• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
British humor/sarcasm is boring.

That's all there is to it, really (as an American).
i don't know man/mate/dude...i'm singaporean so i'm not 'allied' to either side but........i've always preferred British sitcom than the American sitcom. The IT Crowd shits over what......thing......American sitcom seems to call themselves.

Just a 3rd party throwing his views on the brit/yank humour debate i guess :P

Shyotl

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, it is great. (Impartial swede vote)
Also, I think the correct spelling is humour. ;)
It's typically a little dry for me, but I'm not about to fight over it. I respect your opinion, but I may be a bit biased because I love Kent.

i don't know man/mate/dude...i'm singaporean so i'm not 'allied' to either side but........i've always preferred British sitcom than the American sitcom. The IT Crowd shits over what......thing......American sitcom seems to call themselves.

I'm not going to say that I like the US version of Office or anything. I'm in the weird position of liking the odd campiness that Dr Who and such have, but also finding a lot of the humor to be a complete miss with me... if not outright awkward.

PuppetMinion

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
It's typically a little dry for me, but I'm not about to fight over it. I respect your opinion, but I may be a bit biased because I love Kent.

The dryness is an acquired taste but it can be really great. If you are an reader, try Terry Pratchett. To me, he embodies British humour with many layers.
But don't get me wrong, I really like american humor as well.

Ogami Itto

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I don't care about anything else in this topic, but Seinfeld is better than whatever you call a sitcom, also curb your enthusiasm (by the same guy).

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
British humor/sarcasm is boring.

That's all there is to it, really (as an American).
XBPkjo9.gif

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Quick query to Americans and I hope I'm not being rude by asking, but there was something curious an American once said to me and I just want your opinions/thoughts on it. I used to live with this American guy and we were watching Becker and Cheers followed by Gordon Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmare. I asked the American guy "Why is there always a laugh track in these comedies, and why is there always this overly dramatic piano music, creeping/plucking strings and symbol hit sounds in reality shows". He replied "Some Americans don't know when something is funny or know how to feel about certain situations, so they get queues to tell them how to feel about a joke or a serious situation". I found it a bit odd and I'm not sure how I should take his response or whether or not he is just bullshitting me. If anyone can share some light on what he means, that would clear this up.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017

OBAMA-CRYING-1.jpg

The strangest thing about living in Taiwan is that, in every interaction, you've got a layer of politeness that conceals a layer of profane annoyance that is itself concealing a layer of deep sadness and skepticism. Sarcasm doesn't really work here, though.

Quick query to Americans and I hope I'm not being rude by asking, but there was something curious an American once said to me and I just want your opinions/thoughts on it. I used to live with this American guy and we were watching Becker and Cheers followed by Gordon Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmare. I asked the American guy "Why is there always a laugh track in these comedies, and why is there always this overly dramatic piano music, creeping/plucking strings and symbol hit sounds in reality shows". He replied "Some Americans don't know when something is funny or know how to feel about certain situations, so they get queues to tell them how to feel about a joke or a serious situation". I found it a bit odd and I'm not sure how I should take his response or whether or not he is just bullshitting me. If anyone can share some light on what he means, that would clear this up.

Laugh tracks and musical interludes are a thing in Britain and other Commonwealth/European countries as well. It comes from the first television comedies being an extension of Vaudeville, performed in front of a live studio audience, and is just kind of a tradition, even if the shows aren't shot in front of an audience anymore.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Laugh tracks and musical interludes are a thing in Britain and other Commonwealth/European countries as well. It comes from the first television comedies being an extension of Vaudeville, performed in front of a live studio audience, and is just kind of a tradition, even if the shows aren't shot in front of an audience anymore.

Now that you mention it, British shows did have laugh tracks in them.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
In my experience it's the more stereotypical, boisterous American types that are more confused by sarcasm. Most Americans seem fine with it although they are usually prone to pointing out they are being sarcastic when using sarcasm themselves, as noted by the many "/s" posts on here, something I never see on British-dominated forums.

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe the average American but after hearing so many that enjoy British media/panel shows which are complete British humour I think more people are understanding than they give credit.