• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Se_7_eN

Oct 25, 2017
I think Silent Hills is still being made by Kojima and Konami... I think the falling out was a false to throw people off so they don't have to advertise it and spoil any scares. One of the things that made P.T. so special, no one knew what to expect.

I think Sony joined in for exclusive rights

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I find games like PUBG and Fortnite mind numbingly boring. They're just mindless time sinks with no real or foreseeable goal.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
In my experience Synthesis is viewed as the good ending because it is the most peaceful with everyone but Shepard living through to the end and society being thrust into a very very very questionable utopia of equality.
I chose Green because that sounded like the most sci-fi option, and I was ok with the ending. It wasn't until I went online later to discuss it that I found out about the RGB ending controversy.

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All of these are either underappreciated or outright disliked/hated, and they shouldn't be.

-Skyward Sword has incredible combat and some of the best dungeons in the series. Amazing game and my third favorite in the series behind Breath of the Wild and Majora's Mask.

-Resident Evil 6 has one of the best sets of mechanics in any TPS, and is ridiculously fun to play once you wrap your head around the game flow.

-Final Fantasy VIII is one of the boldest entries in that series, has a fantastic core set of themes that are well-conveyed, and does a ton of interesting and experimental stuff. Also one of the best soundtracks in the series. I truly adore this game.

-Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake is one of the best games in that series, an excellent foundation on which the Solid entries built with a more cinematic and dynamic presentation.

-Dark Souls III is incredibly polished and consistent, and it wraps up the overarching Dark Souls story with one of the best boss fights of all time. Legitimately got chills with the music.

-Retro Game Challenge is a love-letter to the medium of video-games and one of the most notable experiences I've had in the medium. Only a video-game can immerse you so completely in a different time and place - in this case, being a kid in late-80s Japan.

-Tearaway on the PS Vita was a surprisingly artistic game with a stunning ending. Masterpiece

-Puppeteer on the PS3 was one of the best games of the last console generation and had a visual style as striking and bold as the recently released Cuphead (which is also very good).

-Donkey Kong Country 3 is a great game, sure Kiddy's kind of annoying, but Dixie is still awesome, and the level design is still on-point. It stands alongside the rest of the original trilogy as a worthy finale.

-The Yo-Kai Watch games, which I randomly decided to play on a whim and ended up really enjoying, have a fun and unique battle-system and great atmosphere. All RPG fans with 3DS' should try them, they're far more than mere Pokemon rip-offs as a lot of people seem to think.

Razor

Oct 25, 2017
Ark is one of my favorite games to play on PC and even in the condition it's in, it's worth $60.

Undivided

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One favorite discussion topic between me and a few friends I play with are how I often have very notable differences of opinions about games and the choices within games. I often like to argue the choices but don't often win. All the same, these opinions are still valid. Do you have any controversial gaming opinions of your own and why?

I will kick things off with two of my most debated. First I think that the destroy ending for Mass Effect 3 is the best ending. Control is going too far and synthesis in my view is taking away the uniqueness of each individual and takes away their agency in the choice. Destroy was the mission from the start that is how it should end. Second I firmly believe Bioshock 2 is the best of the series thus far. It builds on everything the first did better without trying to copy it in any direct way. The story is compelling and the gameplay is fantastic. The ending variations are great and leave me feeling content with the journey every time.
Then in your opinion, what defines a "Soulslike" game?

Prophane33

Oct 25, 2017
尾張国
Dark Souls II is the best in the series.
There hasn't been a good Resident Evil since Code Veronica (though I'm interested in trying 7).
Final Fantasy X was trash. The only worse FF than X is FFII.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Having to quick travel FROM the location I'm at to a stable to retrieve my horse and then ride BACK to my previous location to continue where I was going before I said "Riding my horse from here would be nice" ruins Zelda: Breath of the Wild to the point where I don't even enjoy playing it and will have to force myself at some point to beat it.

blue_phazon

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario 3-D world is way better than mission-based Mario games like 64 or Sunshine. In fact, the funnest Subshine levels were the non-flood ones where they were pure platforming obstacle courses.

I know Odyssey is looking to be a mission-based game, but it also looks more open, so maybe it'll be different enough to be good. We'll see

JoeG

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not so much an opinion but a personal...handicap?

I cannot stand 3rd person shooters. They feel like a clunky FPS with my character constantly blocking my aim/view. It makes my brain hurt, I'm constantly trying to move out of my own way. I wish they were all first person so I could enjoy them, lol.

Oct 24, 2017
Shadow of Mordor is a bad game that I am baffled was as well received as it was. In a year with Wolfenstein: TNO, Far Cry 4, and a ton of other great releases I've never understood the praise.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I was going to post something else but reading the replies apparently this is controversial.

Sunshine is the 2nd best 3D mario game behind 64 and both Galaxy and Galaxy 2 are massively overrated.

I loved both Galaxy and Galaxy 2 but they were not nearly as good as the previous 3D mario games.

