• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

tgrfawcett

Oct 25, 2017
Utah
Welcome to the controversial gaming opinions thread! Just a couple notes before people jump into the discussion, please be respectful of other thoughts, disagreeing with the mainstream consensus is kind of the point here. Next, don't be afraid to argue your case, see if you can win a few hearts and minds to your side. Don't be afraid to be verbose and engage with the main lines of thought going on throughout the thread.

With that all said go ahead and get into your hot takes, your cold takes, and the controversial gaming opinions you have and the reasons behind them?

I will kick things off with a controversial take that is growing less so as the years go on: Bioshock 2 is the best of the series thus far. It builds on everything the first did better without trying to copy its dramatic twist. Instead, it dives further into the philosophy of the world of Rapture and explores a new cast of characters with a lot to say. Also, the gameplay is a fantastic improvement on the original. Bioshock 2 is a certified best game.

Last edited:

Dr. Benton Quest

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Bloodborne isn't in the same genre as other souls games.

Because of this, 'soulsborne' is a misnomer.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Bioshock Infinite is a masterpiece.

I also think Dragon's Dogma is highly overrated.

Oct 25, 2017
Persona 5 is not very good.

While Persona 5's gameplay, and technical aspects are all superior - the game still falls short of its predecessors. The story goes on too long. Characters have weak arcs that are underwritten. The outdated Activity/skill system collapses in on itself by the back half of the game. The dating system is still poor. The group doesn't feel as connected (the game lacks group moments that bring them together).

By the 5th dungeon, I was actually feeling bored. And persona 4 is my fav game of all time.

Last edited:

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
I do not like "role-playing" elements in rpg if the NPC can't read my actual facial expressions real time. I have a way with micro-expressions mixing up with the conventional standard and hence it's fun for me.

That's why I prefer a strict, well-defined system than an open one.

Oct 25, 2017
Wolfenstein the New Order was a mediocre game with tonal inconsistencies from serious post WWII shooter to funny satire.

The New Colussus looks great though

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Loot boxes are not that bad. If they are cosmetic only and help to fund free gameplay content (see Overwatch, PUBG) I'm A-OK with them. The only problem is if they make the game somehow unbalanced, but so far I've seen very few games doing this. Just like DLC and season passes before, there is a massive overreaction because it's the new way to make money.

Between loot boxes and U$80 games, I'd much rather have loot boxes.

LegalEagleMike

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I will kick things off with two of my most debated. First I think that the destroy ending for Mass Effect 3 is the best ending. Control is going too far and synthesis in my view is taking away the uniqueness of each individual and takes away their agency in the choice. Destroy was the mission from the start that is how it should end. S

Hasnt destroy ending always been overwhelmingly the most popular choice?

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Don't think it's a crazy opinion--GTA games are medicore. They're mostly popular because the worlds, but the gameplay is janky as hell.

OP
OP
tgrfawcett

tgrfawcett

Oct 25, 2017
Utah
I really loved Bioshock Infinite. I need to pick up Bioshock Collection and replay it, but I've heard there are performance issues. Maybe when I get a Xbox One X

I loved it at first but have fallen out of love with it as time has gone on. Many things about it bother me more than I can simply forget. That said it is still a good game, just with many missteps. (Also I just replayed through the collection on Xbox and it ran just fine).

wapplew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't like 3D platformer. All western Sony mascots or 3D Mario. Does't feel like platformer, hard to aim your jump, lack or urgency.
Willing to give it another chance with Odyssey.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I think The Last of Us, while being a fine game, is also given too high a status in gaming. Personally, I believe The Last Guardian is a more impressive video game.

Last edited:

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
Chrono Trigger has empty towns and looks very dated which most sprites-looking games are. Like most whimsical stories, it hides behind that facade for its shortcoming.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I enjoyed Bioshock Infinite and FFXIII lol.

Final Fantasy XV I enjoyed as well despite its many flaws.

I also love Super Smash Bros Brawl more than Melee or the WiiU/3DS versions.

Nitsua

Oct 25, 2017
Sacae
Persona 5 isn't the greatest RPG ever.

While enjoyable overall & hella stylish, it does feel samey after P3 & P4.

Xavillin

Oct 25, 2017
Zelda BOTW is NOWHERE near as good as it's hyped up to be it. Lack of enemy diversity, weapon durability isn't fun, your typical padded open-world, etc etc.

Pokémon Sun and Moon are the worst mainline Pokémon games so far. This one, maybe I was just feeling Pokémon fatigue and salty that I lost my complete Pokédex when changing from 3DS to new 3DSXL.

Ms.Galaxy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I found Overwatch to be mediocre. I thought I might like it since I love Team Fortress 2, but I just can't get back to it. I think I'll stick with TF2.

I actually found No Man's Sky pretty fun even at launch.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Ocarina of Time is unquestionably revolutionary and hugely influential in terms of design, but I just never found it all that fun to play. I found Link Between Worlds to be a lot more fun than OoT.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
So, like.

Obsidian is amazing at world building. Their writing is better than most of the industry. Their games are always interesting.

That said, they are kinda awful at actually designing RPG mechanics. Their most universally beloved games all build on top of existing systems/mechanics made/adapted by other people. When you start getting into games where they had a bigger role in designing things, you start getting into a lot more flawed (albeit interesting) experiences.

I'd be much happier to see them tackle genres like adventure games, where they aren't being held down by clunky RPG mechanics.

Bloodborne isn't in the same genre as other souls games.

Because of this, 'soulsborne' is a misnomer.
I think it's also weird to try and tack Bloodborne into the genre title in general. At least Souls represents the games that popularized the genre. Bloodborne is just a popular console exclusive that came later.

SMT 3 has never really impressed me, I find it a bit dull and dreary.
Yeah, I can't say it's even close to being in my top 5 MegaTen games

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Resident Evil 7 is crap and Resident Evil 6 is good.

Also I don't buy that Kojima was entirely innocent in his firing from Konami.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not big on The Last of Us either. It certainly has some great moments and strong storytelling, but overall i just don't think the overall game is that strong.

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Nintendo games are overrated for the most part.. solid and polished games that much I will say. The new Zelda looks shallow to me.

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
I dislike the trial-and-error style of platforming in games like Super Meat Boy, DustForce, and VVVVV. Platforming challenges in these games, each with disconnected "missions" rather than levels you learn and can accept as worlds in and of themselves, don't teach the player as organically as I'd like. Chunking platforming ideas so hard apart, rather than building upon each of them within long-form levels, allows for more difficulty but less challenge and general satisfaction. It's less that I can't enjoy the games and more that I pine for platformers that either don't worry about difficulty much (Sonic series for example) or which encourage 1-credit-clear play.