• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Continue to be really happy with this season, though my boy Nightwing being so prominent plays a part in that. Like how the outsiders are coming together, also wondering how this fake schism is gonna blow up in everyone's faces

Also, feels like Halo gets killed every week

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So...
Did the animation team ran out of money for John Kent? He looked unfinished there
Jonathon*

He looks fine, a bit out of focus maybe
[
xlHQgpx.jpg
/SPOILER]

The Namekian

Nov 5, 2017
New York City
I love the fact the light had already considered killing everyone's children but realized that it would likely lead to their own destruction as well, It really shows how dark this show is, same for how Vandal treated his daughter

Matsukaze

Oct 25, 2017
Episode 7 was fairly dull, but I really liked episodes 8 and 9. I absolutely loved the segment with Tim's team.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Halo is the Kenny of the show lol. First time was shocking now I just wait each episode to see how they'll do it.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Damn, some good stuff about Savage, and I completely forgot that the VA for him in the previous seasons died. :( New VA is doing a great job.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
Finished episodes 7 and 8. Two very different episodes but both great. I was not at all expecting the ending to episode 8. As for episode 7
has Vandal Savage ever been pushed like this before. He's pretty much the series big bad and a huge threat now it seems to the point that damn Darkseid is treating him as a near equal!
Now to finish episode 9.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Weissman brought back Orm so he could be killed off by Lady Shiva.
I assume the comics explain what happened to him in more detail.
Atlantis is an actual country and not just a city in YJ.

Orm tried to take it over by inciting racial tensions between the "pure humans" and the more fishy people like the mermaids and Lagann's race, his Oceanmaster persona was a blatant KKK parallel in the tie in comics.

He deserved what he got.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
Atlantis is an actual country and not just a city in YJ.

Orm tried to take it over by inciting racial tensions between the "pure humans" and the more fishy people like the mermaids and Lagann's race, his Oceanmaster persona was a blatant KKK parallel in the tie in comics.

He deserved what he got.

Hey, I thought it was funny because Orm barely had any relevancy in the entire series.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, I thought it was funny because Orm barely had any relevancy in the entire series.
To be honest, that's a lot of characters in this series.

The way it tells it's story is really unique. It has no problem setting up some kind of narrative hook, either plot or character and....just dropping it. Like, the first episode of the entire series opens with several members of the justice league fighting their ice villains. Batman notes that it's an absurd coincidence that ice villains from all over would attack all at once, so there must be something more to it. We never heard of this plot thread again.

It does this with so many things. Like the romance between Zatana and Dick? Well, we see them work up to it, but at some points between the series, they broke up. Dick is implied to have a few girlfriends, including barbara, but they since broke up with him. Come season 3, he's back together with Barbara. Or like Superboy's relationship with superman, it's set up as them having problems, then the start of season 2 it's implied they made up some ground, and ever since then it hasn't really been acknowledged how Superman and Superboy see each other. Or how the light changes it's members each season.

And in most other series, this would be a huge weakness where the story feel schizophrenic and frayed and incomplete. But here, it doesn't. It's more like it feels like this DC universe is so big and has so many things happening that all we can really get is brief glimpses of the story's everyone is leading, but don't actually get to see them. It honestly feels like Weisman wrote the universe as though it was able to follow an entire season focusing on any given character, but since we only have one season, we only get these snatches of story here and there.

Hence we have stuff like Ocean Master. He went from being a cain and abel type brother who hides his resentment from Aquaman and a had a seat at the table of the Light, who has huge plans in the works, to us being told that sometime between then and season 3, he was outed, had some kind of great battle with aquaman, was thrown in jail and left to rot, only to come back for another new plot, only for it to be cut short by shiva, who somehow ended up being the lights new enforcer. If someone wants to call that anticlimactic, I don't blame them I guess, but the entire series just has this atmosphere that any time we have a single episode that focus' on maybe 3 characters or plotlines developing, there are 30 character and 30 plotlines being developed offscreen. It's cool because it makes this DC universe feel alive by having this stuff be so normalized that Ocean Master's fall from grace nothing more than a footnote and not even worthy of an episode, even though that episode would probably be pretty cool to see.

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, that's a lot of characters in this series.

