• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To take this out of the 2020 thread.

For some background: The Young Turks (a widely watched YouTube channel) searched the personal Facebook and other social media of anyone who asked Bernie a tough question in a recent CNN Town Hall (in what looks like a search to dig up potential dirt on the questioners). In this search, they found that CNN did not properly reveal what their careers were and then posted screencaps of their Facebook profiles and other social media accounts on their Youtube show.

One of those was this young college student who asked about his response to sexual harassment issues in his campaign.

American University student faces backlash over question raised to Sen. Sanders during town hall.
http://www.fox5dc.com/news/american...-sen-bernie-sanders-question-during-town-hall

"As we saw in the 2018 midterms the Democratic Party has become more female, more racially diverse and younger in age. How can a voter like me feel confident in your ability to represent the party especially given that your response to sexual harassment allegations during your campaign is that you were quote, 'a little bit busy running around the country trying to make the case to be elected as president'?" Nasab asked Sanders.
Moments after Nasab asked that question, FOX 5 learned that several threats online were directed toward her, which forced her to delete all of her social media accounts. We also confirmed that Nasab spoke with the American University Police Department shortly after.

Sadly you are seeing a number of people online excuse the harassment/doxxing of this woman and the others who asked tough questions because it resulted in uncovering that CNN was not accurate in stating what their jobs are.

Bernie, to his credit, has called out his supporters acting out in this way and asked them to stop (which sadly does not seem to be working as this case shows).

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Getting harassed, for calling out harassment.
Has a sick irony to it.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At least Bernie is actually saying something. The question remains - who's actually driving the momentum of the Bernie thing? Bernie or his online following? He lost control of it completely in 2016. Let's see if he can wrangle it back this year before it turns into another serious and unhelpful division.

And the fake Bernie Bros and Channers are all still at it with overseas encouragement.

"Oh not the Russia shit again call me when there's a LICK of proof"

Posts investigation results that Bernie himself has conceded occurred.: https://www.vpr.org/post/how-russian-social-media-effort-boosted-bernie#stream/0

"Pffft that's not proof and even if it was Hillary owned herself anyway la la la"

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I feel like the term "Bernie Bros" has become multi-faceted.

- During the campaign, Bernie fans were frequently douchebags on social media regarding their candidate - including doxxing and harassment efforts. This happened.

- Russian networks also spread rumors of Bernie voters who flipped sides to Trump in November. This did not happen in any statistically significant manner, and only existed to divide liberal voters after the election.

Both were referred to as Bernie Bros.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love a good faith anti Bernie post
We can't call out people doxxing and harassing a young woman to the point she had to go to the police all just because she asked Bernie a tough question about sexual harrasment?

I even made sure to note in the OP that Bernie himself has asked his supporters to stop this behavior of online bullying (which they are clearly ignoring given this story) to make it clear this is about his supporters who harassed her not Bernie himself but alright.

Last edited:

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Internet people man, they do stupid things. Maybe TYT should have just said who she really worked for without showing her name. Also I don't think it's just because she asked a question, from what I saw it was most likely because some of the people that asked questions in that CNN town hall were given titles that didn't really represent them like student, or non profit worker when it was much different such as works for lobbyist firm, or own some pr business.

Still not okay to harass people over it, but probably better to question CNN to make sure stuff like this is prevented. Maybe CNN had no idea, and these type of organizations just know how to get their people picked to ask questions (most likely).

Last edited:

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Should have taken the reigns and pulled his crowd in back in 2016 instead of egging them on right up to the convention.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Was this the same CNN town hall where some of the people asking Bernie questions turned out to be interns at lobbyist groups, and where the person they called "a former biology professor" on-screen is actually a current county chair for the DNC?

