• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 17, 2017
Interesting thread.
So in my neighborhood there are no sidewalks but a decent amount of traffic. I have to walk in the street and so does my dog. When cars are coming, I stay in the street and put my dog up on the curb, which means people's lawns. My dog also has no rhyme or reason to how and when he poops, he just does.
I literally take a back pack with me everytime that has his poop bags, and it is where I put them in once he does his business and then I throw them out at my house. I do everything right as far as always picking it up and taking it with me.
So what am I supposed to do with no sidewalks and hence no strip of grass? Especially if people insist on doing 50 miles per hour in 25 hour residential neighborhoods.
And yes, I have a yard. My dog poops multiple times a day and his walks are the favorite part of the day.

I get not wanting it to happen, I do, but I do not have a whole lot of options. I have a right to walk my dog.

EDIT - Adding a pic as I know a lot of people may not believe there are no sidewalks. There are no sidewalks on 80% of our walk.
http:///0Hrd.jpg
Looks like there's plenty of space there right on the side of the road along the gutter for a person and a dog to walk with enough room for a car to pass without even getting close. Are cars really speeding down the street right up on the curb like that? Just walk on the side of the road and keep your dog on a short leash so it can't go out into the middle of the road.

I don't really buy the whole "no sidewalk" excuse. If that's the case why don't you just fully walk in peoples' lawns then? Why bother walking in the street at all? After all you have no choice because you have no sidewalks.

I also will say that your dog has no rhyme or reason to when and where they poop because you've trained them that way whether or not you did it intentionally. Just like our dogs don't poop in the house after we repeatedly teach them they have to poop outside, you teach your dog it's ok to poop anywhere and everywhere by keeping a routine where you regularly allow it to do so.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You dislike dogs because they have to pee and poop like every living thing does? Do you hate deer, squirrels, birds, raccoons, mice, rats, possums, foxes etc etc too? They all poop and pee too.

Except bird poop, I can't recall stepping in a huge pile of shit of any other animal you have mentioned.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps train the dog? Go further out? Tug your dog from people's lawn? You have a right to walk your dog but others have the right for their property being safe from dog shit, which trumps your right of walking your dog by default. Your problem is not theirs, it's exclusively yours and or of the city who don't have proper dog areas.

It's not rocket science.

Not all dogs can be walked in a "dog area". My last dog had to be walked alone and away from other dogs. He was attacked by 2 dogs, a large black mutt and a German Shepard and after that he didn't really like other dogs, especially if they tried to sniff his butt. I could never take him to the dog park after that because dogs made him very nervous and I didn't want anything to happen to him or another dog so I walked him away from other dogs.

The large black mutt dog was actually going after me, early on a Sunday morning with no one around to help, I was 17 or 18. My dog protected me and ended up getting bit as the black dog was trying to get to me and I was trying to drag my dog home and get away from the black one.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How about we just have wild dogs like other countries shit all over the place? Jk.

I don't care as long as they pick it up.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm my area people who don't want dogs on there lawns usually have a sign up. I've never seen these signs before until I moved in the area.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I live in the city ....

Btw, not surprised by the general opinion of the members, people here always seem over sensitivity
(I apologize for the incoming rant lol)
City and Burbs are totally different - out here in the burbs we are expected to keep our little plots of green grass nice, sometimes by force of an HOA, and we pay an HOA, or spend our own money trying to keep a nice lawn (which I hate..but I do it), and then out of nowhere, fluffly the f'n spoodle-shitzle comes along and marks its territory 300 times.

Thats 300 dead spots, dead spots let weeds in..its hell..I hate lawns, but I also hate dog owners who don't seem to think killing off neighbors lawns is a problem. Can't kill the sidewalk.

A dog pissing on people's front lawns is functionally not different than me spraying round up randomly as a stroll through the 'hood.

And yes, I yelled at a lady who was letting her dog piss on my 3 day old brand new sodded front yard ( I mean is was OBVIOUSLY PRISTINE AND NEW - probably walked he dog by my bare dirt and watched it being put down over a couple days)...and I'll do it again. Its rude, its dirty (my kids might run around out there), its ignorant. And the number of times a dog as left a big crap on my sidewalk is high enough Im considering putting up a sign.

