• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jpop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
6BaeamX.png

mKep7vA.png

jiWa8rI.png

Bookstore manager Joe Goldberg (Penn Badgley) meets graduate student and aspiring writer Guinevere Beck (Elizabeth Lail) at his bookstore and falls in love at first sight. Joe becomes obsessed with Guinevere and stops at nothing in getting rid of the obstacles that keep her from loving him. Season 1 of "You" also stars Shay Mitchell as Peach Salinger, Lou Taylor Pucci as Benji, Luca Padovan as Paco, Victoria Cartagena as Claudia, Daniel Cosgrove as Ron, Zach Cherry as Ethan, and John Stamos as Dr. Nicky.

I've watched the first episode and I have to say it is quite good so far.

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
Gossip Girl meets Dexter is the closest comparison I could come up with while watching. It's good, trashy fun. Definitely recommended.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
This show is so good in the creepiest way possible. It really makes me wonder how many people are really like this.

OP
OP
Jpop

Jpop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gossip Girl meets Dexter is the closest comparison I could come up with while watching. It's good, trashy fun. Definitely recommended.

It really is!
This show is so good in the creepiest way possible. It really makes me wonder how many people are really like this.

Please be normal ERA
makes me sick to my stomach to see how my boy Dan Humphrey turned out.

Let's be honest this is how he was always going to turn out.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
Where does the fall on the trash but good scale? Revenge/Gotham level, or something not as good?
I like it significantly better than I liked Revenge. It's basically Mr. Robot mixed with Dexter and American Psycho. It's oddly entertaining even if most of the characters are unlikeable to me.

OP
OP
Jpop

Jpop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like it significantly better than I liked Revenge. It's basically Mr. Robot mixed with Dexter and American Psycho. It's oddly entertaining even if most of the characters are unlikeable to me.

I'm actually pretending this is a sequel to Gossip Girl, and everything makes sense.

Dan has always been an unlikable creep.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoyed the show, first one I binge watched in months. Definitely give it a go if you're even remotely interested.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So this show is good? I wanted to watch it but I've been holding. It's got my boy Dan Humphrey on it.

OP
OP
Jpop

Jpop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So this show is good? I wanted to watch it but I've been holding. It's got my boy Dan Humphrey on it.

Because it is Dan Humphrey, he just changed his name after Gossip Girl and became true to himself.

Yeah, it's pretty good.

Netflix has already renewed it for a second season too.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
I'm having a really hard time watching this, even though I love it. It's just so creepy, vile, and reminiscent of things I've gone through. I have to keep taking breaks just to get back to a baseline emotionally.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'm watching this, near end of E2 and I don't know if I wanna watch it lol. Like it's not bad at all, but man that creepiness factor, makes you feel a little bit uneasy. Production values and acting seem solid tho.

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I started watching this with my gf and expected hate it. It's actu pretty good so far though. On episode 3.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
This show is the best kind of trash. Just finished episode 2.

The Benji Tweets Joe writes are so on point.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jpop

Jpop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Okay, I finished it. Damn, that ending.

Wasn't it? Can't wait for S2 - The show went by so fast.

Was not expecting his Ex to still be alive. Also the doctored got screwed and I have a feeling that poor boy is going to be badly influenced...

ryseing

Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Just finished ep.4. Beck reminds me of Revenge Emily Van Camp in a way? With how she handles herself, plus they look similar.

Really enjoyed the
perspective shift.

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK
Is it really bad of me to admit I kind of really like Joe as a protagonist?

I mean, he is a deplorable monster. But as a protagonist, I like his character. Everything he does is objectively creepy, but I'm don't feel creepy watching it (three episodes in). And I kind of find his relationship with that young lad who lives next door somewhat endearing.

I don't know. I really don't want to diminish the very real abuse that many women go through from creepy and obsessive guys. All I'm trying to say is that I'm curious to see where he goes with it in the same way I did with Light Yagami and Frank Underwood.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Its such a good trashy show haha

Is it really bad of me to admit I kind of really like Joe as a protagonist?

I mean, he is a deplorable monster. But as a protagonist, I like his character. Everything he does is objectively creepy, but I'm don't feel creepy watching it (three episodes in). And I kind of find his relationship with that young lad who lives next door somewhat endearing.