OP
OP

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Very telling that cheebo doesn't include the video in the OP

https://youtu.be/g9AiH_IsjDU
Because they share the actual screengrabs of her Facebook account in the video. That is the video where they doxxed her and excused it due it really being about "ethics in journalism" because their doxxing uncovered CNN didnt properly give her I am not going to help them in their doxxing of her. And its very irresponsible for you to do their dirty work and help spread the doxxing of her that TYT did.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TYT is the breitbart of the left

TYT has some hosts that hold positions I disagree with, but on a daily basis Breitbart articles espouse:

-racism
-sexism
-transphobia
-Islamophobia
-demonizing of the poor
-jingoism

And on a regular basis Breitbart tiptoes around advocating for direct violence against minority groups.

TYT... isn't even on the same plane.

We can be critical of media on the left without resorting to bullshit hyperbolic comparisons.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
Because they share the actual screengrabs of her Facebook account in the video. I am not going to help them in their doxxing of her. And its very irresponsible for you to do their dirty work and help spread the doxxing of her that TYT did.
You realize that CNN showed her full name etc. it doesn't take a genius to find her Facebook profile.

Harassers are piece of shits but you're just trying to find any way to shit on progressives.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
TYT has some hosts that hold positions I disagree with, but on a daily basis Breitbart articles espouse:

-racism
-sexism
-transphobia
-Islamophobia
-demonizing of the poor
-jingoism

And on a regular basis Breitbart tiptoes around advocating for direct violence against minority groups.

TYT... isn't even on the same plane.

We can be critical of media on the left without resorting to bullshit hyperbolic comparisons.
This isn't how analogies work.

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep
Because they share the actual screengrabs of her Facebook account in the video. I am not going to help them in their doxxing of her. And its very irresponsible for you to do their dirty work and help spread the doxxing of her that TYT did.

You literally did this in the primary thread yesterday.

This isn't how analogies work.

I mean it can be. Otherwise you're basically saying there's no way to argue against analogies. And since this site has no problem banning people for false analogies clearly that must be somehow possible.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
you... literally posted an image containing their profiles yesterday. Like, have some self-awareness.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Was this the same CNN town hall where some of the people asking Bernie questions turned out to be interns at lobbyist groups, and where the person they called "a former biology professor" on-screen is actually a current county chair for the DNC?

The woman being harassed interns while in college in DC.

Hardly corruption or whatever you want to claim to obfuscate what's happening to her

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
  1. No one should be harassed over what was a fair question.
  2. TYT should have been more mindful of signal-boosting these participants' real names (although CNN ran them too, but still, be responsible!). TYT should be held accountable for this.
  3. CNN should have disclosed that some of the audience had ties to the Democratic Party. This has been an ongoing issue with CNN. They are a shit news outlet and also need to be held accountable for this.

Piecake

Oct 27, 2017
You realize that CNN showed her full name etc. it doesn't take a genius to find her Facebook profile.

Harassers are piece of shits but you're just trying to find any way to shit on progressives.

If you don't think a news channel questioning the credibility and motives of the people who were asking the questions and posting parts of their facebook page does not significantly increase the chance of someone going out and doxxing that person, then I really don't know what to tell you

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
Just gonna copy/paste my post from the last thread.

Doxxing, by definition, is the public, online release of private information like cell phone numbers, home addresses, and place of work by a 3rd party. Someone's Facebook makes some of that information publicly available, but the fun thing about being a journalist, is that finding people's social media is just considered good journalism. This is not doxxing, but it is unnecessarily invasive.

We should get rid of social media.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure it is. You can't show info like this to internet people, they will do what some of them do. Should have just showed who she worked for, blurred her name, and if asked for proof by, I don't know, CNN or some legal firm then give them her name and why you reported she actually worked for the group.

This is probably a good learning situation when it comes to internet, and trolls. Do not do these kind of things for companies if you don't want to be all over the internet, even homeless people standing in lines for lobbyists. Also maybe don't show the name of the people other groups use as a shield or pawn. Since that other guy owned his own business though, I guess he knew what he was in for. Still not ok, but you can't stop the anonymous internet with almost anything.

Chindogg

Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
  1. No one should be harassed over what was a fair question.
  2. TYT should have been more mindful of signal-boosting these participants' real names (although CNN ran them too, but still, be responsible!). TYT should be held accountable for this.
  3. CNN should have disclosed that some of the audience had ties to the Democratic Party. This has been an ongoing issue with CNN. They are a shit news outlet and also need to be held accountable for this.

