• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
They purposely shitting on your lawn and you're all smiles? I can't relate.
I have a dog and understand that when they decide to go they need to go and having someones dog shit on the sidewalk is disgusting and much harder to clean up. I don't see how people expect owners to walk their dog and let them relieve themselves if every miserable house owner is freaking out over an animal shitting on their lawn. If they don't clean it? Sure that is infuriating and unfortunately happens a lot but otherwise it's so petty to get upset over the situation if they clean up.

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US
You dog's poop goes into your trashcan

You better not drop it in mine and have it stink in my place because you're too lazy to walk your poop home.

You made the decision to own a dog, I didn't, I shouldn't have to deal with your responsibilities.

I don't care about people letting their dog poop in my yard (as long as they pick up after of course), but I don't really want other people putting stuff in my trash cans. Use a public trash can or take it home to yours. I don't need that stuff stinking up my place.

Yeah, this is exactly the attitude I was talking about! Why so defensive about your trash?

Fularu - I'm not talking about coming into your home, or even onto your property. I live in a neighborhood with alleys, and most people leave their trash cans accessible in the alley behind their house, or just out on the street in front. The smell isn't noticeable in your home, any more than the rest of the trash in your can.

I wouldn't really consider this as me pushing my responsibilities onto you since you don't need to interact with the poo whatsoever.

whatsinaname My neighborhood doesn't have public trash cans, since it's strictly residential. And yes, I'll take it home if I don't see a can that's accessible from the sidewalk- I would never walk up someone's driveway, for instance.

Again with the issue of smell. Can you currently smell your trash can from inside your home?

For my part, I'm more concerned with the homeless population digging stuff OUT of my trash, and leaving it strewn about. I don't care if a neighbor wants to drop something in as they walk by- it's all going to the same place anyway.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I wouldn't want someone's dog peeing in my yard because it kills the grass, poop I don't care about if they pick up after it. I'm not gonna throw a fit about it though, but if I started to notice my grass dying I'd same something in a friendly way.

Krakatoa

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
I try to keep my dog from peeing on other people property. Occasionally he'll catch me of guard and poop, if that happens I make sure to clean it up.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People who let their dogs piss and shit on other people's lawns are assholes. Dog piss ruins lawns.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
Dog owner here, I get it. Dog pee messes grass up pretty bad. I try to get the dogs to go on that little strip between them the sidewalk and the street. It works 90% of the time, but I'm not moving them if they decide to poop in a yard. I just scoop after.

thesaint08

Apr 23, 2018
I am astonished that shitting on someone's property is okay to some people. I don't care if it is picked up, if I saw it, me and you are going to have a problem.

Nov 17, 2017
Just curious as to how common this opinion actually is, as it caught me off guard: Live in the suburbs with my folks, and apparently lately on the community message board, a number of people have been demanding that people stop letting their dogs pee or poop on their yards, restricting such matters only to the skinny strip of grass between the road and the sidewalk if it must happen. Not "please pick up after your dog," which is understandable, but "don't let it happen." I have NEVER heard that before, and it just sounds insane to me. Like, sure you can lead a dog on the leash to some degree, but it's not like you can truly control the process, and besides... as long as you pick up after them, what's even the harm? Anyway, my mom's actually letting this get to her and was trying to yank the little family dog over where they wanted, which I said she shouldn't do because frankly, these people are nuts.

So yeah... am I in the right here, or am I actually wrong about this?
You are way in the wrong here OP. Why would you let your dog poop and pee on someone else's lawn? You really shouldn't even be letting your dog on to other people's lawns in the first place so I'm really confused as to why you think it's impossible to stop your dog from doing its business on someone else's lawn. Just don't let your dog onto other people's lawns, it's not that hard. You don't have to literally yank your dog away.

I don't think these people are being unreasonable, it's their lawn and property, you (general term) aren't entitled to use their lawn for your dog to relieve itself. I'm not going to freak out if you let your dog poop on my lawn, clean it and leave but it's rude to do and if it was something you did regularly, it's not insane to ask people to not do that. It's pretty clear from your story that your neighbors are constantly dealing with other people letting their dogs go on their lawn. It really doesn't seem like a one time thing that someone overreacted to.