These people all HAVE YARDS..have YOUR dog SHIT and PISS in YOUR YARD.

(rant over - I know its a battle I cannot win)

Oct 27, 2017
Keep you dogs on leashes, and get off other people's property. Problem solved.
If people don't want your dog pooping on their land then just deal with it, it's their land, not yours.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Still astonished by the people making daft excuses for taking their dogs to shit and piss on other people's land. No, just because wild animals and birds do it, doesn't mean you can absolve yourself of responsibility for what your dog does while you have it on a lead.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
You dislike dogs because they have to pee and poop like every living thing does? Do you hate deer, squirrels, birds, raccoons, mice, rats, possums, foxes etc etc too? They all poop and pee too.

The domesticated versions of Those animals dont shit on other peoples lawn. Its been quite a while since I saw someone walking their squirrel.

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be too bothered as long as it's cleaned up.

But it's annoying how entitled some dog owners are, so I'm OK with a policy that sticks it to them.

Nov 17, 2017
I do hate when my neighbor walks their deer and lets it poop on my lawn.

Why does it matter if they are domesticated or not? Pee and poop are the same whether the animal is domesticated or not.
Well, for one, I can't exactly ask a deer not to shit on my lawn. I can ask a dog owner to though. The dog owner should know better anyway. Should we be holding human beings to the same standards as wild animals?

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
I'd honestly never heard of people being mad about dogs peeing on their lawn before this thread

I never heard of people taking their pets onto other people's land to shit and piss before this thread. There are public rights of way, and access paths for services, but short of those you're not supposed to barge into somebody's garden. And doing so for the express purpose of dumping excrement and urine is obviously beyond the pale.

Jan 15, 2019
Stories like this make the idea of living in a suburb, especially one with an HOA, sound awful. A little piece of my soul would die every time I was forced to be concerned, if not actively combative, over grass.

Nov 9, 2017
Stories like this make the idea of living in a suburb, especially one with an HOA, sound awful. A little piece of my soul would die every time I was forced to be concerned, if not actively combative, over grass.

This sounds willfully obtuse.

grass in general =/= part of someones home that they have to personally maintain and likely have paid a large sum of money for

Nov 1, 2017
I never heard of people taking their pets onto other people's land to shit and piss before this thread. There are public rights of way, and access paths for services, but short of those you're not supposed to barge into somebody's garden. And doing so for the express purpose of dumping excrement and urine is obviously beyond the pale.

Every neighborhood I've ever lived in has dozens of people walking their dogs multiple times a day. Idk what this bizarre universe you live in is where either nobody walks their dog outside their own lawn or everybody somehow has total control over their dog's bodily functions, but it's not the norm. If you don't want dogs on your lawn, the responsibility is on you to make that clear because in general it's assumed otherwise if the owners pick up after their dogs.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm just gonna sit out on your porch for a bit whenever I want, ok? There's no sign that says I can't and, don't worry, I'll move if you want to use it.

Nov 17, 2017
Every neighborhood I've ever lived in has dozens of people walking their dogs multiple times a day. Idk what this bizarre universe you live in is where either nobody walks their dog outside their own lawn or everybody somehow has total control over their dog's bodily functions, but it's not the norm. If you don't want dogs on your lawn, the responsibility is on you to make that clear because in general it's assumed otherwise if the owners pick up after their dogs.
You don't need to put up a sign saying that your lawn is your private property and people (and their dogs) shouldn't be on it. Can I walk my dog up to your doorstep and let it poop there on your doormat as long as I pick it up and you didn't put up a sign telling me not to?

I have yet to hear any compelling argument for why you can't just make sure your dog isn't on someone else's lawn. Everyone saying they can't control when and where their dog goes to the bathroom seems to be willfully ignoring the simple concept that unless your dog has the habit of chucking its shit like a monkey, it can't poop on someone's lawn if it's not physically on it.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland

I live in a very dog-friendly area. The thought of entering a neighbour's garden during a daily walk just never occurs to me. Doing so for the purpose of having my dog piss or shit on their property is so unthinkable I believe it would only occur to a psychopath.