This is where I'm at. People are fucking terrible and shouldn't be attacking someone for asking a fair question. TYT fucked up in boosting the personal info of said person, and CNN should have been more transparent in who was at the town hall as well as protecting the identities of the people at the town hall.

Bungled at all angles here.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Analogies are comparisons of analogous things. It's literally the root word. Saying X is the Y of the Z does not mean X does the same things that Y does. You don't invalidate an analogy by saying 'X does these things, Y does not' when those things are not generally things that Z values.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At least Bernie is actually saying something. The question remains - who's actually driving the momentum of the Bernie thing? Bernie or his online following? He lost control of it completely in 2016. Let's see if he can wrangle it back this year before it turns into another serious and unhelpful division.

And the fake Bernie Bros and Channers are all still at it with overseas encouragement.

"Oh not the Russia shit again call me when there's a LICK of proof"

Posts investigation results that Bernie himself has conceded occurred.: https://www.vpr.org/post/how-russian-social-media-effort-boosted-bernie#stream/0

"Pffft that's not proof and even if it was Hillary owned herself anyway la la la"

I feel that much of Bernie's widely distributed support base from several years ago has been grabbed by many younger and more diverse candidates. This leaves only his most hardcore supporters of whom I think there is an unsavory element that is both ardently Bernie and while also incredibly defensive of his far less assured path to success and much stronger competition.

Deleted member 22490

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just gonna copy/paste my post from the last thread.

Doxxing, by definition, is the public, online release of private information like cell phone numbers, home addresses, and place of work by a 3rd party. Someone's Facebook makes some of that information publicly available, but the fun thing about being a journalist, is that finding people's social media is just considered good journalism. This is not doxxing, but it is unnecessarily invasive.

We should get rid of social media.
Get out of my head Charles!

And they were fair questions. Some Bernie supporters are blowing this well out of proportion and those who are harassing the questioners are shitheads.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
This is where I'm at. People are fucking terrible and shouldn't be attacking someone for asking a fair question. TYT fucked up in boosting the personal info of said person, and CNN should have been more transparent in who was at the town hall as well as protecting the identities of the people at the town hall.

Bungled at all angles here.
CNN posted the personal information.

TYT did post the Facebook profile.

Everyone kinda fucked up here. But mostly the harassers.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I'm pretty sure it is. You can't show info like this to internet people, they will do what some of them do. Should have just showed who she worked for, blurred her name, and if asked for proof by, I don't know, CNN or some legal firm then give them her name and why you reported she actually worked for the group.

This is probably a good learning situation when it comes to internet, and trolls. Do not do these kind of things for companies if you don't want to be all over the internet, even homeless people standing in lines for lobbyists. Also maybe don't show the name of the people other groups use as a shield or pawn. Since that other guy owned his own business though, I guess he knew what he was in for. Still not ok, but you can't stop the anonymous internet with almost anything.
I agree they shouldn't have put people's actual info, but it seems like the titles they used were intentionally misleading or at minimum, written to conceal that the question askers had strong political affiliations. If you're something like a county chair of a political party, that should definitely be disclosed

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep
A guy on GAF tried to do the exact same thing to me in 2015, but I don't run around saying everyone, or even a sizeable number of people, who supported Hillary were Hillary bros trying to harass everyone. Shitty people exist, but I'm not seeing how we can get to a generalization outside of political usefulness.

Oct 30, 2017
User Banned (1 month): Spreading information related to other personal identities
This one?

MOD EDIT: Removed personal information

Last edited by a moderator:

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
A guy on GAF tried to do the exact same thing to me in 2015, but I don't run around saying everyone, or even a sizeable number of people, who supported Hillary were Hillary bros trying to harass everyone. Shitty people exist, but I'm not seeing how we can get to a generalization outside of political usefulness.
"Let me just ignore the context of this having been a regular occurence in 2016 to the point of there being several news stories about it."

Status
Not open for further replies.