I have a dog and understand that when they decide to go they need to go and having someones dog shit on the sidewalk is disgusting and much harder to clean up. I don't see how people expect owners to walk their dog and let them relieve themselves if every miserable house owner is freaking out over an animal shitting on their lawn. If they don't clean it? Sure that is infuriating and unfortunately happens a lot but otherwise it's so petty to get upset over the situation if they clean up.
The sidewalk is public. Someone's lawn is not. That's the difference.

Also acting like you can't walk your dog because of homeowners "freaking out" is such an exaggeration. It takes no effort to keep your dog off peoples' lawns. You're acting like you have no control over your dog.

Everyone has a right to not want their yard to be pissed or pooped in. Doesn't matter if your dog "has to go", it's their yard.
Honestly, people who say that give me the impression that they don't properly train their dogs or simply don't care. I've never had my dog piss or poop on someone else's lawn because my dog doesn't step foot on it. It's really not that difficult.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this is exactly the attitude I was talking about! Why so defensive about your trash?

Fularu - I'm not talking about coming into your home, or even onto your property. I live in a neighborhood with alleys, and most people leave their trash cans accessible in the alley behind their house, or just out on the street in front. The smell isn't noticeable in your home, any more than the rest of the trash in your can.

I wouldn't really consider this as me pushing my responsibilities onto you since you don't need to interact with the poo whatsoever.

whatsinaname My neighborhood doesn't have public trash cans, since it's strictly residential. And yes, I'll take it home if I don't see a can that's accessible from the sidewalk- I would never walk up someone's driveway, for instance.

Again with the issue of smell. Can you currently smell your trash can from inside your home?

For my part, I'm more concerned with the homeless population digging stuff OUT of my trash, and leaving it strewn about. I don't care if a neighbor wants to drop something in as they walk by- it's all going to the same place anyway.

I take my bins into my garage for 6 days of the week. Dog poop sitting in a closed area for a day stinks, let alone five days.

Sure, this is just dog poop. But there could be a ton of other material dropped into my bin that I might be liable for. And it technically counts as illegal dumping in many states.

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US
What suburban home doesn't have a yard

My neighborhood is a mix of houses with yards, and apartment buildings that tend to fill the entire lot.

People who let their dogs piss and shit on other people's lawns are assholes. Dog piss ruins lawns.

I guess I understand where they're coming from. Dog piss kills grass

Makes sense. Where I live, almost no one has grass, and people tend not to care to much if your dog pees on their pebble garden or whatever.

If someone is lawn-proud however, I'd be surprised that they didn't have some sort of a barrier between the yard and the street.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
"It's not a big deal" isn't a valid response. It's irrelevant whether or not you think it's an issue, if the owner of a yard/garden doesn't want your dog walking around or shitting on their property then that is literally the end of the discussion.

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is a bit crazy and it's hard to avoid sometimes. But I do understand that female dogs have ammonia in their urine and can sort of burn "holes" in grass. I always kept my male dog on the boulevard just to avoid confrontations. The few times I couldn't stop my dog from taking a dump on a lawn and got yelled at, I just picked up after him and went on my way.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
The sidewalk is public. Someone's lawn is not. That's the difference.

Also acting like you can't walk your dog because of homeowners "freaking out" is such an exaggeration. It takes no effort to keep your dog off peoples' lawns. You're acting like you have no control over your dog.

Honestly, people who say that give me the impression that they don't properly train their dogs or simply don't care. I've never had my dog piss or poop on someone else's lawn because my dog doesn't step foot on it. It's really not that difficult.
Having dogs shit on a sidewalk is disgusting. Grass is both easier with pee and cleaning up poo. My dog only goes to the washroom on my lawn but if there is ever a time where we aren't at home then any grass is the immediate choice rather than having her pee and poo on the pavement.

Obviously some of you are made miserable over petty things. I don't get bothered by this and I experience it constantly every day. I have more important things to worry about in life than someones dog pooing or peeing on my lawn.

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US
I take my bins into my garage for 6 days of the week. Dog poop sitting in a closed area for a day stinks, let alone five days.

Sure, this is just dog poop. But there could be a ton of other material dropped into my bin that I might be liable for. And it technically counts as illegal dumping in many states.

A) I'm not talking about walking into your garage to drop poop in your can; I was pretty clear about that. And I'm also not putting in unbagged poop that could leave residue- that's just nasty.

B) I'm just talking about poop here. If you're seeing motor oil, old batteries and electronics, or medical waste being dumped in your can, that's a completely separate issue.

