• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
ERA is the first place to tell you that DC is majority black, poor and disenfranchised but when a DC town hall is packed to the gills with DNC members and lobbyists suddenly the tune changes to "Oh well why are we surprised that people in DC are involved in politics?"

Right on cue
I mean, one of those not preclude the other so I'm not sure what your point is. 38% of D.C. residents work for the government. That doesn't include lobbying firms. So more than half of D.C. residents are involved in politics as a profession.

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I do think it's a fair response to expect more out of CNN in the future... however, that's such a fucking small piece of this it is SHOCKING to me that people have grasped onto it as if THAT is the real story here.

The real story is that TYT doxxed a young woman because she had the audacity to ask a tough question of their lord and savior.

Well that is ONE narrative for this.

Clipjoint

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One more point that is being lost here - the OP makes it seem like the TYT segment is what led to the harassment. If you read the CNN article, here's what happened:

Moments after Nasab asked that question, FOX 5 learned that several threats online were directed toward her, which forced her to delete all of her social media accounts. We also confirmed that Nasab spoke with the American University Police Department shortly after.

So the harassment towards her began as soon as her question aired on CNN, which posted her name, face, and university - NOT when TYT posted the video. TYT didn't post anyone's social media information, they didn't link to anyone's accounts or screenshot them. This was a bunch of assholes who looked her up on social media and harassed her themselves. It has nothing to do with TYT.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
This woman was a student

She was presented as a student

It's y'all who have decided she's a political agent.
Again. She wasn't the only one that was misrepresented by CNN. That's a problem.

It's also a problem that she has become the target of some idiots, rather than people criticizing CNN.

You guys are so focused on only representing a part of the picture. It makes you sound disingenuous. Can we at least admit that CNN should have been more forthright about the roles of the people asking the questions?

We can walk and chew gum at the same time.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
No one, not even TYT which this thread is about, is arguing that the questions are unfair. They are very fair questions that should be asked.

Because loaded questions exist? Because people's motives play a part in their reasoning for doing things?

People need to be more careful about saying "no one" when they mean "I'm not" because they give cover to people in their faction who are advancing more extreme positions

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I do think it's a fair response to expect more out of CNN in the future... however, that's such a fucking small piece of this it is SHOCKING to me that people have grasped onto it as if THAT is the real story here.

The real story is that TYT doxxed a young woman because she had the audacity to ask a tough question of their lord and savior.

100% this. Yes CNN fucked up by not trying to dox a woman who wanted to ask a question. For all we know she might not have volunteered what her career was to them and they're perfectly innocent in this. We'll never know.

The real issue at hand is that someone who asked a legit quesiton of Bernie, regardless of their motivations, was doxxed and is being harassed by his supporters.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am not posting the video of her being doxxed.

Then what are we supposed to discuss here? You won't bring receipts. The article linked in your topic doesn't mention TYT once. We're supposed to take you at your word, I guess? Just a poorly-done topic all-round.

Clipjoint is the only person bringing receipts to the party, that I see in the last couple of pages.

Mod post.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication

This thread is now open. Remember that this topic is about women who suffered harassment. Do not characterize concerns for these women as being spurious or insincere. Do not use this thread as a battleground over political affiliations. Do not post other people's personal information and do not condone or downplay harassment.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So I watched the entire TYT video that was posted above and frankly, it's exactly what I expected. TYT has not changed. Cenk is Alex Jones with a blue tie. Multiple times he poses conspiracy theories, sometimes as if he's dismissing them (hint: he isn't dismissing them) but sometimes as a straight up conspiracy theory. At one point he suggests that CNN held Bernie's town hall in DC because it would somehow hurt Bernie lmao, these people are a fucking joke.

Also, they are plying the victim card constantly throughout the video. This is an extremely well laid out tactic of snake oil salesmen like Cenk and Trump. Fucking at one point he implies that Bernie isn't an establishment candidate and is actually the victim of a massive conspiracy to ensure his failure in 2020.

Listen, you cannot watch that TYT video and in good faith tell me they are trying to be legitimate in criticism. They're using the fact that CNN didn't give you the CV of every question asker as an excuse to not only attack CNN but also continue the false narrative that Bernie Sanders is somehow a dark horse candidate that is fighting against all odds to bring salvation. Fucking please.

At one point in the video they go so far as to post a fucking picture of the MOTHER of the question asker who is in frame with a prominent democrat of the early 2000s (the question asker is in frame as well, as a 12 year old..............) AS IF THAT HAS ANY RELEVANCY TO THE QUESTION. Some people in this thread are claiming that TYT does not dox anyone in the video, I have to ask you, what on EARTH do you consider digging up a completely irrelevant picture of the young woman?

