• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The GameCube is AWFUL. It has outright bad, janky first-party games (Sunshine), overhyped third-party games like the repetitive garbage that is Viewtiful Joe, has a shitty, small, cramped controller that actually hurts me to use for long, and its few good games are mostly on the superior OG Xbox and the PS2.

From that generation, it's the OG Xbox that deserved more sales success, as it is an all-time great console.

The GameCube has DK Jungle Beat, Melee, an okay Mario Kart, and a bunch of crap on it. It suuuuuuucks real bad. I genuinely hate that thing. What an awful machine. It turned me off Nintendo for awhile, it was so bad. Coming off their best console ever, the N64, it came as quite a shock!

That Isaiah Whitlock GIF is how I felt after I spent forty bucks to buy Viewtiful Joe on the advice of someone whom I should have know better than to trust about good games.

I am absolutely right about the GameCube, and while objectively, I understand that we are all different and have different experiences, subjectively, you GameCube fans baffle the fuck out of me. I am still trying to figure out if the praise for Eternal Darkness is just a subsection of the internet trolling unsuspecting people who want to actually discuss good video games.

Look, when Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles is a top five game on your console, something went horribly, horribly wrong.

Jungle Beat is fucking brilliant, though, so I guess at least the GameCube exists for that specific experience.

giphy.gif

Oct 28, 2017
The GameCube is AWFUL. It has outright bad, janky first-party games (Sunshine), overhyped third-party games like the repetitive garbage that is Viewtiful Joe, has a shitty, small, cramped controller that actually hurts me to use for long, and its few good games are mostly on the superior OG Xbox and the PS2.

From that generation, it's the OG Xbox that deserved more sales success, as it is an all-time great console.

The GameCube has DK Jungle Beat, Melee, an okay Mario Kart, and a bunch of crap on it. It suuuuuuucks real bad. I genuinely hate that thing. What an awful machine. It turned me off Nintendo for awhile, it was so bad. Coming off their best console ever, the N64, it came as quite a shock!
Mod Edit [Image Removed]

Last edited by a moderator:

halfjoey

Nov 26, 2017
Outside of a few games and features, the original Xbox was a garbage console.

Persona 5 plays like a high res PS2 game and I'm not sure I can get further than 4 hours into it, but I'll try.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah GameCube was amazing.

If only for the first two Prime games alone, it was worth owning. Then throw in everything else like Wind Waker, Sunshine, TTYD, Melee, Luigi's Mansion etc. Just an amazing lineup all around.

Probably my overall favorite first party lineup on a console.
Don't forget FZero GX. Still the best racing game of all time.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I think the Gamecube is a fantastic console, but if I only cared about Nintendo's big heavy hitters I probably would have been really disappointed by it. Sunshine is by far the worst 3D Mario, Wind Waker is by far the worst 3D Zelda, and the Metroid Primes just didn't ever click with me, maybe because of their controls.

To me it's a console defined by Nintendo's smaller or multiplayer-focused series. Melee is my favorite game ever, F-Zero GX is a masterpiece in terms of what it sets out to do, tTYD is by far the best Mario RPG, Mario Party/Sports were at their peak, and you had unique stuff like Kirby Air Ride and Donkey Kong Jungle Beat that I fell in love with. In terms of quantity the third-party support wasn't as good as the PS2/Xbox, but I still loved Soul Calibur II, Super Monkey Ball 1&2, both Sonic Adventures, Harvest Moon: Magical Melody, and Tales of Symphonia. There were also multiplats (that were admittedly probably better on the Xbox) that I played a bunch of, like Gauntlet Dark Legacy and TimeSplitters Future Perfect.

boi

Nov 1, 2017
Here's an actual controversial opinion.

Video game piracy is not some grand evil. For many years in many parts of the world it was the only way for people to play video games.

I would much rather people pirate the games I worked on than not play them at all.

No dev I know worked in gaming to make money. It was for the love of games. Execs and publishers love to scapegoat piracy as "lost sales" to shareholders, but no actual working developer that I personally knew ever cared about piracy.

I think this is actually true. I have to be fair. I pirated a lot of games on PC when I was very young because it was the only way for me to play such games. I didnt have any money at all. Now im grown up and I have disposable income which I spend on all kinds of games including sequels to the games I pirated back then.

