• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Sep 17, 2018
y5q1wqq5qre51.png

yougov.co.uk

What should the EU be? | YouGov

A major YouGov study of citizens in 13 member countries looks at attitudes to the EU

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Huh. Where's the distaste for Japan and Vietnam come from?

Also, why does Finland dislike India... and a bunch of others?

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Huh. Where's the distaste for Japan and Vietnam come from?

Also, why does Finland dislike India... and a bunch of others?
The entire poll is done in the context of the EU. So EU members are less interested in helping non-EU members. It's not supposed to gauge any inherent distaste in the countries involved but rather the difference in beliefs amongst the EU members on how the EU should operate.

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck yeah Netherlands, Canada's always got your back too. Also lol Finland...they don't want to help anyone except their immediate neighbors.

moblin

Oct 25, 2017
Москва
I wonder what the specific affinity for Italy/Spain/Portugal is versus other "well-regarded" countries like the Netherlands or Sweden. Popular vacation spots? Generally poorer/lower standard of living but "Western" enough to be deserving unlike the Hungarians/Romanians who are too "other"?

The poll was conducted right around the peak of coronavirus in Europe so that might be affecting the Italy numbers.

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
Wow Romania's really nice.

Poland too, except for that one person who hates Colombia lol

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Southern Europe unite!
I am happy we seem to be the most willing to help others, outside the UK lol

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
Turns out the Dutch and the Germans (as well as Germans and Austrians, at least as far as it is discernible from this poll) really do like each other, huh?

I wonder what the specific affinity for Italy/Spain/Portugal is versus other "well-regarded" countries like the Netherlands or Sweden. Popular vacation spots? Generally poorer/lower standard of living but "Western" enough to be deserving unlike the Hungarians/Romanians who are too "other"?
The dislike for Hungary could just as easily be rooted in its current government and numerous reports over the last few months that most EU aids are actually going to Orban and his ilk.

Colombia a being last speaks so much
To what, though? I mean, the UK is below Nigeria, Vietnam, India, and Japan.

Southern Europe unite!
I am happy we seem to be the most willing to help others, outside the UK lol
Are you talking about the countries on the side? Because those are the ones others are most willing to help. Spain is the most willing to help as well, but it's followed by Poland, Denmark, Romania, and Germany.

SmartBase

Self-requested ban
Dec 17, 2017
I'm surprised Finland isn't all red, their willingness to help the always passive Swedes is strange.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Hmm this is quite interesting...Not sure what to make of some of this...Would need to see a more in depth analysis, but think there might be some complex dynamics at play here. Particularly interesting with Finland, considering the generally praised state of Finnish education. Are more people thinking quote on quote pragmatically?

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda funny that UK is still pretty receptive to providing aid to other countries, but barely anyone wants to help the UK anymore.

Apal_ytos

Oct 29, 2017
Greece
It's nice that we southerners want to support each other.
Expected result for Germany, Finland etc, the media here continue to present them quite negatively (the goverments, not the people).

SmartBase

Self-requested ban
Dec 17, 2017
Hmm this is quite interesting...Not sure what to make of some of this...Would need to see a more in depth analysis, but think there might be some complex dynamics at play here. Particularly interesting with Finland, considering the generally praised state of Finnish education. Are more people thinking quote on quote pragmatically?

This is completely anecdotal on my part from my time here but Finns seem to have a weird bootstrap mentality which I'd venture stems from their war and post-war reconstruction experience. "We never got handouts and we paid reparations to the Russians"

Azerach

Oct 29, 2017
"..help financially" rather than just help. Pretty big distinction. Some countries may consider material help or sending experts over more valuable when in crisis.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't trust this poll at all, and the x and y axis should be flipped.

Also: ten countries of 26 members polled makes for a very skewed presentation

Deleted member 14459

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is completely anecdotal on my part from my time here but Finns seem to have a weird bootstrap mentality which I'd venture stems from their war and post-war reconstruction experience. "We never got handouts and we paid reparations to the Russians"

Having lived in Finland, I'd echo this, most Finns are quick to remind that Finland was the only country to pay their war reparations in full and w/o complaint, their particular Cold War experience of being in 'the middle' , you can also see it in their absurd trust in their own military. It's also in tension with their relatively hightrust in EU institutions in comparison to other countries, which you can see in the full survey results.

Interesting that France would prefer to see the US as hegemon rather than EU lol. Raises some questions about sample and methodology. Perhaps it was an internet panel?

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I love Spain
"We would help anyone, even you Dutchies, except you UK. Fuck you"

Weeros

Apr 11, 2020
Ugh. As a Finn believing in solidarity and strong, unified EU, the results look particularly shameful for us. I'd want to check the sample size for Finland. I've seen some studies claiming they are representative on EU level, yet interviewed only a handful of Finns so. There's a link to the data but I wasn't able to open it, if anyone manages, let us know.

