• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, low obligation art thread time!

Hallo, everyone and fellow Erartists!
Join me and others in our daily artist struggles in just trying to get through our sketches and WIPs!
IT DOESN'T EVEN HAVE TO BE DAILY! IT'S WHENEVER YOU FEEL LIKE IT!
Whatever your skill or motivation level, it's always good to stretch those creative and contemplative muscles and FINISH A THING!

While for some people, art is a mode of emotional expression and introspection, for me, it's more about ideas and character study (and OCs). I think all forms of arting are valid, so drop in with some pieces you need to work on or zen scribbles as you see fit! And fanart. And furry art. And shipping art. Throw it all in here! You are not obligated to critique or do anything other than make an art attempt. :D

ART-ERA THREAD DIRECTORY:
- Art ERA Discord ( https://discord.gg/NxtwR4r )​
It's our discord chat for the many artists on this forum!​

Post finished works and encourage feedback and motivation from one another!​
Goal to draw once a day! Ready, steady, go!​
A WIP and scribbles and sketches thread with no feedback required haha. Low obligation! High satisfaction!​
Self-explanatory, participate with everyone to try to do daily ink-based art for the month of October!​
Photography thread where you post a photo a day!​
Reference, info, and inspo thread for newbies and studious learners alike! This is a duplicate of NeoGAF's DEATH™'sArt Self Study |OT| Putting the Fun in Art Fundamentals

Thread for ResetERA webcomic creators and budding comic creators to trade tips, tricks, and ethusiasm!​
Thread for people to warm up on drawing each other's portraits! All skill levels welcome to try each other on!​
NO JUDGMENTS! NO CRITIQUES! NO OBLIGATIONS! (unless you want them!) Just pure artings!

If your stuff is NSFW, please just link to it with a warning and small description.

Yes the OP is a little lackluster so maybe I will update it more later, but let us stick to ye olde adage:
DONE IS BETTER THAN NONE!
*THUMBS UP*

d64mkyd-6ad14f1d-1ae4-409a-9971-1ba94fc239f2.png

Last edited:

C.B.

Oct 26, 2017
England
!!! It's good to see you here Prax! I'll say my usual bit of "I'd love to participate and will try!" and then be awful at participating lmao

...honestly tho I will try...

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Freelances and inktober are sucking the art out of me already but after it is done i shall draw ... my avatar =P

OP
OP
Prax

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
About an hour of work because I PROCRASTINATED ALL DAY!!! :D

I got first pass of the first half his lineart done at least..
DNR44VRXkAADXhe.jpg:large

probably will finish sometime tonight if I decide to power through.

MrMysterio - hope to see some stuff from you soon!
m o n s t e r - NO PROBLEM! it's a good motivation thread! show off and run away! haha
Fiction yesss! - i know you got paintings to share!
C.B. - YES! you made your way here too! :D I feel like we both go through cycles of having a low of activity then nothing haha
Huw_Dawson - yay!! first non op arts! it fits the spooky season!
Servbot24 - ooh i know you'll have plenty of stuff. shame the other thread seems nuked?
Platy - post your inktobers here! lol 2 rocks with one... brush.. something

Last edited:

m o n s t e r

Oct 25, 2017
under your bed
Prax Will definitely contribute in the future. All I have is old stuff right now anyway :)
I finally received all of my art stuff that I hadn't had shipped from my last place, when I moved 7 months ago. This will definitely motivate me to get busy using it all again!

Benz On Dubz

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
I hope this is a good spot for my question. I've been given some black and white ink drawings that I'd like to convert to a digital format.

Is there a simple/free tool to clean up the splotchy ink lines? I'd like the them to have a nice solid look.

OP
OP
Prax

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
I hope this is a good spot for my question. I've been given some black and white ink drawings that I'd like to convert to a digital format.

Is there a simple/free tool to clean up the splotchy ink lines? I'd like the them to have a nice solid look.
Try Inkscape: https://inkscape.org/en/doc/tutorials/tracing/tutorial-tracing.en.html
That's a program I tried like.. 10 years ago! Haha. Hopefully they updated it by now. I wouldn't call it simple exactly, but it was pretty powerful.

