into different airline companies, especially if something semi controversial makes the news that pisses people off from Delta again.

I'd invest the bulk into solid tech companies that aren't going anywhere, such as nVidia, Microsoft, AMD, Intel and Sony (though I'd likely wait a bit before investing in Intel, their stock has a bit to go before bottoming out, I feel.)

Probably put a couple thousand into Ford or something as well, since they're likely gonna be seeing good success with their EVs

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Does getting landscaping done count as an investment in my house?

If not I'll just dump it all in an ETF.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
Same thing I do with my money now: Index funds

Yeah this is what's so absurd about Dave Ramsay and people like him, it's an inefficient use of money for no real gain. It's popular among and directly feeds into weirdo extremist ideologues like the Duggars who only pay for everything in cash.

Number wise, paying mortgage faster doesn't make sense at relatively low rate but it changes how you live your life. With mortgage gone, I'm willing to walk out of my job if I'm fed up with it or explore other types of jobs that may pay lower but give me more enjoyment or be able to take more risks and start something new. It's very liberating when your monthly expenses is cut so much.

As far as why Dave Ramsey sticks to this probably has more to do with the people who need his advice generally are not good with money to begin with. So instead of having liquid money that one could be enticed to spend on stupid things it wouldn't be the worst thing to pay off mortgage instead.

Last edited:

Darth Karja

Oct 25, 2017
Either buy a large piece of forested land, or buy stock in Main Street Capital, and make about $250 a month in dividends. Not a ton, but it will earn me enough to do a couple projects around the house every year.

Actually, I'd buy a trailer and commercial lawnmower, and buy the customers off my friend who is downsizing his business. I've seen how much you can make with a landscaping business. My friend makes an insane amount to sit in his lawnmower all day while paying someone to do the weed whacking for him. Makes in a day more then I make a week.

Last edited:

Chaos-Theory

Dec 6, 2018
It depends on your situation though.

My mortgage was paid off years ago and I dumped everything into stocks. Since I'm also a 100% permanent and total disabled veteran, I have passive income for life ($36k per year) and pay no property taxes.

This allowed me to retire at 37.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
I'd put it toward my mortgage. This would take what I owe on the place down to 90K.
Depending on your mortgage rate, that's a <~3% return on your investment. Maybe good psychologically, but very underwhelming as far as investments go. You would benefit far more from investing that in the stock market.

Mulligan

Oct 29, 2017
Invest in the local food bank and houseless shelters. That's the best investment one can make in their community right now.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
171opcwl7s441.jpg

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I already use betterment and have had ok results there, so likely most of not all is going into tgat

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
Use as much of my own money as I can to hire a financial advisor. I don't know much about investing, just enough to manage my 401k, my RSUs, and my other stock purchase plan.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
A house. Mostly to knock out two birds with one stone. I guess something with the stock market like an index fund or something. I would do much more research if I had the money to invest.

TKM

Oct 28, 2017
Same as the rest of my money:

VGSAX Vanguard Total Stock Market Index
VTMGX Vanguard Developed Markets Index
VGSLX Vanguard REIT Index

Picking stocks is more trouble than it's worth, and I never want to directly invest in crypto.

padlock

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's your timeline? Would you need access to the money in the next few years? If so, I'd probably put 60% in an equity based etf and 40% in fixed income (either GIC ladder or bond etf). If not, I'd probably put most of it in equities. Either way, don't try to time the market.

x3sphere

Oct 27, 2017
Ethereum and stake the coins (gives ~6% APY currently). I expect it will continue to appreciate over the next 4 years, and beat any traditional investments. Of course it'll probably be a lot more volatile too.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Use it as a down payment on a rental property or use it to renovate my basements into fully finished apartments.

either way it's going into real estate.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
You hoping to win California's vaccine lottery prize?

I'd probably put it towards a down payment, or stocks with high dividends.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
We are actually in this situation....

Seems like an ETF is the safe boring way to go.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Was thinking maybe paying down my mortgage but I think I would much rather invest in S&P ETF or some other long term investment fund.

My mortgage payment isn't really changing, so why toss $50k at it when that same $50k can gain value over the next 30 years? If for some reason something happens down the road I would much rather have the money available to me.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Rental property outside of the US. You can buy property in Japan for dirt cheap and I'd buy one or two and use the rest to fix it up and turn it into Airbnb or rental property and make passive income off of it until I am old enough to retire and can move into the property as a summer home.