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, Canada
I think Bioshock Infinite is a masterpiece.

I also think Dragon's Dogma is highly overrated.

I'm with you on this one. I played Dragon's Dogma for 10-15 hours and it just wasn't working for me. Infinite suffers in the public eye by having been oversold by the earlier vertical slice gameplay, but I think the finished product is still really fantastic.

Shadow of Mordor is a bad game that I am baffled was as well received as it was. In a year with Wolfenstein: TNO, Far Cry 4, and a ton of other great releases I've never understood the praise.

2014 is such a weird year for me. The stuff that I loved in the moment then I am significantly less fond of now. While games I picked up later, now absolutely rank at the top of the list for that year. I wonder how many others had a similar experience to me on that.

Oct 25, 2017
canada
Zelda BOTW is NOWHERE near as good as it's hyped up to be it. Lack of enemy diversity, weapon durability isn't fun, your typical padded open-world, etc etc.

Pokémon Sun and Moon are the worst mainline Pokémon games so far. This one, maybe I was just feeling Pokémon fatigue and salty that I lost my complete Pokédex when changing from 3DS to new 3DSXL.

Breath of the wild is overrated and didn't feel like a real Zelda game.

Both of these.

----_------
Also kojima despite the first three MGS being some of my fav games isnt as smart as he thinks he is. He has highschool level philosophy at BEST. mgs3 and 2 do do their messages well tho.

Yoko taro is a better kojima than kojima but without the ego

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
  • Breath of the Wild is a 7/10 at best
  • Mario Sunshine sucks and Mario in general is a terrible character design
  • All Sonic games suck
Don't hate me :(

Yukiko™

Oct 25, 2017
The Souls series is highly overrated and has had a negative influence upon the industry.

3D World is the best 3D Mario, not including Odyssey.

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not so much an opinion but a personal...handicap?

I cannot stand 3rd person shooters. They feel like a clunky FPS with my character constantly blocking my aim/view. It makes my brain hurt, I'm constantly trying to move out of my own way. I wish they were all first person so I could enjoy them, lol.

I feel the complete opposite! In TPS games I feel like I have better awareness of my surroundings. In FPS games I feel like my peripheral vision is cut off and I'm looking at everything through a tunnel.

It's usually manageable when the game isn't fast-paced action focused (e.g. Prey is one of my GOTY candidates this year), but it makes me wary of playing more traditional, reflex-based FPS campaigns. I didn't go through Titanfall 2 for this reason.

JustZisGuy

Oct 25, 2017
The Donkey Kong Country games were clunky messes with terrible level design.
Persona 5 is boring.
The trailers for Super Mario Odyssey are uninspiring and I'll probably skip it or wait and get a pre-owned copy.
A game can be good without being fun.

Samimista

Oct 25, 2017
I think Bioshock Infinite is a masterpiece.

I also think Dragon's Dogma is highly overrated.

Agreed with both. Bioshock Infinite was my GOTY for when it released, and I still love to play it. I love how vibrant the game is with its colors, and Elizabeth is just adorable.

I wanted to like Dragon's Dogma, but after 20+ hours, I got tired of doing the side quests and traveling back and forth. The game has good ideas, but needed improvement. I did, however, like being able to customize your pawn. I based mine off Guts from Berserk.

Final Fantasy 8 is the best game in the series.

I like you.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
3d world is the worst 3d Mario title, by far. That game is beyond lackluster.

Skyward sword is likewise the worst Zelda title made by Nintendo and should have been scrapped before those awful controls made it any further into development. Great graphics and dungeon designs but wow the controls and boss battles are bad.

Oh and MegaMan battle network is by far the best series of games that Capcom has EVER made

Toa Axis

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
JRPGs aren't real RPGs (this does not mean that they are bad, however!!)

Kirby Super Star is a horribly uneven, unfocused game.

Metroid Prime 2 is the best entry in the Prime trilogy.

Batman Arkham Origins is very good.

Sonic Riders was a good game.

Sonic Adventure has a much worse reputation that it deserves.

Splatoon is just okay.

I think that's all the hot takes I've got for now.

EDIT: The Batmobile in Arkham Knight wasn't that bad.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
3d world is the worst 3d Mario title, by far. That game is beyond lackluster.

Skyward sword is likewise the worst Zelda title made by Nintendo and should have been scrapped before those awful controls made it any further into development. Great graphics and dungeon designs but wow the controls and boss battles are bad.

Oh and MegaMan battle network is by far the best series of games that Capcom has EVER made

Is this controversial? I thought these opinions were all pretty well accepted (maybe not the megaman one, even though I sort of agree)

DevilPuncher

Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
I think that Earthbound is terrible and that people only like it because it had a somewhat unique setting.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
I like the leveling progression of Fable better than all other RPGs because you can become overpowered in every single skill. So what if being a fiery, ice ninja who stealthily lobs tornados at people doesnt't make any sense lemme do it!