• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Ya'll claiming nepotism realize that it's likely she had to audition like everyone else, and while she may have more of a direct connection to an agent and such like that because of her parents, there's no fucking way that either of her parents have enough clout in Hollywood to pull a role through Disney. Clearly she's a budding talent.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's obvious why people keep going on about nepotism but it has little basis in fact.

Hollywood nepotism only works when the parents have pull with the studio or the producers and Disney and Kevin Feige don't give one single fuck about Paul WS Anderson or Milla Jovovich.
On the other hand, Sarah Finn Casting has worked on movies with Milla, so they know the people.

bshark

Banned
Jun 25, 2018
Unfortunately for the daughter, her family legacy is going to always follow her online (i.e. mom's bad acting, dad's irresponsible behavior while directing).

Vinx

Sep 9, 2019
On the other hand, Sarah Finn Casting has worked on movies with Milla, so they know the people.
So? The casting agency can get her in front of Kevin Feige but that's it.

She probably got the job because she can actually speak Russian not because of who get parents are.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I knew there was something familiar about her!
Loved her mom in The Fifth Element.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Hollywood nepotism only works when the parents have pull with the studio or the producers and Disney and Kevin Feige don't give one single fuck about Paul WS Anderson or Milla Jovovich.

Then why are the social media accounts making posts about the ties?

Yeah, it's obvious why people keep going on about nepotism but it has little basis in fact.

I mean I am only in this topic to point out that they allowed the stunt woman for Milla to have her arm ripped off becase Anderson made changes to the scene without telling her. Then promised to pay for the medical bills but never did for the woman taking risks in place of his wife. So advertising an actress as being related to someone that should not be in charge of any movies means some of us will bring up that fact. Hopefully they are not using this as a stepping board to get a MCU movie.

EDIT: Context for people that dont know.

www.resetera.com

Can we talk about Anderson maiming Olivia Jackson and killing Ricardo Cornelius while filming Resident Evil in the wake of his Monster Hunter movie?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/milla-jovovichs-resident-evil-stunt-double-olivia-jackson-crash-left-her-partially-paralyzed-1240608 https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/milla-jovovich-resident-evil-stunt-double-sues-producers-injury-1238888 And while looking all this up...

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Unfortunately for the daughter, her family legacy is going to always follow her online (i.e. mom's bad acting, dad's irresponsible behavior while directing).

That might be so, but it would be better if Era didn't contribute, then, to the toxic conversation around a kid. Lots of talk around here about reducing toxicity and so on, but the forum often devolves into lowest common denominator pettiness and inappropriate bullshit.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That might be so, but it would be better if Era didn't contribute, then, to the toxic conversation around a kid. Lots of talk around here about reducing toxicity and so on, but the forum often devolves into lowest common denominator pettiness and inappropriate bullshit.

I mean this is not a topic about how great of a child actor she is, its a topic made because Marvel put up a tweet about who her parents are. I am posting to make sure people know exactly the kind of person Paul is as his chances of directing a MCU film are not Zero.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
So? The casting agency can get her in front of Kevin Feige but that's it.

She probably got the job because she can actually speak Russian not because of who get parents are.
Which would still be nepotism. As I have shown earlier, that doesn't say anything about quality. it is just that her parents make it easier to get to the right place to show that quality. Considering that her next role is the actual lead in a Disney movie, Disney at least believes she has the quality.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
I mean this is not a topic about how great of a child actor she is, its a topic made because Marvel put up a tweet about who her parents are. I am posting to make sure people know exactly the kind of person Paul is as his chances of directing a MCU film are not Zero.

Make a separate topic if it's important for you to make sure Anderson doesn't direct a MCU film (that was never going to happen anyway and I'm not sure of the impact of Era threads on that decision, but, yeah). Otherwise, I don't agree that using this child as an occasion to discuss her father's sins is necessary.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ohhh that makes sense, she looked familiar but couldn't place how.

Also good for her, she did a good job on her performance :)

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
even without the stunt deaths and injuries, Anderson would still have zero chances of ever directing an MCU movie. He is a talentless director, and Marvel is never going to bother with him when they have oscar winners lined up to work with them.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
even without the stunt deaths and injuries, Anderson would still have zero chances of ever directing an MCU movie. He is a talentless director, and Marvel is never going to bother with him when they have oscar winners lined up to work with them.

Hope so, call me a pessimist.

Oct 22, 2020
Marvel went for some established directors early on like Jon Favreau, Joe Johnston, Kenneth Brannagh, and Joss Whedon, but basically everyone on their current directorial roster came from offbeat low-budget/independent movies.

There is absolutely nothing appealing about someone like Anderson. He's an artless trash peddler.

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ya'll claiming nepotism realize that it's likely she had to audition like everyone else, and while she may have more of a direct connection to an agent and such like that because of her parents, there's no fucking way that either of her parents have enough clout in Hollywood to pull a role through Disney. Clearly she's a budding talent.

People just say this stuff cause Paul keeps making movies with Milla in lead roles....
I liked her initially in fifth element and the first RE movie, but it's all downhill from there. I just cannot watch a movie directed by Paul W.S Anderson with Mila J in a lead role.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com

yeah they'll just get more nobodies to direct their movies one time then kick them to the curb. Paul WS Anderson is too good for that.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
To all the people claiming "Hollywood is full if nepotism!", you guys realize this is everywhere and how a large part of the world works, right?
From the small familly owned business "&sons" to the brand new pop star whose parents, by pure councidence, are a record producer and a vocal coach.

Dec 12, 2017
It's kind of wild to see people hand wave nepotism as if it doesn't have a generational impact of marginalized artists. To say that "so what that's Hollywood" as if that justifies looking the other way is ridiculous. Anyways, the real point is, with Anderson's filmography, it's not nuts to think that nepotism played a role for his daughter getting the role.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, the kid have that "she looks familiar but i can't put my finger as to who" look with her. Good to know she's Millas' daughter.

Oct 25, 2017
I think nepotism in artistic talent jobs like acting and singing is actually significantly less egregious than the nepotism that happens in normal work forces. No matter how much nepotism helps an actor get a job or a singer get a record label, if they suck they will still suck and people will know, it will affect the kind of jobs they are able to get even if their connection keeps them in the door for some work.

Meanwhile, when someone in an office or something rises to a higher up position because their dad owns the company, and they suck, this person is going to be a terrible manager ruining workers days for as long as they want, and no one will really know outside of the direct workforce they interact with. This also in general touches on the fact that nepotism in many industries helps people rise to levels of authority, but its not really the same in artistic industries as often. No singer whose parents helped them land a record deal is going to be in a significant position of authority over other up and coming singers the same way.
Good point, hadn't thought of it this way