• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How much do you think a drunk driver should get for killing a random pedestrian.

Now square that rationale with the potential to kill hundreds.

There's a difference between actually killing someone and doing something that has the potential to do that.

And to be clear :

"Punishment for a First DUI (in the US)

Generally, your first DUI charge will be considered a misdemeanor offense, and you will be punished with fines, community service, license suspension, and possible probation. However, other factors can change the level or nature of your charge resulting in enhanced sentences or penalties. For example, if you have an open container in your vehicle, you may still be charged with a misdemeanor, but your fine or mandatory jail sentence could be increased. If a child was present in the vehicle while you were driving, some states will elevate your misdemeanor charge to a felony offense, even if you have never had a prior drunk driving conviction.

In addition to the criminal nature of a DUI, every DUI has an administrative element that can be just as painful as the charge itself. For example, before you are ever convicted, some states will automatically suspend your license if you refuse to provide a breath test. This license suspension is a separate suspension from the one that comes after a DUI conviction. "

I can not stand people who drive while under the influence of alcohol or other drugs, but most people who do that are not going to jail when they're caught at all. The level of endangerment can of course increase the severity of what your punishment is, but 10 years for flying a drone near an airport is excessive. There's no reason to put someone in prison for that long, especially if no one was hurt, unless it's just out of spite.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
This is not proportional to the idiocy that they committed, so I feel for them. The conditions of the prisons over there can't be pretty either.
The replies in here are pretty gross tho. Like some people really need to log out for a moment and realize that those are actually real people even if they are stupid.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
This is more on Iran having a backwards ass country and the rest of the world deciding that's okay.

Biggest "fuck you, got mine" the western world has is when it comes to being critical of other countries and their laws. Everyone turns into "shoulda followed the rules bud" person.

ArachosiA

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I feel terrible for these people. Being incarcerated in an Iranian prison has to be terrifying. The trauma they are facing is going to haunt them until the day they die.

Oct 28, 2017
Disagree. A few months ago someone intentionally flew drones over Heathrow Airport. Not only could that have caused fatalities, but grounded flights for a full day preventing people seeing family, going on holiday etc. at one of the busiest airports in the world. All for some personal enjoyment?

Our government were looking to enforce the maximum of 10 years jail sentence which I think is more than appropriate given the circumstance.

There were also Greenpeace threatening to fly drones over an airport until our Government warned them off with severe jail time.

That was Gatwick and the cops weren't even sure whether there was a drone at all - it was all based on hearsay. The people they arrested were released almost immediately on account of a lack of evidence. The charges were also different from simply contravening civil drone laws. They involved active disruption of aviation services with intent to endanger persons or operations, hence the prospective jail sentence.

The drone laws are relatively incidental in this case, as I have mentioned. In any other country or, frankly speaking, at another time in Iran, the result would be a slap on the wrist and probable deportation. The Iranian government is currently leveraging any excuse it can find to arrest and incarcerate Australian and US nationals because they are upset that the Australian government extradited an Iranian to the US. Could you tell me what the great offence was that prompted a decade-long sentence for this woman?

Nov 1, 2017
Iranian prison is no joke and the government imprisons even their own people arbitrarily. They've probably endured 3 months of hell already being foreigners. One of my friends was an Iranian (he preferred to call himself Persian) immigrant who knew people who were jailed and beaten for attending protests.

The victim blaming here is insane. They should have known better about flying drones in these countries but they dont deserve being imprisoned unjustly just because they were travelling while white and ignorant of what not to do. Iranians are also technically Caucasian if im not mistaken.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2017
Ok bro. If you want to live with anarchy remove yourself from civilization. Having laws isn't bad. Having laws that support torture is specifically bad and wrong. Thankfully most countries aren't this bad with their laws.

No one is talking about anarchy, "bro". I am responding to people who have dehumanized those two tourists because "hurr durr they broke the law".

If people are detained and punished for a trumped up crime they may have not even committed, than yes the laws and government that are allowing it should be blamed, not the people.

Masquerader

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I don't give a fuck how dumb these people are. I groan about stereotypical white "Influencer" types all the time myself. Sure, they fucked up, but if you post about their idiocy without even a single mention of sympathy for their plight or hatred of the literal MONSTROUS dictatorship they are currently at the mercy of, then you're fucked up too. Realign those fucking moral values because even if you play stupid games and win stupid prizes, the suffering is utterly unjust and your victim blaming as as evil as any other type, even if you don't see it as such.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
This thread is no longer productive and as such is now locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.