My PS5...

• was horizontal - stays horizontal - perfectly balanced .. as all things should be

Votes: 906 44.8%
  • was horizontal - goes vertical - prove these naysayers wrong

Votes: 23 1.1%
  • was vertical - goes horizontal - I've changed my mind for reasons

Votes: 119 5.9%
  • was vertical - stays vertical - If he dies, he dies

Votes: 797 39.4%
  • Thor: The Dark Liquid Metal

Votes: 177 8.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
Well, i don´t have space for putting it horizontally, so...

Same. It's too wide to fit in the shelves of my tv stand. Oh well. I'll roll the dice and leave it as is. Not buying a new stand.

I imagine any issues will be rare anyway.

evilalien

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
There are a lot of standing PS5s out there, this would be RRoD levels of bad if this were a problem for all consoles.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Will be getting the slim model day one. It is by far the ugliest and most awkward console I own. I understand why it's big but I don't understand why a strand is required. That seems like obvious design flaw to me and now this. Definitely my least favorite console design.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Good thing I've always had mine horizontal

It wouldn't fit under my TV otherwise

Jul 10, 2022
This is worrying, but not completely surprising. The pandemic had an ill effect on many gaming aspects and PS5 was probably finished just in time. Seeing how they still lack features they promised on release.

I've owned 7 (!) controllers since the release of the console. The production quality was all over the place. 4 were very bad quality right out of the box (rough buttons, "rusty" sticks, soft triggers), 2 got stick drift in less than 10 months (warranty) and 1 (the latest from late 2022) has been good the whole time. There's some serious production pressure I guess. I don't even play anything that would wear them out quickly. PS4 controllers were good for 5+ years.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Phew had mine horizontal anyway, would have hoped Sony would have made sure the liquid absolutely wouldn't move, seems critical and mostly shown in a vertical orientation too.
Main reason I lean to horizontal (other than series X because it seems very designed to be vertical), is because I was under the impression discs shouldn't be read vertically, not sure if that's still the case or ever really was.
I barely use discs on PS5/XSX nowadays though, though when I did for FF7 CC on PS5 recently, man is it LOUD.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
It's too big for horizontal. I've already had issues with my PS5, so I'm not surprised by this. I'm just hoping it lives long enough to get me by until the PS5 slim comes out. I'm even entertaining the idea of using a spare PS4 until then.

Creepy Woody

Nov 11, 2017
Australia
Yeah makes sense.
All the more reason to upgrade to a slim (aside from it being smaller) if it runs cooler and they only need to use normal thermal paste.

Hoodie Season

Jun 17, 2020
I'm gonna leave it vertical.
rocky-iv-dolph-lundgren.gif
This made me lol.

I have my PS5 standing vertically right next to my Series X. The black plates I got for the PS5 do make it look a little better, but the Series X still just looks soooooo much better imo. And yea, I can't put my PS5 horizontally either so I guess I'm screwed if this is true haha.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
I've never heard of this issue on any forum or online in 2 years. Can't be very widespread?

Probably because this issue takes time to manifest? I'd be VERY concerned if evidence of this was showing within 6 months or a year.

Also, I just really hope we get a new form factor soon. I don't mind how the PS5 looks but I'm still sorta priced out and I'd prefer a slim model if revisions allow, though I guess that would open up a bunch of new issues with cooling too.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
I knew having it flat was the best choice. Not because it looks like shit vertically….not at all.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Will be getting the slim model day one. It is by far the ugliest and most awkward console I own. I understand why it's big but I don't understand why a strand is required. That seems like obvious design flaw to me and now this. Definitely my least favorite console design.
KOJIMAAAAAAA!!!!!

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I will keep mine vertical, dont have space for anything else. Doesnt seem to be widespread but certainly something to be aware of.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I'll take a look at mine this weekend which I've had standing up since launch. I'll be surprised if all the liquid metal isn't where it's supposed to be though since it looked like Sony went overboard with making it secure. I have a feeling this could be just a manufacturering flaw.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Now do be careful to not accidently put it upside down as well. Do the newest models also use the liquid metal even with the new heat sink design and chips?

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
If this was truly caused by the console being stood upright there would be wide reports of system malfunctions at this point, so I doubt that's the case. Can't imagine Sony would design an upright console and miss such a obvious flaw.

Note

Ewaan

Corrupted by Vengeance
May 29, 2020
Motherwell, Scotland
Still not sure what the "something bad happens to the seal" is supposed to mean. Like what is expected to happen to the seal that makes it shift?

I'm a mechanical engineer that works in vacuum so sealing is a big part of my job. Usually when you disassemble something or the seals are "dynamic" they are replaced regularly as it's easy to damage the seals and cause leaks. For all we know (and these repair guys don't) is that when you send it back to Sony for refurbishment, they replace the liquid metal assembly - seals included - each time. When these repair shop guys put it back together, they do not and the act of pulling the seal away from it's mating surfaces could damage it. It's why I'm not convinced that the act of standing the console vertically alone is the issue here.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
Yeah makes sense.
All the more reason to upgrade to a slim (aside from it being smaller) if it runs cooler and they only need to use normal thermal paste.
If the process for this is sound and stable with few defects, it actually makes sense to continue using the liquid metal. They have already spent the r&d, might as well stick with the more efficient cooling system.