Nov 1, 2017
I live in a very dog-friendly area. The thought of entering a neighbour's garden during a daily walk just never occurs to me. Doing so for the purpose of having my dog piss or shit on their property is so unthinkable I believe it would only occur to a psychopath.

A strip of grass next to the sidewalk =\= a garden. Maybe it's a regional thing but it's been the norm everywhere I've lived. One neighborhood even had bag dispensers along the sidewalks for the explicit purpose of picking up your dog's poop.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A strip of grass next to the sidewalk =\= a garden. Maybe it's a regional thing but it's been the norm everywhere I've lived. One neighborhood even had bag dispensers along the sidewalks for the explicit purpose of picking up your dog's poop.

That strip is where they should go. Some folks here are talking about just using people's actual yards.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland

The word "yard" was used. I think it does matter whether the land in question is private property belonging to the resident. If it is, I think it would be wrong to take a dog onto it without permission from the owner.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
I can understand. I always lead my dog to the strip next the road, but she's only 30lbs. And I always pick it up, sometimes her poop is a bit soft and It does leave traces behind, so yeh I can see how that might be annoying to some people, especially if their kids play there.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
We don't have front lawns open over here like they are in the US, usually a small fence, bush or wall blocking the front lawn and path. Saying that, if a Dog needed to shit on my driveway then I'm fine with that as long as it gets picked up. Dogs need to shit and I sometimes see owners drag their dog just a little further up the street when it's trying to shit, let them poop in peace.

Nov 1, 2017
The word "yard" was used. I think it does matter whether the land in question is private property belonging to the resident. If it is, I think it would be wrong to take a dog onto it without permission from the owner.

In my mind, the strip of grass between the sidewalk and the street still falls under use of the term "yard". It's still property that you own and are in charge of maintaining.

Oct 27, 2017
If some 100lb dog is pissing on your yard every day in a habitual spot it's gonna kill the grass. If it's not a grassy area it's gonna be disgusting with the buildup and accumulation. When it comes to dog owners there is always that one jerk that ruins it for everyone.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
In my mind, the strip of grass between the sidewalk and the street still falls under use of the term "yard". It's still property that you own and are in charge of maintaining.

Well there you are. I think it's reasonable to avoid foisting unnecessary expense, inconvenience, not to mention possible health risks onto a neighbour as a reward for owning property that happens to be near to my dog's anus.

Jan 15, 2019
This sounds willfully obtuse.

grass in general =/= part of someones home that they have to personally maintain and likely have paid a large sum of money for
Just the fact that you're surrounded by people who will yell at you if your grass gets too tall or your house isn't painted in an approved color or any of the myriad other things that suburban HOA types complain about would be insufferable to me. I remember going to HOA meetings as a kid with my mom and couldn't help but feel that the level of bureaucracy over what is mostly mundane tedium was soul deadening. For me, personally, I couldn't be happy in that environment.

Edit- or even worse, instead of talking to you about it in person they'll leave a letter stuck to your mailbox as if your own neighborhood is some corporate HR department.

Last edited:

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I'd honestly never heard of people being mad about dogs peeing on their lawn before this thread
When you own a home and you have to take care of the lawn upkeep, it's a different story. I've seen how it kills grass from having my own dog and him peeing in the yard sometimes instead of the woods. It turns the whole spot bad, you need to dig up the spot and reseed and water it, it's a pain in the ass.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
I agree with you OP. That said I never walk my dog within my neighborhood. I take them on a main road or park. Walking back home if they do happen to poop. Then yeah it's going on a neighbour's yard.

17 Seconds

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
if I spent money on a house, I wouldn't want dogs shitting and pissing on my lawn. like if I'm standing by the window drinking coffee in the morning, I dont want to see someone's dog come up and take a dump on my property.

I dont know if I would complain about it, but I definitely wouldnt like it.

basically if they complained, then you should stop without question