But anyway, I wonder what can be said about the results. I think in general, since the financial crisis, there's been a perception, seen in papers etc. that we, who perceive "always doing things properly financially", ie. not having too much debt etc. are getting pumped for dry in the EU by the southern states, ie. always being on the giving, not receiving end. With strict lockdown mentality (at least still during when this survey was done), we've done pretty well with the pandemic, so perhaps some people responding this are thinking along the lines "now those Southern countries who just party at the beach messed up again and we are going to pay again". Like this mentality of "we're already a very small, very poor country but doing ok thanks to ourselves enduring some hardships so why should we give more money to some countries with population many times of us we don't feel that connected to". I don't personally agree, but it's a narrative I've seen thrown around by some people.. I wonder how the question was framed too. I think if the question would emphasize the financial aid given would be somehow relative to our size and others, ie. would somehow balance this aspect, the results would be very different - in general I think people feel emphatic to other EU countries.

Other than that and generally being left to our own devices during our existence as a nation (see Winter War and what followed) being one cornerstone of our national identity, I think there are unfortunately people who think we, who are in general considering ourselves to be the most sensible, practical people in the crazy world today, should just curb into a ball and try to stay away from the storms in the bigger world (think of Hobbits in Middle-Earth circa end of third age). That being said, many Finns in general feel strong cultural connection to other Nordics, always yearning to be recognized as real Scandinavian country (and certainly not in the sphere of influence of Russia where we've been trying to get the hell away from since 100 years), so I'm not surprised wanting to help Sweden and Denmark, and Estonia who is seen like our little brother who also managed to escape from the Russians recently.

Again, I don't agree with these views personally and would love my countrymen to understand a bit better how well off they are in the world, and how integrally connected they are to the fate of the rest of our European friends and how much of our values we share with them.

iapetus

Oct 26, 2017
All this UK hate just proves that we were right to leave the EU in as messy and destructive a way as possible.

Zutroy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually surprised at the UK figures (the ones we'd help, not surprised nobody wants to help us lol). See, we're not all dicks!

anamika

May 18, 2018
I would think there's more to it than this considering their numbers for their neighboring countries. What you are saying suggests that the Finns apply the bootstrap mentality only to certain countries. So the Indians are expected to help themselves but the Finns would like to help the Estonians?

Jimbobsmells

Nov 17, 2017
All this UK hate just proves that we were right to leave the EU in as messy and destructive a way as possible.
I hope this is sarcastic. If you can't see why the U.K. spending years (decades) trashing European countries governments, policies, standards, policing, border control, and even culture would piss them off then I don't know what to tell you.
It's a matter of respect. If the U.K. doesn't want to respect others then why should they respect us.
Remember it's 'help financially' not 'help'. The U.K. can pay its own way.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017

Interesting poll results.

The poll has a lot of UK hatred, which is really sad to see. I think a lot of it is to do with England rather than the UK as a whole. There has always been a lot of anglophobia in Europe and even a lot of anglophobia within the home nations of the UK itself. It's shit being English

At least the UK came good in the poll and showed it would help out almost everybody.

I wouldn't agree with leaving the EU mind. I want us to campaign and rejoin and be part of a united Europe. We should be building bridges in Europe. Not giving them the finger.

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
There's a few other interesting results in this survey:

eu20vs20china20vs20us7qj8u.png

Of all the covered countries, I really expected the French to be the least supportive of a US hegemony over a EU one. What would Charles de Gaulle think of this?

Also, the relatively meagre +17 for the US over China in Germany doesn't surprise me at all. Two of the US' last three presidents were pretty shit and they actually reelected one of them (hopefully that won't be true for the second one...)

nato20vs20eu20army-029ej1s.png

Apart from the mess of a Venn diagram this is, Swedes do realise they're not actually in NATO, do they?

SmartBase

Self-requested ban
Dec 17, 2017
I would think there's more to it than this considering their numbers for their neighboring countries. What you are saying suggests that the Finns apply the bootstrap mentality only to certain countries. So the Indians are expected to help themselves but the Finns would like to help the Estonians?

Umm, yes? Of course there's more to it but considering their shared history and mutual external threats Estonia's probably not a good comparison.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting poll results.

The poll has a lot of UK hatred, which is really sad to see. I think a lot of it is to do with England rather than the UK as a whole. There has always been a lot of anglophobia in Europe and even a lot of anglophobia within the home nations of the UK itself. It's shit being English

At least the UK came good in the poll and showed it would help out almost everybody.

I wouldn't agree with leaving the EU mind. I want us to campaign and rejoin and be part of a united Europe. We should be building bridges in Europe. Not giving them the finger.
I dont think it is hatred. Its who would you lile to help. The UK has basically just told everyone "we dont need your jelp" this poll is other countries saying "fine"

Don't get me wrong the hatred will still be there but this poll ain't that.