Deleted member 32804

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Games that like to pretend they're movies with on rails setpieces and cutscenes every 5 minutes are boring and have little replay value (see MGS4, God of War, Uncharted etc)
Donkey Kong Country games on SNES are just extremely ugly looking games and always were
Sonic 1 through 3+Knuckles are better than any 2D Mario game (NES, SNES, NEW series etc)
FIshing in NIER was blown way out of proportion, and the game actually lets you skip the segment if you find it difficult
Bayonetta 1 is better than Bayonetta 2
Star Fox Zero is immersive as hell and a good game if you can get past some odd controls (see Kid Icarus Awakening)
Kingdom Hearts series really isn't all that great and Disney heavily clashes with Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy XV was a damn good game, despite the obvious hiccups in story telling
MGS5 could have been one of the greatest games ever made but was a complete flop, and Kojima is more responsible for this than people will accept
Earthbound, while fun and charming as hell, doesn't come close to being as solid an RPG as Chrono Trigger
Super Mario 3D World is better than either Galaxy game by a big margin
Sonic series gets way more hate than it deserves, yes there are stinkers but I don't think any series is perfect
Japanese games always have been far superior when compared to Western Games (for the most part) in terms of memorable characters, gameplay, music etc
No More Heroes is a bad game with good characters and good cutscenes
Melee is way too fast and Brawl gets way too much hate, yes tripping is bad, but Brawl is very well rounded
Xenoblade X is one of the best RPGs ever made
DOOM 2016 is the best FPS since the original and Duke 3D
Yearly sports games are just terrible, terrible advertisements and should be considered under the same scrutiny movie tie-in games receive
Gamecube was vastly superior to Xbox
Yoko Taro is a genius and is one of the best developers in the industry and deserves way more recognition, and his NIER series being comparable to Xenoblade in terms of best RPGs of the modern era
Final Fantasy post 7 just was never all that good (save for 9 and the aforementioned 15)
Kojima's MGS trailers/marketing are lies (see MGS2 - Raiden being hidden, MGS4 - death of Solid Snake, MGS5 - the downfall of Big Boss, including killing children)
Wolrd of Warcraft, and all similar MMOs are bad, bad games, with terrible gameplay and awful UI
Resident Evil Zero doesn't deserve its hate and is a better RE than 4, 5, 6 and 7
Crash Bandicoot is a terrible character and his games are awful (Spyro is better)
Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing was better than any Mario Kart game... up until Mario Kart 8 (additionally, the first Sonic and Sega racing game is better than Transformed)
Inti Creates does not deserve the hate they received from Mighty Number 9, as they have made some fantastic games and are one of the best Indy devs out there
Ubisoft, and all Ubisoft games (of the modern era) are bad, except for Child of Light
Call of Duty is one of the worst games to ever impact gaming as much as it did (i.e. it spawned way too many copycats and was a huge blotch over the previous console generation)
PS2 era GTA games are janky as heck, and were so even at the time of release
Soul Calibur series is the best 3D fighting game series and far better than Tekken
ALBW is a better game than ALTTP
Shantae and Shovel Knight deserves slots in Smash Bros before any other Western character

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Japanese games always have been far superior when compared to Western Games (for the most part) in terms of memorable characters, gameplay, music etc
Final Fantasy XV was a damn good game, despite the obvious hiccups in story telling
Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing was better than any Mario Kart game... up until Mario Kart 8 (additionally, the first Sonic and Sega racing game is better than Transformed)
MVqV4Mc.png

Oct 28, 2017
Gamecube is one of Nintendo's better systems. It was the worst console of its generation(unless you count Dreamcast as that gen) but it was still well worth owning and had a lot of quality games.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Counterpoint: The Gamecube is the only great Nintendo console of the 21st century so far.

Beside smash melee and Metroid prime, nintendos first party games on that console sucked ass

Has the worst 3d Mario game ( sunshine ) not even a good game

Wind waker is such a weak Zelda title blows my mind how they got away with it by having a good artstyle

Mario kart double dash is also trash

Nintendo first party releases were so poor for that system that they'd release like 4 Mario party game for the cube almost every single year.

Puru

Oct 28, 2017
The only thing someone has to do to convince me that the Zelda franchise is a game journalist darling is to throw at me the metacritic page of spirit tracks. 87 out of 100, what a joke, if it had be anything else it would have been butchered.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Guys there's no need to argue. The N64 and Gamecube were both kinda shit. Nintendo's worst two systems, by a fairly significant margin. They deserved their low sales.

