• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
The Nintendo 64 was a garbage console with a literal handful of good games. Without Rare that count drops to 5 tops. Every one of their subsequent consoles was better.
Garbage is a little harsh but I certainly think it's Nintendo's weakest console. I actually realised the other day that I have owned every single console Nintendo have released, home and portable. The sole exception...was the Nintendo 64.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
The N64 had a few important games, but I genuinely do think that it's one of the most overrated consoles in existence due to the fact it had so few good games on it but then, and this is controversial, I don't rate any of the Zelda games on it.

Oct 28, 2017
The Edge score for God of War (8/10) is appropriate. Also God of War 2 and 3 were better, as much as I hate to say it (except for the story).
Gameplay wise I have to agree. New God of War feels like a step down for the series all in all. Combat isn't nearly as fun, and I think all the RPG systems and looting hurts the game.

But the story is on another level compared to previous games. The story is the main driving force to keep me playing. I think the gameplay is very good though not as fun as previous games, but the story is the real hook this time around.

Oct 27, 2017
-Super Mario Odyssey is overrated, and personally bored me to the point i couldn't finish it.
-Super Mario Sunshine is horrible. I would rather play Colonial Marines.
-I'm legit of the mind that Nintendo does indeed receive extra points just for being Nintendo.
-Nintendo Switch would be 100% better as a dedicated home console.
-Smash Brothers is stupid, and the fanbase reaches Sonic levels.
-Danganronpa>Ace Attorney
-I prefer new Fire Emblem over old Fire Emblem.
-Rockband/Guitar Hero were never good.
-Western RPGs are trash, how anybody can put 100s of hours into the borefest that is Skyrim is flooring.
-Dragon Quest > Final Fantasy
-Rare is shit.
-Dark Souls is a clunky mess with amazing lore but shit combat.
-Nioh>Bloodborne>>>Dark Souls (all of them)
-Sleeping Dogs is better then any GTA game.
-GTA IV is the best GTA game even if VC is my favorite.
-GTA V is shit.
-Majoras Mask is better then Ocarina, both are surpassed by Wind Waker.
-Yakuza is Sega's best franchise, and better then 90% of AAA franchises.

The Nintendo 64 was a garbage console with a literal handful of good games. Without Rare that count drops to 5 tops. Every one of their subsequent consoles was better.
This. The Nintendo 64 is a POS that has a few good games, and was greatly inferior to the Playstation especially in terms of library. Nostalgia is a crazy drug.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
1. Roguelikes with no permanent progression/upgrades are bad.

There's something quaint about short, straight to the point NES/Atari games that I don't think people really appreciate these days. Sometimes it's nice to enjoy a simple, sometimes short game after all the hundred 50 hour long AAA games with a billion quests, mechanics, activities, and convoluted stories

I'd suggest modern rougelikes, from the popular Spelunky to the more underground Unexplored fill this niche quick-hit gameplay style quite nicely.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Played kingdom hearts 1/2 remake on PS4. Both games are still super oudated with awful camera and controls in general.

Seems kingdom hearts 3 also has these ps2 jank is very dissappointing

Anyway I'll still get it for the graphics but I don't think I'll play very much

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Undertale is one of the most over hyped games I've ever played. Trite, boring, ugly and unfun.

Nintendo has made a total of 3 good consoles. Not counting handhelds.

Microsoft should leave the console business. While there are plenty of good games for their consoles it's in spite of them not because of them. They are the Nickelback of consoles.

We live in the best time ever for gaming despite crap like loot boxes and mt's.

Nintendo's handheld days are numbered because of smart phones. They are only still in the handheld space because of their strong software, unwillingness to offer those games on other platforms and a dpad. But it won't last much longer.

BlackSalad

Oct 27, 2017
I think the Donkey Kong Country games are bad platformers. I could never get used to the fat, weird hitboxes, the claustrophobic way the screen scrolls and the chunky, unflattering sprites.

The movement always seemed off, too, like there was never enough space to take that big Diddy Kong leap and feel I knew where I was going to land. I was never a big fan of the music, either.

It's rare that everything about a game completely turns me off, but if you ask me if I'd rather play a DKC game or sit and quietly consider my thoughts, I'll take the latter.

I haven't tried the Wii U/Switch one, but I hear it's better.

Agree completely, after powering through tropical freeze recently I realized it just isn't for me. Slow, imprecise, and generally not enjoyable.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
SM64, MK64, Smash, Paper Mario, both Zeldas, Mario Party. That's 7, what do I win?
I'm legit struggling to get to 10 without Rare though.

To contribute to the thread, the original Mario Party was the best one, control sick spinning and all. Not 2. Fight me.

Oh, and Sunshine holds up better than 64. *Takes cover*

Actually, I guess I should elaborate on that one. I'm two years younger than 64 and ended up not playing it during its era despite owning a Nintendo 64. Going back to it ~10 years after Sunshine and having played the Galaxy games, I found the controls to be frustratingly loose and the camera got in its own way far too often. Sunshine, on the other hand, has controls rivaled only by Odyssey. It's so fun to just pick that game up and play it with no real aim, just because Mario controls so wonderfully.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Care to quantify that? Off the top of my head...

