• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Take cover = can't see bad scary shooty men?

• You're drunk OP, go home

Votes: 244 46.6%
  • Pretty stupid idea

Votes: 125 23.9%
  • It has potential

Votes: 128 24.4%
  • Brilliant!

Votes: 27 5.2%

• Total voters

SonovaBeach

Dec 14, 2017
What is the point of having a third person point of view in a third person shooter if we only see what the first person sees?

edit : I agree that TPSs need a little boost in creativity, I'm not sure that what the player is able to see is it, though. Stuff like Control might be a better angle imho

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, if the idea is that the character shouldn't be able to see enemies because he's behind a wall and neither should I, then I shouldn't be able to see his back either :D

I understand what you're saying, but I don't think gameplay would work good if that existed. TLOU tries stuff like that, and it kinda needs of "hearing mode" to compensate.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
I get where you're coming from buuuut my head aches from just imagining such a system in motion.

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
That's why video games are so cool. They allow us to do impossible things in the real world. And I hope they stay that way.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
People only wants realism when it's convenient.

No way this would be accepted in a big budget game meant for the mainstream.

This is also the reason why AI won't improve the way people expect in next gen consoles.

Radrigal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thats like saying that in RTS games you should only be able to see as far as the unit you have selected.

Its different, but its also dumb.

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
I mean, games always have conceits. I shouldn't theoretically be able to patch-up multiple gunshot wounds with the contents of a basic first-aid kit, but I can and do in video games all the time. This is why it's called a 'game' rather than a 'sim' - there's an implied suspension of disbelief just like with most other forms of media entertainment.

People only wants realism when it's convenient.

I don't think that's true. A lot of realistic features would be counter to the central appeal of the medium and make not just for a less 'convenient' game, but one that has sacrificed its core appeal for the sake of (poorly) simulating a real-world that we already have access to. To me, the best games are the ones that rejoice in what they are.

Last edited:

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
I coulda swore this was just standard in HLDM in servers where third person was enabled. You'd still see the rest of the world fine, but if the angle of your player was such that, in first person you couldn't see them, they'd just be invisible in third.

I mean, games always have conceits. I shouldn't theoretically be able to patch-up multiple gunshot wounds with the contents of a basic first-aid kit, but I can and do in video games all the time. This is why it's called a 'game' rather than a 'sim' - there's an implied suspension of disbelief just like with most other forms of media entertainment.

OP isn't saying it should be a hard rule, just throwing it out as a potential gameplay mechanic.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Killzone 2 kind of did this.
Though it didn't completely made it so that you couldn't see the enemies.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure this occurred to at least one developer who pitched it and got immediately shut down.

We have limited control and sensory as our in-game characters, we can't react as fast as we would in real life, we also have less awareness of the surroundings than we would in real life due to not being in the moment, so stuff like this is supposed to level the field.

Also it just wouldn't be fun.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
Then some people really would learn how to cause violence in the real world OP, and the government will just further continue to hone in on the notion of games actually teaching people how to kill or something.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I mean FPS games don't usually let you see enemies through walls or give you a clear sight of them without clearly exposing yourself to gunfire or attacks, shouldn't TPS games be the same?

Imagine a Gears/Uncharted game where the depth of field that is forward and beyond cover is only stretched to about 4-5 feet and everything else is a blurry mess, it's not until popping out of cover you can see all of the enemies on the field. I can personally see some very interesting combat encounters from this design change alone; having to quickly scramble out when baddies move up because players are oblivious to their whereabouts. Keep in mind, the game would have to be designed around such feature, so like wide open spaces, smart AI and fast moving enemies.

Does the idea have potential or am I drunk? I feel third person cover shooters haven't seen much evolution since like Gears 1 and Uncharted 2. Max Payne 3 and MGS 5 had some cool stuff going on too. Still, the genre is definitely in need of some refreshment.
I like it! Reminds me of Paradroid 90 on the Amiga 500, top-down view and no enemies were shown until you went around the corners.

Deleted member 49166

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
TPS are putting yourself more in the role of a director/coach. I think that's the main reason shifting from 1st to 3rd person view.
Not seeing the surroundings and enemies just because your player takes cover is limiting the game more then putting creativity in. You could zoom in whenever being in cover, but that feels wrong to me.