Deleted member 8777

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People need to be more careful about saying "no one" when they mean "I'm not" because they give cover to people in their faction who are advancing more extreme positions
Again, the guy I was responding to was asking a general question. I was giving a general answer. I have not said nor implied any of the questions these people asked bernie were loaded.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Let me just put it this way. The CNN problem is an open and shut issue. CNN didn't want to have half the audience presented as politically related in a town hall that took place in a city where more than half the population is involved in political industry. So they mislead.

It's a scummy move but honestly an insignificant thing especially when the questions were perfectly reasonable and the participants were actually reflective of the area that this took place in.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Let me just put it this way. The CNN problem is an open and shut issue. CNN didn't want to have half the audience presented as politically related in a town hall that took place in a city where more than half the population is involved in political industry. So they mislead.

It's a scummy move but honestly an insignificant thing especially when the questions were perfectly reasonable and the participants were actually reflective of the area that this took place in.

Eh... honestly, again having watched the TYT video, the presented descriptors are oftentimes more relevant to the question being asked rather than their "occupation". It may have been a decision by CNN to present relevant information as quickly and efficiently as possible. TYT seems to want them to include information that THEY think is relevant but honestly... isn't really relevant.

At one point Cenk laughs at the CNN description that included "mother of two" when the person asked about daycare. Cenk... maybe there's a reason they described her as "mother of two" you fucking idiot.

Oct 25, 2017
So I watched the entire TYT video that was posted above and frankly, it's exactly what I expected. TYT has not changed. Cenk is Alex Jones with a blue tie. Multiple times he poses conspiracy theories, sometimes as if he's dismissing them (hint: he isn't dismissing them) but sometimes as a straight up conspiracy theory. At one point he suggests that CNN held Bernie's town hall in DC because it would somehow hurt Bernie lmao, these people are a fucking joke.

Also, they are plying the victim card constantly throughout the video. This is an extremely well laid out tactic of snake oil salesmen like Cenk and Trump. Fucking at one point he implies that Bernie isn't an establishment candidate and is actually the victim of a massive conspiracy to ensure his failure in 2020.

Listen, you cannot watch that TYT video and in good faith tell me they are trying to be legitimate in criticism. They're using the fact that CNN didn't give you the CV of every question asker as an excuse to not only attack CNN but also continue the false narrative that Bernie Sanders is somehow a dark horse candidate that is fighting against all odds to bring salvation. Fucking please.

At one point in the video they go so far as to post a fucking picture of the MOTHER of the question asker who is in frame with a prominent democrat of the early 2000s (the question asker is in frame as well, as a 12 year old..............) AS IF THAT HAS ANY RELEVANCY TO THE QUESTION. Some people in this thread are claiming that TYT does not dox anyone in the video, I have to ask you, what on EARTH do you consider digging up a completely irrelevant picture of the young woman?
Thanks for the summary. That is pretty appalling.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
CNN didn't want to have half the audience presented as politically related in a town hall that took place in a city where more than half the population is involved in political industry. So they mislead.
DC's actual population is very diverse but isn't the wealthiest. It's not 'a city where more than half the population is involved in political industry' unless you think it starts at the white house and ends at capitol hill.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am glad we can talk about what the real issue is. This woman getting harassed due to asking a tough but relevant question.

I hope this ends up being a wake up call. Don't look up people's personal social media accounts trying to find dirt because you don't like their questions. No matter the candidate. It's doxxing no matter the context and always wrong.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel that much of Bernie's widely distributed support base from several years ago has been grabbed by many younger and more diverse candidates. This leaves only his most hardcore supporters of whom I think there is an unsavory element that is both ardently Bernie and while also incredibly defensive of his far less assured path to success and much stronger competition.

I posted about her on 2016 but my wife and I have a close friend who went full Bernie Brobot during the primary to the point we couldn't talk politics with her after the primary selection.

If it wasn't for her and her extended network - I'd probably think that Bernie Bros were the Russian Twitter bots that used to (and still do to some extent)reply instantly to Trump's tweets en masse.

But she and a few other real folk were deep in the tank so our Facebook exposure to the stories and conspiracy nonsense they were passing around was deep and revealing.

Funnily enough my wife and I were both leaning Bernie right up until he went dnc conspiracy and seemed to forget that he actually wasn't a party member... Hillary was always an establishment competent choice who knew the ropes - the only excitement I could muster for her was her gender, experience and intelligence.

Watching our friend spend months unknowingly working for the GOP and the GRU was shocking. Couldn't tell her ANYTHING - primary votes were altered! Hillary made a deal with the Rothschilds! She murdered her rivals! All of it.