Now do be careful to not accidently put it upside down as well. Do the newest models also use the liquid metal even with the new heat sink design and chips?
They are still using liquid metal and should continue to.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
A coworker mentioned the possibility of DbLM on PS5's but I didn't it would actually be a thing. Hopefully it doesn't affect more than a handful of consoles.

Bopp

Aug 6, 2021
I'm a mechanical engineer that works in vacuum so sealing is a big part of my job. Usually when you disassemble something or the seals are "dynamic" they are replaced regularly as it's easy to damage the seals and cause leaks. For all we know (and these repair guys don't) is that when you send it back to Sony for refurbishment, they replace the liquid metal assembly - seals included - each time. When these repair shop guys put it back together, they do not and the act of pulling the seal away from it's mating surfaces could damage it. It's why I'm not convinced that the act of standing the console vertically alone is the issue here.

Can we threadmark this post?

VodkaFX

May 31, 2018
This sounds like an issue with the seal though? Rather than the orientation of the console itself. Maybe a small batch the seals have some QC issues.

Hope its not a widespread issue.

GrayFoxBH

Nov 1, 2017
The liquid metal is very well sealed. If it could spill, that would sure kill the console. If this is happening, A LOT of PS5 would be dead right now all arround the globe. I don't believe this is true. If it is, then it's very, VERY rare.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
If this was truly caused by the console being stood upright there would be wide reports of system malfunctions at this point, so I doubt that's the case.

yep... also TronicsFix has several videos on liquid metal and never mentioned the possibility of it spilling.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbX_UjhgpGU&pp=ugMICgJwdBABGAE%3D

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPvopeMbQVI&pp=ugMICgJwdBABGAE%3D

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwhwWM_PNmI

Det

Jul 30, 2020
Probably because this issue takes time to manifest? I'd be VERY concerned if evidence of this was showing within 6 months or a year.

Also, I just really hope we get a new form factor soon. I don't mind how the PS5 looks but I'm still sorta priced out and I'd prefer a slim model if revisions allow, though I guess that would open up a bunch of new issues with cooling too.

They've been trying to raise attention to it for months seemingly, so its something they've seen for a while. Mine and a few friends have had it vertical since launch with no issues along with millions of others. If it was truly widespread we should have heard much more about it is all.

And if it does take a long time to manifest, there isn't much of a sample pool to determine failure rates given this is the first time hearing about it 2+ years from launch.

I'm not denying it happens, but like with any consumer electronics product, it's the failure rate that is important to determine whether it's within 'standard' ranges vs a more widespread phenomenon.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Redesigned my entire living room set up to accommodate this monster standing up. Not changing now.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
After seeing a couple teardowns over a year ago and knowing about the liquid metal cooling that's not really surprising. Mine has always been horizontal for that reason + the standard PS5 looks better that way.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Mine has been vertical since day 1, but I will rethink the layout once I get the PSVR2 next month.

Bennibop

Oct 30, 2017
What a load of rubbish, it is sealed. A few defective units is not indicative of a design flaw, there are 30 million of them in the wild after all.

Mine has been stood up since launch, no issues what so ever.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, even the post makes it seems like the seal shifting is the root cause and honestly regardless of orientation it could lead to issues, but the seal shifting could be a result of numerous factors as you've mentioned.

I think they mean the seal around the liquid metal keeping it in place is failing somehow and it's leaking out.

Oh, yeah I get that, I just mean what exactly leads to this because even the article is super vague about it and just says "something bad".

MarcelloF

"This guy are sick"
Dec 9, 2020
What about leaving it upside down?

If we start getting a lot more reports on this, then sure, it could be true, but as of now, I'm sceptical. I think it's probably from unrelated stuff. Not a tech guy, though, so I dunno lol 🤷‍♂️

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
They've been trying to raise attention to it for months seemingly, so its something they've seen for a while. Mine and a few friends have had it vertical since launch with no issues along with millions of others. If it was truly widespread we should have heard much more about it is all.

And if it does take a long time to manifest, there isn't much of a sample pool to determine failure rates given this is the first time hearing about it 2+ years from launch.

I'm not denying it happens, but like with any consumer electronics product, it's the failure rate that is important to determine whether it's within 'standard' ranges vs a more widespread phenomenon.

Yeah, for sure. I personally don't think this is going to kill PS5s, but will probably worsen performance in the long run. Maybe it'll kill a model in extreme circumstances. Either way, I guess it couldn't hurt to be cautious and just put it horizontal. Like I say, I still can't really afford one and the idea of people not trying to maintain their hardware as well as possible as a best practice is a little weird to me.

If I owned one that had been vertical, you'd be believe I'd be finding a way to place it horizontally ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.