In terms of legality (again, strictly regarding bagged poop) I think law is on the side of the person dropping poop. The supreme court precedent is that trash in a can on the street is public domain, so I'd assume that this goes the other way as well.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
I never realized letting your dogs poop on other people's yards was a thing, even if you did intend to pick up after.

They'd poop in my yard, then we went for a walk.

This is what I always do to the best of my ability. My dog understands "not your grass" if she starts sniffing around a neighbor's yard.

Several neighbors have trained their dogs to run to another yard to do their business, with the person just opening their front door and waiting for the dog to come back. Very disrespectful.

Also, what's with everyone saying that a dog can't control where they go, or they might only be able to go under specific circumstances, etc? You can train a dog to shit anywhere with a little effort. Unless there's something specifically wrong with the particular dog.

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If they scoop after, then there is no problem. I do not get upset over minor things like that

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US
This is what I always do to the best of my ability. My dog understands "not your grass" if she starts sniffing around a neighbor's yard.

Several neighbors have trained their dogs to run to another yard to do their business, with the person just opening their front door and waiting for the dog to come back. Very disrespectful.

Lol! They must have watched "The Burbs" too much.

I assumed people in the thread were talking about dogs on leash, peeing onto a yard from the sidewalk. I think there's no question that you shouldn't be letting your dog walk around in someone else's yard, and you absolutely shouldn't be letting them run around the neighborhood off-leash.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
The weirder thing for me is that some people have signs on their trash cans asking you not to put your poop bags in them.

Why should your dog's poop fester in my can and garage in the heat for a week? What if the bag breaks and it smears everywhere?

If someone is lawn-proud however, I'd be surprised that they didn't have some sort of a barrier between the yard and the street.

Usually not allowed by HOA's.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Having dogs shit on a sidewalk is disgusting. Grass is both easier with pee and cleaning up poo. My dog only goes to the washroom on my lawn but if there is ever a time where we aren't at home then any grass is the immediate choice rather than having her pee and poo on the pavement.

Obviously some of you are made miserable over petty things. I don't get bothered by this and I experience it constantly every day. I have more important things to worry about in life than someones dog pooing or peeing on my lawn.

This is a serious response? Someone else's lawn is free to use as you see fit because you don't worry about it on your lawn?

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017

Translation: "I let my dog crap on other people's property and I don't have an issue with it. Therefore everyone who doesn't like it must be miserable and petty."

RavFiveFour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Frankly, picking up after your dog regularly is part of being a dog owner. Bag it, move on. Some shit is just too tiny to see, that's why cats are some peoples #1 choice.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
A) I'm not talking about walking into your garage to drop poop in your can; I was pretty clear about that. And I'm also not putting in unbagged poop that could leave residue- that's just nasty.

B) I'm just talking about poop here. If you're seeing motor oil, old batteries and electronics, or medical waste being dumped in your can, that's a completely separate issue.

In terms of legality (again, strictly regarding bagged poop) I think law is on the side of the person dropping poop. The supreme court precedent is that trash in a can on the street is public domain, so I'd assume that this goes the other way as well.

I am forced to leave my trash bin out on trash collection days. I have come back home and found bags of poop in my unlined bin that I have to deal with till the next trash day. If that 12 hr period where I have to leave them out means you can legally put your dog poop bags in, there's not much I can do. But I will absolutely still think of it as a dick move.

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US
Why should your dog's poop fester in my can and garage in the heat for a week? What if the bag breaks and it smears everywhere?

This is a weird tangent that has nothing to do with my points. I'm dropping bagged dog poo in cans that live permanently on the street/in an alley. That's it.

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
People who let their dog poop on a neighbours lawn also usually let their dog pee on the lawn too. Pee can kill the grass.

Walk your dog around your own backyard and let them do their business.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Your dog is only going to go where you lead it.

Take the dog somewhere else rather than in front of someone's yard.

Not difficult

Crocodilelogic

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
My dog is trained to walk on my right side so I keep her on the grass between the sidewalk and the street. I don't like letting her go in other people's yards so this Doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

Also don't put your shit bags in other peoples trash what is wrong with some of you?

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US
I am forced to leave my trash bin out on trash collection days. I have come back home and found bags of poop in my unlined bin that I have to deal with till the next trash day. If that 12 hr period where I have to leave them out means you can legally put your dog poop bags in, there's not much I can do. But I will absolutely still think of it as a dick move.