At the time it was just embarrassing - and until we saw the razor thin margins after the general - it wasn't a big deal outside of concern for her environment. That week it became apparent that everything counted - Green Party - bots - Comey - Hillary sneezing - everything made a difference.

So I will hear out legitimate Bernie supporters on policy and hope for more evolution from Bernie himself - and if he releases his taxes and keeps a lid on his potboiler elements then I can get behind him again should he somehow manage to be or get on a unified dnc ticket -- but whenever I hear anyone defend what went on in that community as irrelevant (and is unquestionably happening again) - I first point to the historically close margins - then to AL Gore and Florida and then if they can't concede at least the arithmetic then I can't really assume clear eyed intent.

My prediction is that it's an energy or paste that can't be put back in the bottle or tube - but I don't think it's hopeless. Combative lack of self reflection or binary attacks on every other candidate is a bad look for a movement that should be pragmatic and serious about this country first, and party and candidate have to be secondary considerations after that.

I want to see hardcore Bernie supporters speak rationally and positively about other candidate's chances or combinations. Maybe someone who disagrees with my position and perspective can point me to where that's happening. I'm happy to see that - if it's happening. Would be a big shift and a positive one.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
DC's actual population is very diverse but isn't the wealthiest. It's not 'a city where more than half the population is involved in political industry' unless you think it starts at the white house and ends at capitol hill.
38% are government employees(Mostly congressional staff). 27% are in private business consulting(Let me just say, these are 90% lobbyist firms). Working in politics doesn't mean you're rich(Though, D.C. Median income is pretty damn high), and it especially doesn't mean you're rich when D.C. is an extremely high cost of living city.

So, what I mean to say, D.C. can both have a very diverse population that isn't the wealthiest WHILE having the majority of its residents in political industry.

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The stigma of the bernie bros is going to be real difficult for Bernie to wash his hands of, especially given the outside factors that want to keep the Bernie Bros schism alive.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Cocaloch getting permanently banned is some bullshit.
What the fuck? Come on mods.
Let's not do this. It'll just lead to more detail.
The stigma of the bernie bros is going to be real difficult for Bernie to wash his hands of, especially given the outside factors that want to keep the Bernie Bros schism alive.
Bernie doesn't need to wash the stigma, honestly. His previous statement addresses it as well as he could.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
What has Bernie himself done exactly besides running again after losing in 2016?

Apart from Tulsi gabbard , Bernie is attracting the most toxic elements of the left like these harassers. He does not and has not come down hard enough. He doesn't put out a presser or a full blown speech saying this toxicity has to stop. Sending a one page write up saying "stop" is not going to stop this . It has to be more forceful . He needs to treat these toxic folks like he treats Trump

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

The real reason Bernie Bros are still a thing is because outlets like TYT continue to antagonize everyone who isn't a supporter :shrug:

Deleted member 19003

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've never liked TYT. Seems like they're more invested in just fanning conspiracy theories with the far left base than any sincere political reporting. They were a big driver in the whole Bernie and the DNC conspiracy crap that drove a wedge in 2016. The poor woman and others involved did not deserve to have more of their information scrounged up and put up on a popular Youtube channel as some sort of convoluted "proof" that they are part of a made up little conspiracy. It's definitely doxxing them. Bad on TYT, and people should not be trying to excuse such conduct.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Problem is people think doxxing women who challenge Bernie (like TYT) helps Bernie for whatever reason when in fact all it does is reinforce the Bernie Bro narrative. And I am not really sure how Bernie can stop it (well other than not running). It's a self sustaining mindset at this point.

Deleted member 8777

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've never liked TYT. Seems like they're more invested in just fanning conspiracy theories with the far left base than any sincere political reporting. They were a big driver in the whole Bernie and the DNC conspiracy crap that drove a wedge in 2016. The poor woman and others involved did not deserve to have more of their information scrounged up and put up on a popular Youtube channel as some sort of convoluted "proof" that they are part of a made up little conspiracy. It's definitely doxxing them. Bad on TYT, and people should not be trying to excuse such conduct.
You think TYT is far left?

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Problem is people think doxxing people who challenge Bernie helps Bernie for whatever reason when in fact all it does is reinforce the Bernie Bro narrative. And I am not really sure how Bernie can stop it (well other than not running). It's a self sustaining mindset at this point.

He could go on TYT and call them out on their conspiratorial bullshit... but I doubt that would stop them.

