• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Take cover = can't see bad scary shooty men?

• You're drunk OP, go home

Votes: 244 46.6%
  • Pretty stupid idea

Votes: 125 23.9%
  • It has potential

Votes: 128 24.4%
  • Brilliant!

Votes: 27 5.2%

• Total voters

Denamitea

Nov 1, 2017
Well, technically first person POV games aren't very realistic either. Your FOV in a video game is much more narrow than it is in real life. Third person games are actually kinda more representative of what a persons FOV actually is as you get a much wider scope of what your character can see in their peripheral vision

ShapeDePapa

Oct 25, 2017
I like the idea but I don't think DoF is a good implementation. What could be cool is when your character gets behind cover the camera should get at the height of the character shoulder so you would not be able to see over. You would have to peek and expose yourself to aim/shoot/whatever.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
To be fair to them, RTS games generally give the line of sight for all controlled units, rather than just the one that's currently selected. That'd be a pretty weird system but maybe it's been done before?

It's been done but that's more for wargames and more heavily simulation oriented stuff. Traditional RTS give you a collective LOS.

SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
I don't understand this topic, I just hid behind a wall and I could still see the people that were shooting at me? Is that not normal?

JulianV

Apr 10, 2018
I think this one did it, I played it so long ago I can't remember

515MW133GCL._SY445_.jpg

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
Having enemies basically appear out of nowhere because you are in cover would like silly and would likely be seen as a negative. However, if you want to go with this idea of restricting the camera view when in cover, the simple solution is to have the camera zoom towards the character when in cover with very limited camera movement.