The way it tells it's story is really unique. It has no problem setting up some kind of narrative hook, either plot or character and....just dropping it. Like, the first episode of the entire series opens with several members of the justice league fighting their ice villains. Batman notes that it's an absurd coincidence that ice villains from all over would attack all at once, so there must be something more to it. We never heard of this plot thread again.

I like this post, but this part is incorrect. Later in season 1 there's a whole episode where they follow up on that plot thread where it turns out that the ice villains were all trying to end up in prison together for a meta human prison break

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I like this post, but this part is incorrect. Later in season 1 there's a whole episode where they follow up on that plot thread where it turns out that the ice villains were all trying to end up in prison together for a meta human prison break
It's very possible you're correct, since it was a long time ago (Like, back when Season 1 and 2 aired), but I hope my larger point remains. It just feels like this world has so much going on that it can only give us glimpses of plotpoints at a time.

Edit: I looked it up, because it was bugging me what actually happened. Turns out, the light wanted them all in Belle Reve because they wanted to pull off that country wide snow storm while keeping their involvement hidden. The funny thing is, in the episode, the League suspects it was the 5 ice villains, but Hugo Strange, who they believe is just a normal psychologist, says they were in their cells. I guess the viewer is meant to pick up that Hugo is bullshitting since we know he's a villain, but as far as I think Batman knows, he never found out what happened, unless we just assume that Batman figured out Hugo's real personality sometime between.

Last edited:

#1 defender

Oct 27, 2017
It's very possible you're correct, since it was a long time ago (Like, back when Season 1 and 2 aired), but I hope my larger point remains. It just feels like this world has so much going on that it can only give us glimpses of plotpoints at a time.

He's right about the ice villains plot and you're right with your larger point. From what i've read of Weisman over the years, especially him occasionally answering fan questions on his own website, he seems to meticulously plot out entire character and story arcs for everyone/everything, even if they happen offscreen, which makes the Young Justice universe feel very lived in.

Rlan

Oct 27, 2017
Wellington, New Zealand
I'm loving the new Season, but I'm having a very hard time actually seeing who is who. With a lot of characters outside the suits, I found it hard to remember everyone. I had to look up who the pregnant woman was (Bumblebee). Also doesn't help with all the Harper clones running around.

Also, "You got a baby in there"

Oct 25, 2017

Edit: I looked it up, because it was bugging me what actually happened. Turns out, the light wanted them all in Belle Reve because they wanted to pull off that country wide snow storm while keeping their involvement hidden. The funny thing is, in the episode, the League suspects it was the 5 ice villains, but Hugo Strange, who they believe is just a normal psychologist, says they were in their cells. I guess the viewer is meant to pick up that Hugo is bullshitting since we know he's a villain, but as far as I think Batman knows, he never found out what happened, unless we just assume that Batman figured out Hugo's real personality sometime between.

Yup yup. And yeah, I do think you're larger point still stands. The universe feels very lived in. Just look at the heroes. There's like 5 different teams all just kind of doing their own thing, and while we do get glimpses of what some of the teams are up to, we're only really focused on one of the teams. There's always just a bunch of different stories going on in the background and it makes the world of the show feel real

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
I love how to showcase the fact thet they can get away with a but more than they could at CN, they now kill Halo every week in a bloody fashion. She can't die, might as well makenuse of thay, eh. I love it in any case. Forager continues being Forager, which is enough for his character. The vandal savage exposition episode was nice to see, considering how in E-16 its looking like he gas a much bugger role.

JackDT

Oct 27, 2017
What a delight to discover this show. This has quickly become one of my favorite representations of an entire superhero universe. The comment above about how it uses skipping-over-stories to imply that there is more going on in the world is so dead on. It really makes the world feel deep and lived in.

Oct 26, 2017
Just caught up. This season has been fantastic on all fronts. Every episode brings something different to the table and the world building is amazing.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
show is firing on all cylinders - what a treat it is every week

artemis still the GOAT and i'm glad she remains a point of focus in the series

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
Man, just chiming in to say I'm absolutely loving this. Feels so good to watch Young Justicr again. Gonna keep my sub for this show alone.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Another good week, but definitely the weakest batch so far. Vandal Savage focus was great. Main Man's fight scene was killer. The show is so brutal, but yeah it is becoming a running joke with Halo's deaths. Episode 8 was okay but it went too far away from the core characters and I don't really care for Batfamily fan service.