• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rosol

Oct 29, 2017
How does it affect you in any way if someone is playing a game with better performance and graphics than you? This whole thing basically boils down to you wanting to prevent a certain category of gamers to miss out completely on games because of your own jealousy and/or envy. If PC gamers have access to Uncharted 4, you still have access to the same Uncharted 4 you always did. You're not missing out on anything. I stand by what I said that just because someone put their hard-earned money down on a hefty gaming PC instead of potentially 1-3 consoles, does not make them rich. Maybe instead of saving up for 9 months to buy a PS4, they saved up for 18 months to buy a gaming PC? That person should be penalized because they have now been upgraded to a "rich gamer" bracket? What about multi-platform games that already come to PC anyway? Should they limit everyone to the "low" preset to be fair to the folks that bought the game on console?

How does it affect you in any way if someone is playing a game with better performance and graphics than you?
I don't like living in an inequal society - having excessively different options based on what you can afford is one way that accentuates those inequalities. No it doesn't affect me directly, but I'm aware about how this divides us and makes life more unfair. I prefer that gaming platforms that don't push the limits on how they reward people with expendable income.

How does it affect you that someone else owns a yacht or has a Ferrari, how about a private plane? It's not a question on how it affects an individual, it's a question on whether it's right as a society and how we allow inequalities to flourish by showing indifference. It's great if a person saves their money for an expensive pc and props to them, this doesn't change the fact this platform has a high limit on how much it caters to those with excess income.

BurnKnuckle21

Nov 17, 2017
How does it affect you in any way if someone is playing a game with better performance and graphics than you?
I don't like living in an inequal society - having excessively different options based on what you can afford is one way that accentuates those inequalities. No it doesn't affect me directly, but I'm aware about how this divides us and makes life more unfair. I prefer that gaming platforms that don't push the limits on how they reward people with expendable income.

How does it affect you that someone else owns a yacht or has a Ferrari, how about a private plane? It's not a question on how it affects an individual, it's a question on whether it's right as a society and how we allow inequalities to flourish by showing indifference. It's great if a person saves their money for an expensive pc and props to them, this doesn't change the fact this platform has a high limit on how much it caters to those with excess income.

Ah, so we're talking about communism now. At this point I'll just agree to disagree.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States

You're trying to take privilege out of something that's a privilege itself. Gaming is a hobby, a luxury. I'm very lucky to be able to indulge in gaming. But complaining that games on different platforms are better/worse is like someone with a Ferrari complaining that theres doesn't have as much horsepower as their friends.

Oct 27, 2017
skyrim also has some really garbage quests and guilds storylines, uninteresting characters, and just overall unininspiring gameplay loop. I find it hard to believe that people who have played any other open world rpg or even oblivion can find skyrim to be a great game.

I played Skyrim on PS4 after I'd finished Witcher 3.

I knew Skyrim was old at the time, but holy batdicks did it feel terribly outdated in every way. The combat was complete ass, and the story felt like it was barely there at all. Ended up selling it to Gamestop.

Aug 28, 2019
I was going to let this slide, but I think some of you are misrepresenting what I meant, and actually making a lot of assumptions about what I think about PC gamers among other things. This is not intended as an us-vs-them argument.

Everyone understood just fine. You want to take away my toys because somebody else has nicer toys. That's really the start and end of it. There's no nuance to explore there.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
In order for video game stories (not storytelling, big difference) to be better, more unique, and bold, TLOU should not be looked at as the pinnacle of stories in video games and what others should aspire to

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I really detest the concept of lives in platformers. Nothing is gained by having me wait on an unnecessary extra loading screen and play through parts that I've already completed. It's not fun whatsoever and if the game is easy enough it never even becomes a mechanic that you have to take into account so in that case why put it in? It serves only to frustrate people who are probably already frustrated.

I like hard platformers, I don't like having to redo sections I've already done.

CamberGreber

Banned
Dec 27, 2019
Warrior Within was the best of the OG Trilogy.

DarkSoulslike games are bad for storie telling.

Assassins Creed 1 is the only good one. Once they removed the Assassinations being the focus it was dead to me. Getting rid of the social stealth latter was just the final nail.