You can also try this online one that just does things in one shot without fiddling:
http://www.vectorization.org/

I tried to test this image (mmm year 2000!) and vectorization gave the "best" instant results.
Barathrum.JPG
barathrum-vectorizationorg.jpg

DaToonie

Oct 26, 2017
Thank you for this thread!! Currently working on something for a friend.
The image on the left is just for reference! I need to redraw some things like the ears and tail to make him look more cat-like. Then I have to draw a Splatoon weapon in each hand (my weak point, ahhhh...). It's been fun to draw so far, though. :D

Deleted member 4372

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Prax thank you for this thread. Subbed and will definitely contribute, probably later today. I'm arting all day today, and really need to lay off posting haha. But I'll be back to contribute! :D

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
A co-worker of my dad's has a son with a heart condition who loves Iron Man. Last year, as a surprise for them I made a portrait of him as an Iron Man-inspired superhero. But since then I've changed the way I color my work, so this weekend I decided to go back and play with the color for poops and giggles.

Left = Original, Right = new color

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Ah, I should contribute to this on the regular, because I need to keep a more consistent and less lazy drawing schedule. I'm not a great artist by any means, but I really want to keep getting better. Basically, after I finished grad school, I found myself with crappy job prospects (after years of school, smh), and I was kind of adrift for a while before I finally found a good full-time position. In the meantime, I decided to go back to a hobby that I really enjoyed as a kid: cartooning/comics. It helped me feel a lot more grounded during my job search, like I was accomplishing something new. It's been a couple of years since then, and I've had a lot of fun with it. It's been great to feel like I'm learning something again, and to confront just sucking, making small gains slowly but surely.

I've since taken a couple of classes in sequential storytelling, inking, etc., but mostly I've just gotten somewhere (if I'm anywhere yet) by looking at a lot of stuff and thinking about what I like/want to do. I've tried to achieve a style that is somewhere between cute and cool, and that also looks distinctly "me". I've kind of hit on that in the past year, through a lot of practice, thought, illustrating some children's stories, and making a couple of (very rough) comics. I'm currently drawing a new comic book about post-apocalyptic music; these are some character design models for it, which should give you an idea of my style and what I'm trying to do. I'm kind of shy to show this stuff, but, well, you've gotta put yourself out there.
Bass_girl.jpg
Blue_boy.jpg
Fashionable_gun_boy.jpg

Gun_girl.jpg
Untitled-4.jpg
It may not look like much, but it's taken me a long time to get to this. :) My ambition is to finally complete a cool comics project that I'm proud of, and I think that this one will turn out pretty well. It's been going great so far. The main lesson I've learned from doing other comics is not to be too ambitious, length-wise. This story is just ten pages. When I've tried to go crazy and plan out stories that are hundreds of pages long, it's just been way too much to chew.

I've also tried to branch out stylistically in the past year, doing some ink profiles of friends/co-workers:

Proud_man.jpg
Action_guy_face.jpg
Melancholy_girl.jpg

Anyway, this is just an introduction to me and what I want to do! I hope to keep posting here, and continuing to grow.

Deleted member 3888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Subbed, I haven't drawn in a while, thinking about picking it back up again, at least to have something better to do to distract myself from alcohol abuse in my free time...

ooo found scribble i could post that i haven't already on the other sites

scribble83s1e.jpg

Last edited:

Benz On Dubz

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
Try Inkscape: https://inkscape.org/en/doc/tutorials/tracing/tutorial-tracing.en.html
That's a program I tried like.. 10 years ago! Haha. Hopefully they updated it by now. I wouldn't call it simple exactly, but it was pretty powerful.

