• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I see Bernie Sanders is already being painted as the actual victim of this woman getting harassed good good.. yes yes let's make this about the DNC and shit.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
Bernie or his imaginary Bros have nothing to do with this. She's being harassed because she's an Arab/Muslim woman and asked about sexual harrassment. Young Turks or Bernie have nothing to do with her harassment. It could have been any town hall for any party and she would still be harassed because she's a "Muzlin who doesn't know her place."

MAGAheads are the new Russian bots

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cheebo you need to post the Young Turks video in OP, please. Many of us, myself including, haven't seen it, and it is germane to this topic.

1st thing: Not my analogy.

2nd thing: Saying 'they can't be the Breitbart of the left because they don't spout rightwing talking points' is flatly not understanding how an analogy works.

You are misconstruing what I said, or simply missing the point.

How are The Young Turks equivalent to Breitbart News, an organization that regularly dehumanizes, and excuses or even advocates violence towards, minorities and women?

The analogy is without any sort of value. Criticism is valid. Baseless analogies, on the other hand, don't add anything to the discussion.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Also I love that merely interning at a lobby group (interns are not power brokers) while being a university student in DC now makes you not a normal person

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
A pattern of relevant and tough questions asked of a primary candidate oh noooo
No a pattern of CNN not disclosing the true professions of multiple people asking questions.

So a question of about something that was literally in the news a month ago about Bernie's campaign is a pattern?

Are you seriously going down that gamergater route?
Read above. And pleas keep trying to make the gamergate thing stick.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
... Come on I agree that she shouldn't be harassed, but your literally arguing right now that every story disclosing relevant background on an individual is doxxxing. Why were none of yall raising a fuss when CNN pulled the same stunt with republicans and there jobs were being exposed.

I wrote a whole post about the differences there in the primary thread

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
I see Bernie Sanders is already being painted as the actual victim of this woman getting harassed good good.. yes yes let's make this about the DNC and shit.
The goal of this thread is to demean his supporters and push the "Bernie Bro" narrative while conveniently forgetting to mention that there are bad actors on all side not just Bernie's.

I'm not sure why the term isn't banned yet.

Phrozenflame500

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Frankly if you don't disclose the complete employment history of every college student at these townhalls you're basically fake news tbh

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
No a pattern of CNN not disclosing the true professions of multiple people asking questions.

Read above. And pleas keep trying to make the gamergate thing stick.
Is anyone in this thread saying it's okay to harrass these people?

Making excuses and shifting to CNN instead of the woman's harassment is making excuses and/or condoning it.

Shifting to "CNN's Ethics' when discussing her harassment is litealy textbook Gamergater strategy.

You might not see it, but it was literally what occured when women in the game's industry were getting harassment and death threats.

Oct 27, 2017
Is anyone in this thread saying it's okay to harrass these people?

Only those who are assuming they know someone's true motivations based on little evidence.

The goal of this thread is to demean his supporters and push the "Bernie Bro" narrative while conveniently forgetting to mention that there are bad actors on all side not just Bernie's.

Good catch.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Hasn't played out? It's playing out as we speak in terms of his already known competition and those who could still step into the race.
And yet he is still wildly outpacing in donations in raw dollars and the number of recurring donations... proof is in the pudding. You are expressing a feeling about a political instinct rather than what is actually happening.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

Ya'll can barely lift a finger in this thread to acknowledge the harassment and you want me to feel bad because you think you're being maligned?

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, this is 100% on TYT, they remain awful and have been for years.

I am aghast that anyone is on here even tangentially defending them or asking to have the video posted however.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here's another analogy for y'all.

You remind me of white folks who, when some racist piece of shit does something racist, instead of castigating the racist with the understanding that the group of white folks that that racist sack of shit is being associated doesn't include them if they aren't also racist sacks of shit, instead fight against the notion that there is a larger problem that should be addressed because they feel that what they have in common with the racist sack of shit means they are also being talked about.

Which just makes them look like they are since their entire focus is on defending the group instead of commiserating with the victims.

You don't have to associate yourself with these assholes just because you like Sanders. But pretending these assholes don't exist and trying to fend off castigations of these asshiles has the effect of making you look like you're one of them.