Having numbers eject from enemies to show damge is a horrible idea that needs to die

TLOU is overrated and most Naughty Dog games have at best mediocre gameplay paded with bullet sponge enemies.

Witcher III is boring and looks worse than Witcher II.

Most people here cant tell the difference between a game that is "Truly" Tecnically Impressive vs one the that has there "Preferred" Artstyle.
And Digital Foundry sometimes Purposely overlooks technical shortcummings of certain games for reasons you can guess.

Last edited:

catashtrophe

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Here's a few from me
  • Wipeout is the best futuristic racing series of all time
  • Banjo-Kazooie is better than Mario 64
  • Axelay was the best space shooter on the Snes
  • Celeste had great music but was an average game
  • Dark Souls 2 was awful
  • Uncharted 4 is trash and almost put me off the entire franchise (luckily I gave Uncharted LL a shot and loved it)
  • Colin Mcrae/Dirt Rally games are dull games (Rallisport Challenge 1 & 2 were better than both those series)
  • I should never have played Turok 1 and 2 remasters as I loved them on the N64 but replaying the Nightdive remasters last year made me now think they are trash. (leave the past in the past)
  • Nier: Automata started off great and soon as it got to the open world area the game crashed into a mess
  • Platinum Games are the most hyped studio of all time with not a single great game under their belt.
  • Dead Space 1 & 2 are better than Res Evil 4
  • Nintendo is the most boring developer out there milking the same characters and franchises for decades. Even Disney moved on and created new worlds, stories and characters outside of Mickey. You'd think Nintendo could move away from Mario/Zelda after all this time
  • Sony were trash to kill off Evolution studios
  • Sony funding Dreams for all these years, Last guardian for years etc but we can't get a real Wipeout sequel is a joke
  • Sega not making a true sequel to Sonic Racing Transformed was a travesty as that's the best kart racer in history
  • Kojima is the most over-rated person in the industry and Splinter Cell series kills the MGS games (unless all you want to do is watch a movie with limited interaction)

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017

What a strange take.

ALL hobbies have a variety of investment tiers.

You can go to Toys R Us and get an entry-level toy train set for under $50 or you can go to a hobby shop and spend $1000 on a baller train setup.

This economic scaling system tries to let everyone participate, rewarding those more heavily invested with greater opportunity of quality, but at the same time not leaving anyone behind.

It's absolutely ridiculous to suggest that those with the means be held back from AAA experiences by those unable or unwilling to invest at the same level.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Here's a few from me
  • Wipeout is the best futuristic racing series of all time
  • Banjo-Kazooie is better than Mario 64
  • Axelay was the best space shooter on the Snes
  • Celeste had great music but was an average game
  • Dark Souls 2 was awful
  • Uncharted 4 is trash and almost put me off the entire franchise (luckily I gave Uncharted LL a shot and loved it)
  • Colin Mcrae/Dirt Rally games are dull games (Rallisport Challenge 1 & 2 were better than both those series)
  • I should never have played Turok 1 and 2 remasters as I loved them on the N64 but replaying the Nightdive remasters last year made me now think they are trash. (leave the past in the past)
  • Nier: Automata started off great and soon as it got to the open world area the game crashed into a mess
  • Platinum Games are the most hyped studio of all time with not a single great game under their belt.
  • Dead Space 1 & 2 are better than Res Evil 4
  • Nintendo is the most boring developer out there milking the same characters and franchises for decades. Even Disney moved on and created new worlds, stories and characters outside of Mickey. You'd think Nintendo could move away from Mario/Zelda after all this time
  • Sony were trash to kill off Evolution studios
  • Sony funding Dreams for all these years, Last guardian for years etc but we can't get a real Wipeout sequel is a joke
  • Sega not making a true sequel to Sonic Racing Transformed was a travesty as that's the best kart racer in history
  • Kojima is the most over-rated person in the industry and Splinter Cell series kills the MGS games (unless all you want to do is watch a movie with limited interaction)
Interestingly I agree on most points. I still like DS2 tho.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really detest the concept of lives in platformers. Nothing is gained by having me wait on an unnecessary extra loading screen and play through parts that I've already completed. It's not fun whatsoever and if the game is easy enough it never even becomes a mechanic that you have to take into account so in that case why put it in? It serves only to frustrate people who are probably already frustrated.

I like hard platformers, I don't like having to redo sections I've already done.

I get that, but on the flipside, for my tastes, the only otherwise good platformers I've played that have a useless lives mechanic are later Mario games. Burning Chrome, Rocket Knight Adventures, Rockman, even Sonic I find more fun with a tiered failure system instead of having challenges always be completely contained within a single 2-minute stage. That extends to other kinds of action games, too (beat 'em ups, scrolling shooters, etc).

It seems like the kind of mechanic that wouldn't be too hard to turn into an option or roll into difficulty levels, and I'd love to see that tried out more.

Brrandon

Dec 13, 2019
I know disco elysium is a really really really good game and all, but i feel like their fanbase is almost as bad as undertales was at the height of its popularity. Every time disco elysium doesnt win an award, there are inevitably half a dozen comments in the reddit post/tweet/resetera thread all saying in the vein of "disco elysium deserved it more", "disco should've won", "bullshit that disco lost over x" and its really annoying. I know there are fans that do it for every game, but discos seems especially prominent

Oct 25, 2017
I've finally come to the conclusion that Super Mario Odyssey is the single best game that Nintendo has ever made. I remember a few years back this community, when over at GAF IIRC, did a "Best Nintendo Games Ever" poll. I had SMB3 at #1, but I'd have it at #2 if we did it now.

Actually, what might be even more controversial than that is that my top five would include Virtual Boy Wario Land, Captain Toad Treasure Tracker, and a Legend of Zelda game (but not the one that you're thinking of...or the other one that you're thinking of). I see those five games as clearly above all the other stuff that Nintendo has ever done, and I feel REALLY comfortable about that assessment. *shrugs*

I hope someone on this site does another "best Nintendo games" poll soon, actually.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
I think Salt & Sanctuary is a far more fun game than Hollow Knight...maybe not the better or well made game, but it's more fun

Avacyn

Jan 14, 2020
Demon's Souls is in many ways better than Dark Souls and contains a lot of amibitous ideas that Dark Souls abandoned. I still really like Dark Souls though.

Demon's Souls is in many ways better than Dark Souls and contains a lot of amibitous ideas that Dark Souls abandoned. I still really like Dark Souls though.
Demon's Souls was crude but inspired moment of creation from Miyazaki. The purest essence of what he wanted to make.

Everything after that has been more refined in various ways, but nothing has the same, well, soul.

Bloodborne is probably the closest.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Dead Cells' moment-to-moment combat is stupidly simple.

1. Roll behind enemy when they attack.
  2. Throw traps just in case
  3. Whale on them until they turn around
  4. If surrounded and about to be attacked, go to higher/lower ground.
  5. Rinse & Repeat until dead.

Nov 20, 2019

Lol. I agree with some of what you said but, PCs that are high end are expensive because they are HIGH END.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
Erotic games have so much better character creation tools than many AAA fantasy and scifi character games, which is a shame

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Prince of Persia Sands of Time is an overrated bore of a game.

I would honestly change that to PoP 2008, by the time you get to the second area and realise the game is just the same thing repeated 6 times or whatever it is it really started to lose the initial wow factor. Plus the combat was so pointless they might as well have just left it out completely

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Game developer wants to make a game" isn't worthwhile news. It's utterly pointless to make a thread about.
I want a job I like doing too. Everyone does.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
In order for video game stories (not storytelling, big difference) to be better, more unique, and bold, TLOU should not be looked at as the pinnacle of stories in video games and what others should aspire to

once in highscool my writing professor said "when you criticize a writing you must be clear on what you felt it's bad and how the writer should improve it, even better if you cite exemples."

i will take this to my grave and am bothered when someone don't do so.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Assassins Creed 1 is the only good one. Once they removed the Assassinations being the focus it was dead to me. Getting rid of the social stealth latter was just the final nail.

Having numbers eject from enemies to show damge is a horrible idea that needs to die

I'm not gonna deny that the latest 2 AC games have been damn fun and good action games. But you are correct in that Assassins Creed has been moving away from stealth based assassin gameplay to a more story driven action game.

The first game was ultra reptetetive in its quest. You gotta do the same "Gather intel" shit for each assassination and then figure out a plan of attack. If you fuck up you can get swarmed pretty good.

They should have expanded upon this. Each assassination should have been treated like a Metal Gear mission. You have optional objectives you can complete that can change certain aspects about the mission. Pay off someone to cause a distraction. Kill the rooftop guards first. Find out the path of patrols or the target. Find out what the target is wearing. etc etc.

The more stealthy you do it, the better grade you get.

As for the numbers thing, it makes no sense in games where you aren't makeing a build. But for something like Destiny or Division it is important to show you are doing more damage and whatnot. Most of the time the floaties can be turned off. The numbers aren't the issue. It's developers not making proper damage feedback on enemies so they resort to putting a health bar over them.

It's lazy. but I suppose its better than just shooting at them wondering when they are close to dying.

Oct 25, 2017
The most fun characters to play as in Smash Bros. Ultimate are the traditional fighting game characters by far. Terry Bogard, Ken, and Ryu are the most enjoyable characters in the whole game, gameplay-wise.

Havel

Oct 25, 2017
ELEX has a better open world than BOTW.

Aside from some cool physics stuff, BOTW was nothing great and gets more praise than it deserves because of the franchise it's a part of. Open worlds are inherently a flawed genre and the game did nothing to remedy that.

Oct 27, 2017
People rag on 7th Generation Console Japanese games a lot but I enjoyed them just as much as every other generation, including Capcom that got a lot of backlash from partnering with Western developers.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Here's a few of mine:
- The Xbox One had better and more longer lasting exclusives than the PS4
- Skyrim is a game with a fun open world and story, but everything else including gameplay is mediocre and a considerable step back from the previous games
- The Witcher 3 had a fun combat system that was engaging (on PC with mouse and keyboard) and my only complaint was that it was to easy after you got the hang of it and were in an open area
- The Ubisoft formula that everyone complains about is actually good and most of the games with that formula have been extremely fun and varied games
- GTA 5 and RDR2 are better as tech showcases than as actual games, the poor controls and terrible character movement make them very hard to enjoy
- The new Wolfenstein games not having multiplayer just for the sake of being singleplayer only games is pointless and hurtful to the heritage of the series (those games are so damn fun I really wish there was multiplayer and Youngbloods being co-op is the game I had wished for when playing the first two reboot games)
- The whole pushback against politics in games is stupid and I wish more games would be willing to actually have a political message rather than claim their game is "non political" when it very much wants to be, neutering the whole story and experience (Wolfenstein 2 and Division 2 being two recent games I can think off the top of my head)
- Fallout 76 is a great game for what it was designed to be, and most people that dislike the game only dislike it because its not a mainline fallout game which I find to be really stupid. That entire circlejerk can and should just die
- Zenimax (aka Bethesda Softworks) is probably the most consumer friendly publisher outside of Sony and Microsoft
- The Arkham games have terrible combat which drags down the enjoyment of the rest of the experience

That's all I can think of off the top of my head

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
Devil May Cry 5 was hugely disappointing and felt more like a sequel to DmC than a sequel to DMC4.

Apex Legends has the skeleton to be a long lasting MP experience. Yet the Devs are clueless as fuck and haven't even implemented a permanent way for me to fucking DUO or SOLO in a BATTLE ROYALE it's actually quite embarrassing lol. Also, that battle pass debacle where one of the devs called a majority of the player base "freeloaders" hasn't sat well with me at all. after all this time I find myself thinking at that douche and wonder "is this the kind of people Respawn hires?"

Twilight Princess is the best modern Zelda game by a long shot. Anything before or after that has failed to pull me into the grand adventure and actually make me care at all about what's going on. BOTW came close until the last third of the game. Yeesh, that ball drop lol. Also, botw would just be a superior version of itself if it has legit real dungeons.

Path of Exile is one of the greatest video games of all time. It respects you and your time, allows you to shine through player agency, has literally infinite amount of builds and play styles, and it is one of the handful of games out right now that can challenge me and teach me new things each time I log in. Are you sick of the way games treat you like a fucking baby and hold your hand throughout the entire experience? Boy do I have a game for you. That doesn't mean it has zero faults. The game has problems. But the love and care the devs have for the game and it's player base makes me so god damn happy.

