• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
His recent fundraising effort – which eclipsed everyone else including Harris – suggests otherwise.

I have no idea if Bernie will get the nomination because this primary is going to be much tougher given the more progressive leanings of the party (which, ironically, Bernie is largely credited for inspiring) but regardless of what happens he is going to be a very important figure in terms of influence and campaigning, even if he doesn't cinch the nom personally.

That's my personal opinion anyways.
I really don't think this is accurate. The polling and campaign donations so far aren't really playing out that way. We'll see as time goes on, but supposedly something like 40% of his donations this time so far have been from new first time donors that were not on his email list.

I think you both understood my point. I'm not talking a numbers game but that he isn't the only progressive name out there, far from it. Many of his positions and talking points are being shared by younger, more diverse nominees. He's no longer the singular Golden Goose of progressive ideals and I think that threatens a very specific part of his base who react in the worst way possible in response.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I don't know how to concretely point out who these people are and why this is an issue while also keeping their information private. I don't agree with harassment. It's really disappointing that people are doing this. But I also don't think the above going unnoticed is right either.
Bingo, people are intentionally zooming in and reframing it to obfuscate dealing with the fact that CNN very clearly didn't want people to know these peoples direct political affiliations. Why can't that be acknowledged AND say that the harassment stuff is awful horse shit that should be condemned?

OP
OP

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda important context to have seeing TYT is being blamed on this.
Nothing about what CNN did excuses stalking this woman on social media and posting screencaps of her social media on a widely watched platform. They doxxed her, CNN not showing her career is irrelevant to the doxxing.

This woman was HARRASED and had to go to the police. How is CNN being misleading important context? How does that excuse the doxxing whatsoever? This is about this woman getting harassed online. There is no relevant context to explain away that.

Excusing the doxxing with CNN being misleading is textbook "its about ethics in journalism" excusing.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Two of those, the bottom two, are a blatant misrepresentation of who the people are though. They are students at those schools. They don't work for the lobbying firms, they're interns there. You know, generally unpaid, getting coffee, lucky to do anything that resembles actual work.
You don't think it should be disclosed that they were interns at lobbying firms? Ummmmm ok

I myself would like to know that info because it could play into an obvious bias or motivation.

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
I think Bernie's biggest issue is that it's gonna be really easy to bait his fans into becoming gamergate-like. Like, we're definitely not there yet. But it's easy to see that there's a (well-earned this time) mistrust in journalism and that shit doesn't lead to good things.

Oct 27, 2017
To be clear I believe the allegations, I just resent the sad attempt at connecting it to some larger narrative about so-called "Bernie bros" or implying that those darn "bros" are behind this
Hey, maybe start with that instead of having a first post that amounts to "FAKE NEWS!"

Gonna quote myself from yesterday

Bernie needs to cut ties with TYT, they aren't doing him any favors with this shit.
Agreed.

And it sucks because Bernie tried to preempt this, but the loonier of his fanbase clearly can't be contained. He needs to hold organizations that weaponize these people accountable.

ValiantChaos

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing about what CNN did excuses stalking this woman on social media and posting screencaps of her social media on a widely watched platform. They doxxed her, CNN not showing her career is irrelevant to the doxxing.

This woman was HARRASED and how to go to the police. How is CNN being misleading important context? How does that excuse the doxxing whatsoever? This is about this woman getting harassed online. There is no relevant context to explain away that.

Excusing the doxxing with CNN being miseleading is textbook "its about ethics in journalism" excusing.

Bingo

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I think you both understood my point. I'm not talking a numbers game but that he isn't the only progressive name out there, far from it. Many of his positions and talking points are being shared by younger, more diverse nominees. He's no longer the singular Golden Goose of progressive ideals and I think that threatens a very specific part of his base who react in the worst way possible in response.
I understand the sentiment but we are both saying so far your premise hasn't played out it's not accurate as a narrative in the current moment, but we won't truly know until the primaries are over.

Last edited:

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
The girl in question had her LinkedIn page screen capped and posted, which contained both her place of work and her school. Even by your deliberately doxxing-permissive stance, that is doxxing.
If it were shared on K*w*Fa*ms or Reddit or if it were concentrated in any way, then yeah, I'd agree with you. Doxxing requires coordination and from what I'm seeing, these are mostly isolated persons and not entire subreddits. If there's a subreddit or a gab or whatever shitheads use to coordinate harassment campaigns these days, please find me something, but I think you'll find that these "fans" are noticeably different from the people who actually show up at his rallies.

People googling your name when you're a private figure (a classmate, a co-worker, a neighbor) is internet stalking (we have now commodified this in the forms of Facebook, LinkedIn, and NextDoor respectively), harassment is a dangerous extension of that. But if you occupy a public position in any way (like DNC worker) and have social media, you do open yourself to a greater world where variable elements can hurt you, but it's not part of some planned campaign. Doxxing is a separate, if similar crime.

Last edited:

Tomohawk

Oct 27, 2017
The girl in question had her LinkedIn page screen capped and posted, which contained both her place of work and her school. Even by your deliberately doxxing-permissive stance, that is doxxing.
The school was mentioned in the town hall and her place of work is the whole point of the story.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This should be in the OP or else it comes off as bad faith.
Because its "about ethics in journalism"? That CNN being misleading makes TYT doxxing her somehow more ok?

CNN could have made a blatant lie about her career rather than just leaving it out and it still wouldn't make doxxing her okay!

There is no such thing as "context" fo doxxing.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I understand the sentiment but we are both saying so far your premise hasn't played out it's bit accurate as a narrative in the current moment, but we won't truly know until the primaries are over.

Hasn't played out? It's playing out as we speak in terms of his already known competition and those who could still step into the race.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TYT... isn't even on the same plane.

We can be critical of media on the left without resorting to bullshit hyperbolic comparisons.
TYT is still terrible and unreliable and untrustworhy.
The Hilly Bros just want to put on the blinders and ignore the frontrunner

He would have won in 2016, too.
No he would have lost, I don't give a shit about the fundraising numbers he's putting up. If he wins the primary he will lose but he's not going to win the primary and he's going to lose badly in it as well.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's not go that far. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
Even if she was a Republican doxxing a young college student on a widely watched platform is not okay.

People trying to explain away or claim it is important context that CNN was misleading are repeating word for word Gamergate talking points where they always claimed the doxxing was unintended, that they really were focused on ethics in gaming journalism.

There is literally nothing CNN could have done that would have somehow made it relevant context to make the doxxing done to this young woman any less awful.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Also... if the question is relevant, the fuuuuuuuck does it matter? Jesus fuck BernieBros

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because its "about ethics in journalism"? That CNN being misleading makes TYT doxxing her somehow more ok?

CNN could have made a blatant lie about her career rather than just leaving it out and it still wouldn't make doxxing her okay!

There is no such thing as "context" fo doxxing.
Your post made the video sound worse than it was. Post the vid.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry to be so direct but are you actually this obtuse?
Re
So because something can be seen as kind of analogous to racism, we should ignore that the DNC and TV Networks are trying to make the front-running candidate to oppose Trump look bad and instead focus on how the people who were planted are being harassed...

Intentional political misrepresentations to the public by the TV networks is some 1984 shit. They're supposed to be better than FOX News.
Jesus Christ

Firstly: THAT HAS SHIT FUCKING ALL TO DO WITH THESE PEOPLE HARASSING THIS WOMAN GET YOUR FUCKING PRIORITIES STRAIGHT!

Secondly: What's your conspiracy theory here? The DNC, with its legendary control over CNN and its chyrons, engineered it so the most politically minded folks in DC happened to work in politics. Because we all know how unlikely THAT is.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think you both understood my point. I'm not talking a numbers game but that he isn't the only progressive name out there, far from it. Many of his positions and talking points are being shared by younger, more diverse nominees. He's no longer the singular Golden Goose of progressive ideals and I think that threatens a very specific part of his base.

I mean, I get your point but for now I think that's more speculation than anything concrete.

That said, it's not a baseless theory by any means.

The thing about Bernie is that because of his Independent status, some progressives - the extreme Left who outright loathe the Democratic Party and equate them to the GOP - tend to view him as a sacred cow because they feel he is outside the system.

The irony in that thinking is that Bernie himself explained his Independent status at the CNN Town Hall and made it very clear he is part of the Democratic Party machinery.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Your post made the video sound worse than it was. Post the vid.
Stop pretending like there is context to doxxing, that somehow it makes doxxing not as bad. This thread is not about CNN.

They doxxed a woman. What CNN did is completely irrelevant and you are bringing this up purely to deflect from the fact this woman was intensely harassed to the point the police had to get involved.

You are using the gamergate textbook to a tee.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This woman was HARRASED and had to go to the police. How is CNN being misleading important context? How does that excuse the doxxing whatsoever? This is about this woman getting harassed online. There is no relevant context to explain away that.

Excusing the doxxing with CNN being misleading is textbook "its about ethics in journalism" excusing.

First of all, the names and occupations of these people were provided by CNN. So if anyone doxxed these people, it's CNN. TYT giving more specifics on who these people really are, by using the information CNN provided I don't consider to be doxxing.

And secondly, what I meant with the video giving important context is that TYT in the video clearly states these questions were all fair, and there's nothing wrong with them, and mentioning multiple times not to harass or assume the worst for these people.

Without that context we have people here equating TYT to Breitbart and the likes.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Re

Jesus Christ

Firstly: THAT HAS SHIT FUCKING ALL TO DO WITH THESE PEOPLE HARASSING THIS WOMAN GET YOUR FUCKING PRIORITIES STRAIGHT!

Secondly: What's your conspiracy theory here? The DNC, with its legendary control over CNN and its chyrons, engineered it so the most politically minded folks in DC happened to work in politics. Because we all know how unlikely THAT is.
The DNC has a history of actions in bad faith towards Bernie

See: 2016

Clipjoint

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone harassing these people is fucked up. Period. They should be left alone, they did nothing wrong.

Separately, they weren't "Doxxed" by TYT. CNN posted their full names, face, and "occupation" or university. TYT posted their ties to the Democratic party or lobbyists as a criticism against CNN for obfuscating - a 100% valid criticism. It completely defeats the purpose of a townhall if you stack the audience with insiders instead of regular everyday citizens. If CNN is going to have DC insiders ask questions, they may as well just have the host do it and end the charade. What TYT did is valid journalism, they did not post the links to anyone's social media, and they explicitly asked their audience to leave these people alone.

Anyone who wanted to find them and harass them would just need to type their names into Facebook. Blame the assholes who don't know how to set boundaries, and blame the social media platforms for making it so easy to harass anyone just based on having their name. Don't blame the journalists for doing journalism.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The vid that doxxes her you mean.
Bingo.

The idea that CNN being misleading is somehow relevant context, or makes the doxxing less bad is fucking absurd and the tactic GamerGate always pulled.

A young college student had her personal social media info blasted on a widely watched YouTube channel. She was harassed and had to shut down all her accounts and go to the police. It doesn't matter *WHY* they doxxed her to go after CNN, what matters is they doxxed her and made her life a living hell this past week.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bernie or his imaginary Bros have nothing to do with this. She's being harassed because she's an Arab/Muslim woman and asked about sexual harrassment. Young Turks or Bernie have nothing to do with her harassment. It could have been any town hall for any party and she would still be harassed because she's a "Muzlin who doesn't know her place."

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Bingo.

The idea that CNN being misleading is somehow relevant context, or makes the doxxing less bad is fucking absurd and the tactic GamerGate always pulled.

A young college student had her personal social media info blasted on a widely watched YouTube channel. She was harassed and had to shut down all her accounts and go to the police. It doesn't matter *WHY* they doxxed her to go after CNN, what matters is they doxxed her and made her life a living hell this past week.

The idea that her internship is somehow relevant to the question asked is fucking baffling as well. Shock and fuckin' awe a college student in DC is interning at a lobbying firm stop the god damned presses.

Oct 27, 2017
In case this is not clear, from the ResetEra FAQ:

"Hate speech, bullying, harassment and doxing: We have a zero-tolerance policy on hate speech, bullying, harassment and doxing. Any users found to be involved in this behaviour will be banned. "

Tomohawk

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I agree that the story is founded on doxxing her.
... Come on I agree that she shouldn't be harassed, but your literally arguing right now that every story disclosing relevant background on an individual is doxxxing. Why were none of yall raising a fuss when CNN pulled the same stunt with republicans and there jobs were being exposed.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
So now we have at thread full of people almost copy and pasting the excuses gamergaters did to dox people.

Status
Not open for further replies.