Console Exclusive/Exclusive:
Beetle Adventure Racing.
Doom 64.
Quake II.
Duke Nukem: Zero Hour.
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
Star Wars: Battle for Naboo.
Harvest Moon 64.
Rocket: Robot on Wheels.
Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine.
Mischief Makers.
Ogre Battle 64.
Turok 1/2/3/Rage Wars (discounting the recent Xbox One ports of T1/2).
Sin & Punishment.
Space Station Silicon Valley.
Wetrix.
The World is Not Enough.

That's 19 great games from third party developers, and that's not even covering the wide range of great multiplatform titles, where the N64 version typically turned out really well. (Vigilante 8 on N64, for instance. Or BattleTanx.) And it's also leaving out stuff like the N64 version of Gauntlet Legends or any of the rather good sports/racing games because I'm not really interested in those genres.

Mozendo

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific North West
Not sure if this is controversial, but I guess it is since Fire Emblem heroes is incredibly successful.
Fire Emblem Heroes is a terrible gacha game, it has terrible rates.
The waifus aren't even that good.

gfxtwin

Use of alt account
Oct 28, 2017
TWW's art style is neat and future-proof, but very inappropriate for Zelda. It doesn't really feel like I'm on an epic adventure when I keep expecting link to pull a giant mallet out of his tunic to bonk Moblins on the head with.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, no argument from me there. I'm not saying Wii U was better than anything else. I'm just saying it was much better than N64.
They're both the worst because they don't have Metroid :)
-Super Mario Odyssey is overrated, and personally bored me to the point i couldn't finish it.
-Super Mario Sunshine is horrible. I would rather play Colonial Marines.
-I'm legit of the mind that Nintendo does indeed receive extra points just for being Nintendo.
-Nintendo Switch would be 100% better as a dedicated home console.
-Smash Brothers is stupid, and the fanbase reaches Sonic levels.
-Danganronpa>Ace Attorney
-I prefer new Fire Emblem over old Fire Emblem.
-Rockband/Guitar Hero were never good.
-Western RPGs are trash, how anybody can put 100s of hours into the borefest that is Skyrim is flooring.
-Dragon Quest > Final Fantasy
-Rare is shit.
-Dark Souls is a clunky mess with amazing lore but shit combat.
-Nioh>Bloodborne>>>Dark Souls (all of them)
-Sleeping Dogs is better then any GTA game.
-GTA IV is the best GTA game even if VC is my favorite.
-GTA V is shit.
-Majoras Mask is better then Ocarina, both are surpassed by Wind Waker.
-Yakuza is Sega's best franchise, and better then 90% of AAA franchises.

This. The Nintendo 64 is a POS that has a few good games, and was greatly inferior to the Playstation especially in terms of library. Nostalgia is a crazy drug.
If this is the case for Nintendo, then it also is for Rockstar, Naughty Dog etc.

Last edited:

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Bringing up Bioshock Infinite every time to argue against a new game high praise is one of the worst arguments a person could make regarding games. It happened ONCE just once to one game 5 years ago that I actually still consider to be a great game. I've heard this argument for five years and I'm so sick of it. Let me recount the times I remember it was brought up since infinite for games that scored over 90:
  1. First time was The Last of Us which won tons of Gotys despite stiff competition from GTA.
  2. Bloodborne: still well loved.
  3. Bayonettea 2: Still considered one of the best action games ever.
  4. Botw: Won a ton of awards and still considered to a generational game.
It get brought up even to games that scored in the 80s which misses the whole point of Infinite backlash which was a 94/95 scored game that then got re-branded by a vocal group as "not good"

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

I think it had the best first-party lineup of any of their consoles, SNES included.

The GameCube, of course, has the worst first-party lineup...the worst everything, really, as it is the worst mainline console from Sega, NEC, Sony, Nintendo, or Microsoft.

It's better than the Jaguar, though. I don't know if I would place it above the 3DO.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
The GameCube, of course, has the worst first-party lineup...the worst everything, really
s12u1Fb.gif

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it had the best first-party lineup of any of their consoles, SNES included.

The GameCube, of course, has the worst first-party lineup...the worst everything, really, as it is the worst mainline console from Sega, NEC, Sony, Nintendo, or Microsoft.

It's better than the Jaguar, though. I don't know if I would place it above the 3DO.

This post is madness. The GameCube is my second favorite Nintendo system behind the SNES. (Not counting Switch) Every console was worth owning during the sixth generation and if we lived in a more just world, the sales of the GameCube would be much higher than they are. It was a amazing time for gaming and Gamecubes first party lineup was fantastic and one a hardware level the system fixed every major issue that plagued the N64.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
This post is madness. The GameCube is my second favorite Nintendo system behind the SNES. (Not counting Switch) Every console was worth owning during the sixth generation and if we lived in a more just world, the sales of the GameCube would be much higher than they are. It was a amazing time for gaming and Gamecubes first party lineup was fantastic and one a hardware level the system fixed every major issue that plagued the N64.
dhMeAzK.gif

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah GameCube was amazing.