So maybe try and not do that, yeah?
It's naive folly, at best, and disingenuous, at worst, to pretend commentary about a group of people isn't meant to impart judgment to the larger group of people in the specific instance when there's an unwillingness to qualify one's commentary and, on top of that, a defensiveness about the need to do so.

The thread is getting its intended responses:
The return of the bros.

Fucking sigh.
Sounds like typical Bernie supporters to me.

The bolded reveals the intent behind defensiveness over a need to qualify language: it's a thinly-veiled dodge around personal attacks to put forth the association without making it directly. It's not nearly as clever a rhetorical trick as people think, but it's effective all the same.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
And yet he is still wildly outpacing in donations in raw dollars and the number of recurring donations... proof is in the pudding. You are expressing a feeling about a political instinct rather than what is actually happening.

And yet again I'm not talking about donations but his actual competition that he will be facing and how he is no longer unique as he used to be and how that can rankle the worst elements that support him to the point they lash out.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Also I love that merely interning at a lobby group (interns are not power brokers) while being a university student in DC now makes you not a normal person

This occurred in the primary thread as well.

Now the strategy is to de-humanize her, she isn't a normal American, she is a dirty intern in DC.

You heard it hear folks Bernie supporters are like Alex Jones and infowars now. SMH
are you seriously going to defend the rherotic about labeling her not a normal American as something that isn't right wing rhetoric?

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Politics in the age of the internet and social media have become dangerous.

This story is the kind of thing that makes me not want to get involved politically outside of showing up on election day and voting.

Free speech, like asking tough questions of political candidates shouldn't be met with threats of violence. That's the antithesis of free speech. It's problematic that platform that gives people a medium for free speech (social media) has been weaponized into a tool to stifel and threaten free speech, effectively shutting it down.

Last edited:

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Ya'll can barely lift a finger in this thread to acknowledge the harassment and you want me to feel bad because you think you're being maligned?
I have written multiple lengthy posts about this and no one is exonerating the harassers because they ARE bad actors.

What should also be stressed, which the OP did not, is that it's absolutely unfair to paint Bernie supporters with the same brush.

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep
Making excuses and shifting to CNN instead of the woman's harassment is making excuses and/or condoning it.

Shifting to "CNN's Ethics' when discussing her harassment is litealy textbook Gamergater strategy.

You might not see it, but it was literally what occured when women in the game's industry were getting harassment and death threats.

Nah, I personally have no interest in what CNN or the Young Turks did because I have no interest in getting my news from audio-visual media. Harassing this woman was wrong. I think everyone in this thread is pretty clearly on that side. It's incredibly unclear to how people are getting anywhere else on the subject from this conversation.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW

"Bernie Bro" is a dogwhistle at this point

Yeah I'm sure it's not relevant at all. And "former biology teacher" is an accurate description of the current chair of the Baltimore County Democratic Party.
I mean don't you just assume every former teacher is a political player?

Tomohawk

Oct 27, 2017

You can blame both harassers and CNN for not doing their due diligence.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I'm sure it's not relevant at all. And "former biology teacher" is an accurate description of the current chair of the Baltimore County Democratic Party.

It... absolutely is? If they are a former biology teacher?

What relevance does their current political activity have to the questions being asked?

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
I don't really get what's wrong with people affiliated with the Democratic party asking tough questions of a Democratic candidate. Would the outrage be more or less if they were serving him up alley oops? Is this like 2016 where anything Democrats did to inconvenience Bernie was framed as corruption and election rigging while he was competing in an election against other democrats?

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't really get what's wrong with people affiliated with the Democratic party asking tough questions of a Democratic candidate. Would the outrage be more or less if they were serving him up alley oops? Is this like 2016 where anything Democrats did to inconvenience Bernie was framed as corruption and election rigging while he was competing in an election against other democrats?

No TYT just wanted to know what their real motivations were so that they could dismiss the questions out of hand

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
This occurred in the primary thread as well.

Now the strategy is to de-humanize her, she isn't a normal American, she is a dirty intern in DC.

are you seriously going to defend the rherotic about labeling her not a normal American as something that isn't right wing rhetoric?
A separation between the political class and the working class is NOT a right wing talking point. I don't know what to tell you if that is a foreign concept to you.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna

It's because the dnc (not the party) has a history with antagonizing Bernie.

Status
Not open for further replies.