Halo 3 was the last good halo multiplayer experience. And also probably the last time a game on the consoles had people using their mics (for better or worse) and for sure the last time games on the consoles felt like they had a real organic community that you didn't need to go to some website to interact with. They're all there playing, hope there's some space in the lobby!

Did I mention how fucking awesome Path of exile is?

Deleted member 10747

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was thinking about "Your controversial gaming opinions" and i have none...... So i thought of a bunch that would be fun and really extreme

1. PC gaming should die. Unless only one store exist and the prices go up with 50% and 150% in poor regions.
2. Only closed systems should be sold with a 10% tax per 10hours played per month.
3. We stop paying for online per month and instead pay 0.10€ per min.
4. Gaming prices go up with 20€ and Micro transactions needs to be included and automatically charges you 0.50€ per game mode played

that's all i can get up that would be really controversial!

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
A lot of open world games have open worlds just because it's popular and it has been focus tested. I think it's cheaper and easier to do an open world with tons of checklist activities and encounters instead of creating a similar amount of quality content. It's mostly just filler and hurts the game.

Also, most open world games have bad stories.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
SatisfiedGrimDog-size_restricted.gif

• people only poop on witcher 3's combat because it was in contention with bloodborne for the 2015 goty and some people still hold on to that "Grudge"
  • Radio chatter in your open world game IS NOT a good way to move the plot forward
  • Open world mission and game design feels lazy if not done carefully
  • I think boarderlands is a chore with bad gun play
  • I think that fake release dates are given in order to boost pre order numbers which often leads to "strategic delays"
  • Jim Sterling has made a carreer off of being a cynist and feeding into this communities fascination with negativity and train wrecks
  • Most pre snes games are not good outside of a handful of outliers
  • People will complain about sexism in the industry but bend over backwards to defend a japanese game that has children in their underwear...
  • Dark souls 3 > Dark Souls 2: SOFTS > Dark souls 1
  • Final fantasy xv is an incomplete frankensteined together product
  • Detective pikachu (the film) is a fantastic movie and the best video game adaptation ever made (sonic withstanding...)
  • Super mario 3d worlds > Mario Odyssey
  • The WII U has one of Nintendo's best first party libraries in their console making history.
  • Pokemon sword is really good
  • Animal crossing new leaf was leagues more enjoyable than the original, wild world, and city folks
  • Microsoft had a great first party output this generation but for some reason they are conveniently ignored when it comes to system wars...
  • God of war 2018 was boring
  • Gravity rush>gravity rush 2
  • Crash bandicoot was the game we convinced ourselves was good because we had playstations growing up and desperatley wanted our own mario 64 or banjo kazooie
  • Banjo kazooie>mario 64
  • Banjo kazooie>banjo tooie
  • Banjo kazooie nuts and bolts is wonderful
  • Sonic generations is overrated
  • Sonic adventure is a beautiful mess
  • The disney parts of kingdom hearts are the best parts, especially pooh and corona. The let it go performance in 3 was wonderful
  • Battlefront 2015 and battlefront 2 (2017) are great multiplayer shooters
  • Fez is too obtuse for its own good
  • The last of us is a good game but im not a huge fan of the tone it set for a lot of playstation exclusives moving forward
  • Resident evil 4 has since been outclassed by dead space and the new resident evil games ( 2 remake and seven )
  • The way atlus releases games and their understanding of modern hardware is a good five years behind everyone else
  • Tropical freeze fails to reach the heights of dkc 1 and dkc 2

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
- Fire Emblem: Three Houses is the 3rd best FE game of the 2010s.
- The Tellius Fire Emblem games rank in the bottom half of all of the localized games and the continued diminishing sales of FE games from 2005-2012 is a direct result of this.
- Pokemon X/Y is one of the best games in the entire series.

People will complain about sexism in the industry but bend over backwards to defend a japanese game that has children in their underwear...
Just replying to this part here, there is like zero overlap between the groups of people complaining about industry sexism and the groups of people defending sexualized children.
Also I didn't play Bloodborne and Witcher 3 combat is still awful.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
ELEX has a better open world than BOTW.
Debatable. Elex' open world is up there with the best though. On that I'll agree.

Edit: Not sure if I already said it but Halo went downhill with Halo 3. 1 and 2 were amazing but 3 marked the downfall of the franchise. And I'm sad because it's a franchise with a lot of untapped potential.