I don't know. I really don't want to diminish the very real abuse that many women go through from creepy and obsessive guys. All I'm trying to say is that I'm curious to see where he goes with it in the same way I did with Light Yagami and Frank Underwood.

according to penn you might be a monster ;)

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
This show is fucking revolting. I felt more and more like garbage with every single episode. It doesn't respect its viewers at all.
He just fucking murders everybody. Wow. Good job dan.
You didn't earn a single god damned thing but the show just keeps giving you unlimited plot armor you fucko

Last edited by a moderator:

Protein

Oct 27, 2017
This show was incredibly disturbing, but for some reason it hooks you. I can't explain it.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
This show was incredibly disturbing, but for some reason it hooks you. I can't explain it.

It's the weirdest thing it's completely vile and yet so enduring and interesting. I have 2 more episodes to finish it and I'm going to watch them on a flight tonight but I heard the finale is ridiculous so I'm excited!

criesofthepast

Crash Test Dummy
Oct 25, 2017
You guys shouldn't skip this one. Just finished it. Watch a lot of shows while at work to pass the time that i probably wouldn't have the pacience to watch at home and it was honestly pretty good.

Won't win any awards or anything but was good mindless fun.

And yeah joe is 100% dennis reynolds lol

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This show is strange, I binge watched it (I don't binge watch anything) and yet I hate myself for doing it.

Honestly, the insane amount of plot armor that Joe gets is ridiculous. He literally does whatever he wants whenever he wants and never gets caught. When he finally does get caught it wasn't even because of anything he did. He was just able to mosey on around everywhere he goes while everyone is blind to it. I just don't buy it.

The first 5 episodes were genuinely good to great. Midway through episode 6 this show just goes all the way off the rails. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed it. I just can't get over the fact that this dude murders 4 people (5 if you include Ellijah) and he somehow evades the law every time and no one even goes looking for him. Anyone with a brain could see that people he is directly involved with keep disappearing and maybe they should look into it.

I did like the twist ending though.

Pretty much this. No one on this show is worth rooting for. Literally no one.

ryseing

Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
I just finished. I think I'm out on S2.

Beck was the far more interesting character and I found myself wishing by the end that they had done more perspective shifts to her before she found the box. Doesn't help that the latter half of the season goes off the goddamn rails, as mentioned above.

I want to know what really happened to Candace, but that's something they have to address in the premiere, right? Or will they drag it out? Because I don't even know what you do for a S2 beyond that.

If anyone wants to know if yea/nay, it's probably a skip IMO because of how bad the latter half of the season is. When these sorts of shows derail, they DERAIL my God.

NightOnyx

Oct 25, 2017
I've watched the first 4 episodes and I really like it so far. I definitely get the Dexter meets Gossip Girl comparison. I also always enjoy main character narration, like again with Dexter, so I love hearing Joe narrate everything.

Rudr

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
Just finished it. Joe gave me Dennis vibes from IASIP! I think the first half was pretty damn good. Not sure if i would come back for a second season though.

Jadusable

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Glad I found this OT, finished it tonight and love reading peoples' reactions. It's very good and I get why my girlfriend wouldn't watch it without me, I can see it being super creepy for women. As a guy I found it really interesting how they try and dole out these really sympathetic moments of Joe being a nice guy, when it's very clear he's secretly a "nice guy". His inner narration is so great and adds some moments of levity to the show.

Like, you know he's this despicable incel monster but you find yourself rooting for him when he's trying to protect Paco and the initial snarky catty game of wits with Peach. I hope they retain that weird conflicted duality of the character being unpredictable for the second season but it sounds like from that tweet that the actor is pulling back on that and just making him more one dimensional - I hope not. I feel like that aspect of his character helping some people and actually being a "good" guy in certain situations gave him some great depth and made his instability feel very human.

All the characters are so weird and unlikable and so many times you wonder if that show is going to go there and be THAT weird.

The first four or five episodes are really, REALLY phenomenal. There were some really clever bits that got audible reactions from both of us watching. The Karen subplot unfortunately drags the whole show down but I think it still finishes strong although

(Ending spoiler)

I felt like Beck's character normally would have been smart and tactful enough to placate Joe enough to let her out, then just pretend everything goes back to normal for a day or two... then just wake up early one morning and dip out quietly to the police.

I also like the little hints throughout the series, i.e. if you pay attention to some of the narration and the current tense of it you already know Beck's fate episodes in advance, but in these kinds of series the heroine usually always makes it out so it doesn't even register.

Even with the two episode romantic subplot it was still such a great experience I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a modern day Dexter fix.

Last edited: