• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
The one thing that woul give them pause? If Brexit resulted in Corbyn becoming Prime Minister.

I'm... a bit a loss for words as his much the issue is effecting British politics. There's more data in the thread if you want to take a look.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
conservatives worldwide would do the same. the type of person who identifies as a conservative is the same type of person who cannot admit when they've made a mistake.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Saw this earlier and was taken aback.

One of the positives I can take from that, is that if Labour suddenly start storming it in the polls (on a consistent basis) then hey, there might be a shift because of how scary Corbyn is to them.

How they do that, is anyone's guess.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I had a feeling someone was gonna say something like this after I posted it, I'm sure you know what I meant

I know what you meant, but there's a difference between liberals and social democrats. This is UK, where many labour party members would view the US Democrats as conservatives.

Zaph

Oct 25, 2017
Conservative members know Brexit likely won't ruin the economy for them. Corbyn, however, might increase their taxes or, god forbid, ruin their rent yields.

Nov 14, 2017
I know what you meant, but there's a difference between liberals and social democrats. This is UK, where many labour party members would view the US Democrats as conservatives.
Of course the labels are different, but the phenomenon of the right doing harmful and self destructive things to 'own' the other side is transatlantic.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see what room a party that has a teensy problem with anti-Semitism, has a leader who has used right-wing rhetoric on immigration, and that embraced austerity in the wake of the Great Recession has to call the Democrats - pro-choice, pro-LGBT, pro-stimulus, and at least center-left even by international standards - conservative. But I guess I'm not enlightened and European enough to understand.

Anyway, LBJ's quote about racism proves true even in the UK. As long as they can hurt the people they hate, they don't care if it destroys the country or their own economic security. Their status matters even more than anything, even if they're kings of a scrap heap.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
It's like the UK version of:
12.jpg

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Isn't this the exact reason the UK (and the greater Commonwealth as a whole) still has the Queen as their head of state.

I feel like most monarchists have thrown around the sitting Monarch being some sort of rarely used bi-partisan nuclear-option seat of sober-second-thought who has a vested interest in the good governance of their nation as a plus-side of having a Monarchy style government compared to having the position be a form of elected governance.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

There's actually a lot of leftists and leftist parties in Europe that are against EU due to they want their country to control immigration. The statement by Corbyn is, in my observations when it comes to EU and immigration, shared by a lot of leftist parties.

It's kinda weird, for example in my country of Norway, the left is against EU, while the right is either yes to EU or "whatever the people want".

Like this from the article:

"What there wouldn't be is the wholesale importation of underpaid workers from central Europe in order to destroy conditions, particularly in the construction industry."

Is a common thought in European left, well at least Scandinavia left, according to my observations.

Last edited:

Ortix

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's actually a lot of leftists and leftist parties in Europe that are against EU due to they want their country to control immigration. The statement by Corbyn is, in my observations when it comes to EU and immigration, shared by a lot of leftist parties.

It's kinda weird, for example in my country of Norway, the left is against EU, while the right is either yes to EU or "whatever the people want".

Is a common thought in European left, well at least Scandinavia left.

A lot of those "leftist" parties aren't very progressive and have a racist as fuck base.

Oct 27, 2017
What I find most mind boggling from that is they'd (marginally) rather hang onto the basket case that is Northern Ireland over Scotland.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of those "leftist" parties aren't very progressive and have a racist as fuck base.

They are very progressive and I have never seen any sign of racism among Norwegian leftis parties or Swedish leftist parties for example. So if you can show me something that changes my mind on that, go ahead.

Yep.

Economically progressive... as long as the benefits go to the white majority only.

Do you even know what you are talking about? Are we talking about the same thing?

Im talking about Scandinavian leftist parties who are against EU, but are very progressive, economically and socially progressive.

I know this because I am Norwegian.

Plum

May 31, 2018
At this point I'd say we're doomed.

The sociopaths and psychopaths are running the show and there's very little we can realistically do to stop it.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Do you even know what you are talking about? Are we twalking about the same thing?

Im talking about Scandinavian leftist parties who are against EU, but are very progressive, economically and socially progressive.
You said in your own damn post that many of them want to "control immigration." Whose immigration do you think they've been objecting to?

Yes, for a lot of them the mindset is "universal healthcare and unemployment benefits for me but not for thee," where "thee" typically refers to people who aren't lily-white.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Conservatives would literally rather die than help the downtrodden.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You said in your own damn post that many of them want to "control immigration." Whose immigration do you think they've been objecting to?

Yes, for a lot of them the mindset is "universal healthcare and unemployment benefits for me but not for thee," where "thee" typically refers to people who aren't lily-white.

There's a lot of why for example Norwegian leftists wants to control immigration, here are one that explains it way better than me:

Article
4 reasons for why Norway should say no to EU
Social dumping
The leaders of the scandinavian social democratic parties says that EUs freedom of movement resutls in social dumping

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
"The country may be destroyed, but at least we'll also piss off all our neighbors."

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017

To be fair, there's a stark difference between wanting to control immigration because you just don't want certain people, and believing that controlled measures benefit the wider populace.

Entirely dependent on context and the justification for said policy.

Every country controls immigration, for reasons beyond a right wing boogeyman.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, there's a stark difference between wanting to control immigration because you just don't want certain people, and believing that controlled measures benefit the wider populace.

Entirely dependent on context and the justification for said policy.

Every country controls immigration, for reasons beyond a right wing boogeyman.

From my observation, a big (I assume the biggest) reason for why the left here wants to control immigration is due to social dumping and everything surrounding it (link in a post of mine above if you want to read about it).

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017

Is a common thought in European left, well at least Scandinavia left, according to my observations.
I'm not sure how that disproved anything lol

Oct 26, 2017
It's safe to say that these people have their finances tied up in areas that would benefit from brexit. They will gleefully drive an entire country off a cliff to line their own pockets.
I hope we can get independence as I see no end in sight to this insanity.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Conservatives would literally rather die than help the downtrodden.
A wise man once said people would rather die than to actually live up to their own beliefs.

Apparently, the loophole is when your beliefs are all about hatred for others. Then, even dying is a cost worth paying.
Fucking. Incredible. The cognitive dissonance needed to act this stupid and wreckless is beyond anything I ever could have foreseen 20 years ago.

If humanity had been this in tune with their hate during the 50s at the height of the cold war, we'd all most certainly be dead and the planet irradiated for hundreds of years past now. We need to grow our fucking character back. As is, this shit seems like a sorry race to the bottom.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
All the more reason to join the Lib Dems.

I'm planning to myself next month when Boris inevitably becomes PM. This was never a contest because no matter who the final two are, the party members were always going to pick Boris.