If only for the first two Prime games alone, it was worth owning. Then throw in everything else like Wind Waker, Sunshine, TTYD, Melee, Luigi's Mansion etc. Just an amazing lineup all around.

Probably my overall favorite first party lineup on a console.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
VDenter is totally right about the sixth gen. I absolutely loved all three consoles and I don't believe I'll ever feel so strongly about systems from all three players in a single hardware cycle ever again. Each one was chock-full of wonderful exclusives.

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
I think Resident Evil 4 is terrible as a Resident Evil game.

This is strictly as a game bearing the title Resident Evil. If it were a standalone game with no connection to Resident Evil, it'd perfectly fine to me, I'd probably have loved it even.

Oct 25, 2017
The GameCube is AWFUL. It has outright bad, janky first-party games (Sunshine), overhyped third-party games like the repetitive garbage that is Viewtiful Joe, has a shitty, small, cramped controller that actually hurts me to use for long, and its few good games are mostly on the superior OG Xbox and the PS2.

From that generation, it's the OG Xbox that deserved more sales success, as it is an all-time great console.

The GameCube has DK Jungle Beat, Melee, an okay Mario Kart, and a bunch of crap on it. It suuuuuuucks real bad. I genuinely hate that thing. What an awful machine. It turned me off Nintendo for awhile, it was so bad. Coming off their best console ever, the N64, it came as quite a shock!

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Honestly, Nintendo's first-party output starting with Wii is so much better than it was in the N64/Gamecube days it's not even funny. There were select high quality games on both of them but the quantity of them just wasn't there the way it is now. Just compare the first-party output on 3DS/Wii U compared to the old days and the difference is insane.

Also, worst first-party console output is a wash between N64 and Gamecube. Overall the DS takes the cake, though.

Nov 13, 2017
MGS1 is a copy-paste of MG2 Solid Snake. Still a lot of fun, but it is almost the entirely same plot script. The story beats are identical for the majority of the game. Not saying MGS1 is bad or anything, but it's not original at all.

Twilight Princess is the worst Zelda in the series. It takes hours to actually get to anything good.

DKC Returns is 500x better on 3DS, even with the awful resolution and frame rate.

Oct 25, 2017
That Isaiah Whitlock GIF is how I felt after I spent forty bucks to buy Viewtiful Joe on the advice of someone whom I should have know better than to trust about good games.

I am absolutely right about the GameCube, and while objectively, I understand that we are all different and have different experiences, subjectively, you GameCube fans baffle the fuck out of me. I am still trying to figure out if the praise for Eternal Darkness is just a subsection of the internet trolling unsuspecting people who want to actually discuss good video games.

Look, when Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles is a top five game on your console, something went horribly, horribly wrong.

Jungle Beat is fucking brilliant, though, so I guess at least the GameCube exists for that specific experience.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I think paper Mario color splash is the best paper Mario game ever.

ccef398d-8725-4f3e-91ab-e3af872eb677_1.a4f2f00df920ca9c6c6ab0a191c59483.jpeg
It's one of those games that people really need to wake up to. This is indeed a near-masterpiece, but everyone seems to have their opinions ready based on Sticker Star and that's doing it a huge disservice to Color Splash which is a complete and glorious return to form, though for the record, I think Sticker Star is also great and unrightly criticized, people just want the same game over and over again and anything that dared be different is shat on. There's still some issues here and there, but this game does not hold back. I'd have to replay TTYD but I'm edging towards that one as the best, but I'd say Color Splash is a great second place.

Oct 28, 2017
It's one of those games that people really need to wake up to. This is indeed a near-masterpiece, but everyone seems to have their opinions ready based on Sticker Star and that's doing it a huge disservice to Color Splash which is a complete and glorious return to form, though for the record, I think Sticker Star is also great and unrightly criticized, people just want the same game over and over again and anything that dared be different is shat on. There's still some issues here and there, but this game does not hold back. I'd have to replay TTYD but I'm edging towards that one as the best, but I'd say Color Splash is a great second place.
Thank you!

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
The GameCube is AWFUL. It has outright bad, janky first-party games (Sunshine), overhyped third-party games like the repetitive garbage that is Viewtiful Joe, has a shitty, small, cramped controller that actually hurts me to use for long, and its few good games are mostly on the superior OG Xbox and the PS2.

From that generation, it's the OG Xbox that deserved more sales success, as it is an all-time great console.

The GameCube has DK Jungle Beat, Melee, an okay Mario Kart, and a bunch of crap on it. It suuuuuuucks real bad. I genuinely hate that thing. What an awful machine. It turned me off Nintendo for awhile, it was so bad. Coming off their best console ever, the N64, it came as quite a shock!
rmxMk.gif