Yeah, I see your point, and this was a miscommunication. I'm putting poop into cans that are permanently positioned on the street or in an alley. Not in cans that are just out for the day for trash collection.

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, people in this thread are upset that a dog crapped on their lawn even if the owner scooped it up after?
LOL, the things some people get upset about.

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
Same people letting their dogs shit all over probably have a emotional support animal vest bought from amazon too. Same type of attitude.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I see your point, and this was a miscommunication. I'm putting poop into cans that are permanently positioned on the street or in an alley. Not in cans that are just out for the day for trash collection.
Even then, people may be particular about when they bring out their own trash. Having poop in there invites pests that they weren't planning to deal with.

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US
My dog is trained to walk on my right side so I keep her on the grass between the sidewalk and the street. I don't like letting her go in other people's yards so this Doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

Also don't put your shit bags in other peoples trash what is wrong with some of you?

IT'S A TRASH CAN

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Please read my entire response.

I have people let their dogs shit on my street side patch of grass every day. Every now and then they don't pick up. If I catch them in the act I go out and politely say, "hey you forgot something"

I don't yell about the pissing. It's bad for the grass but the neighborhood silent tradition is to let it slide. The grass verges are homeowners property and responsibility but they're also on the public sidewalk. That's fine. I also have a hydrant on my corner so it would be like asking someone to tell their baby to stop crying.

Every now and then though. — people put their bags of dog shit in my trash. Not curbside- they literally walk up my driveway to do it.

The city considers it a biohazard and trash collectors can and do refuse to take away your garbage on trash day if there's a baggie of dogshit in the bin. Further trash collectors work a lot fucking harder than I do for a lot less — in rain and snow and filth and sometimes extremely dangerous conditions and scary neighborhoods and they encounter homeless mentally ill people, gang bangers in alleys, escaped vicious dogs, rats, syringes, corpses, ordure and disease. When you add your upper middle class lazy fucker bag of pedigree dogshit to their day, you're not only trespassing on my property and insulting me — you're treating blue collar essential but thankless service men and women with less respect than you have for Fido's puckered little kibble nozzle. So when I catch them doing that I am a lot less polite. They can place the bags in the public and park trash cans where the regulations and pickup procedures account for that. Or they can take it to their own exquisite million dollar craftsman home.

The onus is then on the homeowner to collect the bagels of shit and carry them to a park or city trash can- or the garbage collection (which we pay for) doesn't happen.

I have had two very angry and irrational shouting matches with adult professionals in my driveway over the years because these entitled turds actually have the gall to push back.

Poop rage and road rage will be the death of me and I know better but it sets me off. Everything goes first pitch black then bright red.

I assume my post has enough information to eliminate any chance of a hot-take pushback on the law, the reason or the logic. Obviously my temperament is neither safe nor acceptable but it's my Achilles heel and I try to breathe deeply before going out to talk to them.

Last edited:

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017

Ah, ok. That makes more sense then. I am in a high traffic area, the city does not allow us to keep our bins out like that indefinitely.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
This is a serious response? Someone else's lawn is free to use as you see fit because you don't worry about it on your lawn?
Obviously I don't get to make that decision. People can get angry and ask people not to let their dog go on their lawn. I just think people who actually get bothered by something so petty and actively seek confrontation for it are miserable individuals. I experience it probably 10x more than most people since my neighborhood is a dog one(Which is great because most dog owners are pleasant) and unless they aren't cleaning up after themselves then it is not a big deal.

Translation: "I let my dog crap on other people's property and I don't have an issue with it. Therefore everyone who doesn't like it must be miserable and petty."
You could actually read my post where I said my dog pretty much only goes on my lawn. You seem to have misunderstood that I'm saying owners let their dog shit and piss on lawn frequently every day..

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I wish my HOA would ban dogs from going to the bathroom in lawns. It's hard enough to keep our lawns alive without dogs pissing in them.

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US
Even then, people may be particular about when they bring out their own trash. Having poop in there invites pests that they weren't planning to deal with.

Sorry, I know that these are full time street cans. The poop is bagged, so it's attracting fewer pests than the wet, unbagged food waste that does leave residue in the can.

I think we've both stated our positions, and obviously we disagree. I'll leave you with the friendly advice to put signage on your cans/yard, so that your neighbors are at least aware of your position.