• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
EDIT: Enough people saying this does bug them has caused me to walk back my opinion on this. Plus I totally screwed up bringing too much of my anger at the specific way my neighbors were being rather rude about the matter into this post and especially the title, which I shouldn't have. That's my bad. Will still leave what I said below so as not to just try to erase it, but I HAVE changed my mind here.

Just curious as to how common this opinion actually is, as it caught me off guard: Live in the suburbs with my folks, and apparently lately on the community message board, a number of people have been demanding that people stop letting their dogs pee or poop on their yards, restricting such matters only to the skinny strip of grass between the road and the sidewalk if it must happen. Not "please pick up after your dog," which is understandable, but "don't let it happen." I have NEVER heard that before, and it just sounds insane to me. Like, sure you can lead a dog on the leash to some degree, but it's not like you can truly control the process, and besides... as long as you pick up after them, what's even the harm? Anyway, my mom's actually letting this get to her and was trying to yank the little family dog over where they wanted, which I said she shouldn't do because frankly, these people are nuts.

So yeah... am I in the right here, or am I actually wrong about this?

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017
I mean, it's a bit unreasonable but I don't think it's insane. I usually try to keep my dog on the strip between the sidewalk and the street anyways.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Urine in the right here.

That's just not acceptable for them to be demanding that. A dog is gonna dog.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
I never realized letting your dogs poop on other people's yards was a thing, even if you did intend to pick up after.

They'd poop in my yard, then we went for a walk.

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, unless your neighbors like to have picnics on their lawns, cleaning up after your dog should be more than good enough.

Turbowolf

Nov 2, 2018
Just because you're scooping doesn't mean everyone is. I imagine this notice is directed at the non-scoopers.

My mom actually lives in a condo where dogs are not allowed to pee or poop on the property. She has to take her dog across the street, to the park, to do his business. Naturally, he doesn't make it sometimes.

cwmartin

Oct 27, 2017
Personally, I don't let my dog shit or piss in someones front lawn. Seems kind of rude and I wouldn't expect it. I probably wouldn't get too upset about it, but I would definitely say to myself "this guy just let his dog shit in my front yard".

I know for a FACT, you would get verbally assaulted if you tried to do this in any burb in Long Island, from experience.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're being uppity....and it's unrealistic to ask this. My guess is they don't like how dog urine is probably burning their grass (pH levels)...too bad.

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US
I never realized letting your dogs poop on other people's yards was a thing, even if you did intend to pick up after.

Some people don't have yards lol

And some dogs won't poop unless they're being walked!

In my neighborhood, some people have little signs in their yards asking you not to let your dog poop there, and I respect those. The weirder thing for me is that some people have signs on their trash cans asking you not to put your poop bags in them.

I still respect the request, but I don't understand the defensiveness over trash. Would you rather I left it on the sidewalk?

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I didn't either when I lived in apts, but that's what the apt grounds were for.
Yeah, I get it. Just saying some places are just like a condo or small apt. next to other small apt buildings with nowhere to really go. Esp. by around me in the NYC area. Then...there's parks too.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
You can't control the process, and it is bad for the dog to be moved while pooping. If he has to go he has to go. Fuck those neighbors.

Sowrong

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
i always yell out my window at people who park their dog in my yard, knowing what's supposed to happen, get the f out of here with that shit.
I don't let my dogs go in other peoples yards. How rude can you be.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
That seems a bit unreasonable. Honestly, I would PREFER to not have a dog crap on my lawn, but it's a dog and dogs poop and pee outside. And dogs sniff around until they find where they want to do their business, and restricting them to certain areas probably won't work for them.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Nah. Your dog shouldnt be on my lawn. Tug them fuckers back and let em drop somewhere else.

I'd have words with someones dog shitting on my lawn.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
I have a dog and I always walk her on the strip or just let her in my yard.

Imagine paying hundreds or thousands to make your front yard look really nice, then having dogs piss on it and create yellow spots. I'd be pissed too tbh.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So someone taking umbrage at a dog shitting on their property is being an uppity jerk?, wow.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Maybe it's because I'm from the UK but I'd be pee'd off if people let their dog take a dump in my garden even if they cleaned up after it.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017

I had a dog that would never poop in our yard, he knew that walks were for bathroom time. We could try and put him in the yard when we were short on time or sick but he would never poop, so we had to walk him twice a day every day.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017

In my neighborhood, some people have little signs in their yards asking you not to let your dog poop there, and I respect those. The weirder thing for me is that some people have signs on their trash cans asking you not to put your poop bags in them.

I still respect the request, but I don't understand the defensiveness over trash. Would you rather I left it on the sidewalk?
You dog's poop goes into your trashcan

You better not drop it in mine and have it stink in my place because you're too lazy to walk your poop home.

You made the decision to own a dog, I didn't, I shouldn't have to deal with your responsibilities.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017

I don't care about people letting their dog poop in my yard (as long as they pick up after of course), but I don't really want other people putting stuff in my trash cans. Use a public trash can or take it home to yours. I don't need that stuff stinking up my place.

Oct 25, 2017
China
Just because you're scooping doesn't mean everyone is. I imagine this notice is directed at the non-scoopers.

My mom actually lives in a condo where dogs are not allowed to pee or poop on the property. She has to take her dog across the street, to the park, to do his business. Naturally, he doesn't make it sometimes.
This is a reasonable opinion. Not everyone cleans up after thier dog. If you do, then your good.

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
Idk it definitely seems rude to let your dog shit and piss in other people's yards. Not that it's inherently wrong but it's their yard, their choice.

DRock

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
don't let your dogs walk on other people's lawns. Keep them on the sidewalk and curb. Not that hard. Yes, I am a dog owner.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's unreasonable. I don't allow my dog to go near people's front yards, let alone pee or poop on it. The strip is free game for her.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Pooping in other yards is fine as long as it's picked up, but pee just destroys grass so I understand why a neighbor wouldn't want that.

Agreed but with my dogs, when we are walking sometimes they start peeing out of nowhere. You essentially need to yell at them and start pulling on the leash if you want them to stop peeing.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
I think they are. I never let my dog pee on someones flowers or stuff they planted but the grass, I don't see why they care. I always cleaned up after my dog's poop as well.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a reasonable compromise. This is the sort of thing where the people who are adamant about it will get the HOA bylaws changed to just outright ban the behavior which will only cause bigger headaches.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Clean up after your pets. Anyone having a coniption over a dog relieving itself and the owner cleaning up after is just being a bit of a dick.

Squirrels and birds and rabbits defecate all over your yard all day and nobody cleans that up.

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
You may see them as being uppity, but one could say you are being rude by expecting them to live by your terms.

Just have your dog go on the strip, in your yard, wherever. Keep it off someone else's property if they don't want it. You can pick the poop up in a little baggy and throw it away in a public bin or at your house.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
Its not unreasonable. What if they have toddlers playing around in their yard? Even if you pick up the dogshit, thats still going to be pretty disgusting.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah they are being insane. As long as people clean up after their dogs there is no issue.

My area there is a lot of people with dogs and I constantly see them shitting and pissing on my lawn. I just watch to make sure they clean up and then move on with my day because I'm not a miserable asshole. :)

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
Don't your neighbors have fence or something ?
Where I live every private lawn is fenced, a dog or whomever wouldn't be able to come shit wherever he pleases.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
I have a dog and I agree that you should try your best to not let your dog pee and shit on people's yards. It's sometimes difficult, but I get it. A lot of people don't pick up their dogs shit and pee does affect plants and grass.

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
Yeah they are being insane. As long as people clean up after their dogs there is no issue.

My area there is a lot of people with dogs and I constantly see them shitting and pissing on my lawn. I just watch to make sure they clean up and then move on with my day because I'm not a miserable asshole. :)
They purposely shitting on your lawn and you're all smiles? I can't relate.