• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Britons like to think they have a "special relationship" with the US, based on a common language and cultural, historical and political ties.

But, according to one of the UK's most respected polling companies, there's one chasm the English language can't always bridge - the British love of passive-aggressive statements.

In the words of YouGov, "half of Americans wouldn't be able to tell that a Briton is calling them an idiot".

YouGov showed a number of common British phrases, including "with the greatest respect", "I'll bear it in mind" and "you must come for dinner", to Britons and Americans.

"While not all the phrases show a difference in transatlantic understanding, there are some statements where many Yanks are in danger of missing the serious passive aggression we Brits employ," YouGov said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46846467

Drensch

Oct 27, 2017
It's almost as if local slang is local and that there is more to language than just words.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
So some Americans don't know some British slang - who knew?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
i came into this thread fully prepared to make fun of americans for being idiots but then
YouGov showed a number of common British phrases, including "with the greatest respect", "I'll bear it in mind" and "you must come for dinner", to Britons and Americans.
yeah i'd miss some of those too, lol and i'm a big fan of passive-aggressiveness and sarcasm

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I've always heard the American South is kind of broadly similar where you say nice things but what you actually mean is "i'm going to murder you and eat your heart"

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
I've noticed in the last 15 years, Americans usage of sarcasm has grown enormously. It's become a thing on the internet and spread into normal life for a long time now, it's universal.

There was a time when they would mostly take anything you said as literal when there wasn't much contact between us. You could probably map out the progression from TV radio to early internet forums and podcasts where you'd get Americans misunderstanding and not even acknowledging an obvious sarcastic tone to where we are today.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
Guess I'll just post what I said in the other thread:

----

I would imagine intonation has a lot to do with it-- I mean it seems weird to say "here's some text, is the person outright lying to you or not?" But hearing the intonation can change a lot of the meaning.

It's also cultural to certain locations. In LA for instance "we should get lunch sometime" means "it was nice seeing you briefly but I wouldn't be too bothered if we never crossed paths again"

That said Americans being exceedingly "direct" is both a blessing and a curse I suppose

I've always heard the American South is kind of broadly similar where you say nice things but what you actually mean is "i'm going to murder you and eat your heart"
Yeah that's kind of the secret about "southern hospitality"
For instance "Bless your heart" -> "You are an absolute fool"

Firefoxprime

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yup. America's comedic chops have grown considerably over the last decade as one previous poster has stated.

After 9/11, the "war" in Iraq, and the recession (basically the 2000's)....the country really became skeptical, pessimistic, and jaded. It's a perfect receipe for sarcasm.

If you're born from Caribbean parents (like me) or grew up in a city (nyc for example), then sarcasm is a very very very familiar aspect of your upbringing.

Especially if your parents nation was linked to the UK (Jamaica).

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The funny thing about the relationship between the UK and US is that we in the UK can understand pretty much everything an American is saying. Idioms, context etc. But Americans get so lost between turns of phrase and accents and general awareness of another culture beyond the broadest stereotypes.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
351.gif

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
it's really too bad that the best of english witticism, piers morgan, had to move back to britain

Shyotl

Oct 25, 2017
British humor/sarcasm is boring.

That's all there is to it, really (as an American).

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
What a bizarre article.

"We showed these foreigners some of our inside jokes and they didn't know any of them!!"

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Brit: Mate
Yankee: Dude

Brit: Bollocks
Yankee: Bullshit

Brit: Chips
Yankee: Fries

Brit: Muppet
Yankee: Idiot

Brit: Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Yankee: Fuck that game last night!

Brit: Football
Yankee: Soccer

Brit: God save the queen!
Yankee: Fuck Trump!

:P

Nov 20, 2017
I quite like talking to Americans. Makes me feel like a celebrity. Amazingly they're bang into the Geordie accent too.