You can also try this online one that just does things in one shot without fiddling:
http://www.vectorization.org/

I tried to test this image (mmm year 2000!) and vectorization gave the "best" instant results.
Barathrum.JPG
barathrum-vectorizationorg.jpg

That looks promising. Thanks!

faircure

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, I should contribute to this on the regular, because I need to keep a more consistent and less lazy drawing schedule. I'm not a great artist by any means, but I really want to keep getting better. Basically, after I finished grad school, I found myself with crappy job prospects (after years of school, smh), and I was kind of adrift for a while before I finally found a good full-time position. In the meantime, I decided to go back to a hobby that I really enjoyed as a kid: cartooning/comics. It helped me feel a lot more grounded during my job search, like I was accomplishing something new. It's been a couple of years since then, and I've had a lot of fun with it. It's been great to feel like I'm learning something again, and to confront just sucking, making small gains slowly but surely.

I've since taken a couple of classes in sequential storytelling, inking, etc., but mostly I've just gotten somewhere (if I'm anywhere yet) by looking at a lot of stuff and thinking about what I like/want to do. I've tried to achieve a style that is somewhere between cute and cool, and that also looks distinctly "me". I've kind of hit on that in the past year, through a lot of practice, thought, illustrating some children's stories, and making a couple of (very rough) comics. I'm currently drawing a new comic book about post-apocalyptic music; these are some character design models for it, which should give you an idea of my style and what I'm trying to do. I'm kind of shy to show this stuff, but, well, you've gotta put yourself out there.
Bass_girl.jpg
Blue_boy.jpg
Fashionable_gun_boy.jpg

Gun_girl.jpg
Untitled-4.jpg
It may not look like much, but it's taken me a long time to get to this. :) My ambition is to finally complete a cool comics project that I'm proud of, and I think that this one will turn out pretty well. It's been going great so far. The main lesson I've learned from doing other comics is not to be too ambitious, length-wise. This story is just ten pages. When I've tried to go crazy and plan out stories that are hundreds of pages long, it's just been way too much to chew.

I've also tried to branch out stylistically in the past year, doing some ink profiles of friends/co-workers:

Proud_man.jpg
Action_guy_face.jpg
Melancholy_girl.jpg

Anyway, this is just an introduction to me and what I want to do! I hope to keep posting here, and continuing to grow.

Aw, welcome! I really love your style, it's so cool and stylish :) Your color choices are really striking but not too wild as to be garish. I love the ears too, the way they stick out is so cute.

OP
OP
Prax

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
I did it! I uh.. finished the linearta nd flats. lol..
about 2-3 mroe hours to go to finish with shading.. Maybe tomorrow. hmmmmm

DNUwihvXcAEwUSk.jpg:large

Deleted member 3888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i don't know if i should get a new scanner, mine broke, can cell phone apps with the camera do the job? lol

i don't like sketching with a tablet

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
Hey Prax,

First of all, thank you for this thread. I'm not much of a sharer (mostly because I'm slow) but I love to lurk these threads.

One suggestion I have for the OP is DEATH's Art Self Study thread on GAF.

Honestly, it's one of the most comprehensive resources on the web period for all different kinds of suggestions, links, and information about so many different kinds of art. It's been a huge inspiration and resource for my own work and is absolutely fantastic for beginners or anyone trying to work on improving their own work. Years later, he still updates it with new information/recommendations and is totally cool with it being shared on ResetEra and elsewhere.

OP
OP
Prax

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
i don't know if i should get a new scanner, mine broke, can cell phone apps with the camera do the job? lol

i don't like sketching with a tablet
I think so. Phone apps have gotten pretty advanced. I'm sure a bunch of them fix paper skewing and everything. Give it a try and see how it comes out! Othewrise, you can always just have artful Instagram-liek shots of your sketches! lol
I still use my CanoScan LiDE scanner from time to time, but I've been full digital these days because lazy.

Hey Prax,

First of all, thank you for this thread. I'm not much of a sharer (mostly because I'm slow) but I love to lurk these threads.

One suggestion I have for the OP is DEATH's Art Self Study thread on GAF.

Honestly, it's one of the most comprehensive resources on the web period for all different kinds of suggestions, links, and information about so many different kinds of art. It's been a huge inspiration and resource for my own work and is absolutely fantastic for beginners or anyone trying to work on improving their own work. Years later, he still updates it with new information/recommendations and is totally cool with it being shared on ResetEra and elsewhere.