Wii U on the other hand is somewhat underrated and deserved to outsell both.

jasius

Oct 28, 2017
Halo is one of the worst FPS series out there, it's driven by hype, which allows it brain dead AI, horrible map design(in the campagins) and a poorly thrown together story that people think is "amazing" due to the chanting style soundtrack. The best Halos are ODST and Halo 5. Halo 5 is when those bumblers at Bungie finally let Halo go into the hands of competent game makers, and it resulted in an actual good Halo game. By and large people don't like Halo 5 because they've been indoctrinated into thinking that Bungie are gods of game creation.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Beside smash melee and Metroid prime, nintendos first party games on that console sucked ass

Has the worst 3d Mario game ( sunshine ) not even a good game

Wind waker is such a weak Zelda title blows my mind how they got away with it by having a good artstyle

Mario kart double dash is also trash

Nintendo first party releases were so poor for that system that they'd release like 4 Mario party game for the cube almost every single year.

I disagree.

For one Double Dash was the greatest MARIO Kart until 8 arrived. The dual item mechanic was the best thing to come out of the series, plus the tracks were excellent.

Metroid Prime was one of the greatest games of all time.

Wind Waker is an excellent game

Star Wars Rogue Squadron was amazing, as was Pikmin, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, and Luigi's Mansion.

The system had better third party support from major publishers then any Nintendo system since the SNES.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I've started to just assume that 99% of the people who complain one way or the other about a major-release game's combat/controls being "terrible" or "awful" are just bad at videogames.

I know it's lazy, and unfair, and that I shouldn't do that... but it's hard for me to take seriously after years of seeing EVERY major release have at least a handful of sour apples complaining about a game, usually the otherwise universally praised ones, having "terrible" combat or controls every single time.

Last edited:

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
Gamecube was bad if you only cared for a strict selection of Nintendo first party games, like Mario Sunshine-Wind Waker (worst 3d mainline Mario and Zelda games ever) or Mario Kart Double Dash (very weak series' entry), but it still had great stuff like REbirth, F-Zero GX, two Metroid Prime games, two Pikmin games, arguably the best Smash Bros game, gems like Eternal Darkness, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, Baten Kaitos, etc. It might also have a special place in some fans' heart for being the very last "gamer focused" Nintendo console.

The Wii had surely a pretty good game lineup overall, but it's probably also the worst generation-leading console ever.

That's the thing with every Nintendo console past the Snes: their worth is vastly built around first party games, and people's opinion about them can vastly differ depending on wich selection of ips they care the most.

Puru

Oct 28, 2017
I've started to just assume that 99% of the people who complain one way or the other about a major-release game's combat/controls being "terrible" or "awful" are just bad at videogames.

I know it's lazy, and unfair, and that I shouldn't do that... but it's hard for me to take seriously after years of seeing EVERY major release have at least a handful of sour apples complaining about a game, usually the otherwise universally praised ones, having "terrible" combat or controls every single time.
Those dodge roll/parry games gives me the feeling i'm just playing a rythm game in slow motion.

Oct 28, 2017
You know what really made Gamecube a good system? The third party games. First party wise I'm not big on it. But it had the motherfucking Resident Evil Remake exclusive. It had Super Monkey Ball 1 and 2. Some notable third party titles were absent, yes, but all in all the third party support was solid and there were a lot of good titles.

Oct 25, 2017
Mod Edit [Image Removed]

Well, now I kinda wish that I'd been awake to see what this was.

The N64 did not kinda suck. It was all-time great. Almost every first-party game put out was great. Stuff like 1080 and Wave Race and Smash (and I guess Animal Crossing if you were in the JPN region) were these great new IPs with fun gameplay. The creativity level at Nintendo was off the charts. They had actual good sim sports games for the time with Courtside being a good first-party effort.

They put out games that were arguably the best in their IP across multiple series (Mario, StarFox, F-Zero, LoZ, etc.).

The multiplayer was better on that console than any other Nintendo console before or since. The four-player AKI wrestling games alone see to that, but GoldenEye was great in its day (and was like the only Rare game worth playing on that console, tbh). The array of competitive fighters, racers, arcade sports, and sim sports made it the place where my friends and I played local multi, only to be later matched by playing OG Xbox over LAN.

There are so many random gems on the console. Snowboard Kids. Pokemon Snap. Mischief Makers. I could go on for a long time. There might have been fewer releases for the console, but the general quality and creativity of those releases was so high, it was sort of staggering.

Nintendo never got close to as interesting from a first-party development perspective as they did in the N64 era again until the Switch came out.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guys there's no need to argue. The N64 and Gamecube were both kinda shit. Nintendo's worst two systems, by a fairly significant margin. They deserved their low sales.

Wii U on the other hand is somewhat underrated and deserved to outsell both.

