• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
pklv2o65ohb21.png
Every episode of season 1 I swear.
Eh, screw the complaints about this, I love this trope. The light is one of the few villains that actually earns the claim of arch enemies, and it makes the conflicts more complex because victory and defeats aren't a binary. The Heroes can stop the light from wreaking direct havok AND the light can still get what it wants out of it.

If anything, it's kind of a smart in terms of a genre sense sort of way. It's like the Light knows it can't get away with huge large scale destruction plans, because if they somehow did, then that would escalate their threat level and heroes would come after them way harder. But if they are just advancing in small ways, the heroes would have an easier time stopping them. So they take the "Why not both?" option where they either use the large scale destruction plans they know will be stopped as a distraction while they do the actually useful stuff, or else they just plan around the loss so that they gain some other opportunity for it.

It makes them actually difficult to stop in a more interesting way than the more straightforward planning would. The only thing that's actually lost is the viewer satisfaction of the heroes having a total victory over the bad guys, which is a small loss imo. And it makes episodes like Summit when they actually ARE all stopped in every way possible funner.

So I wholeheartedly approve of every villain being Xanatos.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, screw the complaints about this, I love this trope. The light is one of the few villains that actually earns the claim of arch enemies, and it makes the conflicts more complex because victory and defeats aren't a binary. The Heroes can stop the light from wreaking direct havok AND the light can still get what it wants out of it.

If anything, it's kind of a smart in terms of a genre sense sort of way. It's like the Light knows it can't get away with huge large scale destruction plans, because if they somehow did, then that would escalate their threat level and heroes would come after them way harder. But if they are just advancing in small ways, the heroes would have an easier time stopping them. So they take the "Why not both?" option where they either use the large scale destruction plans they know will be stopped as a distraction while they do the actually useful stuff, or else they just plan around the loss so that they gain some other opportunity for it.

It makes them actually difficult to stop in a more interesting way than the more straightforward planning would. The only thing that's actually lost is the viewer satisfaction of the heroes having a total victory over the bad guys, which is a small loss imo. And it makes episodes like Summit when they actually ARE all stopped in every way possible funner.

So I wholeheartedly approve of every villain being Xanatos.
I don't think it was as much of complaint as it was funny pointing this out.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it was as much of complaint as it was funny pointing this out.
I know some people who had a legit problem with it, but if so, then yeah, excuse the (perhaps overly) defensiveness.

I just love this trope a lot and don't want to see people talk bad about it

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Somewhat related, but I started reading the Justice Society of America series that ran through much of the 2000s, and it is cool to see Artemis aka Tigress there, though appearing as a villain! Think it was a nice idea to modify the character and gave her a big role in YJ.

Tigress-DC-Comics-Artemis-Crock-Injustice-JSA-f.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
show is firing on all cylinders - what a treat it is every week

artemis still the GOAT and i'm glad she remains a point of focus in the series
How far we've come since the "who cares about this mystery arrow girl" days,
Honestly Cass Cain, Nightwing, etc I obviously like and care to see more by default but Artemis is easily my favorite part of this series.
'Tigress" identity has won me over as well.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Wait, people had issues with the Light back in the day? I thought that was always the best part. I love how they already know what they will gain by losing something, and I am pretty sure Lex already accounted for the League to have splinter cells. I can see him going for the whole, they need even more regulations, because look at them now, acting all vigilate and illegal because we set some rules for them.

Oct 25, 2017
There are a heap of references and character name-checks it's very hard to keep up.

Followed Greg W since the Gargoyles days, happy for him that this series is doing so well. What's with the Invasion/Outsiders subheading though? I've never understood the need for them.

Also liking the quiet, solemn end credits. Dynamic Music Partners are woefully under-appreciated still, they are knocking it out of the park as always.

Chuck

Oct 25, 2017
I just watched the first episode and man, the lower budget is kind of distracting. I've avoided reading posts in this thread because I assume you're doing open spoilers, but does it get better or not seem as distracting later on?

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Wihle I do think the light could stand to seem... whelmed at points. I do like is the scene with orm. Its like they seen the injustice video games and were like " None of that shit "

Me after the infnity island episode:

GPgZuNg.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
There are a heap of references and character name-checks it's very hard to keep up.

Followed Greg W since the Gargoyles days, happy for him that this series is doing so well. What's with the Invasion/Outsiders subheading though? I've never understood the need for them.

Also liking the quiet, solemn end credits. Dynamic Music Partners are woefully under-appreciated still, they are knocking it out of the park as always.

Outsiders is a different comic hero team and is what its referring to
Batman-Outsiders-1.png

Batman_and_the_Outsiders.jpg

Outsiders_v1_01.jpg

latest

Last edited:

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
It ain't happening bruh, every post I've found on there about the speed force is "powers coming from another dimension is dumb and makes the heroes unnecessarily weak and complicated"
What I'm saying is they could easily write a way to bring Wally back

I also said that's not Greg's style. Just that they could.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Anyone know if the Castlevania cartoon is getting good ratings?

Because between that and Young Justice, we could use more mature action cartoons. Lord knows that it's tiring that the only cartoons for an older audience are jank humor

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still waiting till we have a big fight with a lot of characters or just things happening on scene. I do think they're using more cost saving techniques that a lot of shows use but I'm not willing to say the animation is bad. Nothing has stood out save that one scene in episode 1 that was a flashback scene. I feel the show looks good and decent but not amazing and I figured it might not with so many episodes and they had to fight to get it back. I want to see if they're saving the budget in some episodes to make others toward the back half even better. This first half feels like a re-introduction and setup. I think the next half of the season could be more non-stop action.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
In a season where Khary Peyton is the va of all the black characters, he doesn't voice the guy who he voices regularly. Lmao