DEATH SHOULD COME HERE AND DUPLICATE IT AND HELP MANAGE THE THREAD HERE TOO! LOL
But sure, I can link to it in the OP. There is no need for the hard feelings between the two sides of the interweb art worlds!

Last edited:

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Tryed some digital stuff for today's inktober.
Flash for lines and photoshop for colors.
Sadly my tablet pressure was a no go so had to do the "small opacity, 300 strokes" thing =P

Feel free to critique everything you see from me on this thread

NTpBEO0.jpg

C.B.

Oct 26, 2017
England
Prax - haha yeah, I've been busy with a lot of work that I can't even display so I've died a little everywhere. Trying to get revive myself with some original content on the side! Of which I'll share a sketch I worked on today, the "rival" of the protagonist of my episodic comic I'm working on.

rivalbeiu9p.jpg

It's a relatively cheesy light-hearted thing following around a scientist that goes around on several lone man missions through space.

I realyl love the style of these and would love to see a comic with these kinds of colours too, really great combinations going on here. Starting off with smaller concise stories certainly seem to help actually achieve something enjoyable in a realistic frame of time!

Tryed some digital stuff for today's inktober.
Flash for lines and photoshop for colors.
Sadly my tablet pressure was a no go so had to do the "small opacity, 300 strokes" thing =P

Feel free to critique everything you see from me on this thread

If you're trying to get a blend of colours and don't have pen pressure available you can try using a soft edge brush (not sure if you're using PS or not but they do have a "soft round brush" default brush - if you turn down the flow of the brush as well as the opacity you'd get a more gradual blend. You'll still have to do quite a few strokes but it'll be help with a transition of colours. Cute work either way!

Borgnine

Oct 25, 2017
wip5osxz.jpg

WIP watercolor, about half way through. It's supposed to be Sigmund Freud as played by Viggo Mortensen. I'm not sure how well the likeness will come out, either way it will be a bearded man with a cigar.

Lateralus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
So I doodle. I dont have much 'saved' that I can share but I would like everyones opinion on if they are any good plus..
I have been debating in my head buying the 12.9 iPad Pro and perhaps trying that out. I hear its one of the best Art/Tablet options?

I have one pen doodle I can share. Its basically a joke. I asked my buddy what did he want me to doodle for him and he said "Willie Nelson, riding a Shark"...so thats what I did lol

The color doodles...are ghetto! How did I make them? With my finger lol. I Basically took a pic on Snapchat of a black surface and then used the paint option to draw photos.
So, opinions? Is a Tablet a good idea?

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I was shook when the old forum went down.

idk which thread to post in, tbh wish the art threads were consolidated, but since C.B.'s posting here.. hoho

tumblr_oyoceb21TJ1qccgmso1_1280.jpg

Original pencils

tumblr_oyi9baCqFG1qccgmso1_1280.jpg

Original pencils

Fuck
l2GIpB2.gif

Gorgeous colours, shading and concept. Excellent work.
I actually do like art threads; I get pretty jealous/competitive, so seeing the work you all do tends to inspire me.

Prax - haha yeah, I've been busy with a lot of work that I can't even display so I've died a little everywhere. Trying to get revive myself with some original content on the side! Of which I'll share a sketch I worked on today, the "rival" of the protagonist of my episodic comic I'm working on.

rivalbeiu9p.jpg

It's a relatively cheesy light-hearted thing following around a scientist that goes around on several lone man missions through space.

Well that's just cool. Great unique design~

I'm working on a massive Final Fantasy 30th anni personal projects where I draw the leading ladies of the games... this means 15 portraits of (what I'm planning on being) pretty decent quality work (more than sketch, less than stand-alone pieces). And I've totally over-committed, this has been pretty tough to get through, but I wanted to do this as a way to really force me to work with a lot and faster.
Here's a tease of 4/15 @_@

I will say I like switching out which Im working on if I get bored/strained by one, helps keep things fresh.
0CaqSIZ.jpg

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017
We need watched thread folders so I can keep track of all these art threads :0

Lateralus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
So..as I stated in my last post..about to pull the trigger and order an iPad for to try my hand with Procreate.
Stop me if its a bad idea! Lol

Lateralus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
It's a very good idea. Extremely powerful app that I use almost exclusively now. You won't regret it. With iOS 11, it's godlike.

I worry my skills arent all that great. You guys are all so much better then me! If you look above at my first post in this thread you can get a sense of my ability.
Think I may be jumping the gun and maybe I should keep doodling on paper?

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I worry my skills arent all that great. You guys are all so much better then me! If you look above at my first post in this thread you can get a sense of my ability.
Think I may be jumping the gun and maybe I should keep doodling on paper?
Hey we all start somewhere. I've always said "talent" is a horseshit word when it comes to what I do. I've been drawing for as long as I could hold a pencil. I'm 36. It's about work first. Put in the work and you will see results.

As far as feeling like the iPad might be too much? That's entirely up to you. It's expensive but an amazing piece of tech. If you really think you care enough about creating illustrations, and can afford it without issue, it won't steer you wrong. Of course it does plenty of other things so it's way more than that. But you can't go wrong with a standard pencil and paper either. :)

Lateralus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Hey we all start somewhere. I've always said "talent" is a horseshit word when it comes to what I do. I've been drawing for as long as I could hold a pencil. I'm 36. It's about work first. Put in the work and you will see results.

As far as feeling like the iPad might be too much? That's entirely up to you. It's expensive but an amazing piece of tech. If you really think you care enough about creating illustrations, and can afford it without issue, it won't steer you wrong. Of course it does plenty of other things so it's way more than that. But you can't go wrong with a standard pencil and paper either. :)

Gonna order one!

Is the lowest memory size ok? If Im using it strictly as an art tablet?

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna order one!

Is the lowest memory size ok? If Im using it strictly as an art tablet?
Unless I'm missing something, the lowest is 64 GB, right? I bought the first version and that was at 32 GB. With a bunch of movies and art pieces on it, along with tons of apps, I still have plenty of space. You'll be set.

FRV

Oct 27, 2017
Ez73IFy.jpg

Next: Was just going to be a head but gonna add full body and later redo the whole piece with clean lines.

I've a bad habit of using my mice to draw. I don't draw alot and when I feel the urge to draw I can't be bothered to set up the tablet, somehow more convient with a mice.

So yeah, the lines are quite bad and messy.

Last edited:

Graefellsom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Might turn this into a screen print at some point. Still need to do a fair amount of work to it though. For some reason I almost always subconsciously have my characters looking to the left. Gonna try to get away from ghosts a bit as well.
Witchghostforweb.jpg

RobotHaus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mars University
Might turn this into a screen print at some point. Still need to do a fair amount of work to it though. For some reason I almost always subconsciously have my characters looking to the left. Gonna try to get away from ghosts a bit as well.
Witchghostforweb.jpg

Yo, this rocks. I love the texture!

Sidenote, does anyone have any suggestions for a decent drawing tablet for Windows 10? My old one doesn't detect pressure sensitivity anymore and I'd love to get a replacement sometime soon.

A_Jazzy_Book

Oct 27, 2017
Witchghostforweb.jpg
Creepy, I love it! Getting strong "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark," vibes with the texture work!

Graefellsom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Yo, this rocks. I love the texture!

Sidenote, does anyone have any suggestions for a decent drawing tablet for Windows 10? My old one doesn't detect pressure sensitivity anymore and I'd love to get a replacement sometime soon.

Thank you! I remember there being a thread in the old place that looked like it had good suggestions

Creepy, I love it! Getting strong "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark," vibes with the texture work!

Thank you! I'd not heard of that book before, just checked it out now.. really loving Stephen Gammell's illustrations

Lateralus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
No wheres close to being as good as you guys..but, I did it!

iPad 12.9" purchased along with an Apple Pencil!
Time to dive into some tutorials and starting practicing!

OP
OP
Prax

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Wow ;ast week was a trainwreck but okay.. back to business!

DNzYz3qVQAAlyWc.jpg:large

shoudl be done in a coupel of hours.. i think?