Wii U? Over Gamcecube? When most of Wiiu's best titles are already on Switch? Baby what's going on.

Enrico25

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2018
The only thing someone has to do to convince me that the Zelda franchise is a game journalist darling is to throw at me the metacritic page of spirit tracks. 87 out of 100, what a joke, if it had be anything else it would have been butchered.
Spirit Tracks is great.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Games that like to pretend they're movies with on rails setpieces and cutscenes every 5 minutes are boring and have little replay value (see MGS4, God of War, Uncharted etc)
Donkey Kong Country games on SNES are just extremely ugly looking games and always were
Sonic 1 through 3+Knuckles are better than any 2D Mario game (NES, SNES, NEW series etc)
FIshing in NIER was blown way out of proportion, and the game actually lets you skip the segment if you find it difficult
Bayonetta 1 is better than Bayonetta 2
Star Fox Zero is immersive as hell and a good game if you can get past some odd controls (see Kid Icarus Awakening)
Kingdom Hearts series really isn't all that great and Disney heavily clashes with Final Fantasy
MGS5 could have been one of the greatest games ever made but was a complete flop, and Kojima is more responsible for this than people will accept
Earthbound, while fun and charming as hell, doesn't come close to being as solid an RPG as Chrono Trigger
Super Mario 3D World is better than either Galaxy game by a big margin
Sonic series gets way more hate than it deserves, yes there are stinkers but I don't think any series is perfect
No More Heroes is a bad game with good characters and good cutscenes
Melee is way too fast and Brawl gets way too much hate, yes tripping is bad, but Brawl is very well rounded
Xenoblade X is one of the best RPGs ever made
DOOM 2016 is the best FPS since the original and Duke 3D
Yearly sports games are just terrible, terrible advertisements and should be considered under the same scrutiny movie tie-in games receive
Gamecube was vastly superior to Xbox
Yoko Taro is a genius and is one of the best developers in the industry and deserves way more recognition, and his NIER series being comparable to Xenoblade in terms of best RPGs of the modern era
Final Fantasy post 7 just was never all that good (save for 9 and the aforementioned 15)
Kojima's MGS trailers/marketing are lies (see MGS2 - Raiden being hidden, MGS4 - death of Solid Snake, MGS5 - the downfall of Big Boss, including killing children)
Wolrd of Warcraft, and all similar MMOs are bad, bad games, with terrible gameplay and awful UI
Resident Evil Zero doesn't deserve its hate and is a better RE than 4, 5, 6 and 7
Crash Bandicoot is a terrible character and his games are awful (Spyro is better)
Inti Creates does not deserve the hate they received from Mighty Number 9, as they have made some fantastic games and are one of the best Indy devs out there
Ubisoft, and all Ubisoft games (of the modern era) are bad, except for Child of Light
Call of Duty is one of the worst games to ever impact gaming as much as it did (i.e. it spawned way too many copycats and was a huge blotch over the previous console generation)
PS2 era GTA games are janky as heck, and were so even at the time of release
Soul Calibur series is the best 3D fighting game series and far better than Tekken
ALBW is a better game than ALTTP
Shantae and Shovel Knight deserves slots in Smash Bros before any other Western character

whew, that there's a lot of wrong. There's some right, but a whole bunch of wrong.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
I heavily dislike how 'western' (Sony) PlayStation has become in its approach to gaming, especially/mostly with their own games. Consequently I feel pretty alienated towards the platform / brand.

I'd wish there were more quality releases by Studio Japan and that there were more Japanese Sony studios in general.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty satisfied with GameCubes first Party line up. It was about what i excepted after the N64.

I was never in the camp that was disappointed with Sunshine and i would put it above 3D World. The game was a joy to play once i got it in 2002 and it has only grown on me more with ever subsequent replay. Mario felt excellent to control and i enjoyed exploring all the worlds. I was kind of bummed that many disliked it back in the day but from my perspective after playing disappointing crap like Sonic Adventure,DK64 and Tooie. Sunshine immediately felt like a masterpiece by comparison. In retrospect the game did need a few extra months in the oven but whenever the mood strikes i can still have a blast with the game .

Wind Waker was great even if the lack of a few dungeons stings. Loved the sailing aspect and the sense of adventure was greater than in any previous Zelda game. It was the first Zelda game that made me want something like Breath of the Wild in terms of freedom but sadly Nintendo went in the opposite direction with the next few installments. I'm not sure how i would rank the 3D Zelda games but i know that BOTW goes to the top and Skywards Swords fits into the bottom for being nothing but a chore to play.