If I were him I'd publicly block Shaun King too.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Problem is people think doxxing people who challenge Bernie helps Bernie for whatever reason when in fact all it does is reinforce the Bernie Bro narrative. And I am not really sure how Bernie can stop it (well other than not running). It's a self sustaining mindset at this point.
I don't think Bernie can stop it but from everything I've ever seen of Bernie I don't think he wants to stop everything thing that the subsect of his fans does.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He could go on TYT and call them out on their conspiratorial bullshit... but I doubt that would stop them.

If I were him I'd publicly block Shaun King too.
Well yes, I was thinking there's nothing Bernie can do....that Bernie would be willing to do lol.

I think the least Bernie can do is say neither he nor any of his staff will go on TYT again.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Eh... honestly, again having watched the TYT video, the presented descriptors are oftentimes more relevant to the question being asked rather than their "occupation". It may have been a decision by CNN to present relevant information as quickly and efficiently as possible. TYT seems to want them to include information that THEY think is relevant but honestly... isn't really relevant.

At one point Cenk laughs at the CNN description that included "mother of two" when the person asked about daycare. Cenk... maybe there's a reason they described her as "mother of two" you fucking idiot.
This is actually a good point. It's not that the people were not what CNN described, but were highlighted in relation to their questions.
I think more details and transparency is what we're asking for. ;P
His ban message looks pretty clear to me, especially concerning the content of said post.

Craymond

Oct 28, 2017
Portland
One more point that is being lost here - the OP makes it seem like the TYT segment is what led to the harassment. If you read the CNN article, here's what happened:

So the harassment towards her began as soon as her question aired on CNN, which posted her name, face, and university - NOT when TYT posted the video. TYT didn't post anyone's social media information, they didn't link to anyone's accounts or screenshot them. This was a bunch of assholes who looked her up on social media and harassed her themselves. It has nothing to do with TYT.
TYT did no doxxing, this witch hunt is insane. All public as the info they placarded at the townhall, but yes, people need to not harass individuals like interns.

Honestly, this has been a mess. CNN probably disingenuously invites Bernie, invites DNC and lobbyist members to the mix, does not disclose it until later. I was surprised when they invited Bernie at all but no one should be harassed. There is pointed criticism needed of CNN and that new Trump radical content editor.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I will say i don't think you can fully divroce Sanders approach in 2016 (one he hopefully drops in the 2020 race) and the actions of some of his followers.... He spent a lot of 2016 acting like there was a direct conspiracy against him, and now look an intern college student is now painted as part of a CNN conspiracy against him.

His rhetoric about everything being rigged against him absolutely creates the type of culture that does shit like this

Oh look case in point:

Honestly, this has been a mess. CNN probably disingenuously invites Bernie, invites DNC and lobbyist members to the mix, does not disclose it until later. I was surprised when they invited Bernie at all but no one should be harassed.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
TYT did no doxxing, this witch hunt is insane. All public as the info they placarded at the townhall, but yes, people need to not harass individuals like interns.

Honestly, this has been a mess. CNN probably disingenuously invites Bernie, invites DNC and lobbyist members to the mix, does not disclose it until later. I was surprised when they invited Bernie at all but no one should be harassed. There is pointed criticism needed of CNN and that new Trump radical content editor.

Again, TYT explicitly doxxes multiple people in that video. Posting the exact firm one young lady works at, the exactly PR company one man is the CEO of, a fucking PICTURE OF THE MOTHER OF ONE WOMAN. There is absolutely no reason to post these exact details while also riling up their viewers with frothy conspiracy nonsense.

Just because the information is public, does not mean an extremely popular and fervent YouTube brand needs to aggregate that information in an antagonistic way.

Deleted member 12224

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The "BernieBros" stigma is most relevant to those who actively want it to be stigmatic and seem invested in perpetuating it as such. It's an alluring short-hand dismissal of lots of people that invokes a singular image.

The rest of the country doesn't give much of a shit about "BernieBros" or even Bernie Sanders himself.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
... what are we supposed to discuss here? I'm sorry for the young woman who was doxxed and harassed. Her question was legitimate, and Sanders answered it. Sanders also called on his supporters to be civil and not engage in that kind of behavior, and his spokesperson did so, again, in OP's article.

However, OP cannot provide evidence to link The Young Turks to the doxxing and harassment. Why not just stricken that from the topic and discuss the climate of the Internet that encourages people to lash out so inappropriately over small slights, especially against women?

Also, regarding CNN, they have admitted fault here:

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainme...wn-hall-was-loaded-with-democratic-operatives

"Though we said at the beginning of the Town Hall that the audience was made up of Democrats and Independents, we should have more fully identified any political affiliations," a CNN spokesperson told Fox News.

We have to hold media to a higher standard, TYT and CNN alike.

TYT is basically Alex Jones tier level grossness.

I disagree with them and I rarely watch their show, but this... is trash-tier nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.