Oct 27, 2017
It could work in a horror game perhaps, but even then it's not clear to me what the advantage would be over a first-person view. I can't help but imagine having a third person camera tight to the player with a narrow field of view would be the worst of all worlds.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't work for me.

Maybe give Nathan Drake a little mirror he can use to see in a room that only works 32% of the time to spot one guard.
Well obviously it wouldn't work or make sense in an fast-paced third person shooter like Uncharted

You'd have to design the entire game around the concept and it would probably have to be a tactical shooter based around using your ability to extend your vision and gain knowledge of a room and where enemies are into a strategic planning tool

So basically Rainbow Six and SWAT

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
Well obviously it wouldn't work or make sense in an fast-paced third person shooter like Uncharted

You'd have to design the entire game around the concept and it would probably have to be a tactical shooter based around using your ability to extend your vision and gain knowledge of a room and where enemies are into a strategic planning tool

So basically Rainbow Six and SWAT
The OP does say imagine Uncharted or GoW with these mechanics. I doubt people are against it in appropriate franchises.

May 15, 2018
Denmark
Instead of terrible blur (which we all hate) you could solve the problem by having the camera zoom close to your character's back when you move slowly close to a wall. Then you would have to move very close to the corner to take a peak, and then it feels more realistic.

Ploppee

Nov 28, 2018
only if we get to see this too

giphy.gif

ShinNL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
In case you have trouble imagining how it looks like, basically the character you're moving has a big ray tracing flashlight. Then it fades out into a blur instead of black darkness (peripheral vision). To compensate our environmental memory, I'd say everything else should be blurred instead of fading into a monotone color (because it's unfair to have a more difficult environmental memory when you are also moving the third person character around in 3D space). If you want to get funky, everything you 'flashed with your flashlight' is in a memory slowly fading, but new moving objects are not in memory.

CheapJi

Apr 24, 2018
the only way i see this working is just using alot of depth of field and focusing it on the character when behind cover.(which i dont really think many people would like)

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why not? Don't know till you try. Could be fun to have an ultra realistic third person sim so to speak, that zooms in real close and depth of field blurs out what you shouldn't be able to see, and has damage and destruction that's hyper realistic. That said I honestly feel what you're asking is simply better suited to first person view.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Nah I love this in these games because the convenience is far too great for me to pause and question it.

Also it's arguably part of the "power fantasy" that almost all of these games go for and it makes me feel like I got hacks lol

Quantza

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Could be fun in VR (or maybe with a bullet time feature so the player can reasonably focus attacks). Was thinking of Superhot.
Otherwise, wouldn't be fun, imo.

HeavenlyOne

The Fallen
Nov 30, 2017
Your heart
If you want to limit the player to just what the character can see, just go first person.

I wouldn't say you're drunk though, back in the days of Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Thief: Deadly Shadows, much of the original Deus Ex and Thief communities were against the inclusion of third person as they considered it a cheat.

I quite like the third-person cover system of first person games like the last two Deus Ex games, but the reverse just sounds tedious.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I wonder if would be possible to use something like a google glass with a camera drone at your back to simulate over the shoulder perspective irl. It could actually be useful in real combat lmao

If something like this existed, the user would actually have a clear sight through the walls as well.

I don't think that's true. A lot of realistic features would be counter to the central appeal of the medium and make not just for a less 'convenient' game, but one that has sacrificed its core appeal for the sake of (poorly) simulating a real-world that we already have access to. To me, the best games are the ones that rejoice in what they are.

I think you're right for most games/genres but not all of them.

Trying to reach realism is the core appeal of a lot of games. Racing simulators are the obvious examples but that's also the case with a lot of shooters.

If anything, the seek for more realism is kinda what justifies new consoles, of course with visuals being the main attraction. Beyond the graphics, next gen talk is always about enemies being smarter or the player feeling better the weight of a weapon, dunno. Of course some people want the closest a game can be from simulating reality, or atleast they think they want.

I kinda don't care about realism tbh. Was a big fan of Gran Turismo in the PS1 era but couldn't get into the third game on PS2 because it felt just too real, in a boring way.

Last edited: