• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I wonder if Obama will get remembered more fondly by Republicans, 8 years down the line. I could imagine his unpopularity with Reps could prove to be an exception to this rule. (For whatever strange reason)

There are plenty of Republicans that will never look fondly at Obama solely due to the color of his skin. Sadly, if Obama were white, I bet his overall favorables would be a solid 5-10 points higher.

As for Bush, he's hardly Hitler, but you can't deny the immense damage he did to us - and the rest of the world - by dragging us into a war on false pretenses. I'll never look at him favorably.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
When your only other republican president to compare Bush to is Trump... well that's why he's viewed more favorably. He wasn't a good president, but he didn't divide the country like Trump.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Trump reality distortion field.

It really is.

"Hey, Bush made fun of Trump, he's our guy!".

As I've satirised before someone on death row (I don't agree with the death penalty but using for satirical value) for mass rape, murder and torture of children could say something sensible about Trump. Trump is one of the easiest politicians/leaders of all time to find something to criticise. Remember that when praising the source of some of his criticism.

Tony Blair could criticise David Cameron/Theresa May for pretty much setting the UK down an irreversible economy crash due to Brexit. Tony Blair is still a war criminal. I will never revise that to he wasn't that bad a guy, and the lives he massacred don't mean that much compared to his amazing Tweet takedown of Theresa May. It was soo funny and savage! He's one of ours, he doesn't like May. Nah, fuck that. Tony Blair can do one, as can George Bush.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Like someone said above, I think the "somewhat approve/disapprove" number may be skewing it a bit. Like, I approve of what Bush did for AIDS research/treatment in Africa during his presidency (and my understanding is that he is still doing this). Although, I also feel much more strongly/negatively about his horrible Iraq War shenanigans. So, do I somewhat approve of Bush? I guess so, but couldn't that also mean I somewhat disapprove? Probably.

ishan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
imo as a person he seems fine. but as a president thats a whole other issue.

ishan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dont think the vast majority of republicans are as racist/bigotted as portrayed.in the post above mine.

Bán

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've always thought Bush's reputation as an idiot protected him.

There was this sense that he was goaded or misled by other, properly evil people into all the worst mistakes he made - that he wasn't truly the author of most of the things that happened during his presidency because he was too stupid to have been. And therefore while his presidency was a disaster, that he himself isn't a particularly bad person. Is that a fair assessment? I say no.

SpecX

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Bush is way better than Trump, but he's still not a good President. I feel he was misguided by his cabinet and VP, but those were his picks and he should have vetted them better before on boarding them and having the shit get out of hand like it did. I will approve of him as a good person, better President than Trump, and an awesome shoe dodger, but I don't approve of his overall work as a President.

Hat22

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Like someone said above, I think the "somewhat approve/disapprove" number may be skewing it a bit. Like, I approve of what Bush did for AIDS research/treatment in Africa during his presidency (and my understanding is that he is still doing this). Although, I also feel much more strongly/negatively about his horrible Iraq War shenanigans. So, do I somewhat approve of Bush? I guess so, but couldn't that also mean I somewhat disapprove? Probably.

The lack of internet to follow all of the scandals and his decent handling of 911 (aside from the war) probably color the modern view of him the most.

Silence

Oct 27, 2017
United States
People have short term memories. And nostalgia is a powerful thing.

I think, for a lot of voters, whichever party is in power is seen as doing things poorly. Then, when it comes time to choose again, they decide to change to the other side, because, 'hey, maybe they'll be better'. I'm convinced a lot of voters don't think back past the last 8 years, and a lot don't actually vote based on a true knowledge of the issues, they vote with their guts. In the US at least, non-party voters are often the ones that make a difference. Well that, and a worthless electoral college, but that's another thing.

We don't make much progress in the US anymore because of this thinking, we teeter totter between ideologies, and don't really get any progress. It's frustrating.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
You don't see as evil a guy that -on false pretenses- brought the world into a war that killed hundreds of thousands of people?
People mistook incompetence and gullibility for villainy and, now that they see what actual (incompetent, gullible) villainy looks like, they're over-compensating in the other direction.

Bush is still terrible, but in hindsight it's easy to see that his worst decisions sprung from his allowing himself to be surrounded by legitimately terrible people that he then trusted and listened to. And while in this way he's responsible for a truly astonishing loss of human life, directly and indirectly, he actually did try to do, and succeed at doing, some good things while in office.

My view of Bush is still unfavorable. Though maybe not to the same degree it once was.

Eight years of good times with Obama, and the current president being cartoon villain levels of awful makes people who should know better forget. The Bush admin was a fucking nightmare that wrecked the economy, bungled natural disaster responses, and caused the needless deaths of thousands upon thousands. I remember during my middle school years, there was a sunday political news show that had a feature every week where they would show the pictures and names of military personnel that died in action over in Afghanistan and Iraq over the previous week. This feature was always so long that the song that played in the background would have to loop at least once.

That was the Bush administration for me.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
it's a lot easier to be popular when you're retired from politics.

even john boehner is looking a little sympathetic these days

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The way Bush handled 9/11 (Especially the Mosque visits) is his greatest contrast to Trump. His administration was absolutely horrible and incompetent, but we're learning now what a difference it makes to have someone in office willing to do that. Doesn't excuse or justify anything else in his past, but it's by far the biggest aspect that people will focus on and it's completely understandable in today's climate.

resident_UA

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I know a Trump supporter who thinks that Bush organized 9/11. He really hates Obama for some reason, but loves Trump and is happy that Republicans are in power. People are stupid...

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Bush has that friendly personality that makes you think "oh he's not evil, he's just incompetent". But then you remember how the Iraq war started and the anger comes flooding back...

Zukkoyaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Trump effect. I don't think there's any rational dem who would NOT take Dubya over him.

That and a lot of current voters were either too young or not politically aware enough during the Bush administration to really understand how awful he was.

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
Bush, when taken out of context, is a goofy boob. So, despite the fact that he's an all-time bottom-5 president, he looks good next to a rage monster that's also the worst president.

Africanus II

Oct 26, 2017
I was a child under the Bush admin. Still remember how hated he was.
The distance of time hasn't changed my perception of him, but the personal distaste, especially back when the economy was bad, has softened for me.
The Trump effect is also real. Bush used to be the bar for terrible presidents in terms of behavior and actions. Still is for actions, but I can only imagine how someone else who doesn't follow politics could perceive it.

Now as for favorable, Bush really did a number in portraying his folksy vibe after he left office. He wasn't an idiot president and is still largely to blame for the faults of his presidency.

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Once upon a time we were fortunate enough to eat fruit. These fruits consisted out of apples and bananas. Rarely anything else. I quickly grew tired of both of these. A few months later, during a financial crises, we could no longer afford fruit. This lasted more than a few months. During that time, I had a newfound appreciation of apples and bananas. Bush is the apples and bananas in this metaphor. Granted, the apples and bananas we purchased didn't start a war, nor did they ruin us financially. But even an exceedingly boring foodstuff can and will be missed, when you're left with nothing at all.

I realise this isn't the perfect metaphor, but I think this is sort of how 51% of Democrats came to their conclusions.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Same thing with Carter and Republicans. After he left office, people more and more began to focus on the person as an individual rather than as a failed president. George mishandled the aftermath of 911 by allowing war profiteers to guide our country into an unwinnable conflict.

But, it could of been worse. Nowadays, I imagine what things could have been like had he used overtly hateful rhetoric. He showed restraint there. Hell, he tried to EDUCATE Americans in those speeches why hating groups of people defiles our national spirit. Like it was his responsibility as leader to make sure to keep our national discourse from going down that route. I didn't like him as President, but I appreciate that greatly seeing ho things have become.

People would have eaten it up, just like they do now, too. Even more so. He could say "This religion is a cancer on the world and must be eradicated" and right after 911, he'd have fair support even then. I was 15 then... you'd hear worse things than that from 90% of people you talk to in the days that followed.

It's been said many times before, Trump is Bush's best friend. Bush is dumb for a president, but Trump is dumb for regular man. Bush is inarticulate for a president, but Trump is inarticulate for a regular man. It goes on and on.

My view on his is mixed. I think he was a horrible president who let his country down by knowingly letting scumbags steer this country in a direction he personally knew to be wrong because he was all too aware how unfit to lead he was. He was outside of his understanding and abilities, and turned to bad people to cover up his humiliation. He deserves everything people say about him.

BUT, I don't think he's a hateful man. A low bar, but nowadays I don't take this for granted. I actually imagine he's a GOOD man from virtually everything I've heard, but I don't know him personally so I can't say. As I said, it's like Carter and Republicans. My dad is a lifelong Republican. He says it all the time "Carter is one of the finest men. Awful president, but a great man." Mostly due to his philanthropy and volunteer work, I'd say.

I don't know if I'd go THAT far with Bush, but I think his worse sin is incompetence, rather than a malicious or hateful outlook.

Here is a bit of wisdom I have, having seen so many people come and go. In life, you have complicated relationships with family members and other associates. You might complain about them every day while they're here. But, after someone's gone, I swear, the good parts about someone are what you tend to remember the most. By a LONG shot.

In the same way, while Trump and Bush share a lot of faults. Bush, however, displayed a surplus of what Trump is missing most, and this lack of compassion and basic dignity is worse than any other hairbrained scheme Trump might try.

But, if polled, Do you like George W Bush? That's going to be a no from me, dog.

Last edited:

Just_a_Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
It's sickening how this murderous war criminal has been successfully rehabilitating his public image these past few years. If there was any justice in this world he would be locked up in prison until the end of his days.

Deleted member 16365

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I always say W as an idiot that surrounded himself with bad people. I imagine that a lot of Dems are missing him in comparison to Drumpf.

When you've just been kicked in the balls, that time you were punched in the gut doesn't seem so bad.

Vautrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I look at trump pretty similarly to Bush Jr. - inept

Luckily Bannon was not Trump's vp - the amount of damage from the trump admin will be incomparable to the damage done by the Bush administration, I predict.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I guess when compared to Trump even war criminals sound nice as long as they maintain the illusion. Fuck them both.

Oct 25, 2017
Bush/Cheney started a forever war over internally made up reasons that were known bullshit and their clueless, idiotic and limp dicked bungling of the post invasion directly led to the creation of ISIS and a new wave of anti-American sentiment in the Middle East.

Fuck Bush forever. To say he isn't worse then Trump on the global scale is short-sighted at best and malicious at worst. Now Trump has the time to become an even bigger fuck-up but he hasnt yet.

This same passing off like Iraq/Afghanistan was not a MASSIVE mistake is what let Iraq happen like 30 years after Vietnam, because people wanted to ignore Vietnam was a massive blow to our military hegemonic ego because we got beat by a bunch of rice farmers with AK-47s and that land wars stopped existing after widespread nuclear armament. Eventually someone will dunk their head into another Vietnam/Iraq/Afghanistan and make the same mistakes because people never fucking learn.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
A lot of good points in this thread, especially about war crimes, but a good chunk of people in America (probably more that that) do not bat a eye at all the death and destruction in the Middle East....it's just is. In one ear out the other, so yeah...those numbers look spot on to me.

Deleted member 2761

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it really depends on the age range of the Democrats polled. You could hardly be surprised if a substantial portion of these Dems couldn't vote when Bush was president.

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
That needed more granularity since Trump makes a lot of people look great in contrast. I could see Bush being "unfavorable" but not "strongly unfavorable" or whatever the max is, while Trump is rock bottom.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Trump was the greatest thing to happen to the Bush family's legacy

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Honestly, in terms of military and intelligence policy, Obama was close to if not just as bad as GWB, and his numbers are unacceptably high given those situations.

Most Americans seem content with an approach of "the ends justify the means" when it comes to military intervention. Even Democrats fall prey to blind patriotism and military rah-rah attitudes. This is why we need the left. The Democratic Party in America has completely lost its way... if it ever really had one.