Double Dash has been surpassed by pretty much every Mario Kart that came out after it but it was the first Mario Kart that i enjoyed. Mario Kart 64 was primitive and CTR made it look like a joke even back in the day. Seriously why do people like Mario Kart 64? That game sucks.

Then we had other amazing stuff like Prime,TTYD, Pikmin,Melee, F Zero GX and Eternal Darkness to name a few .

I don't get the hate for the GameCube's first party lineup. I'ts significantly overblown. I think it shits all over Wii U's offerings at least and Mario 64 aside i did prefer it to the N64 first party lineup. If only for the fact that the N64 did not have a single Metroid game.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
've started to just assume that 99% of the people who complain one way or the other about a major-release game's combat/controls being "terrible" or "awful" are just bad at videogames.

I feel this way about gamers and puzzle games. I recently finally played The Witness, and while I thought it was good, gamers made it out to be some insane esoteric experience when Justin McElroy at Polygon actually nailed it: "The Witness is maze puzzles. Full stop."

The way people talk about puzzles being good in old Tomb Raider games (for example) is what I don't get. None of those were hard. Half the time the puzzles are just well-known ones (like I've done the Towers of Hanoi like a dozen times).

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty satisfied with GameCubes first Party line up. It was about what i excepted after the N64.

I was never in the camp that was disappointed with Sunshine and i would put it above 3D World. The game was a joy to play once i got it in 2002 and it has only grown on me more with ever subsequent replay. Mario felt excellent to control and i enjoyed exploring all the worlds. I was kind of bummed that many disliked it back in the day but from my perspective after playing disappointing crap like Sonic Adventure,DK64 and Tooie. Sunshine immediately felt like a masterpiece by comparison. In retrospect the game did need a few extra months in the oven but whenever the mood strikes i can still have a blast with the game .

Wind Waker was great even if the lack of a few dungeons stings. Loved the sailing aspect and the sense of adventure was greater than in any previous Zelda game. It was the first Zelda game that made me want something like Breath of the Wild in terms of freedom but sadly Nintendo went in the opposite direction with the next few installments. I'm not sure how i would rank the 3D Zelda games but i know that BOTW goes to the top and Skywards Swords fits into the bottom for being nothing but a chore to play.

Double Dash has been surpassed by pretty much every Mario Kart that came out after it but it was the first Mario Kart that i enjoyed. Mario Kart 64 was primitive and CTR made it look like a joke even back in the day. Seriously why do people like Mario Kart 64? That game sucks.

Then we had other amazing stuff like Prime,TTYD, Pikmin,Melee, F Zero GX and Eternal Darkness to name a few .

I don't get the hate for the GameCube's first party lineup. I'ts significantly overblown. I think it shits all over Wii U's offerings at least and Mario 64 aside i did prefer it to the N64 first party lineup. If only for the fact that the N64 did not have a single Metroid game.

I won't even say pretty satisfied, I will just say I thought it was great.
GoW was on rails? There's no way you are talking about the new game, right? Did you not play it?

Oct 25, 2017
GX is a good game. My top five on that console is Jungle Beat, Melee, GX, CvS2, and FF: CC. The Mario Golf game is solid. That's...about it.

It didn't help that I also had a Dreamcast and an OG Xbox that generation, which I think are the two best consoles ever made. It's hard to compare to those.

Escaflow

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Never really get FF7 . For me FF8 is better . Question my JRPG taste but my top 3 JRPG of all time is FF8 , Shadow Hearts Covenant and Persona 5 in no order .

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I heavily dislike how 'western' (Sony) PlayStation has become in its approach to gaming, especially/mostly with their own games. Consequently I feel pretty alienated towards the platform / brand.

I'd wish there were more quality releases by Studio Japan and that there were more Japanese Sony studios in general.

It feels like Sony stopped developing Japanese exclusives because Japanese 3rd parties were making most of their games exclusive there anyway. Hopefully the Switch will kick Sony into developing more Japanese 1st party titles so they can reclaim some of the market.

(Freedom Wars 2 when Sony)

Mar 23, 2018
I just feel like Naughty Dog could try to do much more, but I guess they're currently making so much money for Sony that they don't see a reason to try out new things.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017

Sony looks very ashamed to show any kind of japanese game most of the times, especially during their E3 conferences, and their non-From/GT/Kojima japanese productions are always very low budget compared to their western counterparts. I guess they know that they're vastly covered by third party games, but it's still a damn shame, it feels like they just want to be very Microsoft-ish and american centric.